Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19251&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 11:49:34 AM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dominion/sky Angel/3-abn No Longer Abailable After March
hfsturges
post Jan 15 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Welcome Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,888

Don't know if this is the right thread:

I got a letter yesterday from Dominion Satellite that their service will come to an end at the end of the first quarter 2008. This includes Dominion Sky Angel and all its programs, including 3ABN. The problems began in 1998 with a technical failure of the EchoStar III satellite where they lost 10 channels, and were able to restore all but three.

Since the establishment of Sky Angel on the EchoStar satellite the satellite industry has changed markedly. It would be prohibitively expensive for EchoStar to put up their own satellite. The original guarantee for Sky Angel was to have lasted for the life of the Satellite OR of the subscriber. To re-establish with a new satellite subscribers would have to pay again $350 - $400, plus a monthly fee. Their market research indicated their would not be enough support for them to make this feasible.

Personally, we have a Hope channel dish. We had trouble with it right from the start, but will have to look into it again.

Dominion is offering Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), known also as Web Streaming. They claim that this provides high-quality TV, Video on Demand, and access to programs that have already aired. Subscription prices are quoted as $14.99, $19.99, or 24.99 per month. Dominion offers Christian and Family Centered programming. I saw nothing about 3ABN in their letter or prochure.

Broadband access is required. You can visit www.skyangel.com and test your internet speed. If you have a dial-up connection (as we have in the country) you are out of luck.

Hubert F. Sturges
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jan 15 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

http://www.neulion.com/customers/partners.php It has been known for some time that Skyangel was moving to iptv. 3ABN and Skyangel are on the same carrier-Neulion. This is one reason why Skyangel dropping 3ABN was not a permanent hardship for 3ABN. See my Post #437 under the topic Jim Gilley takes over as President.

+Quote Post
grandmad
post Jan 25 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Welcome Newbie

Member No.: 4,255

QUOTE(lurker @ Jan 15 2008, 04:05 PM) *
http://www.neulion.com/customers/partners.php It has been known for some time that Skyangel was moving to iptv. 3ABN and Skyangel are on the same carrier-Neulion. This is one reason why Skyangel dropping 3ABN was not a permanent hardship for 3ABN. See my Post #437 under the topic Jim Gilley takes over as President.

Dish Network carries 3ABN on all of their packages. You have to use the same Sky Angel Dish pointing at 61.5 or get the Dish 1000. Of course you have to subscribe to a Dish Network package. Their Family package is really quite good and not real expensive. If you use the regular Dish dish and the Sky Angel dish, you can join them together with a switch for seamless viewing.

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jan 25 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #4

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(grandmad @ Jan 25 2008, 08:28 PM) *
Dish Network carries 3ABN on all of their packages. You have to use the same Sky Angel Dish pointing at 61.5 or get the Dish 1000. Of course you have to subscribe to a Dish Network package. Their Family package is really quite good and not real expensive. If you use the regular Dish dish and the Sky Angel dish, you can join them together with a switch for seamless viewing.

Umm, that is not my understanding. I was a Dish Network user and brought the lifetime membership to Sky Angel about 10 years ago so I could get 3abn. Switched to cable when I move to Omaha five years ago because at the time Dish did not carry the local affiliates. I still have the Sky Angel Dish working with my Cox cables setup, works fine switching back and forth, but it is just Sky Angel and not Dish. I just when to the Dish website and did a search for 3abn, you won't find it anywhere with their programing or in their packages.

Besides I would not subscribe to Dish again to get just 3abn, when for a one time charge of $179 I can get 9 Adventist channels and now they offer something caled Glorystar that has the Adventist channels and 30 other Christian channel for a one time $20 more charge. Much better deal.

I think you are going to find that once Sky Angel goes off the air in March, you will not be able to access 3abn with your Dish Network setup. I am ordering AdventistSat next week for my home

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jan 25 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #5

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

To order Sky Angel: http://www.orderskyangel.com/

For the channel list: http://www.orderskyangel.com/chanlist.html

I don't see 3abn offered.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
grandmad
post Jan 25 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #6

Welcome Newbie

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 25 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Umm, that is not my understanding. I was a Dish Network user and brought the lifetime membership to Sky Angel about 10 years ago so I could get 3abn. Switched to cable when I move to Omaha five years ago because at the time Dish did not carry the local affiliates. I still have the Sky Angel Dish working with my Cox cables setup, works fine switching back and forth, but it is just Sky Angel and not Dish. I just when to the Dish website and did a search for 3abn, you won't find it anywhere with their programing or in their packages.

Besides I would not subscribe to Dish again to get just 3abn, when for a one time charge of $179 I can get 9 Adventist channels and now they offer something caled Glorystar that has the Adventist channels and 30 other Christian channel for a one time $20 more charge. Much better deal.

I think you are going to find that once Sky Angel goes off the air in March, you will not be able to access 3abn with your Dish Network setup. I am ordering AdventistSat next week for my home

Go to dishnetwork.com and click on any program package and you will see 3ABN on channel 9710. I just looked myself. And we were watching it tonight. It has nothing to do with Sky Angel. We had Dish anyway so we could get local channels. It will be there until somthing takes it off there, too.

