Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11930&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:23:32 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spiritual Adultery And Remarriage Revisited, What are the facts?
inga
post Dec 27 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #1

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 577

It alarms me that so many people are still buying into the idea that Linda Shelton commited "spiritual adultery."

It alarms me because it seems like thousands of peopel put more stock in what Danny Shelton says than in what the Bible says. So please join me in examining what the Bible says on the subject.

First of all, the concept of "spiritual adultery" is in the Bible. It has nothing to do with unfaithfulness to one's spouse but it has everything to do with unfaithfulness to the God of heaven .

In the Bible God often refers to Himself as being "married" to His people. The concept is found throughout the Old and New Testament, and I'll present a few examples easily found through a word search. Some of these texts should be very familiar to readers of this board.

Isaiah 62.3-5
Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the LORD, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God. Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the LORD delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married. or as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee.

Jeremiah 3.14
Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you:

Malachi 2.11
Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the LORD which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.

Isaiah 54.5
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Jeremiah 3.20
Surely as a wife treacherously departeth from her husband, so have ye dealt treacherously with me, O house of Israel, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 31.31-33
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

I trust that the concept of the church being the "bride of Christ" as well as "the marriage supper of the Lamb" is familiar to readers of this board. In Ezekiel we find a very specific reference:
Ezekiel 16.28, 30-32
Thou hast played the whore also with the Assyrians, because thou wast unsatiable; yea, thou hast played the harlot with them, and yet couldest not be satisfied.
How weak is thine heart, saith the Lord GOD, seeing thou doest all these things, the work of an imperious whorish woman; In that thou buildest thine eminent place in the head of every way, and makest thine high place in every street; and hast not been as an harlot, in that thou scornest hire;But as a wife that committeth adultery, which taketh strangers instead of her husband!

Note that in Ezekiel, unfaithfulness to God is specifically compared to physical adultery against one's husband. God says that Israel is playing the whore by building "high places" on which she worships other gods. This unfaithfulness to God would then be biblical "spiritual adultery," since God is a Spirit (according to Jesus when speaking with the Samaritan woman.) This has been the meaning of "spiritual adultery" as long as God's church has existed -- until certain modern teachers came along and re-defined the term.

When Danny accuses Linda of spiritual adultery, he is doing several things:
1. He is re-defining a biblical concept to suit his own purpose. Does he have the right to change God's word? Is that not the right of God alone, should He so choose? (What Danny appears to be saying is that Linda lusted after someone else. So he's referring to mental/emotional adultery.)

2. How does he know what's going on in Linda's mind -- whether it's "spiritual" or mental adultery? It seems obvious that Linda didn't tell him, "I'm lusting after so and so." If she had, Danny would be sure to tell us. Thus Danny is taking the prerogatives of God to Himself by declaring that he knows, for a fact, what is going on in Linda's heart.

Of course, if we assume that Danny actually [i[knows[/i] what the Bible says -- which should be a reasonable assumption -- then he is also claiming to himself the prerogatives of God, saying Linda committed adultery with some other god besides himself.

Any way you cut it, Danny's accusing Linda of spiritual adultery says many more negative things about himself than about Linda.

Accepting Danny's word that Linda committed "spiritual adultery" also says several things about the people who accept it.
1. It indicates lack of biblical knowledge and a willingness to accept someone's else's word, in the place of personal Bible study.
2. It indicates a willingness to accept Dannys' self-evaluation of having (at the very least) prophetic insight so as to be able to read thoughts and motives.

Any way you cut it, accepting Danny's accusations of Linda indicates more negative things about the those who accpet it than about Linda.

That's just the way I see it.

You may disagree, but if you expect us to take your disagreement as anything more than a display of ignorance, please supply some valid reasons (e.g. biblical basis or other verifiable data) for your disagreement.
What has been Linda Shelton's verifiable behavior during and since 2004? (e.g. marital status, residence, travels, etc. including verifiable dates.)

These facts are important because people seem to believe a number of things that are quite contrary to verifiable facts.

Please respect the purpose of this thread and address the facts or the biblical evidence.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Dec 27 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #2

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 589

QUOTE(inga @ Dec 27 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]165860[/snapback]

It alarms me that so many people are still buying into the idea that Linda Shelton commited "spiritual adultery."

We cannot possibly know what someone else was feeling in their heart, only God knows. Unless, Linda actually said that she commited "spiritual adultery." Either way, if we could see what was in the hearts of others, there would be a lot less critism I assume because we all have skeletons in our closets.

