Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12014&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:03:32 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are We A Cult?, Thoughts/Points to Ponder
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 7 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #16

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(MsHoly1 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]168186[/snapback]

Cult... no.gif Cult tendacies... yes.gif

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jan 7 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]168192[/snapback]

I agree Cheryl. We are far too comfortable with conformity. We definitely show some tendancies.

Deep.... and Dead on....

This is exactly what I was thinking... spoton.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_dimples5809_*
post Jan 8 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Jan 7 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]168293[/snapback]

Deep.... and Dead on....

This is exactly what I was thinking... spoton.gif

I would disagree, why I serve Christ and that in it self removes me from being in a cult. The world will call me what it wants just becasue I don't follow after the beast so I feel honored when they say I am not like them. happydance.gif

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Jan 8 2007, 02:59 AM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 44

QUOTE(dimples5809 @ Jan 8 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]168312[/snapback]

I would disagree, why I serve Christ and that in it self removes me from being in a cult. The world will call me what it wants just becasue I don't follow after the beast so I feel honored when they say I am not like them. happydance.gif

I could be wrong but I don't think the OP was only talking about what the world thinks but moreso how we look compared to non-SDA Christians. dunno.gif

But regardless,
QUOTE(MsHoly1 @ Jan 7 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]168186[/snapback]

Cult... no.gif Cult tendacies... yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jan 8 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #19

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

There are probably cult tendencies in the most 'mainstream' of Christian groups including ours. I suspect some Adventists extreme veneration of the little red books and the author put us in this category when we were going through our legalistic phase which some members have not left......

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Jan 8 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #20

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 8 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]168337[/snapback]

There are probably cult tendencies in the most 'mainstream' of Christian groups including ours. I suspect some Adventists extreme veneration of the little red books and the author put us in this category when we were going through our legalistic phase which some members have not left......

I agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LeePaDee
post Jan 8 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

Denny WROTE:
There are probably cult tendencies in the most 'mainstream' of Christian groups including ours.
------This was my question.... name at least 6 tendencies.

--------------------
This is how change happens: someone hurts, and sooner or later decides to do something about it.
--TRAITOR by Matthew Woodring Stover - p.29

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 8 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #22

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 8 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]168337[/snapback]

When we were going through
Now Denny, you know we all know folks who would make the red book readers look like folks in a Sunday-go-to-meeting Readers Digest book club.

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jan 8 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #23

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ Jan 8 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]168417[/snapback]

Denny WROTE:
There are probably cult tendencies in the most 'mainstream' of Christian groups including ours.

This is just my definition

1. A cult of personality for living or dead human founder(s)
2. Groupthink
3. Belief that one is the only way to salvation
4. Desire not to mix with non believers or is discouraged
5. Own version of the Bible with add ons
6. Places own literature as same level as the Bible

This post has been edited by Denny: Jan 8 2007, 01:26 PM

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Jan 8 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #24

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ Jan 8 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]168417[/snapback]

Denny WROTE:

scratchchin.gif

-Ellen White - for some, it's an idolotrous relationship.
-As stated in another thread, some SDAs act like they don't know how to interact or socialize
with non-SDAs...as if they are from another planet.
-The church making the 4th commandment the greatest when the greatest is love.
-Thinking Sunday worshippers have the mark of the beast because they don't worship on the
Sabbath.
-Not wearing jewelry or make-up and, as someone who didn't grow-up Adventist, to me
that's just a way to know who the visitors are because they don't look like everybody else. tongue.gif
-Censorship and getting kicked out of the church for bad behavior. How do you kick somebody out of what's supposed to be God's church? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LeePaDee
post Jan 8 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

Wonderful ... WONDER-FULL Thanks both of you... good!!!

--------------------
This is how change happens: someone hurts, and sooner or later decides to do something about it.
--TRAITOR by Matthew Woodring Stover - p.29

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jan 8 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #26

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,712

I've been following this thread closely.... just haven't had time to plug into it yet.... and it's hard even now to decide where to do so. Anyhow.... I'll start with Thomas's comment....

