Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8966&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:48:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We Should Start A B.a.n., B.A.N = Black Adventist Network
Zephyr
post Apr 23 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,556

B.A.N
Someone whispered alternative names for the new network
Braying...A...Network!
Broke Adventists Network

--------------------
"I believe what my church teaches.
My church teaches what I believe.
My church and I believe the same thing."--The Apostate's Creed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TrulyBlessedOne
post Apr 23 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 69

QUOTE(Zephyr @ Apr 23 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]127641[/snapback]

B.A.N
Someone whispered alternative names for the new network
Braying...A...Network!
Broke Adventists Network

See, why n****rs (yeah I said it and mean it in the original dictionary meaning of the word) gots to bring negativity to an idea that would promote our culture?

As far as having a diverse lineup of speakers on 3ABN, sure they have them on, but they all conform to the party line. I bet they wouldn't air Buddy Byrd's sermon from UYC on 3ABN. They don't show Madison Mission style Praise & Worship. I've not heard about them having any SDA Christian rap artists on. In fact, I have heard them demeaning those who listen to and/or perform urban music.

This is why there needs to be an alternative to 3ABN. So that the world can see that Adventism is more that conservative, eurocentric, peaceful, serene, boring religion that GC and all the old white members would like it to be. It is time to move into culturally authentic and relevent worship; mold our churches into service centers for the communities we are trying to reach and stop trying to change people into white conservatives, but rather bring Jesus to them the way Jesus presented Himself to the common folk of Galilee...where they are.

If they never come to enjoy hymns and organ music, it will be fine...as long as they come to love Jesus!

That's My 2 Lincolns

Pastor J

**This post was edited by a member of BSDA moderation team

This post has been edited by Clay: Apr 24 2006, 01:06 AM

--------------------
E. L. Jones, Jr.
WTBC Radio
3:16 Muzik
Did He Say That
tb1@wtbcradio.com
269-487-6652

+Quote Post
higherground2003
post Apr 24 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 255

In my honest opinion, it would never work, but not for the reasons that most of you are suggesting. Getting the money, and setting up a lineup that blacks would enjoy would be relatively simple. I think the real problem would come in after the channel is up and going. Having a black adventist network would force us to look at the realization that we are not on the same page. When you look at the backbone doctrine of adventism and much of the work written by Ellen G. WHite, it really goes in line with much of what you are seeing on 3abn. In reality, they aren't doing anything wrong. The reason why many of us seem to have a problem with their programming is that we don't necessarily agree with all of the teaching. I think that much of what you would see on a black 3abn would be identical to what you see in the black conferences, which is also not lining up with what you see in the white conferences, which would make the 3abn and the black version of 3abn night and day. Once that happens, there will be an uproar from within the denomination and we will start hearing about how there is a "falling away" from the church.

Example. From what I have seen black sda churches tend to think more locally, while the white sda churches tend to think more globally. Neither is wrong, but the priorities are clearly different. Another example is that black sda churches are probably more likely to work with other denominations than our counterparts. I also don't think a black 3abn network would do as much denominational bashing, which would cause an uproar with some people. Some people actually want to see denominational bashing.

This post has been edited by higherground2003: Apr 24 2006, 08:43 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post Apr 24 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #19

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

good points Higherground..... spoton.gif

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Apr 24 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE(Clay @ Apr 24 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]127739[/snapback]

good points Higherground..... spoton.gif

But the big assumption is that Adventism is the God's chariot to heaven.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Apr 24 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(statrei @ Apr 24 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]127741[/snapback]

But the big assumption is that Adventism is the God's chariot to heaven.

I thought it was "The Old Ship of Zion"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Apr 24 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE(Clay @ Apr 24 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]127742[/snapback]

I thought it was "The Old Ship of Zion"

Without replacement theology we have to admit that "The Old Ship of Zion" is Judaism.

