Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13079&st=270 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:45:50 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dannyshelton.com, Huh?
Snoopy
post Apr 3 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #271

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(Pickle @ Apr 3 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]189853[/snapback]

We try to stay kosher.

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

OK - this has gotten really funny, starting with the birth announcement!!

And I love that you all make the most of it!! clap.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Apr 3 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #272

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Snoopy @ Apr 3 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]189856[/snapback]

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

OK - this has gotten really funny, starting with the birth announcement!!

And I love that you all make the most of it!! clap.gif

Yes, we have met the challenge with relish!

roflmao.gif rofl1.gif roflmao.gif

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Apr 3 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #273

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Apr 3 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]189861[/snapback]

And what is relish but finely chopped pickle..... poor Pickle... he has been rather chopped to bits on here, hasn't he..... bangin.gif

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Apr 3 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #274

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Apr 3 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]189861[/snapback]

notworthy.gif roflmao.gif notworthy.gif roflmao.gif ......too much........!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
GrammieTana
post Apr 3 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #275

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE(Pickle @ Apr 3 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]189846[/snapback]

We're pretty straight-laced. Since the SoP says what it says about vinegar, we avoid it.

That last jar of home-canned pickles sure was good. Lemon juice, dill seed or whatever, garlic, a grape leaf. Not sure where the wife got the recipe, but it sure was good.

Yes, Mr. Pickle, I used to worry about the vinegar too, until I realized that when The Lady wrote about vinegar being so bad for us it really was very heavily alcohol and she was addicted! But when I read that what is processed today is totally different than what she wrote about, I stopped being concerned about it. So glad that your pickles turned out good, but I get a little ticked off when I see that the bakery at Apple Valley can't use vinegar as a preservative in their bread and it spoils a few days after purchase. Why can't people realize that some of the things she wrote about are no longer relevant in today's world! Yes, yes, I know that back in her day she was right, but even the world can grow out of wrongness every once in a while -- can't we do the same?? doh.gif

Okay, I'm getting down now. soapzip.gif

JT (Yes, SS Class, I'm thinking about a new name.)

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post Apr 3 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #276

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Clay @ Apr 1 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]189447[/snapback]

the group we dealt with were adventists but didnt know that there were black and white conferences..... they were under-informed about a great many things...

The heathens have hijacked the thread!! 2guns.gif

rofl1.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Apr 3 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #277

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(JustTana @ Apr 3 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]189866[/snapback]

Yes, Mr. Pickle, I used to worry about the vinegar too, until I realized that when The Lady wrote about vinegar being so bad for us it really was very heavily alcohol and she was addicted!

Have any links to info like that? It sounds interesting.

QUOTE(watchbird @ Apr 3 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]189863[/snapback]

And what is relish but finely chopped pickle..... poor Pickle... he has been rather chopped to bits on here, hasn't he..... bangin.gif

Not chopped up as bad here as over on http://www.christianforums.com/t4811533.

My wife has said for quite some time that she relishes our gherkins.

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Apr 3 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #278

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JustTana @ Apr 3 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]189866[/snapback]

Yes, Mr. Pickle, I used to worry about the vinegar too, until I realized that when The Lady wrote about vinegar being so bad for us it really was very heavily alcohol and she was addicted! But when I read that what is processed today is totally different than what she wrote about, I stopped being concerned about it. So glad that your pickles turned out good, but I get a little ticked off when I see that the bakery at Apple Valley can't use vinegar as a preservative in their bread and it spoils a few days after purchase. Why can't people realize that some of the things she wrote about are no longer relevant in today's world! Yes, yes, I know that back in her day she was right, but even the world can grow out of wrongness every once in a while -- can't we do the same?? doh.gif

Okay, I'm getting down now. soapzip.gif

JT (Yes, SS Class, I'm thinking about a new name.)

wow.gif What a refreshing viewpoint!! I SO agree!!!

+Quote Post
Fran
post Apr 3 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #279

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

I LOVE THIS NEW SKIN!

OK off topic. Sorry, back to the pickling subject at hand

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Apr 3 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #280

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Is this guy out to lunch, to quote one of Danny's emails? Or is the info old, since it speaks of vinegar containing alcohol?

Vinegar retards digestion
Experiments have shown that as small a portion of vinegar as one in 5,000 sppreciab1y diminishes the digestion of starch by its inhibiting or destructive effect upon the salivary amylase. One part in 1,000 renders starch digestion very slow and twice this quantity arrests it altogether. From these facts it becomes evident that vinegar, pickles (saturated with vinegar), salads on which vinegar has been sprinkled and salad dressings containing vinegir, are unwholesome substances to take into the human digestive tract, especially when taken with starchy foods such as cereals, bread, legumes, potatoes and the like.

Vinegar is not an evil merely because its highly toxic acetic acid content destroys ptylain (salivary amylase), but it also contains alcohol, which precipitates the pepsin of the gastric juice and retards or prevents gastric digestion of proteins. What wonder then that pickles and vinegar have been found useful in reducing weight. They cripple the first two stages of digestion. My readers should know that apple cider vinegar, which is so much lauded today as a "wonder drug" in folk medicine con tains both acetic acid and alcohol and is unfit for use, not alone because it impairs digestion, but also because it contains these two virulent poisons.