--------------------
An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law. MLK

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Dec 27 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #3

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Linda would not have said that because there is no such thing.....at least in a marriage.
QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]165864[/snapback]

We cannot possibly know what someone else was feeling in their heart, only God knows. Unless, Linda actually said that she commited "spiritual adultery." Either way, if we could see what was in the hearts of others, there would be a lot less critism I assume because we all have skeletons in our closets.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Dec 27 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #4

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Dec 27 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]165865[/snapback]

Linda would not have said that because there is no such thing.....at least in a marriage.

no such thing... uhm.gif please clarify (I understood "spiritual adultery" to be the same thing as commiting adultery in your heart)

--------------------
An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law. MLK

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Dec 27 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #5

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

No, spiritual adultery can only be committed against God, with whom you have a spiritual tie/ relationship. In fact, in one of hte threads it is now being said that it was first coined by some counselors who talked with Danny and Linda early on.

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]165867[/snapback]

no such thing... uhm.gif please clarify (I understood "spiritual adultery" to be the same thing as commiting adultery in your heart)

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Dec 27 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #6

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Dec 27 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]165868[/snapback]

No, spiritual adultery can only be committed against God, with whom you have a spiritual tie/ relationship. In fact, in one of hte threads it is now being said that it was first coined by some counselors who talked with Danny and Linda early on.

Matthew 5:28 (King James Version)

28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The scripture says "commited adultery with her " One can only assume the obvious and that would be that Jesus was speaking about the literal term for adultery (when one strays out of a marriage). Unless there is scripture to contrast that, dunno.gif , I just don't see where you can relate that with commiting adultery in your relationship with God. When you think of adultery in your relationship with God, you think of worshipping another God, not lusting after someone. Which thread is this you speak of?

--------------------

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Dec 27 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #7

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

But there is nothing spiritual about that lust. That man's mind is not dwelling in the spiritual.

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]165871[/snapback]

Matthew 5:28 (King James Version)

28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The scripture says "commited adultery with her " One can only assume the obvious and that would be that Jesus was speaking about the literal term for adultery (when one strays out of a marriage). Unless there is scripture to contrast that, dunno.gif , I just don't see where you can relate that with commiting adultery in your relationship with God. When you think of adultery in your relationship with God, you think of worshipping another God, not lusting after someone. Which thread is this you speak of?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Dec 27 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #8

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]165871[/snapback]

The scripture says "commited adultery with her " I just don't see where you can relate that with commiting adultery in your relationship with God.

See the following script.

Pete

WHEN IT'S TIME TO LEAVE
Production No. 863

Speaker
MARK A. FINLEY

http://www.iiw.org/tvprogram/scripts/progr...3-script-1.html

"The problem of Thyatira is the problem of spiritual adultery . Adultery is an illicit union with a person who's not your true spouse. Adultery speaks of unfaithfulness. It's a breaking of sacred vows.

This letter really addresses an entire period of church history, the period of the Dark Ages. The Christian church symbolized by Thyatira, was unfaithful to her true lover, Jesus Christ and unfaithful to His Word. She broke her vow and loyalty to her Lord.

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Dec 27 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #9

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]165867[/snapback]

(I understood "spiritual adultery" to be the same thing as commiting adultery in your heart)

Once again a misunderstanding from a play on words. dunno.gif Either way it doesn't matter. Because either way we still don't know her heart to judge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grace
post Dec 27 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,708

Let me see. If I'm a married woman and I spend a long time on the phone with a man other than my husband, I commit spiritual adultery. But it's possible to lust for another women, in a homo sense. So, I commit spiritual adultery if I talk on the phone to a woman for a long time. What about spending a long time with people (men and women) in a forum? I suppose it could be labeled as committing spiritual adultery too. Rats!!! I have been spending more than ten minutes... a day!!! I'm glad my hubby is not looking for a way to get rid of me, or I'd be done!

Is this offtopic.gif ?

wink.gif

This post has been edited by Grace: Dec 27 2006, 05:21 PM

--------------------
Grace

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Dec 27 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #11

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]165877[/snapback]

Once again a misunderstanding from a play on words. dunno.gif Either way it doesn't matter. Because either way we still don't know her heart to judge.