+Quote Post
TrulyBlessedOne
post Apr 24 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 69

QUOTE(higherground2003 @ Apr 24 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]127738[/snapback]

I think that much of what you would see on a black 3abn would be identical to what you see in the black conferences, which is also not lining up with what you see in the white conferences, which would make the 3abn and the black version of 3abn night and day. Once that happens, there will be an uproar from within the denomination and we will start hearing about how there is a "falling away" from the church.

Example. From what I have seen black sda churches tend to think more locally, while the white sda churches tend to think more globally. Neither is wrong, but the priorities are clearly different. Another example is that black sda churches are probably more likely to work with other denominations than our counterparts. I also don't think a black 3abn network would do as much denominational bashing, which would cause an uproar with some people. Some people actually want to see denominational bashing.

In my opinion, I think the regional conferences do need to pull away from the "world church". That may sound like heresy, but my reasoning is just what higherground2003 stated above. The white church and the black church have totally different agendas. The white church is exclusive and is trying to "civilize" the world, much like the Catholic church in the dark ages. In America, they recruit the rich folk so that they can send money overseas to "spread the gospel" and make people just like them.

The black churches tend to be more locally minded in that they are working to see as many lost souls in their local community come to know Christ, regardless of their income or education level. Now I know that there are plenty of "gold diggers" in the black church as well, but most pastors are interested in the person.

Because we have to send 16% of the tithe money up the line to the unions, NAD, and GC, we are not in a position to do some of the things that we need to do. 16% may not seem like a lot, but we are talking about millions of dollars each year that could be used for local evangelism or other projects. There is also the issue of how the money flows in the white conferences vs. the black conferences. I don't have proof, but they always seem to have the money they need for evangelism, while we have to beg for it.

I point is that there needs to be a change in the way we operate as a church. We need to encourage the churches to engage in an industry that will help support the church locally and the conferences need to change the way they operate to make them more efficient (sp). Too much money is being wasted by our leaders because unskilled pastors are doign jobs they don't have a clue about. We should hire CPA's to be our treasurers rather than pastors. Our ABC's should be run by MBA's. Our youth congresses should be organized by experienced event coodinators. Each conference should have a marketing director and an IT department. We have to think of this thing as big business if the churches are going to have the support they need and deserve.

And as far as working with other churches, we should be working with other churches if we expect to make any headway in the communities we have churches. It has been our "exclusiveness" that has gotten us labeled as a cult. We have to show ourselves friendly if we want to win souls for Christ. Pastors should be a part of the ministrial alliances in the cities. We shoudl support other churches community activities, when they do not conflict with the Sabbath. And then, some of the things that they do on the Sabbath we can still support. "It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath".

My point is this, how can you expect someone to come to visit your church, if they don't know you or have prejudice against you. We must break down the walls of misunderstanding and open dialogue with other churches so that they can see that we are Christian; we do believe in the Trinity; we do believe in the Holy Spirit; we are not a cult. We can't accomplish that by first goign out and hitting them with dictrine and telling them that they are going to hell if they don't worship on the Sabbath and don't give up pork. We have to show love first and then show them the benefits of living like the Bible tells us. Then as they see how God has blessed us for our faithfulness, they will want to serve God as well. But, if we are mean and hateful and trying to beat them over the head with dotrine every time they see us or visit the church, we will continue to lose members in America.

I guess that's about 3 or 4 Lincolns there smile.gif

Pastor J

This post has been edited by TrulyBlessedOne: Apr 24 2006, 09:12 AM

--------------------
E. L. Jones, Jr.
WTBC Radio
3:16 Muzik
Did He Say That
tb1@wtbcradio.com
269-487-6652

+Quote Post
Clay
post Apr 24 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #24

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

and good Lincolns they were.... yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Apr 24 2006, 09:39 AM
Post #25

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

"Having a black adventist network would force us to look at the realization that we are not on the same page. When you look at the backbone doctrine of adventism and much of the work written by Ellen G. WHite, it really goes in line with much of what you are seeing on 3abn. In reality, they aren't doing anything wrong. The reason why many of us seem to have a problem with their programming is that we don't necessarily agree with all of the teaching. I think that much of what you would see on a black 3abn would be identical to what you see in the black conferences, which is also not lining up with what you see in the white conferences, which would make the 3abn and the black version of 3abn night and day. Once that happens, there will be an uproar from within the denomination and we will start hearing about how there is a "falling away" from the church."

