Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13765&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:11:59 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> For The General Conference Of Seventh-day Adventists:, A PR Plan to Avert Disaster (re: 3ABN)
Artiste
post Jun 7 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,569

To State the Premise:

3ABN has become the premier world-wide media organization broadcasting Seventh-day Adventist programming for the last 20+ years. It has been widely used as a venue for conference officials, well-known pastors, and General Conference events.

A prominent Seventh-day Adventist leader has referred to it and/or its founder as "the face of Adventism".

Has the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists now relegated 3ABN to "an independent supporting ministry", of which the General Conference is not "taking any particular position in issues which are under the purview of the Board of Directors of 3ABN"?

Legions of trusting Adventists receive 3ABN in their homes. They give their financial and moral support to both the programming and the administration.

Some, however, have heard that there might be problems with it. Being loyal Seventh-day Adventists, they look to the church leadership for guidance.

To be continued...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jun 7 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Topic: FOR THE GENERAL CONFERENCE OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS

1. The Premise

2. The Current Public Relations Problem

3. The Plan to Avert Negative PR

4. Discussion of the Plan

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Jun 7 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jun 7 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]198839[/snapback]

To State the Premise:

3ABN has become the premier world-wide media organization broadcasting Seventh-day Adventist programming for the last 20+ years. It has been widely used as a venue for conference officials, well-known pastors, and General Conference events.

A prominent Seventh-day Adventist leader has referred to it and/or its founder as "the face of Adventism".

Has the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists now relegated 3ABN to "an independent supporting ministry", of which the General Conference is not "taking any particular position in issues which are under the purview of the Board of Directors of 3ABN"?

Legions of trusting Adventists receive 3ABN in their homes. They give their financial and moral support to both the programming and the administration.

Some, however, have heard that there might be problems with it. Being loyal Seventh-day Adventists, they look to the church leadership for guidance.
To be continued...

Well put, Artiste. It reminds me of parents and their kids....as long as the children are acting right, well behaved and doing well in school they are "mine" but when they are acting up it turns into "do you know what YOUR son/daughter did today????"

BTW, I think I read somewhere that you were victimized? I am so truly sorry to hear that, but I am also thankful you found your way to BSDA to share with us. I also pray you have been able to find some sort of healing...

This post has been edited by Snoopy: Jun 7 2007, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jun 8 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Snoopy @ Jun 7 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]198868[/snapback]

Well put, Artiste. It reminds me of parents and their kids....as long as the children are acting right, well behaved and doing well in school they are "mine" but when they are acting up it turns into "do you know what YOUR son/daughter did today????"

BTW, I think I read somewhere that you were victimized? I am so truly sorry to hear that, but I am also thankful you found your way to BSDA to share with us. I also pray you have been able to find some sort of healing...

Thank you Snoopy for your thoughtfulness. I do appreciate very much the sharing in BSDA that helps alleviate both personal pain from the past and grieving over problems with 3ABN.

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jun 8 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The Current Public Relations Problem

Given that the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists has traditionally looked with approval upon the activities of 3ABN, the first part of the problem is the possibility of secular media realizing that there is a newsworthy story unfolding.

Relevant questions: How long ago was the leadership of the church first advised of administrative misbehavior at 3ABN? Have the leaders been engaged in a cover-up? Has there been undue influence placed upon church leadership by means of monetary or other causes?

The Seventh-day Adventist church is recognized for its health systems, educational institutions, and missions. Perceived complicity with the type of allegations currently being made against the church's primary media outlet could result in lurid publicity.

The second part of the problem concerns the members of the church. Those currently learning of the difficulties at 3ABN are distressed. The ones who have yet to learn of them may be angry as well as distressed, not having been warned that there is a problem. They have been left to believe that their financial contributions are being used in an appropriate manner.

