Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13601&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:02:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Message To The Galatians...., good sermon.....
Denny
post May 23 2007, 04:35 AM
Post #16

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ May 21 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]196236[/snapback]

So.... devil's advocate... what good is the law?
It cannot save, so... why bother with the ... 10Commandments?

The 10C shows us that we need Jesus cos we can't keep them, He keeps them for us hence as the song says Not I but Christ. But the SDA legalist way is This way via the Nutso-Fundamentals..........

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mikemike
post May 23 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,446

QUOTE(LeePaDee @ May 21 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]196236[/snapback]

So.... devil's advocate... what good is the law?
It cannot save, so... why bother with the ... 10Commandments?

so we have no need for the commandments that God told us to keep.
QUOTE(Denny @ May 23 2007, 06:35 AM) [snapback]196518[/snapback]

The 10C shows us that we need Jesus cos we can't keep them, He keeps them for us hence as the song says Not I but Christ. But the SDA legalist way is This way via the Nutso-Fundamentals..........

We do nothing, God keeps the commandments for us and we do nothings. Wow, and all this time I was following 1 Corinthians 7:19. What happen to make people think that God did not mean every word He said? dunno.gif

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 23 2007, 07:16 AM
Post #18

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(mikemike @ May 23 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]196524[/snapback]

What happen to make people think that God did not mean every word He said? dunno.gif

MikeMike hiya.gif

Belated welcome to BSDA.

I suppose my question to you initially is why do you think every word attributed to God, He said? Until we clarify that or how many can be attributed to Him and to whom they were said, then how can we discuss what is meant?

Sorry folks I hope this does not take this thread careening off topic. If it does, Clay and Di forgive and move as needed as I would hate to see this thread get hijacked.

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 23 2007, 07:19 AM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post May 23 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(mikemike @ May 23 2007, 07:06 AM) [snapback]196524[/snapback]

We do nothing, God keeps the commandments for us and we do nothings. Wow, and all this time I was following 1 Corinthians 7:19. What happen to make people think that God did not mean every word He said? dunno.gif

Quick suggestion mikey. Read the sermon resource and then comment. Posting the SDA knee-jerk reaction to the dichotomy between works based and faith based salvation adds nothing to the discussion.

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post
LeePaDee
post May 23 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #20

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

MIKEMIKE WROTE:
------So, MM... keeping the commandments will get you into heaven. Have I understood your point??

--------------------
This is how change happens: someone hurts, and sooner or later decides to do something about it.
--TRAITOR by Matthew Woodring Stover - p.29

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 23 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

notworking.gif

+Quote Post
Denny
post May 23 2007, 09:11 AM
Post #22

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(mikemike @ May 23 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]196524[/snapback]

Read what is written not what you think is written...... notworking.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 23 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #23

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

We do nothing, God keeps the commandments for us and we do nothings. Wow, and all this time I was following 1 Corinthians 7:19. What happen to make people think that God did not mean every word He said? :dunno:

as I said, some ideas die hard.... something else to consider....

Heb 8:7-12
If the first agreement with God had been all right, there would not have been any need for another one. (8) But the Lord found fault with it and said, "I tell you the time will come, when I will make a new agreement with the people of Israel and the people of Judah. (9) It won't be like the agreement that I made with their ancestors, when I took them by the hand and led them out of Egypt. They broke their agreement with me, and I stopped caring about them! (10) "But now I tell the people of Israel this is my new agreement: 'The time will come when I, the Lord, will write my laws on their minds and hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. (11) Not one of them will have to teach another to know me, their Lord.' "All of them will know me, no matter who they are. (12) I will treat them with kindness, even though they are wicked. I will forget their sins."

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 24 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #24

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

this is deep IMO.... ponder this for a moment or two.....(emphasis mine)

The majority of people in our country do believe in God. They do believe that Jesus lived and He died on a cross. But the overwhelming majority believe that still isn't sufficient. They believe, I've got to do something; I've got to perform these religious functions in order ultimately to be saved. That is in contrast to the cross alone, which is understanding that Jesus died on the cross to do for me what I could not do for myself. Therefore, Jesus' death on the cross alone merits my salvation; I don't add anything to it.

When I understand the implications of the cross, what I'm saying is: I am a moral failure. I am unrighteous. I am damned and headed for hell, and I realize there's nothing I can do to change that. Therefore, I have to reach out to Jesus on the cross and trust Him as my Savior in order to experience salvation.

The cross, therefore, kicks the props out from under legalism. It puts the legalist out of business—because the legalist is about making a good showing, about performing. The meaning of the cross is: there's nothing you can do to make a good showing; you cannot perform well. Therefore, all you have is the cross. So the message of the cross is offensive to the legalists, because it puts them out of business.

I know there's a tendency to think, Well, as long as people believe that Jesus died on the cross—that's the main thing. And then if they add all these other things, then that's not that big of deal. Paul says no, that is a big deal. That has become a different gospel, which is no gospel at all. This is the point of the great divide. It's either all of grace or it's not. There's no middle ground.

More food for thought... emphasis mine...

Once I realize that this is no longer based on my performance (that I'm not out there competing with you and trying to perform for God to receive God's blessings) then my anxiety gives way to peace, because I realize this is all based on His mercy. I don't have to compete with you anymore. I don't have to challenge you anymore. I don't have to try to use you in order to make a good showing. I don't have to try and use you to make myself look spiritual. And I don't have to react to you when you fail, or you to me when I fail. But we're just fellow beggars who were hopeless and we received a gift. We're in this together, and we can love and support and encourage one another.
Is it easy? No, it's not. It's really hard. Verse 17: “From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the brand-marks of Jesus.” Paul literally had been whipped multiple times because of his message of the cross. And do you know who whipped him? It wasn't the world. It was the religious world that whipped Him—the legalists—because they were offended by His message.

