Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13601&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:00:59 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Message To The Galatians...., good sermon.....
Clay
post May 21 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #1

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

Someone shared this and thought I would start a thread....

.....We need to ask ourselves the same question. Do you believe that you have been radically saved? Do you believe that you have received the very Spirit of God? If so, how did that happen? Did that happen because you were good enough? Did that happen because you went to church enough? Did that happen because you did certain religious rituals? Or did it happen by grace through faith?
The message of Galatians has been very clear. It can only happen by grace through faith. We are only justified by faith—Paul has said it over and over again. If that is true, then look at verse 3: “Are you so foolish?” This is where the irrational thought comes into play. “Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?”
The false teachers, the Judaizers, were saying, “Okay, even though you have been saved (now that you have been saved in order to perfect that) in order to bring it to completion, you have to do this, this, this and this.” Paul says that is idiotic. He says you have a mental problem if that is what you think. How could the Law, which was unable to accomplish salvation, now bring about the completion of salvation? If it didn’t work then, it is not going to work now. If it couldn’t make us righteous then, it does not make us righteous now. What began by faith must be completed by faith.

http://media.lincolnberean.org/pdfdocs/Gal..._01_14Trans.pdf

Are we guilty of having the same mindset of the Galatians?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 21 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #2

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

more good food for thought IMO (emphasis mine)

James 2:10 says that if you offend the law in one point, you are guilty of the whole thing. The legalist makes up his own list. The legalist picks and chooses those things that define righteousness, and then everything else is just swept away as a non-issue. Paul said it does not work that way. I have noticed over the years that the legalist tends to make a list out of those things he or she does not struggle with, and is very quick to dismiss those things he does struggle with.

It might look like this on a Sunday morning. The legalist gets up and comes to church. He comes to church because he has to—that is on the “list.” He may have a heart full of self-righteousness. He may have a very critical judgmental heart. He may have a heart filled with pride. But he has figured out a way to justify those things. They are non-issues and they are not dealt with. After the service, he walks out to the parking lot and he sees a growing Christian light up a cigarette; and he immediately believes, You are less spiritual than I am. He has cast his judgment because that is on the list. He is walking through the foyer and up comes a high school student with a ring in his nose. Immediately he believes, You are less spiritual than I am because that is on my list.

Paul says, “That is idiotic. That is legalism.” It is just simply setting up our own standard to think, This is the list of rules that make us righteous. There are a whole bunch of sin issues in my life I am just going to dismiss as non-issues.

That is exactly what the Judaizers were doing. Paul said it does not work that way. If you believe that in order to be saved you have to keep the Sabbath, or take communion, or go through baptism, or attend a certain church—that you have to do this or you have to do that—you need to understand you are then saying that salvation is merited by Law. Therefore, you have to keep the whole thing. It is all or nothing. The conclusion is that nobody can do that. And that is exactly right.

Verse 11: “Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, ‘The righteous man shall live by faith.’ However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, ‘He who practices them shall live by them.’ ” It is a very interesting statement Paul makes when he says, “The Law is not of faith.” I know a lot of legalists who would say they are people of faith. They are not. Paul says clearly that the legalist is not of faith. Legalism is the walk of sight. Grace is the walk of faith.

The legalist frankly just does not believe Galatians 2:20 is true. If you believe that grace is a license for sin, then you do not believe Galatians 2:20. Because the radical change that is now the very life of Christ will do far more to conform somebody to the image of Christ than the Law ever could pretend to do. The legalist does not believe that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
princessdi
post May 21 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #3

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

OK?!!! Praise God!!! clap.gif Good sermon!!!!

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 21 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #4

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ May 21 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]196214[/snapback]

OK?!!! Praise God!!! clap.gif Good sermon!!!!

it is excellent food for thought in my opinion.... however not everyone is gonna agree I am sure....

--------------------

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post May 21 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #5

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Clay @ May 21 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]196224[/snapback]

it is excellent food for thought in my opinion.... however not everyone is gonna agree I am sure....

I've only begun reading the full sermon but so far, Pastor Clark has nailed it! That so many from the very beginning of the new Christian church fall into the trap of trying to earn salvation through keeping the law tells me that it may be, perhaps, the most clever diversion that Satan has ever fathered to separate human beings from the true source of Power.

Jesus also preached about the problem of legalism when he described the older brother's reaction to the homecoming gala his father threw for his prodigal younger brother.

Maybe we should start a list of those not agreeing with Bryan Clark's sermon and Paul's message to the Galations - a prayer list!

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
LeePaDee
post May 21 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #6

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 19

So.... devil's advocate... what good is the law?
It cannot save, so... why bother with the ... 10Commandments?

