Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11298&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:51:47 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's Bigger Than 3abn
Clay
post Oct 23 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #16

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Oct 23 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]157848[/snapback]

Having grown up under the rules that govern the heiarchy of the church I believe today the president would not have resigned. Thirty years ago a pregnancy by an unwed daughter could have cost the president his job if he hadn't resigned.

I cannot tell you the pressure that our church exerted on pastors and the leaders of the church. We were to be examples for the rest of the church members. When I was in the academy, on a weekend leave I went to a movie with some of my friends. (A drive-in no less). The first movie I ever attended. I was told that I could be expelled from school for doing this.(I wasn't) but I could have because of who my father was. It made no sense to me because they would show movies at the academy and that was ok, just not in a theater. My father's job could also have been in jeopardy. This was a heavy burden for a teenager to carry. For you youngins this is very hard to comprehend. Today even the pastors attend movies and think nothing of it. It wasn't always so!!!

I would say the bigger issue here is why was that kind of pressure put on the employees of the church back then? I personally feel that if things had been different back then a lot more of the church employee's children would still be in the church.

I am old enough to remember that craziness..... it was wrong then and it would be wrong now.... double standards and inconsistent disciplinary actions.... same old story.... as I have said, some people have given the church toooo much power over their lives....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denny
post Oct 24 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #17

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Oct 24 2006, 03:04 AM) [snapback]157848[/snapback]

I would say the bigger issue here is why was that kind of pressure put on the employees of the church back then? I personally feel that if things had been different back then a lot more of the church employee's children would still be in the church.

The church stressed works more than relationship so it was not who you knew but what you did that counted more....Sometime we think society was 'more moral' back in the day I prefer to think society including the church was better at covering things up and the stigma of getting caught was greater than it is now. Plus some things should never have been taboo in the first place.

This post has been edited by Denny: Oct 24 2006, 05:53 AM

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Clay
post Oct 25 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Denny @ Oct 24 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]157878[/snapback]

The church stressed works more than relationship so it was not who you knew but what you did that counted more....Sometime we think society was 'more moral' back in the day I prefer to think society including the church was better at covering things up and the stigma of getting caught was greater than it is now. Plus some things should never have been taboo in the first place.

along that line remember some could get away with almost anything, others could not..... I suspect that when its all said and done this will be just a bump in the road... a big bump no less, but one that folks get over....

IPB Image

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:51 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church