Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13059&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:47:04 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Did 3abn Pass The Test?, (And kept out of the mainstream news...)
PeacefulBe
post Mar 25 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

Calvin,

Where is the story?

Yes, Tommy was "found out", it appears that charges have yet to be filed and now, like the Catholic Church did when it moved scores of abusive priests to other parishes, Tommy is "gone" from 3abn. And that means there is no story? All that means is that the cover-ups continue to have some success, but for how much longer?

If and when this finally sees the true light of day, IMO, it won't only be the story of a pastor's abuse of power but also how the president of a Christian ministry used his own power and influence to keep the alleged abuse out of the public eye by denial, minimization and intimidation.

The story won't be over until every victim has received Biblical restitution and there is the level of accountability needed to insure that other young men/boys are protected from victimization.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bystander
post Mar 26 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,777

[quote name='PeacefullyBewildered' date='Mar 25 2007, 09:41 PM' post='187769']
Calvin,

Where is the story?

Yes, Tommy was "found out", it appears that charges have yet to be filed and now, like the Catholic Church did when it moved scores of abusive priests to other parishes, Tommy is "gone" from 3abn. And that means there is no story? All that means is that the cover-ups continue to have some success, but for how much longer?

PB, TS was not a priest and 3abn is not a "parish." apples with oranges.

+Quote Post
calvin
post Mar 26 2007, 08:00 AM
Post #18

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Mar 25 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]187769[/snapback]

Calvin,

Where is the story?

If and when this finally sees the true light of day, IMO, it won't only be the story of a pastor's abuse of power but also how the president of a Christian ministry used his own power and influence to keep the alleged abuse out of the public eye by denial, minimization and intimidation.

The story won't be over until every victim has received Biblical restitution and there is the level of accountability needed to insure that other young men/boys are protected from victimization.

Points taken But I still don’t see where TS is a newsworthy story related to 3ABN that merits national attention. The analogy of the Catholic Church does not work for me. The problem was widespread, numerous parishes, not one individual, that is what brought the nation attention.

There is a story here. It played on AToday, BSDA, and maybe can get some press in Thompsonville. But from a practical viewpoint, why would CNN or Time or any other mainstream media care that Danny hired his brother an alleged child molester?

So let me rephrase my question. Where is the mainstream media story?

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 26 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #19

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(calvin @ Mar 26 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]187818[/snapback]

there isn't one except for those who are into 3abn..... and since it is an independent ministry, the church can distance itself from 3abn anytime it wishes IF say 3abn became bad press.... However some of us were of that opinion from day one.... dunno.gif

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Mar 26 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #20

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(calvin @ Mar 26 2007, 07:00 AM) [snapback]187818[/snapback]

Points taken But I still don’t see where TS is a newsworthy story related to 3ABN that merits national attention. The analogy of the Catholic Church does not work for me. The problem was widespread, numerous parishes, not one individual, that is what brought the nation attention.

There is a story here. It played on AToday, BSDA, and maybe can get some press in Thompsonville. But from a practical viewpoint, why would CNN or Time or any other mainstream media care that Danny hired his brother an alleged child molester?

Calvin,
My analogy was that Tommy being "gone" does not solve the problem just as it didn't solve the problem for the RCC to move offending priests from parish to parish. Yes, the vast scale of pedophile priests far outweighs one protestant pastor but the attempted solution by 3abn was the same. The victims have not been taken care of properly.

One pastor + x number of victims + the leader of a world wide conservative Christian ministry allegedly covering it up = less than a mainstream media story? Perhaps. But then look at the legs the Haggard story got.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post Mar 26 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 51

Several of you have mentioned that SDA ministries are not mainstream but look closely at the list supplied by MinistryWatch that they have deemed to be "suspect" about making financial records public. I saw three ministries listed with affiliations to the Adventist Church, namely, Amazing Facts, Quiet Hour and Your Story Hour. If I am not mistaken, these are all independent minstries with SDA affiliations.

Therefore there is someone out there who is not connected to the SDA church who has placed these "Adventist" ministries on the list of ministries who are suspect in disclosing financial records.

This does not mean, however, that there is something illegal going on at any of these minstries, or any of the other ones MinistryWatch has placed on their list.