+Quote Post
steffan
post Jun 8 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jun 8 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]198906[/snapback]

The Current Public Relations Problem

Given that the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists has traditionally looked with approval upon the activities of 3ABN, the first part of the problem is the possibility of secular media realizing that there is a newsworthy story unfolding.

Relevant questions: How long ago was the leadership of the church first advised of administrative misbehavior at 3ABN? Have the leaders been engaged in a cover-up? Has there been undue influence placed upon church leadership by means of monetary or other causes?

The Seventh-day Adventist church is recognized for its health systems, educational institutions, and missions. Perceived complicity with the type of allegations currently being made against the church's primary media outlet could result in lurid publicity.

The second part of the problem concerns the members of the church. Those currently learning of the difficulties at 3ABN are distressed. The ones who have yet to learn of them may be angry as well as distressed, not having been warned that there is a problem. They have been left to believe that their financial contributions are being used in an appropriate manner.

Though your post first appears as if you know what the conference learders are thinking, you apparently do not.

June 5, 2007
Dictated May 31, 2007

Your e-mail is the first that I have heard about me sending out a letter to our pastors not to preach on 3ABN. I hope that you have not circulated such an untruth. I know nothing of such a letter. Just today I was talking with an Adventist leader about the good that I feel 3ABN has accomplished and is accomplishing.

It is true that I have not called Danny Shelton lately. I do not chase down negative rumors, nor do I spread them. It would be impossible for me to keep up with all the bad rumors I hear if I ever wanted to follow all of them.

There are many people who need to hear the gospel. Let's do all we can to tell them.

Don C. Schneider
President
North American Division of Seventh-day Adventist

NEXT EMAIL

In response - all I can say is that there has been no change or
> review of the status of 3ABN as a supporting ministry by the
> General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
>

> Blessings.

> --Rajmund Dabrowski
> Communication Director
> Seventh-day Adventist Church
> World Headquarters
> 12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring MD 20904 USA

Now I have a reply from an AF official. While I was ask not to post the email I can tell you, in essence, what it said.
AF is a totally self supporting ministry and receives no financial support from the GC or Nad. The link with the conference is that some board members are conference ordained ministers or conference employees.
As for the 3abn allegations, it is gossip that people are reading on the internet. Most is untrue and/or taken out of context.

Then we have the post by Greg M. that says that maybe the statement by Elder Hankinson wasn't accurate due to it's brevity.

So, here you have it from 2 very important people in Leadership that can be named and one from AF that is "in the know." This is not speculation from conference leaders. They have put it in writing.
So where does this leave all of the unnamed sources that are "high up" in leadership that have been quoted by SSOM and several others which paints an opposite picture? Does this mean Elder Schneider and Mr. Dabroski are lying? Or does this mean SSOM is lying? Or could it be that all off these "anonymous high up officials" are not so "high up" afterall and evidently not in the "know" as much as they are credited for.
Let me point out another major issue that has been ignored here. Go to the real and authentic www.3abn.org site and look under 3abn history or just go to this link http://www.3abn.org/pdf/commitment.pdf. Under the resolve issues chapter, The conference plainly states that they will act on or order nothing without first communicating with 3abn and then proceeding to try and resolve any issues that might arrive.
So, if the Conference is issueing orders to avoid 3abn, were they lying in this contract? Or, as mentioned earlier, have some of you gotten your information wrong or are listening to the wrong people? What a surprise!!!!

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 8 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #7

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

More of a surprise is that you thought you would get any other answers. Also you should probably rea dthe toher thread about this. we already know that there has been no "official" change in status, and that GC will never put in writing such a proclamation, and....nevermind!

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jun 8 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #8

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(steffan @ Jun 8 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]198935[/snapback]

Though your post first appears as if you know what the conference learders are thinking, you apparently do not.

June 5, 2007
Dictated May 31, 2007

Your e-mail is the first that I have heard about me sending out a letter to our pastors not to preach on 3ABN. I hope that you have not circulated such an untruth. I know nothing of such a letter. Just today I was talking with an Adventist leader about the good that I feel 3ABN has accomplished and is accomplishing.