Actually it does matter; it is the crux of the issue. Because of the church's teaching on divorce and remarriage in order to marry Brandy without stepping out of the bounds laid by the church's position he had to show Linda was adulterous. He could not prove a physical adulterous relationship... but with Linda effectively gagged, he has been able to cast enough aspersion for folk to believe her guilty... belief that continues to be entrenched, as one can see... but it begs the question... if the charge he makes is shown to be fraudulent what of his subsequent marriage to Brandy? I am speaking from the perspective of the church; as far as the state is concerned he needed no reason at all to divorce Linda... but the standard of the church is markedly higher...and it is the attempting to give the appearance of having met that standard which has brought this discussion to where it is... the issues with the continued bearing of false witness not withstanding.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
inga
post Dec 27 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #12

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Eddy @ Dec 27 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]165877[/snapback]

Whew! Eddy, you have a way of deflating one's ego. blink.gif I just wrote a lenghty post explaining, with Bible texts, what "spiritual adultery" is and is not. And then you come on here and write a "reply" demonstrating that you haven't understood a word I wrote. dunno.gif

This was not a "play on words," but a misuse of a very real term.

Maybe a summary will help:
Spiritual adultery is unfaithfulness to God.

Unless Danny is God, Linda cannot commit spiritual adultery agains him.

Apparently Danny meant "mental adultery" (which you incorrectly equate with spiritual adultery). But even then, there's no way for Danny to know, as you pointed out.

Furthermore, even if Danny could know that Linda committed mental adultery (fantasized about someone other than Danny), that does not constitute biblical grounds for divorce.
FACTS:
Danny divorced Linda without biblical grounds.
Danny married Brandy, who is much younger than Linda.
Linda is still single and has no plans to remarry at this time.

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Dec 27 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #13

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Grace @ Dec 27 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]165914[/snapback]

Let me see. If I'm a married woman and I spend a long time on the phone with a man other than my husband, I commit spiritual adultery. But it's possible to lust for another women, in a homo sense. So, I commit spiritual adultery if I talk on the phone to a woman for a long time. What about spending a long time with people (men and women) in a forum? I suppose it could be labeled as committing spiritual adultery too. Rats!!! I have been spending more than ten minutes... a day!!! I'm glad my hubby is not looking for a way to get rid of me, or I'd be done!

Is this offtopic.gif ?

wink.gif

Nope; your point is spot on...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Brother Sam
post Dec 27 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,708

A few years ago I became4 acquainted with some charismatics believe.

They believe God talks to them and what he says supercedes what thw bible says.

Shame on the adventist, John Lomacang, and the board for listening to Danny Shelton and spiritual adultery. Its not adventist doctrine its charismatics doctrine,

Is that why he like charismatics! And they call him a prophet.

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Dec 27 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #15

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,189

First of all, I think it only fair to say that the term "spiritual" can and does have more than one usage. I agree that the traditional interpretation, when coupled with "adultery," clearly refers to leaving our "first love" Christ in search of other "lovers" (gods). However, it is also true that the term "spiritual" carries other meanings, and might be fairly applied to the sense of the term in which Jesus spoke of committing adultery in the heart.

For example, Jesus also said that Lazarus was not dead. But he was dead. How then was he not dead? Spiritually. Jesus also said that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were alive, which can only have been in a "spiritual" sense. So the term "spiritual" can apply to anything in our spiritual lives which exists beyond the physical realm.

However, where I completely disagree with the term of "spiritual adultery" is the use of it in connection with a "legal" (spiritual) right to divorce. Obviously, according to earthly laws, anyone can divorce and remarry for any cause--or none at all. So we are speaking of the spiritual realm of permission here. Biblically speaking, there is no precedent, command, nor permission given for divorce on the basis of a so-called "spiritual adultery."

Since I have presented a clear basis for this using some scripture in another thread, I will recommend those who haven't read it to go there rather than repeating that here.

Three posts:
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=165743
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=165748
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=165799

To summarize briefly, in logical form:

1) Jesus said if your intention is to lust after someone when you look at them, it is as though you've already committed adultery. (adulterer)
2) If you hate your brother, it is as though you've already murdered him. (murderer)
3) James 2:10 says to break the law on one point is to break the law on every point.

Therefore, if you can divorce over the adulterous thoughts, without the actions, of your spouse, you should also be able to imprison a "murderer" for his/her hatred. And to carry it one step further in the same logic, if your spouse breaks any one of the 10 Commandments, this means he/she has broken the commandment against adultery, and therefore you would have permission to divorce.

I hope it becomes abundantly clear, in light of the final result of such logic, why this reasoning is not Biblical.

--------------------
To copyright man's creation is to plagiarize God's gifts.

"Our salvation depends on a knowledge of the truth contained in the Scriptures." (COL 111.3)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:23 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church