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Jan 7 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]168047[/snapback]

:
nono.gif no2.gif nonono.gif snack.gif The answer is no to your original post question...there may be an abundance of things that separate Adventism from mainstream Christianity, things that may not even be found in scripture, but that doesn't make it a cult, it's just divergent views...belief in another God other than Jesus Christ would make it a non-christian cult...

Agreed.

But as LEE pointed out... we can't really know what we are talking about unless we do some defining... and defining is not as simple as listing a few characteristics of a cult. Partly this is true because historically the use of the word has changed.... and partly because there are so many uses of it currently.

In the beginning it meant simply a group which had a system of worship... compare it to the word "culture" for an idea of how generalized it was.

Later it gained negative connotations when those of the majority worship system of a culture used it in a derogatory way to refer to any minority worship system. Thus Christianity would be considered a "cult" by either the Roman polytheistic system, or the Jewish Monotheistic worship system. Later, Protestants would be considered "cults" by Roman Catholics... etc.

But all that changed with the proliferation of new religions that developed during the 19th century when East began infiltrating West, and Occultic mysticism and theories began invading "Christian cultures", and even claiming to be Christian.... as in Christian Science, for example. Theosophy, Anthroposophy, New Thought, Transcendentalism, Spiritualism... all were in one way or another amalgamations of ancient or Eastern religions with various kinds of "Christianity".... and I put Christianity in quotes because of the distance some branches of it were from Biblical Christianity.

Coming into the 20th century, these cults multiplied like the proverbial "fruit flies". And with many of them based on supernatural revelations.... whether prophet, meditating guru, or channeller, an increasing number of them qualified quite literally as being based on the "doctrines of demons" that Paul warned of.... in much more literal ways than most of us have ever dreamed possible.

Adventists, for the most part.... not only laypersons, but leaders as well.... have been so isolated from contact with these cults that we not only have never taken a leading role in explaining them to our people and warning against them, but we have needlessly concerned ourselves with worry over whether we were indeed one of the "cults" rather than truly a Christian church. And at times our ignorance in these matters have caused some of us to make fools of ourselves by condemning those of our leaders who tried to ensure that we would not be listed in the Evangelical books as one of the non-Christian cults.

And OTOH, not knowing what it was that the various "cult-watchers" were and are seeing that they are trying to valiantly to guard against, others of us scrutinize ourselves too closely, not realizing what is behind the vocabulary that is used to describe the criteria of what is considered a cult... or even what is considered a dangerous cult... which if I correctly read the list that seemed to spark this thread, was a common characteristic of all those listed.

But time is up for now... so I'll have to come back to this tomorrow. In the meantime.... carry on....

snack.gif

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 8 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #27

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 8 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]168337[/snapback]

I agree with this too.....
QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 8 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]168431[/snapback]

This is just my definition

1. A cult of personality for living or dead human founder(s)
2. Groupthink
3. Belief that one is the only way to salvation
4. Desire not to mix with non believers or is discouraged
5. Own version of the Bible with add ons
6. Places own literature as same level as the Bible

QUOTE(MsHoly1 @ Jan 8 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]168435[/snapback]

scratchchin.gif

-Ellen White - for some, it's an idolotrous relationship.
-As stated in another thread, some SDAs act like they don't know how to interact or socialize
with non-SDAs...as if they are from another planet.
-The church making the 4th commandment the greatest when the greatest is love.
-Thinking Sunday worshippers have the mark of the beast because they don't worship on the
Sabbath.
-Not wearing jewelry or make-up and, as someone who didn't grow-up Adventist, to me
that's just a way to know who the visitors are because they don't look like everybody else. tongue.gif
-Censorship and getting kicked out of the church for bad behavior. How do you kick somebody out of what's supposed to be God's church? blink.gif

OOooooo...but this is exactly what I was thinking and aligning with the beliefs of Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, and Branch Davidians...

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jan 8 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]168516[/snapback]

I've been following this thread closely.... just haven't had time to plug into it yet.... and it's hard even now to decide where to do so. Anyhow.... I'll start with Thomas's comment....
Agreed.