It is true that I have not called Danny Shelton lately. I do not chase down negative rumors, nor do I spread them. It would be impossible for me to keep up with all the bad rumors I hear if I ever wanted to follow all of them.

There are many people who need to hear the gospel. Let's do all we can to tell them.

Don C. Schneider
President

Steffan,
Thank you for posting this email. I have a few questions about it:

1. Is this the complete email from Pres. Schneider or has it been edited?
2. Did he send it to you personally?
3. Did he see the email from Denis Hankinson that was posted by sonshineonme?

NEXT EMAIL

>

> Blessings.

> --Rajmund Dabrowski
> Communication Director
> World Headquarters

While this is certainly along somewhat similar lines to the email that Gregory Matthews received from Rajmund Dabrowski, there are some notable differences. I have bolded the similarities and highlighted in color the great differences between the two:

Dear Brother Matthews

Thank you for your enquiry which I received while traveling in another part of the world. I am still on the road. In reference to your communication, and a comment you are quoting from the Internet chat forums, may I share with you the following:

The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists has received a number of inquiries into the status of Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN) as a supporting ministry of the Church. There has been no change or review of the status of 3ABN as a supporting ministry by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Due to ongoing administrative issues at 3ABN, the General Conference administration has taken a position that until these matters have been addressed that the General Conference personnel not involve 3ABN for new program development and production. This approach does not reflect that the General Conference is taking any particular position in issues which are under the purview of the Board of Directors of 3ABN, which is an independent supporting ministry. The GC's position applies to General Conference personnel.
Blessings.

--Rajmund Dabrowski
Communication Director
Seventh-day Adventist Church
World Headquarters
12501 Old Columbia Pike
<www.adventist.org>
Phone: 301-680-6300
Fax: 301-680-6312
e-mail: dabrowskir@gc.adventist.org

Not quite the clear cut picture your email from Rajmund Dabrowski seems to paint.

Now I have a reply from an AF official. While I was ask not to post the email I can tell you, in essence, what it said.
AF is a totally self supporting ministry and receives no financial support from the GC or Nad. The link with the conference is that some board members are conference ordained ministers or conference employees.
As for the 3abn allegations, it is gossip that people are reading on the internet. Most is untrue and/or taken out of context.

Sorry Steffan, it is hard to trust that you are truly giving the "essence" of what that AF official actually said, especially since the AF Chairman of the Board said the following about the connection between AF and the conference:

Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Amazing Facts

Hi, nice to chat with you. Let me respond with some clarifications to the AF questions you raise.

Amazing Facts is listed in the NAD Yearbook under the Northern California Conference. That makes them an official SDA entity, with ties to NCC — “under the umbrella” of NCC.
Amazing Facts has its own separate board of directors. Thus, the NCC does not directly oversee the ministry. As NCC President, I chair the AF board, as per the AF Bylaws. However, the constituency of AF is technically made up of a majority of NCC members.
As a SDA entity, AF leaders and evangelists are entitled to receive SDA credentials. Currently, those credentials are issued by the Pacific Union Conference, not NCC.
I’m not sure what “certificates” you make reference to. Please clarify.
If AF and 3ABN actually merge, there would be a new constituency and a new board, which would take them out from under the umbrella of the NCC, as I understand it.
There is no direct financial support from NCC to AF. They handle their own payroll, raise their own funds, etc.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me again as needed.

Best wishes,

Jim
--
James E. Pedersen
President
Northern California Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
401 Taylor Blvd.
P.O. Box 23165
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
925-685-4300 x1200
jpedersen@ncc.adventist.org

Then we have the post by Greg M. that says that maybe the statement by Elder Hankinson wasn't accurate due to it's brevity.