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 26 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #22

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

this thread is closed for now.... FHB so to prove your point you "attack" the credibility of Mr. Joy and by default Pickle and Observer since you say they are his spokesmen.....

It may be reopened later.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
calvin
post Mar 26 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #23

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

Topic reopened but let's stay on topic.

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Mar 27 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #24

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

TVsnack.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Apr 1 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #25

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,189

Speed Reader Alert! The following quote is NOT about 3ABN, but about one of its main competitors.

Newly revealed facts and allegations regarding questionable financial transactions at Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) – initially reported in the Los Angeles Times – coupled with MinistryWatch.com’s previous concerns about the dubious “prosperity theology” often heard on TBN and the unusually large profits and investments generated by TBN’s operations, have caused MinistryWatch.com to issue a second Donor Alert for this ministry. Our concerns have only increased as a result of TBN’s public response, which is at times both caustic and misleading.

Accordingly, MinistryWatch.com is recommending a dramatic plan of action for the restoration of donor confidence in TBN, the world’s largest Christian television network. This plan would allow for a full investigation of the issues by a newly formed, completely independent commission of Christian leaders; for complete financial transparency at TBN to be realized; for a plan of action to be produced to raise the theological, financial, management and governance integrity of TBN to a level equivalent to those of most major Christian ministries; for repentance and restoration to occur for the Crouch family; and, for Paul and Jan Crouch to make restitution to TBN if findings warrant such action. The specific recommendations, which are guided by biblical principles, are found
below.

...MinistryWatch.com recommends that TBN’s thousands of donors prayerfully consider withholding any future donations to the ministry...

Should ...actions not be taken by the Crouches within a reasonable amount of time, MinistryWatch.com would regrettably have no alternative but to recommend to the IRS and the relevant state attorneys general that a full government-led investigation of the charity be undertaken to ensure that donors are being treated fairly and that the ministry’s charitable purpose, rather than the Crouches’ reported lavish lifestyle, is being diligently pursued.

For the full text, including some more specifics: http://ministrywatch.com/mw2.1/pdf/MWDA_092804_TBN.pdf

A few comments:

1) News is frequently created by the news production team in the absence of any "real" news to fill the air time/space. Having once "made the news", it then has opportunity to be mirrored in other news outlets as being "news." The decision for what is news, and what is not news, then, is often in the subjective hands of the news room producer(s). It usually follows a general set of guidelines, beginning with the all-important question of whether or not this "news" is relevant to the target audience. Once published/broadcast, the news team often receives more information from the public at large about it, and this can fuel the interest and continuation of that topic in subsequent news productions. There are already examples of very similar types of "news" having been presented to the public, such as the case in the above quote, which mentions an article in the LA Times.

2) News, nowadays, is as much online as through other sources. Anyone can be a news writer by simply posting online. Online news can be instantly accessible to the entire world, and no modern news team would choose to deny the importance of the internet for finding and gathering news.

3) Do not underestimate the status of 3ABN in the public eye. It is not necessarily just a "small potato." Note the following quote:

3ABN is the second-largest owner of Low Power TV stations in the U.S. In 2006 their broadcast outlets in the U.S. numbered over 100 stations, and they currently have several more construction permits.

The network also has a large Production Center in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, and has produced a wide variety of Russian language television and radio programming since 1993. The programs are aired throughout the Russian-speaking countries on approximately 150 television stations and several satellite channels.

In 1999 and 2000 3ABN expanded into radio and satellite television in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Currently 3ABN is distributed around the world via 8 satellites, and through streaming video and audio on the Internet.

The 3ABN Radio Network is growing rapidly in affiliates due to the FCC allowing for low power FM stations in the United States.

For full article of quote above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3ABN

It seems, then, that it may only be the hand of God which keeps 3ABN out of the limelight, either to preserve His honor, or to give more time for certain ones to make things right.

If you are one who needs to make things right, be aware that God is more merciful than His enemy. David, having wrongly numbered the people, made the choice to fall into the hands of God for his punishment, rather than the hands of the enemy. Will you?

--------------------
To copyright man's creation is to plagiarize God's gifts.

"Our salvation depends on a knowledge of the truth contained in the Scriptures." (COL 111.3)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:47 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church