Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10687&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:27:17 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Repetition Of History, Food for Thought...
husbandoftheyear
post Aug 29 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,078

Some say that history has a way of repeating itself.

- The history -

A long time ago in England, there was a very spoiled king, Henry 8th to be precise. He got what he wanted, when he wanted it, unfortunately, and too often to the detriment of others. England prospered and Henry was happy except for the fact that after well over a decade of marriage to Queen Catherine of Aragon, and after many miscarriages and stillbirths, Henry realized that she would never give birth to a living son and heir. Some may say she "neglected to fulfill her duties" as his queen. Now, Henry was never what you would call a devoted husband. In fact, he had many mistresses (but none that kept his attention for very long) and actually had other children out of wedlock - including a son. But this son couldn't rule.

What could have been just another affair changed the course of history when he happened upon a young woman, Anne Boleyn, the sister of one of his mistresses. He was instantly taken with the young woman as she had spirit - and brains. Amazingly, she refused to be anything to him but his wife! After a couple of years of Henry trying to persuade Anne to be his mistress, he realized that she wouldn't give in. So, lusting after Anne and realizing she was young enough to produce an heir, he set about to dethrone his wife, Catherine, and usher in a new woman. Now - you may think that an all-powerful king would be able to just put aside one wife for another, but Henry didn't want to simply seek a divorce. No, no! That would imply that there could have been some wrongdoing or at the very least lead to a very displeased Pope. He set out to have it annulled - as if the last fifteen years had never happened! How did he suppose to do it? Ah - that is where the real irony comes in!

Henry was a second son, and therefore never to be king. As such, Henry was schooled in the teachings of the Bible. Amazingly, he was being groomed for the church! It should be noted that he was, in fact, very well educated in the Good Book. Henry's brother, Arthur, was the firstborn as well as the first husband of Catherine of Aragon. Yes, the same Catherine of Aragon that would marry Henry, her brother-in-law. Catherine was very briefly married to Arthur, but after the wedding, he soon fell ill and died. Henry 7th, Arthur and Henry's father (and king), was determined to keep Catherine in the family to ensure the alliance with Spain. So he pushed Henry to marry Catherine, several years his elder.

In order for Henry to marry Catherine, technically his sister, a formal hearing was held to determine whether or not Catherine's marriage to Arthur was consummated. After all the "evidence" was presented along with Catherine's adamant denial of copulation, it was found that Catherine was indeed a virgin, and therefore, free to marry Henry. How could this matter? Well, over 15 years later, Henry would use Catherine's marriage to Arthur as a way of escape.

Most likely thankful of his knowledge of the Bible, Henry found a way to put away his wife "in the name of God." You may be interested to know where he found his evidence. It is Leviticus 20:21 "If a man takes his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing...they shall be childless."

If Henry wanted to appear just as much a victim in this whole ordeal as the Queen, Henry obviously couldn't be the one to begin accusations of the sinful relationship. He sent his right-hand man to plead with the Pope that God had cursed the royal marriage on the grounds that Henry and Catherine were, in the eyes of God, brother and sister. His evidence - no children! (He overlooked Mary, their daughter, as she was, unfortunately, not a son.) With the wheels set into motion, Henry ran to Catherine all in a panic, tears streaming down his face, so distraught to tell his wife that "learned (intelligent) and pious" men were setting out to find their marriage invalid. Catherine was aghast and bewildered; remembering the embarrassing ordeal it had been to obtain the permission to marry Henry. Promising his love and support Henry bent on one knee as he forced more tears and told his wife, his "beloved wife", that if it was true, that their marriage was cursed by God, being the spirit-filled man that he was, that he would have to make amends and leave her lest the wrath of God continue. Cue more tears.

The battle was on! Catherine, not knowing that Henry was really at the heart of the matter hurriedly sent a note to the Holy Roman Emperor, who just happened to be her nephew, Charles, pleading for his help. He contacts the Pope, who has already told Henry's messenger that the marriage is legal, considering the dispensation for Henry to marry Catherine was signed and legitimized by none other than the Pope himself. Catherine learns that it is in fact, Henry behind the scandal and his reasoning. He wanted to marry another! He lovingly offers and pleads with her to retire to a nunnery and allow him to marry Anne. Catherine, being in love with her husband and refusing to be shamed, pleads her case when a Papal legate is sent to England to hear the trial. On June 21st, 3 weeks after the institution of the tribunal, Queen Catherine stood up from her throne, gracefully walked over to Henry's throne, and fell at Henry's feet. She kneeled and begged Henry not to divorce her and insisted she loved and served only him. Once again, she declared that she had never been intimate before they were married. Perhaps the next scene is even more powerful:

"When she had finished, Queen Catherine rose up, she swept her husband a low curtsey, and
leaning on the arm of her gently-man usher, Griffeth Richards, moved slowly out of the court.
The official court crier called after her - three times. At last her nervous usher ventured to say
to her: 'Madam, ye be called again.' 'It matters not', replied the Queen, 'this is no indifferent
[unprejudiced] court for me. I will not tarry.'

With all the grace and dignity as only a true queen could possess, she left the room as silence fell around her.

This committee refused to make a decision and submitted it to the Pope. He in turn finds the marriage entirely valid, and Henry is absolutely outraged. In a strange turn of events, or perhaps the last-ditch effort on Anne's part to be queen, she becomes Henry's mistress and quickly becomes pregnant. Knowing that the baby will be a boy, Henry had to think of a way to get the current wife out, the future wife in, and his coming son legitimized. He decides to split from the Holy Roman Church and begin a new church in which he is the leader. Not only would he become vastly wealthy by acquiring tithe, become a vessel of the deity on earth, he could do as he pleased with his wife and ignore the Pope's threats of excommunication. So, he divorced his wife of his own authority, was excommunicated, and married Anne.

Think we're done with Henry? Not yet! We're on to wife #2. This story is much, much shorter. Anne is pregnant. Henry is free of Catherine and the Pope. Life is good - that is - until Anne gives birth to a beautiful baby girl! Henry, not even allowing for the fact there would, in all likelihood be other children, is immediately outraged. He was so sure that the baby would be a son. The new marriage is on the rocks. Henry entertains mistresses. Anne pleads to be given another chance to which Henry does. She becomes pregnant again. The months that Anne was pregnant the second time were not nearly as happy as her first pregnancy, knowing that the King expects - or rather - demands a son this time. Unfortunately, Anne gives birth to a dead baby boy. The King, furious, that this is happening all over, decides it's time for a new wife.

So, how does one go about dethroning another queen? It was actually easier the second time around. Henry bribed and coerced men in the Queen's company to bear false witness and confess to having intimate relations with Anne. Those who didn't go along with Henry's plan were killed or exiled. Anne was tried in court for heresy and condemned to death. Henry begged her to admit her crimes so that he could pardon her and save her life. Being the proud woman she was, refused, and was beheaded. And Henry was again free to marry.

So what happened to Henry? He married again of course! Jane Seymour, his third wife, produced a living son. She died shortly after and would be known as his "true and loving wife", his wife of less than 18 months. Henry died knowing his son was there to rule after him, not knowing that his son was soon to die. So who ruled? First, Mary, Henry's daughter by Catherine. After her, Elizabeth, Henry's daughter by Anne. Elizabeth would reign for the next forty years during what would be called the Golden Age. England prospered under her care. Henry was buried with his beloved wife, Jane, mother of his son, not realizing that it would be his daughter, not his son that would sit on the throne of England and would be the last of the Tudor monarchs.

- The similarities -

The powerful man who gets what he wants
The woman beside him who doesn't fulfill his needs
The use of God's word for one's own ambition
The martyrdom
The woman refusing to be removed
The sowing of seeds of doubt and lies
The disposal of the spouse
The entrance of a lady in waiting
The end of a dynasty (oops - this one is yet to come!)

This post has been edited by husbandoftheyear: Aug 29 2006, 08:14 PM

--------------------
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clay
post Aug 29 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #2

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

that was good... thanks for sharing that...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Aug 29 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #3

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

HOTY, That is one of my favorite world history stories!!!!! Yes, I can just hear Mr. Barham's voice now...............

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
husbandoftheyear
post Aug 29 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Intriguing isn't it?

Such brains in a man - and such foolishness.

bop.gif

--------------------
Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 29 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #5

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(husbandoftheyear @ Aug 29 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]148831[/snapback]

Intriguing isn't it?