+Quote Post
Ralph
post Apr 3 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #281

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,002

QUOTE(Pickle @ Apr 3 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]189893[/snapback]

Is this guy out to lunch, to quote one of Danny's emails? Or is the info old, since it speaks of vinegar containing alcohol?

After reading everything on the page, I 'd say, "out to lunch." I have been in the chemistry labs too much to be concerned about the smell of acetic acid (and that is what gives vinegar its distinctive smell.)

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Apr 4 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #282

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ralph @ Apr 3 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]189941[/snapback]

After reading everything on the page, I 'd say, "out to lunch." I have been in the chemistry labs too much to be concerned about the smell of acetic acid (and that is what gives vinegar its distinctive smell.)

Here is another page that describes a laboratory experiment that demonstrates that vinegar has an adverse effect on amylase:

http://sps.k12.ar.us/massengale/amylase_on_starch_lab.htm
I found another one, I think, yesterday, but don't see it now.

One can find pages that claim that vinegar has a positive effect on diabetes, and this is supposed to be due to how it affects carbohydrate digestion. Well, if amylase action is impeded, that would make sense, though I question the wisdom of interfering with amylase as a means of controlling blood sugar.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Apr 4 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #283

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Pickle @ Apr 4 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]189963[/snapback]

Here is another page that describes a laboratory experiment that demonstrates that vinegar has an adverse effect on amylase:

http://sps.k12.ar.us/massengale/amylase_on_starch_lab.htm
I found another one, I think, yesterday, but don't see it now.

One can find pages that claim that vinegar has a positive effect on diabetes, and this is supposed to be due to how it affects carbohydrate digestion. Well, if amylase action is impeded, that would make sense, though I question the wisdom of interfering with amylase as a means of controlling blood sugar.

Before you go too far down this blind alley... take another look at the original page and note the multitude of erroneous and downright wierd statements, claims, and recommendations that the man is making. When he groups citrus fruits... including lemons and limes... in his things that "impede digestion".... you can bet your bottom dollar that he is a kook. And when he goes on to recommend anti-acids for digestion problems when the most common problem is a LACK of stomach acid rather than too much.... then grab your wallet tight, for he is revealed as not only a kook but a huckster. (The reason one feels as though one has too much "acid" with such things as "heartburn" is because there was not enough acid to properly digest the food and get it out of the stomach, so it sits and churns while the food is still not completely digested.)

Back to the EGW position on vinegar.... it was caused by the sheer AMOUNT of vinegar that was consumed in her day... as well as by the fact that it was not properly sterilized and stored, which resulted in it being a haven for "vinegar worms".... which, while not individually visible, formed a cloudy mass that hung at the bottom of vinegar jars, which people of that time called the "mother". They avoided ingesting the cloudy part as much as possible, but they would not have been completely successful in that.

A second reason for her admonition was the sheer amount of vinegar that was ingested each meal. Remember canning and pasteurization were not even invented when she began writing on health. Some items that would keep in cold storage, such as root vegetables and some fruits, but for others, the possibilities for preservation were drying, fermenting, preserving with sugar and pickling... which is actually a form of fermentation. Fruits could be dried or preserved with sugar. Vegetables could only be pickled.... either forming a "vinegar" of their own or by adding vinegar.

So a typical meal... especially in the winter... would have most of the vegetables in the form of pickles.... not all preserved with vinegar, but a goodly number of them. But that is not the whole story. Since one of my grandfathers kept to the "old style" of eating all of his life, I had opportunity to see for myself the typical use of vinegar... pouring it over a plate full of vegetables, potatoes, and meat, until all of them were swimming in vinegar. It would be my guess that the amount of vinegar consumed at one meal would easily be a full cup... possibly more.

Small wonder then, that it caused digestive problems that are simply non-existant with the teaspoon or possibly tablespoon full of vinegar that might be ingested in a few slices of dill pickle or in one's mayanaise or salad dressing. And those who prescribe vinegar or lemon juice as a health aid for various reasons are only prescribing a teaspoonful per meal.

As always.... one should keep one's common sense faculties on alert when reading either Ellen White materials or today's "health" admonitions! And "laboratory experiments" are no where near as safe a guide as reading widely in nutritional literature. Copious comparisons enables one to readily sort out the nuts.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Apr 4 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #284

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

WB,

What an interesting insight into the dietary habits and constraints of our forefathers! Once again it is so nice to be living in this modern age where we don't have to rely on vinegar and sugar to preserve our food. Surely makes one tempted to give the fridge a hug next time one is in the kitchen.

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Observer
post Apr 4 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #285

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Apr 4 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]189977[/snapback]

WB,

What an interesting insight into the dietary habits and constraints of our forefathers! Once again it is so nice to be living in this modern age where we don't have to rely on vinegar and sugar to preserve our food. Surely makes one tempted to give the fridge a hug next time one is in the kitchen.

PB

Is there anyone posting here who can remember the days of the icebox, and the people who delivered blocks of ice to your front door. I remember.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:45 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church