Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12014&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:03:34 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are We A Cult?, Thoughts/Points to Ponder
vidjam
post Jan 27 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Definitions are so important. The biggest "cult" in the world is the Roman Catholic Church. They believe in drinking literal blood and eating literal flesh and hold to many other beliefs which would easily put any other group in the category of "cult." Yet they are not classified as a cult by those who generally are considered to be authorities in such matters. Maybe it really is a question of who makes the definitions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 27 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #32

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

I used to be Catholic....I didn't drink "literal" blood or eat "literal" flesh....it was symbolic. Just as our Communion is at an SDA Church. Do Catholics take their Communions more serious....maybe....
dunno.gif

...but I don't know a Catholic that would co-sign to the literal flesh and blood theme.

It was wine and a wafer. A nasty wafer at that. I normally choked on it.

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jan 28 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Jan 28 2007, 02:29 AM) [snapback]173344[/snapback]

I used to be Catholic....I didn't drink "literal" blood or eat "literal" flesh....it was symbolic. Just as our Communion is at an SDA Church. Do Catholics take their Communions more serious....maybe....
dunno.gif

...but I don't know a Catholic that would co-sign to the literal flesh and blood theme.

It was wine and a wafer. A nasty wafer at that. I normally choked on it.

I thought they believed the wine and bread transformed into the literal body of Christ?

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 28 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #34

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 28 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]173492[/snapback]

I thought they believed the wine and bread transformed into the literal body of Christ?

They believe in the transformation to the "literal" - but no Catholic would make it seem like they are drinking "real" blood and "real" flesh "literally"....

..but yes. You are correct Denny. Maybe that is what Vidjam was getting at....
scratchchin.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
vidjam
post Jan 28 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,819

Yes drRe. That is what I really meant. I was not really referring to how individual members might actually view it but I suppose when you classify a denomination you go by what the group teaches officially.

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 28 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #36

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Then this is why we are viewed as a cult!

I see it now...
yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 29 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #37

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

thumbdown.gif Some of y'all may be, but not me. rofl1.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Feb 4 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #38

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(seraph|m @ Jan 29 2007, 02:36 AM) [snapback]173630[/snapback]

Of course we are NOT a cult...but I can see how we are viewed as one....

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Feb 12 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #39

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 44

QUOTE(seraph|m @ Jan 29 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]173630[/snapback]

rofl1.gif roflmao.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Mar 10 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #40

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

bumpeth!
snack.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Mar 10 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #41

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

I have not read through all the earlier posts in this thread but thought I would add the following quote:
(and my apologies if I am duplicating a prior post) doh.gif

"...if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps 'the' religion;
and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect;
but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult."

~Leo Pfeffer.

A humorous quotation, but one that is uncomfortably close to reality IMHO.

nw
C"i"

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
foofighter
post Mar 10 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,898

Some characteristics of a cult:

Extrabiblical Knowledge

Apocalyptic thinking

Salvation through their group only

Us vs. Them mentality

Persecution Complex

Bible must be interpreted by their group

Spiritual Elitism

Controlling Leader/Prophet - Leader has a special pipeline to God without accountability. This gives weightiness and a special authority in their pronouncements even in non-essentials

Perfectionistic

Control of Information

Does not encourage questioning

Legalism

Manipulation

Denounces all other churches

Members that leave group are considered lost

Painful Exit Process

Former members have similar stories

Shunning

Deception in recruiting

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 10 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #43

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Uh oh! snack.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 10 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #44

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

we tend to be cultic.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 10 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #45

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

That's what it be lookin' like..........

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church