Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10338&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:51:54 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn Is Coming Out With An Urban Channel, According to Wintley Phipps
princessdi
post Sep 15 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #16

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Don't hide. As kevin said, it truly it racist, however, it is the way things are. i.e., you have contemporary gospel (white folks with a few blacks sprinkled in), Southern gospel(Gaithers,e tc. again a few black folks sprinkled in, Jesse Dixon), then you have Urban gospel(black folks with a few whites sprinkled in Mrtha Munizzi, Vicki Yohe). IOW, the term term is commonly used to described anything black, music to neighbrhoods. Just one of those politically incoorect things we do.

QUOTE(watchbird @ Aug 8 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]143896[/snapback]

Hoooooooboy.... I know I shouldn't say this...... but I've just gotta do it..... 'scuse me ...... but
isn't equating "urban" and "black people" jus' a wee bit (whisper) "racist"?

There ... I said it ... I'll go hide now.............. sofa1.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Sep 15 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,902

Defining music by the colour of those who are its main faces to the world? Ill probably never learn to understand that mindset...

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Sep 17 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

Here is the original thread posted in December 05 about the new network....

http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...pic=7397&hl

QUOTE(srickperry @ Aug 8 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]143840[/snapback]

Hey Y'all,

Wintley Phipps came WAY OUT here to Oregon and at a sermon and concert he mentioned that 3ABN is coming out with an Urban channel. Pastor Phipps has a heart for urban youth and mentioned 3ABN's push to minister to urban youth.

Anyone heard about it? I guess I could go to 3ABN's site and find out for myself. doh.gif

Take care,

--Rick

This post has been edited by simplysaved: Sep 17 2006, 06:48 PM

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
lambjan
post Sep 20 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #19

Welcome Newbie

Member No.: 2,157

QUOTE(lambjan @ Sep 13 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]151728[/snapback]

In response to the 3ABN URBAN CHANNEL, I saw a program where W. Phipps and D. Shelton made the announcement that they were going into a partnership to start up an URBAN 3ABN.

On August 23, 2006 I sent and E-mail to 3ABN asking when this URBAN CHANNEL would air. The respone I received was WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY URBAN CHANNEL! They had no ideal what I was talking about! After sending 3 e-mails explaining what the URBAN CHANNEL was I gave up. I heard that this channel is suppose to start Sept 06, but have not heard or seen anything from 3ABN about it.

THIS IS ANY UPDATE TO THE E-MAIL I WROTE ON SEPT. 13th! I contacted 3ABN again and ask the same question concerning an URBAN 3ABN, below is the response.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for writing to us. As far as we know we do not have details of Wintley Phipps will be launching the Urban 3ABN. We only know about this as a plan but there are not specific.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 20 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #20

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(lambjan @ Sep 20 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]152720[/snapback]

THIS IS ANY UPDATE TO THE E-MAIL I WROTE ON SEPT. 13th! I contacted 3ABN again and ask the same question concerning an URBAN 3ABN, below is the response.

Thank you for writing to us. As far as we know we do not have details of Wintley Phipps will be launching the Urban 3ABN. We only know about this as a plan but there are not specific.

thanks for trying to track that down.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Dec 31 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #21

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(lambjan @ Sep 20 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]152720[/snapback]

Wintley Phipps is doing television work for Radio Bible Class, Grand Rapids, MI. He did a very nice job. I saw one of them one Sunday morning on the local TV station.

If you have Realplayer installed on your PC, you can listen to Wintley Phipps narrate a program he did for Day of Discovery / Radio Bible Class

Here's the audio/video link. Here's one that is still online.

Africa and the Bible: The River of Faith

http://www.rbc.org/radio_and_tv/day_of_discovery/49973.aspx

"Are all races created equal in the eyes of God? Down through the ages, certain people have viewed those with darker skin as somehow less human—using skin color as an excuse to enslave and marginalize people. Does God judge us by the color of our skin? Do people of color have any part in the heritage of Christianity, or should they be looking somewhere else for their faith? Join host Wintley Phipps as he follows the “rivers of faith” and uncovers the truth about Africa and the Bible."

Pete

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 1 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

Haven't heard of that outfit before. Is it Adventist?

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jan 1 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 1 2007, 07:01 AM) [snapback]166892[/snapback]

Haven't heard of that outfit before. Is it Adventist?

No, RBC is not Adventist, but Wintley will need to network [pun] as he ventures further into television, and Radio Bible Class is a good choice for that. RBC can help Wintley in many ways and Wintley is unlikely to pick up bad advice there.

Financially, Radio Bible Class sets a very good example for Wintley. Here's a little excerpt from some research by Stephen Winzenburg, Grand View College, Des Moines, Iowa.

http://faculty.gvc.edu/swinzenburg/tv_mini...study_2000.html

"Radio Bible Class, producer of Day of Discovery, is the industry leader in providing necessary information quickly and completely. Within one week of e-mailing a request for information, a copy of the organization’s IRS form 990 arrived, which included the addresses for the board of directors and the salary of president Martin DeHaan. That is everything I needed to know and, after seeing that they spend virtually no air time asking for money, would feel confident contributing to the Radio Bible Class ministry. The late material that was received from Billy Graham (after a second request) and Charles Stanley was just as helpful, though not sent in a timely manner."

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 1 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

I noticed that in one of United States Dream Academy's Form 990s, it lists Wintley as working 40 hours a week on average for that organization, and over three years time he was compensated more than $430,000 by that organization.