So, here you have it from 2 very important people in Leadership that can be named and one from AF that is "in the know." This is not speculation from conference leaders. They have put it in writing.
So where does this leave all of the unnamed sources that are "high up" in leadership that have been quoted by SSOM and several others which paints an opposite picture? Does this mean Elder Schneider and Mr. Dabroski are lying? Or does this mean SSOM is lying? Or could it be that all off these "anonymous high up officials" are not so "high up" afterall and evidently not in the "know" as much as they are credited for.
Let me point out another major issue that has been ignored here. Go to the real and authentic www.3abn.org site and look under 3abn history or just go to this link http://www.3abn.org/pdf/commitment.pdf. Under the resolve issues chapter, The conference plainly states that they will act on or order nothing without first communicating with 3abn and then proceeding to try and resolve any issues that might arrive.
So, if the Conference is issueing orders to avoid 3abn, were they lying in this contract? Or, as mentioned earlier, have some of you gotten your information wrong or are listening to the wrong people? What a surprise!!!!

Would this sentence, taken from Rajmund Dubrowski's email to Gregory Matthews be construed as avoiding 3abn?

"Due to ongoing administrative issues at 3ABN, the General Conference administration has taken a position that until these matters have been addressed that the General Conference personnel not involve 3ABN for new program development and production. "

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Jun 8 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(steffan @ Jun 8 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]198935[/snapback]

June 5, 2007
Dictated May 31, 2007

Don C. Schneider
President

NEXT EMAIL

>

> Blessings.

> --Rajmund Dabrowski
> Communication Director
> World Headquarters

Steffan,

I'd be real interested in your response to the statement made by Brother Dabrowski to Brother Matthews (and posted at the following link), since you seem to have left this one out of your summary:

http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=198809

Dear Brother Matthews

Thank you for your enquiry which I received while traveling in another part of the world. I am still on the road. In reference to your communication, and a comment you are quoting from the Internet chat forums, may I share with you the following:

The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists has received a number of inquiries into the status of Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN) as a supporting ministry of the Church. There has been no change or review of the status of 3ABN as a supporting ministry by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Due to ongoing administrative issues at 3ABN, the General Conference administration has taken a position that until these matters have been addressed that the General Conference personnel not involve 3ABN for new program development and production. This approach does not reflect that the General Conference is taking any particular position in issues which are under the purview of the Board of Directors of 3ABN, which is an independent supporting ministry. The GC's position applies to General Conference personnel.

Blessings.

--Rajmund Dabrowski
Communication Director
Seventh-day Adventist Church
World Headquarters
12501 Old Columbia Pike
<www.adventist.org>
Phone: 301-680-6300
Fax: 301-680-6312
e-mail: dabrowskir@gc.adventist.org

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Are there ongoing administrative issues at 3ABN?? YES........or..........NO
2. If YES, then I rest my case.
3. If NO, woud you say that the Communications Director of the SDA Church is......could it be....are you saying.......that this highly respected individual......might be LYING???? Oh my.
4. OR, could it be that the GC left hand does not know what the GC right hand is doing/saying/typing??? Again, hhhhmmmm......

OK, and here's another question. You say that AF is completely independent of the GC/NAD and receives no support from either. Yet, I read somewhere that AF employees are considered conference employees and received conference benefits. Which is it, or is it both?? Could you help clarify that for me with your "AF official"? I'd appreciate it immensely!!

I also find it noteworthy that the emails posted from Brother Dabrowski include complete contact information for the writer, yet the email from Brother Schneider does not. Hhhmmm.... Hhhhmmm........ Hhhhmmm...........

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jun 8 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]198946[/snapback]

Steffan,
Thank you for posting this email. I have a few questions about it:

1. Is this the complete email from Pres. Schneider or has it been edited?
2. Did he send it to you personally?
3. Did he see the email from Denis Hankinson that was posted by sonshineonme?

