Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12014&st=60 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:03:39 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are We A Cult?, Thoughts/Points to Ponder
Clay
post Mar 12 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #61

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

two questions were posed earlier this morning.....

Do you need to be a seventh day adventist to be saved?

Do you believe the seventh day adventist church is God's true church?

No one has chosen to answer so far because most of us adventists believe that the answer to both questions are yes....

Most adventists (not all) would tell you that its not enough to be a christian, no you must also observe the sabbath..... that position has always made me wonder which was more important Christ or the sabbath.....

Secondly most adventists will tell you that the seventh day adventist church is God's remnant church.....

Those answers in my opinion appear to be cultish.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 12 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #62

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

They are, because they infer that something else beside Christ is needed for our salvation.

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 12 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]184716[/snapback]

two questions were posed earlier this morning.....
No one has chosen to answer so far because most of us adventists believe that the answer to both questions are yes....

Most adventists (not all) would tell you that its not enough to be a christian, no you must also observe the sabbath..... that position has always made me wonder which was more important Christ or the sabbath.....

Secondly most adventists will tell you that the seventh day adventist church is God's remnant church.....

Those answers in my opinion appear to be cultish.....

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 12 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #63

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Mar 12 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]184736[/snapback]

They are, because they infer that something else beside Christ is needed for our salvation.

isn't that what we infer? You need to observe sabbath, you need to follow a certain diet, you need to dress a certain way.... all are needed for salvation.... isn't that our belief?

--------------------

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 12 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #64

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

That is true. we infer that, and quite deliberately.... i mean It just goes along with us being the "remnant, mentioned in the Bible. If youa re not part of the "biblical" Remnant, then you are lost. The Remnant keep the 10 commandments, especially the 4th...........

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 12 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]184750[/snapback]

isn't that what we infer? You need to observe sabbath, you need to follow a certain diet, you need to dress a certain way.... all are needed for salvation.... isn't that our belief?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 12 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #65

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Mar 12 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]184766[/snapback]

That is true. we infer that, and quite deliberately.... i mean It just goes along with us being the "remnant, mentioned in the Bible. If you are not part of the "biblical" Remnant, then you are lost. The Remnant keep the 10 commandments, especially the 4th...........

so then based on what you have suggested, I would maintain that we can be cultish....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Mar 12 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #66

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 12 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]184793[/snapback]

so then based on what you have suggested, I would maintain that we can be cultish....

yes.gif

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Mar 12 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #67

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 12 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]184750[/snapback]

it was tightly masked as I entered the throne in 98, but I knew enough that I actually tried to toe the line to fit! btwjm, back in the day... it's definitely a new day!

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Mar 16 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #68

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 44

QUOTE(foofighter @ Mar 11 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]184480[/snapback]

Some characteristics of a cult:

Extrabiblical Knowledge
Apocalyptic thinking
Salvation through their group only
Us vs. Them mentality
Persecution Complex
Bible must be interpreted by their group
Spiritual Elitism

Controlling Leader/Prophet - Leader has a special pipeline to God without accountability. This gives weightiness and a special authority in their pronouncements even in non-essentials

Perfectionistic
Control of Information
Does not encourage questioning
Legalism
Manipulation
Denounces all other churches
Members that leave group are considered lost
Painful Exit Process
Former members have similar stories
Shunning
Deception in recruiting

QUOTE(princessdi @ Mar 11 2007, 12:35 AM) [snapback]184481[/snapback]

Uh oh! snack.gif

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 11 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]184482[/snapback]

we tend to be cultic.....

QUOTE(princessdi @ Mar 11 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]184484[/snapback]

That's what it be lookin' like..........

Uh...yep. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pibb
post Mar 16 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 741

Dear Lord.. This would also include everyone who uses extra-biblical sources for Biblical knowledge.
Pibb

+Quote Post
Clay
post Mar 16 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #70

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pibb @ Mar 16 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]185814[/snapback]

Dear Lord.. This would also include everyone who uses extra-biblical sources for Biblical knowledge.
Pibb

using extra biblical sources for knowledge is not the problem... the problem is when extra biblical sources are used to fill in the blanks where the bible is silent.... or when those extra biblical sources are used to control members and dictate what beliefs those members should have....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pibb
post Mar 16 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 741

The controlling aspect I can understand, filling in the blanks on where the Bible is silent, not too sure.
Example would be archaeological findings, thought technically, and literally extrabiblical can give us clues to events, or societies in Bible times. History for that matter is also a good extrabiblical resource.
I think I know what you're saying though as using the extrabiblical resource as the end all be all, and the other person may or may not even be convinced.

I was recently watching a documentary on faith, and a woman stated it very well "You don't have to explain your faith to anyone, that's why it's called faith".I am paraphrasing, but that was the message.
Come to think of it, is that a Biblical approach?
Pibb

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Mar 17 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #72

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 12 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]184750[/snapback]

UM....yeah!
blink.gif
QUOTE(Pibb @ Mar 16 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]185814[/snapback]

Pibb

QUOTE(Clay @ Mar 16 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]185815[/snapback]

using extra biblical sources for knowledge is not the problem... the problem is when extra biblical sources are used to fill in the blanks where the bible is silent.... or when those extra biblical sources are used to control members and dictate what beliefs those members should have....

I agree...
spoton.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 17 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #73

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Yes! Think....Noah.........Abraham......Job......... yes.gif

I was recently watching a documentary on faith, and a woman stated it very well "You don't have to explain your faith to anyone, that's why it's called faith".I am paraphrasing, but that was the message.
Come to think of it, is that a Biblical approach?
Pibb

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Mar 17 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #74

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

Deep Di....
snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Nasha
post Mar 18 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #75

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 397

Sometimes when people take their faith to the extreme or what others deem as extreme it is seen as cultish. John the Baptist had stringent teaching...he also lived in the wildernes, wore simple covering and ate wild locusts and honey. We would say the man is off his rocker but he lived and died for what he believed in.

There are some churches that are similar. Down to the way that the offering is picked up. People call others cultish because they take literally that all that they do should be to the glory of God and that they are not their own but God's vessels. So they eat, drink, dress, speak, worship and live with the constant thought that they don't want to be passed up by the ink horn angel.

SDA can appear cultish, especially when the SOP is used as a guide before the bible. When folk say that the people of God or the remnant are SDA and others will come into the church during the time of trouble. IT should be kept in mind that others in the other folds will come to Jesus and serve Him.

--------------------
He starts with you

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church