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jan 25 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #7

site admin
Group Icon

Don't need to get into a back/forth on this with you. I am watching 3abn on channel 9710 too and it has always been SkyAngel on the Dishnetwork system. Seeing that you do have to have another dish with Dishnetwork to receive 3abn anyway, my point is that there are better alternatives with more Adventist programing options. BTW, here is the link to Dish "all everything/ultimate package, no 3abn in the religious category. You may have the last word if you so desire, I am done.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_o...k/packages.aspx

+Quote Post
grandmad
post Jan 26 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #8

Welcome Newbie

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 25 2008, 11:10 PM) *
Don't need to get into a back/forth on this with you. I am watching 3abn on channel 9710 too and it has always been SkyAngel on the Dishnetwork system. Seeing that you do have to have another dish with Dishnetwork to receive 3abn anyway, my point is that there are better alternatives with more Adventist programing options. BTW, here is the link to Dish "all everything/ultimate package, no 3abn in the religious category. You may have the last word if you so desire, I am done.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_o...k/packages.aspx

I don't post because I don't like back and forth, just want folks to know an option. 3 ABN is listed under public interest, not religious on the Dish programming. Here is the copy from 3ABN site.

Notice to our 3ABN Viewers.

3ABN is now available on the Dish Network satellite system on two satellites in the orbital positions 61.5 and 129 degrees!

All the original and current Sky Angel subscribers and all Dish Network subscribers receiving programming from these two satellites now can view 3ABN on Channel 9710. The 3ABN channel is placed on the Dish Network basic package. Praise the Lord !!!

Note: No additional hardward required if you have the "Dish 1000" system.

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jan 26 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #9

site admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(grandmad @ Jan 26 2008, 07:21 AM) *
I don't post because I don't like back and forth, just want folks to know an option. 3 ABN is listed under public interest, not religious on the Dish programming. Here is the copy from 3ABN site.

Notice to our 3ABN Viewers.

3ABN is now available on the Dish Network satellite system on two satellites in the orbital positions 61.5 and 129 degrees!

All the original and current Sky Angel subscribers and all Dish Network subscribers receiving programming from these two satellites now can view 3ABN on Channel 9710. The 3ABN channel is placed on the Dish Network basic package. Praise the Lord !!!

Note: No additional hardward required if you have the "Dish 1000" system.

You are right, I stand corrected. smile.gif

+Quote Post
catkoko
post Jan 31 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #10

Welcome Newbie

Member No.: 4,673

After 10+ years I am about to lose my 3abn. Sky angel is switching to IPTV and will not honor my lifetime sub.

Anyway I now have to make a choice (following sky angel isn't one of them as they won't have 3abn).

1) hope TV

2) glorystar tv (same company as hope but with smile of a child and a few other channels)

3) dish network (I am a bit concerned about content, especially commercials)

4)moiptv, fewer channels than I would like. More are offered on hope satellite. Still simple to hook up

would like to hear pro/cons especially regarding glorystar/hope and MOIPTV from those who have either.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jan 31 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #11

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(catkoko @ Jan 30 2008, 11:32 PM) *
After 10+ years I am about to lose my 3abn. Sky angel is switching to IPTV and will not honor my lifetime sub.
Anyway I now have to make a choice (following sky angel isn't one of them as they won't have 3abn).

1) hope TV
2) glorystar tv (same company as hope but with smile of a child and a few other channels)
3) dish network (I am a bit concerned about content, especially commercials)
4)moiptv, fewer channels than I would like. More are offered on hope satellite. Still simple to hook up
would like to hear pro/cons especially regarding glorystar/hope and MOIPTV from those who have either.

With Glorystar you get a good package of channels that includes more channels than Skyangel, on satellite. With MOIPTV you don't need a satellite dish, all you need is one small box that can plug in to your internet connection. It can work in any hotel room with broadband, and anywhere else. You can take this small box with you anywhere there is high speed internet , plug it in, and watch LLBN, Hope, 3ABN, Fox News, and others. I understand that is expanding its lineup to include many more networks. Another thing is that you can watch anything you may have missed in the past 48 hours on any of the channels without programming it to record. This is something you can't get with satellite. Glorystar is distributing MOIPTV.

+Quote Post
WillowRun
post Feb 5 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,191

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jan 31 2008, 02:25 AM) *
With Glorystar you get a good package of channels that includes more channels than Skyangel, on satellite. With MOIPTV you don't need a satellite dish, all you need is one small box that can plug in to your internet connection. It can work in any hotel room with broadband, and anywhere else. You can take this small box with you anywhere there is high speed internet , plug it in, and watch LLBN, Hope, 3ABN, Fox News, and others. I understand that is expanding its lineup to include many more networks. Another thing is that you can watch anything you may have missed in the past 48 hours on any of the channels without programming it to record. This is something you can't get with satellite. Glorystar is distributing MOIPTV.

I may try that MOIPTV in the future. I need more than FOX news...and I really enjoy Fine Living, HGTV and the DIY network so I am not quite ready to give up DISH just yet.

Respectfully,

Willow

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 10:49 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church