Does the Academy still exist? If so, does he work 40 hours a week as a pastor too, and does he get a full salary from the conference too?

I hope he doesn't work himself into the grave. 40 + 40 + this type of venture too. I couldn't handle all that.

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jan 1 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #25

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 1 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]166906[/snapback]

I noticed that in one of United States Dream Academy's Form 990s, it lists Wintley as working 40 hours a week on average for that organization, and over three years time he was compensated more than $430,000 by that organization.

Does the Academy still exist? If so, does he work 40 hours a week as a pastor too, and does he get a full salary from the conference too?

I hope he doesn't work himself into the grave. 40 + 40 + this type of venture too. I couldn't handle all that.

IPB Image

http://www.washingtoninformer.com/A1USDream-2005May30.html

Oprah Winfrey is pictured with at-risk youth who have benefited from the services of the U.S. Dream Academy. Winfrey was on had at the organization’s annual gala fundraiser to make a $1 million contribution.

Master of Ceremony Wintley Phipps, the president and founder of the U.S. Dream Academy, began the evening with the bestowment of the President’s award.

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post Jan 4 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #26

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(justme @ Sep 15 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]152042[/snapback]

OR will this be a means to raise another few million bucks that will bever go where it was supposed to go, ... like the TWO "SANCTUARY/TABERNACLE" projects use to raise millions and yet never materialized.

"THE PAST IS PROLOGUE"!

what project is this that you are referring to? dunno.gif

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jan 1 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]166859[/snapback]

Wintley Phipps is doing television work for Radio Bible Class, Grand Rapids, MI. He did a very nice job. I saw one of them one Sunday morning on the local TV station.

If you have Realplayer installed on your PC, you can listen to Wintley Phipps narrate a program he did for Day of Discovery / Radio Bible Class

Here's the audio/video link. Here's one that is still online.

Africa and the Bible: The River of Faith

http://www.rbc.org/radio_and_tv/day_of_discovery/49973.aspx

"Are all races created equal in the eyes of God? Down through the ages, certain people have viewed those with darker skin as somehow less human—using skin color as an excuse to enslave and marginalize people. Does God judge us by the color of our skin? Do people of color have any part in the heritage of Christianity, or should they be looking somewhere else for their faith? Join host Wintley Phipps as he follows the “rivers of faith” and uncovers the truth about Africa and the Bible."

Pete

He preached a sermon on this very issue in church a few months ago. It was very powerful. That man can preach! He also announced he would be doing this series. It aired on a local religious channel a few months ago and he said he knew it would be aired at later dates in other local markets.

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 1 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]166906[/snapback]

From what I hear, he draws a salary from pastoring my home church but that he donates all of that salary because he said he does not need it. I know he works hard and travels a lot...and still is in church more often than not. Also, most church officers have his cell phone number and he knows what is going on in church. Some folks may take issue with him working these two positions, but it does not matter to me. I guess because I'm a hustler at heart and am business minded, I am biased toward him on this issue.

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
jene
post Jan 5 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,812

From what I hear, he draws a salary from pastoring my home church but that he donates all of that salary because he said he does not need it. I know he works hard and travels a lot...and still is in church more often than not. Also, most church officers have his cell phone number and he knows what is going on in church. Some folks may take issue with him working these two positions, but it does not matter to me. I guess because I'm a hustler at heart and am business minded, I am biased toward him on this issue.

[/quote]

If he runs the Academy and the church efficiently I ain't mad at him. He donates his salary from the church? That's alright in my book. Sounds like he is genuine in his ministry.

offtopic2.gif
Do you all know where I can get my hands on a soundtrac of his song, He's able?

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Jan 5 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(jene @ Jan 5 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]167759[/snapback]

[font=Georgia][size=3][color=#993399]

Do you all know where I can get my hands on a soundtrac of his song, He's able?

From what I understand, he doesnt allow soundtracks of his songs to be made... there are several gospel singers who choose to not do so...

In His service,
Mr. J

This post has been edited by awesumtenor: Jan 5 2007, 05:12 PM

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Feb 8 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #29

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

So, is this just another lie fabrication? Was, or is, this claim, that an urban channel was to be started, just an attempt to gain greater financial support from this particular group of people who may not be lending their full support to this "ministry"? Is this "ministry" waiting for money to come in from the "urban" population before they start this project?

Why is an "urban" channel even needed? Is this "ministry" unable to use the current programs as a vehicle to minister to the "urban" population? Or is it that they don't have anyone, on the current programming, who would appeal to the "urban" folks? If so, why is that? afro.gif

bump.gif

This post has been edited by seraph|m: Feb 8 2007, 12:35 PM

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Feb 8 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(seraph|m @ Feb 8 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]176490[/snapback]

So, is this just another lie fabrication? Was, or is, this claim, that an urban channel was to be started, just an attempt to gain greater financial support from this particular group of people who may not be lending their full support to this "ministry"? Is this "ministry" waiting for money to come in from the "urban" population before they start this project?

Why is an "urban" channel even needed? Is this "ministry" unable to use the current programs as a vehicle to minister to the "urban" population? Or is it that they don't have anyone, on the current programming, who would appeal to the "urban" folks? If so, why is that? afro.gif
bump.gif

Thank you Sera. I had been wondering the same thing when the information first came out about this ministry. You asked the questions I had in my mind but was unable to put into word on screen.

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:51 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church