The reality is, Paul has told us it is not easy to be a person of grace. It's not! People of grace will always be persecuted by people of law. You need to just know that. It's not easy to have the legalists say, “You don't measure up…you're not doing this right…you're not very spiritual.” And our tendency is to conform to that. But Paul says, “Don't. Stand firm. Do not again subject yourself to a yoke of slavery.”

http://media.lincolnberean.org/pdfdocs/Gal..._11_18Trans.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 24 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #25

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

The majority of people in our country do believe in God. They do believe that Jesus lived and He died on a cross. But the overwhelming majority believe that still isn't sufficient. They believe, I've got to do something; I've got to perform these religious functions in order ultimately to be saved. That is in contrast to the cross alone, which is understanding that Jesus died on the cross to do for me what I could not do for myself. Therefore, Jesus' death on the cross alone merits my salvation; I don't add anything to it.

When I understand the implications of the cross, what I'm saying is: I am a moral failure. I am unrighteous. I am damned and headed for hell, and I realize there's nothing I can do to change that. Therefore, I have to reach out to Jesus on the cross and trust Him as my Savior in order to experience salvation.

The cross, therefore, kicks the props out from under legalism. It puts the legalist out of business—because the legalist is about making a good showing, about performing. The meaning of the cross is: there's nothing you can do to make a good showing; you cannot perform well. Therefore, all you have is the cross. So the message of the cross is offensive to the legalists, because it puts them out of business.

I know there's a tendency to think, Well, as long as people believe that Jesus died on the cross—that's the main thing. And then if they add all these other things, then that's not that big of deal. Paul says no, that is a big deal. That has become a different gospel, which is no gospel at all. This is the point of the great divide. It's either all of grace or it's not. There's no middle ground.

Once I realize that this is no longer based on my performance (that I'm not out there competing with you and trying to perform for God to receive God's blessings) then my anxiety gives way to peace, because I realize this is all based on His mercy. I don't have to compete with you anymore. I don't have to challenge you anymore. I don't have to try to use you in order to make a good showing. I don't have to try and use you to make myself look spiritual. And I don't have to react to you when you fail, or you to me when I fail. But we're just fellow beggars who were hopeless and we received a gift. We're in this together, and we can love and support and encourage one another.
Is it easy? No, it's not. It's really hard. Verse 17: “From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the brand-marks of Jesus.” Paul literally had been whipped multiple times because of his message of the cross. And do you know who whipped him? It wasn't the world. It was the religious world that whipped Him—the legalists—because they were offended by His message.

The reality is, Paul has told us it is not easy to be a person of grace. It's not! People of grace will always be persecuted by people of law. You need to just know that. It's not easy to have the legalists say, “You don't measure up…you're not doing this right…you're not very spiritual.” And our tendency is to conform to that. But Paul says, “Don't. Stand firm. Do not again subject yourself to a yoke of slavery.”

--------------------

Clay
"The universe (he said) is the Great All, and offers a paradox too great for the finite mind to grasp. As the living brain cannot conceive of a non-living brain - although it may think it can - the finite mind cannot grasp the infinite." -The Dark Tower-

Micah 6:8 "do what is right, love mercy, & walk without pride before your God."
Until people come before Christ and receive His mercy, they too will continue to experience the 400 years of wandering in the wilderness. A relationship with Christ, will put you at the foot of the cross, and there you will truly find peace, joy, and freedom! You can find nothing but grace and mercy at the cross of Christ...Slavery is not fun, and a relationship with Christ is the only way one can truly escape being the slaves of men, religious men!!! Thanks for this Clay!

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: May 24 2007, 11:10 AM

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post May 24 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(Clay @ May 24 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]196671[/snapback]

Clay, thank you for allowing us to share your study on this. It is very gratifying.

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 24 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #27

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(YogusBearus @ May 24 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]196708[/snapback]

Clay, thank you for allowing us to share your study on this. It is very gratifying.

-bear

I saw the site, read the contents and found it liberating... so I wanted to share with you all.... notworthy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post May 24 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ May 24 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]196687[/snapback]

Until people come before Christ and receive His mercy, they too will continue to experience the 400 years of wandering in the wilderness.

Umm... they only wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, bruh... you're thinking about the 430 years they spent in Egypt...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post May 24 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #29

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

1 Corinthian 1: 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

This is another verse along the lines of what Pastor Bryan is voicing. When I ran across the verse shortly after I reconnected with the Lord two years ago, I read it and understood it to be referring to those like my husband who see religion as a silly crutch, a fairly tail. As I read the portions of the study that Clay has posted above, I now realize it also applies to those trapped in the practice of legalism who, by their very actions, show that they don't trust in the true power of salvation that the cross respresents.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 25 2007, 04:31 AM
Post #30

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ May 24 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]196740[/snapback]

Umm... they only wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, bruh... you're thinking about the 430 years they spent in Egypt...

In His service,
Mr. J

Thanks for the correction, too much Bob Marley has never been good for anyone! rofl1.gif
400 year 400 years...had that on my mind when posting about the 40 years in the wilderness...man that's not so cool no.gif

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: May 25 2007, 04:43 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:02 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church