But as LEE pointed out... we can't really know what we are talking about unless we do some defining... and defining is not as simple as listing a few characteristics of a cult. Partly this is true because historically the use of the word has changed.... and partly because there are so many uses of it currently.

In the beginning it meant simply a group which had a system of worship... compare it to the word "culture" for an idea of how generalized it was.

Later it gained negative connotations when those of the majority worship system of a culture used it in a derogatory way to refer to any minority worship system. Thus Christianity would be considered a "cult" by either the Roman polytheistic system, or the Jewish Monotheistic worship system. Later, Protestants would be considered "cults" by Roman Catholics... etc.

But all that changed with the proliferation of new religions that developed during the 19th century when East began infiltrating West, and Occultic mysticism and theories began invading "Christian cultures", and even claiming to be Christian.... as in Christian Science, for example. Theosophy, Anthroposophy, New Thought, Transcendentalism, Spiritualism... all were in one way or another amalgamations of ancient or Eastern religions with various kinds of "Christianity".... and I put Christianity in quotes because of the distance some branches of it were from Biblical Christianity.

Coming into the 20th century, these cults multiplied like the proverbial "fruit flies". And with many of them based on supernatural revelations.... whether prophet, meditating guru, or channeller, an increasing number of them qualified quite literally as being based on the "doctrines of demons" that Paul warned of.... in much more literal ways than most of us have ever dreamed possible.

Adventists, for the most part.... not only laypersons, but leaders as well.... have been so isolated from contact with these cults that we not only have never taken a leading role in explaining them to our people and warning against them, but we have needlessly concerned ourselves with worry over whether we were indeed one of the "cults" rather than truly a Christian church. And at times our ignorance in these matters have caused some of us to make fools of ourselves by condemning those of our leaders who tried to ensure that we would not be listed in the Evangelical books as one of the non-Christian cults.

And OTOH, not knowing what it was that the various "cult-watchers" were and are seeing that they are trying to valiantly to guard against, others of us scrutinize ourselves too closely, not realizing what is behind the vocabulary that is used to describe the criteria of what is considered a cult... or even what is considered a dangerous cult... which if I correctly read the list that seemed to spark this thread, was a common characteristic of all those listed.

But time is up for now... so I'll have to come back to this tomorrow. In the meantime.... carry on....

snack.gif

Birdy - you broketh it down.... yes.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 9 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #28

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Jan 8 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]168546[/snapback]

I agree with this too.....
OOooooo...but this is exactly what I was thinking and aligning with the beliefs of Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, and Branch Davidians...
Birdy - you broketh it down.... yes.gif

spoton.gif Sure did.

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
frenchmon
post Jan 10 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Jan 6 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]167944[/snapback]

On the History Channel recently there was a look back at Cults and the "havoc" that they have wrecked on lives/the US in the past years. They looked at Jim Jones and Jonestown, Charles Manson and the Family, Shoko Asahara and the Sarin in Tokoyo, and finally David Koresh and the Branch Davidians (whom they continually linked to Seventh-Day Adventists).

Thoughts?

How far are we (SDA's) from being a cult? What is the difference between a cult and a religion? How do you know that we (SDA's) are not a cult?

Thoughts?

Yes...But you must remember with in the pale Adventisim you have many different belief systems. But for the most part yes SDAiam is cultic. Just look at how many hold to EGW. Many will go to their graves trying to prove she is on the same level as biblical prophets. Many will twist scripture to make it harmonize with EGW. This is cultic. The officail church stance is that "her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction." . I have found things contained in her works that was not truth.

frenchmon

snack.gif

HISTORYCHANNEL.com<<<---***Click Here to See the synapsis of the Investigation/Report***

Addendum to OP Question:
"Back to the definition/characteristics.... what do cults do??"

--------------------
The End for which God Created the World Is Himself!

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 27 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #30

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(MsHoly1 @ Jan 8 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]168315[/snapback]

I could be wrong but I don't think the OP was only talking about what the world thinks but moreso how we look compared to non-SDA Christians. dunno.gif

That too....

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church