While this is certainly along somewhat similar lines to the email that Gregory Matthews received from Rajmund Dabrowski, there are some notable differences. I have bolded the similarities and highlighted in color the great differences between the two:
Not quite the clear cut picture your email from Rajmund Dabrowski seems to paint.

Sorry Steffan, it is hard to trust that you are truly giving the "essence" of what that AF official actually said, especially since the AF Chairman of the Board said the following about the connection between AF and the conference:
Would this sentence, taken from Rajmund Dubrowski's email to Gregory Matthews be construed as avoiding 3abn?

"Due to ongoing administrative issues at 3ABN, the General Conference administration has taken a position that until these matters have been addressed that the General Conference personnel not involve 3ABN for new program development and production. "

Excellent post, PB!! We must have shared the same page, at the same time!!! It appears that our friend Steffan is a bit selective in the emails he chooses to quote...BTJM...

This post has been edited by Snoopy: Jun 8 2007, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post
Whtz Happenin
post Jun 8 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE(steffan @ Jun 8 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]198935[/snapback]

Thanks Steffan for pointing this document out.

Thoughts:

- This document is ten years old. It lists a lady by the name of Linda Shelton as Vice President. I searched the entire 3ABN website and cannot find this name anywhere else. One would think that this agreement would have been updated since 1997, especially since it seems that this lady has not been involved with 3ABN very much, if at all.

- I read the history page. http://www.3abn.org/3abn_history.cfm
I find it interesting that in the first three paragraphs God is included 4 times, but then God is not listed anymore. The most popular word seems to be "Shelton" and this word is listed 15 times. This "Shelton" sure has been able to do a lot it seems and based on the history write up, most of it by himself. The only family member mentioned is a daughter that is mentioned early on.

Ok, enough of the funny talk... Steffan, now that you have pointed this document out, do you really think if it is possible to have this ten year old document updated, it would still be on the website?

Now that you have pointed this document out to us, it brings up the question of why it is still on the website since it is obvious that every other reference to Linda Shelton has been removed.

1. Either no one has thought to remove it?

2. Or is it that this document is actually more important to Danny, even though it has Linda's name on it, than trying to get an updated one.

What are your thoughts Steffan? Do you think the GC would sign this commitment again today?

I was curious if this document has been discussed. The search found two places that "Joint Declaration" is discussed:

1. A post by tall73 located in the "3abn, Left Out" thread at:
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=158375

This post is followed by a discussion on this document.

2. A post by watchbird in the "3ABN crucial documents, some context" at:

http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=159770

I believe it would be helpful for others to review these two threads.

Thanks Steffan. Your post was very enlightening.

This post has been edited by Whtz Happenin: Jun 8 2007, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 8 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #11

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Well, if at all possible, that document will be gone ASAP. They removed all they could think of and those they missed they removed as they were brought to their attention.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jun 8 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #12

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

Dateline: Brindisi, Italy
Date: 64 AD

Personally, we think Nero plays the violin beautifully, and we need to go about our business of filling the world with inspiring music rather than spreading ugly rumors about smoke and fire.

General Conference Fire Inspectors
12501 Appian Way
Brindisi, Italy

P.S. We have temporarily suspended our visits to Rome due to ongoing administrative issues there. This policy applies to General Conference personnel.

roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jun 8 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #13

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Panama_Pete,

You have such a way with words!

rofl1.gif

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jun 8 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 8 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]198957[/snapback]

Personally, we think Nero plays the violin beautifully, and we need to go about our business of filling the world with inspiring music rather than spreading ugly rumors about smoke and fire.

12501 Appian Way
Brindisi, Italy

P.S. We have temporarily suspended our visits to Rome due to ongoing administrative issues there. This policy applies to General Conference personnel.

roflmao.gif

Wonderful, Pete! smile.gif

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 8 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #15

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

rofl1.gif Stop!!! roflmao.gif
QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 8 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]198957[/snapback]

12501 Appian Way
Brindisi, Italy

roflmao.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:12 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church