Such brains in a man - and such foolishness.

bop.gif

It use to amaze me....but not, nothing surprises me anymore. huh.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Lucyladye
post Aug 30 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,018

I have the movie on this story....it's called "Anne Of A Thousand Days". Very interesting...if you get a chance, rent or buy it...truly amazing what he got away with.....but it nipped him in the end...tho' he was too dead to know it.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Aug 30 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #7

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

Yes, Lucy! Loved the movie!!!
QUOTE(Lucyladye @ Aug 30 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]148880[/snapback]

I have the movie on this story....it's called "Anne Of A Thousand Days". Very interesting...if you get a chance, rent or buy it...truly amazing what he got away with.....but it nipped him in the end...tho' he was too dead to know it.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Denny
post Aug 30 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #8

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Lucyladye @ Aug 30 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]148880[/snapback]

Henry ruled by the Divine right of kings so his behaivour was not a surpise, the king was never wrong there was no Parliament system to keep monarchs in check. Some countries still have absolute monarchy- one could pick a number of English monarchs who bumped people for for thier own gain- they make Danny look like Mickey mouse afro.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
inga
post Aug 30 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #9

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Denny @ Aug 30 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]148887[/snapback]

Henry ruled by the Divine right of kings so his behaivour was not a surpise, the king was never wrong there was no Parliament system to keep monarchs in check. Some countries still have absolute monarchy- one could pick a number of English monarchs who bumped people for for thier own gain- they make Danny look like Mickey mouse afro.gif
Actually, considering what Danny has done and gotten away with without ruling by "divine right" of kings , I think he's definitely in the same category as the ... umhh .. 'more colorful' of the "divine right" kings ...

What would he have done/do if he did rule by "divine right"? Would you like to be within his line of sight?

This post has been edited by inga: Aug 30 2006, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post
Barbara Kerr
post Aug 30 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,087

QUOTE(husbandoftheyear @ Aug 29 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]148821[/snapback]

- The similarities -

The powerful man who gets what he wants
The woman beside him who doesn't fulfill his needs
The use of God's word for one's own ambition
The martyrdom
The woman refusing to be removed
The sowing of seeds of doubt and lies
The disposal of the spouse
The entrance of a lady in waiting
The end of a dynasty (oops - this one is yet to come!)

Wow! What a story. When I was in England last October I stood in the very place that Anne was beheaded. I wish I had understood the story before I visited that place. Let me see if I can find a photo. Oh well, I just can't figure out how to get something from "My Pictures" into this forum. Maybe later.

And by the way, the end of the dynasty is here. Linda was vindicated two days ago. The details just haven't been made public yet. The next three weeks (or so) ought to be interesting! I WILL keep you posted as I'm allowed to share details.

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 30 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #11

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Barbara Kerr @ Aug 30 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]148924[/snapback]

Wow! What a story. When I was in England last October I stood in the very place that Anne was beheaded. I wish I had understood the story before I visited that place. Let me see if I can find a photo. Oh well, I just can't figure out how to get something from "My Pictures" into this forum. Maybe later.

And by the way, the end of the dynasty is here. Linda was vindicated two days ago. The details just haven't been made public yet. The next three weeks (or so) ought to be interesting! I WILL keep you posted as I'm allowed to share details.

We must still pray for her safety. There are problems with the brakes of her car.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
missthg
post Aug 30 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #12

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 9

I'll be putting this movie in my netflix que!

--------------------
life is too short to knit with ugly yarn....
www.knitfloozy.blogspot.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

+Quote Post
husbandoftheyear
post Aug 30 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Lucyladye @ Aug 30 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]148880[/snapback]

I have seen the movie a couple of times. The acting was pretty close to the attitudes of the characters...and if you're wondering - yes, they did call Anne, "Anne of a Thousand Days."

There are also a couple of really good books on the subject..."The other Boleyn Sister" ( I think thats what it is called...Remember, Henry had a child with Mary Boleyn - Anne's older sister...) along with several from the same author I believe. I'll have to looke them up and get back to you.

This post has been edited by husbandoftheyear: Aug 30 2006, 07:45 PM

--------------------
Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
Truly Blonde
post Aug 30 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,160

QUOTE(Johann @ Aug 30 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]148940[/snapback]

We must still pray for her safety. There are problems with the brakes of her car.

Are you implying she is in physical danger? and if so do we assume it is from Danny?
Truly Blonde

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 30 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #15

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Aug 31 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]148953[/snapback]

Are you implying she is in physical danger? and if so do we assume it is from Danny?
Truly Blonde

Keep praying. . .

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:27 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church