What is the traditional backbone doctrine of our church? Most of my life I've been in traditional white churches and at 3ABN, and what I see being shown as the true pillars of Christianity are the Sabbath, the state of the dead, diet, and end-time events beast, dragons and images). Not saying that there is anything wrong with those doctrines, but where is the Biblical Jesus REALLY being taught? I don't recall that he said much on those subjects when he was on Earth. Have we made them the foundations of our faith simply because they are the differentiating point between "us and them?" And in the process are we losing sight of true Christianity and worship? I'm not asking rhetorical questions to be nasty toward the church, or anyone, these are genuine questions that I have.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Apr 24 2006, 09:41 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post Apr 24 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #26

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ Apr 24 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]127758[/snapback]

What is the traditional backbone doctrine of our church? Most of my life I've been in traditional white churches and at 3ABN, and what I see being shown as the true pillars of Christianity are the Sabbath, the state of the dead, diet, and end-time events beast, dragons and images). Not saying that there is anything wrong with those doctrines, but where is the Biblical Jesus REALLY being taught? I don't recall that he said much on those subjects when he was on Earth. Have we made them the foundations of our faith simply because they are the differentiating point between "us and them?" And in the process are we losing sight of true Christianity and worship? I'm not asking rhetorical questions to be nasty toward the church, or anyone, these are genuine questions that I have.

those are the true pillars of adventism, not of Christianity.... you are correct we have made them our foundations because it does distinguish "us" from "them..."

--------------------

+Quote Post
higherground2003
post Apr 24 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 255

QUOTE(TrulyBlessedOne @ Apr 24 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]127747[/snapback]

And as far as working with other churches, we should be working with other churches if we expect to make any headway in the communities we have churches. It has been our "exclusiveness" that has gotten us labeled as a cult. We have to show ourselves friendly if we want to win souls for Christ. Pastors should be a part of the ministrial alliances in the cities. We shoudl support other churches community activities, when they do not conflict with the Sabbath. And then, some of the things that they do on the Sabbath we can still support. "It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath".
Pastor J

I totally agree. With some of these people, they feel as if the only thing that matters in the world is our church and our beliefs. They see no need to ever have any dealings with anyone else unless you are trying to convert them. LOL. Oddly enough, people like that probably only make up about 25%, but that 25% tends to be the ones that are more than likely to go out into the community and knock on doors. giggle.gif

In my eyes the reasoning just doesn't line up. This small group feels as if you shouldn't associate with "sunday keepers" rofl1.gif (as they say) because they don't keep all of the commandments. Oddly enough, when you point out that they aren't perfect themselves, there is always an excuse why their faults are ok, but the faults of others are totally unacceptable. Does joining the SDA church mean that you will no longer ever participate in a united way function again? Most organizations to charitable work on the sabbath. Why in the world should we be frowned upon if we participate?

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Apr 24 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

Go on and preach, Pastor!!!!

QUOTE(TrulyBlessedOne @ Apr 24 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]127747[/snapback]

In my opinion, I think the regional conferences do need to pull away from the "world church". That may sound like heresy, but my reasoning is just what higherground2003 stated above. The white church and the black church have totally different agendas. The white church is exclusive and is trying to "civilize" the world, much like the Catholic church in the dark ages. In America, they recruit the rich folk so that they can send money overseas to "spread the gospel" and make people just like them.

The black churches tend to be more locally minded in that they are working to see as many lost souls in their local community come to know Christ, regardless of their income or education level. Now I know that there are plenty of "gold diggers" in the black church as well, but most pastors are interested in the person.