--------------------
This is how change happens: someone hurts, and sooner or later decides to do something about it.
--TRAITOR by Matthew Woodring Stover - p.29

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post May 21 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ May 21 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]196235[/snapback]

I've only begun reading the full sermon but so far, Pastor Clark has nailed it! That so many from the very beginning of the new Christian church fall into the trap of trying to earn salvation through keeping the law tells me that it may be, perhaps, the most clever diversion that Satan has ever fathered to separate human beings from the true source of Power.

Jesus also preached about the problem of legalism when he described the older brother's reaction to the homecoming gala his father threw for his prodigal younger brother.

Maybe we should start a list of those not agreeing with Bryan Clark's sermon and Paul's message to the Galations - a prayer list!

It appears there is a several month series on Galatians.

http://www.lincolnberean.org/equipping/ser...hterm=galatians

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 21 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #8

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ May 21 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]196236[/snapback]

The law is good to point out the need for Christ as a Personal Savior.

+Quote Post
foofighter
post May 21 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,898

QUOTE(Clay @ May 21 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]196198[/snapback]

Someone shared this and thought I would start a thread....

Are we guilty of having the same mindset of the Galatians?

Clay,

What a great book of the Bible! Paul does such a clear presentation of the promise through Abraham, the Law to Israel when it was given, why it was given and when the covenant ended-when Jesus came and fulfilled the law and the promise. Thanks for bringing this tremendous book up today, I read it again and it resparked my amazment at how Christianity is so simple and pure and that God is Love! As Paul said in Gal 5:13-14 "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature, rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

There is an excellent DVD about the Worldwide Church of God, entitled "Called to be Free" It is a documentary about their journey. It can be viewed here http://www.lhvm.org/vid_ctbf_med.htm. I think that is correct, but the website is Living Hope Ministries. It is so real and human and a very poignant story of what happens when all you've known is shattered by the Gospel. Very powerful. I would be interested in what you, Clay think, and anyone else who would be willing to take about an hour for this. I promise you won't be disappointed, even if you disagree.

Anyway, thanks again for reminding me of this awesome book. I went to the website of that church in Lincoln and it looks like a great church!

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 21 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #10

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(foofighter @ May 21 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]196261[/snapback]

Clay,

What a great book of the Bible! Paul does such a clear presentation of the promise through Abraham, the Law to Israel when it was given, why it was given and when the covenant ended-when Jesus came and fulfilled the law and the promise. Thanks for bringing this tremendous book up today, I read it again and it resparked my amazment at how Christianity is so simple and pure and that God is Love! As Paul said in Gal 5:13-14 "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature, rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

There is an excellent DVD about the Worldwide Church of God, entitled "Called to be Free" It is a documentary about their journey. It can be viewed here http://www.lhvm.org/vid_ctbf_med.htm. I think that is correct, but the website is Living Hope Ministries. It is so real and human and a very poignant story of what happens when all you've known is shattered by the Gospel. Very powerful. I would be interested in what you, Clay think, and anyone else who would be willing to take about an hour for this. I promise you won't be disappointed, even if you disagree.

Anyway, thanks again for reminding me of this awesome book. I went to the website of that church in Lincoln and it looks like a great church!

thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the website you suggested this evening....

--------------------

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post May 21 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #11

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ May 21 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]196236[/snapback]

LeePaDee,

I personally believe that the 10 commandments teach us about God's character, such as His loyalty, creative power, honor, respect, kindness, truthfulness, faith, love, etc. Do you suppose that before they accepted sin into their lives Adam and Eve shared many of these same characteristics?

I really appreciate this EGW statement:

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart-work with Christ. And if we consent, he will so identify himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to his will, that when obeying him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing his service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us. {RH, July 14, 1910 par. 6}

Hebrews 13:20,21 says: 20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 22 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #12

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ May 21 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]196236[/snapback]

here are some comments.....

Paul has been talking to the Galatian believers, who had reached a point where they understood there was no way that they could perform. They understood they could not keep the Law in order to be good enough for God, to be declared righteous before God. That brought them to the point where they had to simply receive by faith—to be justified, declared legally righteous before God on the basis of faith alone.
But for whatever reason, they seem to have left faith and grace at the cross and now were trying to live out their Christian life, to “complete their salvation” by the Law. And Paul says, “You know, if the Law could not accomplish your salvation, it cannot complete your salvation.” In other words, the Law isn't the basis for living out our Christian life. He said to think that way is illogical; it's unreasonable. As a matter of fact, he even says, “You Galatians are idiotic for thinking that way.”

