Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15250&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:04:10 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forgiveness, Must someone ask for it first before being forgiven?
Aunt B
post Sep 10 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,378

Forgiveness is a gift that we receive from God, even in the sense that we are able to forgive anyone.

In my experience, it is a gift that I have to ask for continually, especially when I need to forgive someone who does not know or acknowledge that they have wronged me. In this sense, it is an exercise between me and God. When I forgive someone who does not ask for it, it is a gift that I give myself; but more than that, it puts me in a correct relationship with God, as that is how He forgives.

The forgiveness at the cross was for all people, for all times. It is, in a sense, "on the table." It becomes mine when I go to the table and pick it up. To do that, I must admit that I need it. God has provided more than enough, but I limit how much I receive by my willingness to go to the table and pick it up.

It is my belief that people often make the mistake of thinking that forgiveness erases consequences. This is not so. God's forgiveness is complete, yet it does not spare us from the consequences of our choices. The first example of that is in Genesis. Adam and Eve were forgiven, yet they still had to leave the garden...and all without a 2nd chance. It is God's love that allows us to reap what we sow. It is our pain and sorrow for our sin that motivates us to change. Our repentance does not earn us our forgivenss. Forgiveness is an undeserved gift.

Forgiveness can be "on the table" for Tommy Shelton, yet never received by him if he doesn't "pick it up." In addition, that forgivess does not mean that he will not have to experience the consequences of his actions.

Just a few thoughts...

Aunt B
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:04 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church