Because we have to send 16% of the tithe money up the line to the unions, NAD, and GC, we are not in a position to do some of the things that we need to do. 16% may not seem like a lot, but we are talking about millions of dollars each year that could be used for local evangelism or other projects. There is also the issue of how the money flows in the white conferences vs. the black conferences. I don't have proof, but they always seem to have the money they need for evangelism, while we have to beg for it.

I point is that there needs to be a change in the way we operate as a church. We need to encourage the churches to engage in an industry that will help support the church locally and the conferences need to change the way they operate to make them more efficient (sp). Too much money is being wasted by our leaders because unskilled pastors are doign jobs they don't have a clue about. We should hire CPA's to be our treasurers rather than pastors. Our ABC's should be run by MBA's. Our youth congresses should be organized by experienced event coodinators. Each conference should have a marketing director and an IT department. We have to think of this thing as big business if the churches are going to have the support they need and deserve.

My point is this, how can you expect someone to come to visit your church, if they don't know you or have prejudice against you. We must break down the walls of misunderstanding and open dialogue with other churches so that they can see that we are Christian; we do believe in the Trinity; we do believe in the Holy Spirit; we are not a cult. We can't accomplish that by first goign out and hitting them with dictrine and telling them that they are going to hell if they don't worship on the Sabbath and don't give up pork. We have to show love first and then show them the benefits of living like the Bible tells us. Then as they see how God has blessed us for our faithfulness, they will want to serve God as well. But, if we are mean and hateful and trying to beat them over the head with dotrine every time they see us or visit the church, we will continue to lose members in America.

I guess that's about 3 or 4 Lincolns there smile.gif

Pastor J

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Apr 24 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #29

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

What about the World of Praise Network that Whintley Phipps is heading up? While it is an 3ABN branch baby, it is also specifically geared for the American Urban Community (i.e. Black folks)....enough money, as I understand, is the holdup, but most of the equipment has already either been purchased or donated...

QUOTE(TrulyBlessedOne @ Apr 20 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]127289[/snapback]

With all the talk about 3ABN lately. I think that we need to stop complaining and come together to offer an alternative. Given the fact that there are a number of black churches with television ministries and a number of Black SDA artists on the rise, I believe that it could be done with the proper planning and support. It could cater to the Black experience, while presenting the unique SDA message.

Plus, if set-up properly and not done in the spirit of exclusiveness, we could get the support of many non-Adventists who enjoy our ministries. If properly pitched, it could be carried on Sky Angel and reach a massive audience. Once the audience grows, it could be pitched to cable systems in areas like Huntsville who have high concentrations of BSDA's.

I am seriously thinking about this thing. Who is with me?

Pastor J

http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=7397

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Apr 24 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #30

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

QUOTE(TrulyBlessedOne @ Apr 24 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]127697[/snapback]

See, why n****rs (yeah I said it and mean it in the original dictionary meaning of the word) gots to bring negativity to an idea that would promote our culture?

As far as having a diverse lineup of speakers on 3ABN, sure they have them on, but they all conform to the party line. I bet they wouldn't air Buddy Byrd's sermon from UYC on 3ABN. They don't show Madison Mission style Praise & Worship. I've not heard about them having any SDA Christian rap artists on. In fact, I have heard them demeaning those who listen to and/or perform urban music.

This is why there needs to be an alternative to 3ABN. So that the world can see that Adventism is more that conservative, eurocentric, peaceful, serene, boring religion that GC and all the old white members would like it to be. It is time to move into culturally authentic and relevent worship; mold our churches into service centers for the communities we are trying to reach and stop trying to change people into white conservatives, but rather bring Jesus to them the way Jesus presented Himself to the common folk of Galilee...where they are.

If they never come to enjoy hymns and organ music, it will be fine...as long as they come to love Jesus!

That's My 2 Lincolns

Pastor J

**This post was edited by a member of BSDA moderation team

Buddy Byrd...is that Carlton Byrd? I remember him when he was a little fellow running around Miami Union Academy. What was his sermon about? It's so nice to see young men serving the Lord.

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:48 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church