http://media.lincolnberean.org/pdfdocs/Gal..._15_29Trans.pdf

Then why the Law? What was the point? What was the purpose?
Verse 19: “Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions.” That word “transgressions” is an interesting word. It is not just a synonym for sin. It's a very specific word. It means to violate the Law—to break the Law. Paul uses this word in Romans to make the argument that before the Law there were no transgressions. He doesn't mean, by that, that there was no sin. What he does mean is that because there was not a Law, there was not a breaking of the Law.
So the Law was added to provide a standard by which people could then know if they were breaking that standard. In other words, the Law was the math test; and we were getting the math test back and could see our grade. We could know if we're good or bad. We could know if we are passing or failing. That was the purpose of the Law. It was a system where God gave the Law, and then the people either obeyed or disobeyed. So, in a sense, it was a two-party system.

http://media.lincolnberean.org/pdfdocs/Gal..._15_29Trans.pdf

“Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God?” The legalist would say, “Yes, it is.” The legalist says there are two completely different systems: one is the promise, salvation by grace through faith…Abraham; and one is on the basis of performance, according to the Law…Moses. The legalist says yes, they are in conflict. The legalist says you can't have them both, because the legalist doesn't understand the purpose of the Law.
Paul responds to that question very strongly, “May it never be! [that's a strong statement that says “Absolutely not!”] For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law.” Paul is saying that if the Law had the ability to do what the legalist says it can do, then God would have brought life from the Law. But the purpose of the Law was never to bring forth life. It was never to make us holy. It was to reveal us as sinners. The legalist has misunderstood the purpose of the Law.

The law brother Lee shows us that we have need of a Savior....

“Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, [why?] that we may be justified [declared righteous] by faith.” The Law was our tutor. Some translations used the word “schoolmaster.” That isn't quite accurate or may be a little misleading. The Law was not our schoolteacher; the Law was our tutor.

A tutor was a guardian. Typically in the first century that was a slave. The responsibility of the tutor was to oversee the children, to be the guardian of the children—to make sure that the children made it to school and back home and didn't get into trouble either way. The tutor made sure the kids did what they were supposed to be doing. And often they did that with considerable aggression, almost to the point of being abusive. Often when a tutor was pictured from the first century, it was with a cane or a rod in their hand, because they were known as being abusive in their attempt to control the behavior of the children.
Paul says that's what the Law was: the Law was our tutor, our guardian. To do what? “…to lead us to Christ.” The Law was our disciplinarian. The Law did whatever was necessary in order to get us to recognize our need for a Savior.

I would recommend you check out the links.... read it for yourself...

--------------------

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 22 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #13

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

Now there was a video posted about the WWCOG and how they gave up Sabbath keeping after an intense and exhaustive study of the scriptures. There is big debate about those who keep the Sabbath versus those who don't in Adventism. Personally I am really working on getting back into church on Saturday morning, not because I need to, but because when I do, it's going to be a desire, but from this video if you do decide to watch it, could you actually see the damage that fussing over days caused this group of people to endure. Families were destroyed, and churches were broken up. Point being, why do humans really try to force God on people when it comes to their beliefs. I believe if people can get to a point where they trust God enough, then both sides, those who believe in keeping the Sabbath, and those who don't think that it's necessary, then it would make for a better world. God is being caught in the middle of things that he neither sanctions nor require...this is why so many people leave church. I am glad that Brother Claborn brought this issue up. I think this is one of the most glossed over areas in the church today...Our liberty and duty as individuals to have a relationship with Christ so that we will not be forced into a certain way of thinking, giving up our ability to rationalize things that should be common!

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 22 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ May 22 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]196388[/snapback]

Now there was a video posted about the WWCOG and how they gave up Sabbath keeping after an intense and exhaustive study of the scriptures. There is big debate about those who keep the Sabbath versus those who don't in Adventism. Personally I am really working on getting back into church on Saturday morning, not because I need to, but because when I do, it's going to be a desire, but from this video if you do decide to watch it, could you actually see the damage that fussing over days caused this group of people to endure. Families were destroyed, and churches were broken up. Point being, why do humans really try to force God on people when it comes to their beliefs. I believe if people can get to a point where they trust God enough, then both sides, those who believe in keeping the Sabbath, and those who don't think that it's necessary, then it would make for a better world. God is being caught in the middle of things that he neither sanctions nor require...this is why so many people leave church. I am glad that Brother Claborn brought this issue up. I think this is one of the most glossed over areas in the church today...Our liberty and duty as individuals to have a relationship with Christ so that we will not be forced into a certain way of thinking, giving up our ability to rationalize things that should be common!

the reality in the scriptures tells us that God writes the law on the heart of each believer... so when we parade around talking about we are defending the 10 commandments we are promoting an idea that is contrary to the bible we say we believe in... Paul's letter to the Galatians reminds us that the Law could never save, and does not earn us brownie points with God... yet this idea does not die easily...

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 22 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #15

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

I am so glad I "stumbled" on to this thread tonight...I have always loved this book of the bible too.
This is very good stuff and what a great thread Clay. Very good idea. Thank you.
How is something so simple and wonderful made to be so complicated and corrupt?

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:01 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church