Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14083&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:11:02 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Is Asi?, Is ASI connected to the SDA Church?
Observer
post Jul 7 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #1

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,664

It might be of interest to see how many of the ASI leaders are formally involved in denominational activities in other areas. Those interested might want to check to see. Here are the listed leaders:

ASI Board Members
President - Debbie Young
Secretary/Treasurer - Ron Christman
General Vice President - Chester Clark III
Vice Presidents - Viorel Catarama, Chip Doss, Leasa Hodges, Doreen Schmidt, Barbara Taylor
NAD appointees - Juan Prestol, Don Schneider, Halvard Thomsen
Union ASI Secretary - Norm Clam
Conference ASI Secretary - Duane McKey
Union ASI Chapter Presidents - Lorayne Barton, Chester Clark Jr., Gayle Clark, Steve Dickman, Sharon Erickson, Elizabeth Gonsalves-Remington, Sandy Miller, Dan Ross
Members at large - Ellsworth McKee, Tom Zapara
Immediate past president - Denzil McNeilus
President, Missions Inc. - Harold Lance

ASI Missions Inc.
President - Harold Lance
NAD appointees - Juan Prestol, Don Schneider, Halvard Thomsen
Members - Terry Anderson, Ron Christman, Dan Houghton, Andre Jubert, MD, Ellsworth McKee, Denzil McNeilus, Garwin McNeilus, Jane Sines, Stan Smith, Debbie Young

Chapter Leadership
Atlantic Union Chapter
President - Elizabeth Gonsalves-Remington
Union Sec./Treasurer - Carlyle Simmons
VP for Communication - Millicent Corbett
VP for Recruitment - Tom Murray

Canadian Union Chapter
Executive Secretary - Barry Bussey

Columbia Union Chapter
President - Gayle Clark
Assistant to the President - Gwendolyn Herron
General Vice President - Dirci Marquart
Union Secretary - Seth Bardu
VP for Finance - Robert Wallace
VP for Programming - Joy Charles
VP for Evangelism - Ralph Rhyne
VP for Recruitment - Grace Masaka
VP for Communication - Carol Bearce
VP for Projects/Events - Alonzo Betha

Lake Union Chapter
President - Sandy Miller
General Vice President - Mark LaVanture
VP for Finance - Tom Morrissey
Union Secretary - Carmelo Mercado
VP for Membership and Recruitment - Don Starlin
VP for Evangelism - Darry Campbell
VP for Communication - Mona Sarcona
VPs for Projects/Events - Fred Miller, Chuck Randall

Mid-America Union Chapter
President - Sharon Erickson
General Vice President - George McNeilus
Union Secretary - Elaine Hagele
VP for Finance - Colleen Anderson
VP for Evangelism - Vern Erickson
VP for Recruitment - Joyce Pinke
VP for Projects/Events - Celeste Lee

North Pacific Union Chapter
President - Dan Ross
General Vice President - Christy Reich
Union Secretary - Norm Klam
Secretary - Janet Evert
VP for Finance - Ron Oliver
Union Secretary/Treasurer - Norm Klam
VP for Communication - Linda Barton
VP for Evangelism - Ted Evert
VP for Recruitment - Mark Black

Pacific Union Chapter
President - Dr. Lorayne Barton
Secretary - Ed Fargusson
Union Secretary - Ricardo Graham
VP for Finance - Alberto Bagingito
VP for Evangelism - Steve Rinker
VP for Recruitment - Dr. Leo Herber
VP for Communication - Pat Arrabito
Program Chairperson - Russ Lorenz; Asst. Gail Reitz

Southern Union Chapter
President - Steve Dickman
General Vice President - Brenda Palmer
General Vice President - Calvin Thrash
Union Secretary - Tom Evans
VP for Communication - Joy Biegel
VP for Evangelism - Ben Kochenower
VP for Finance - Brent Palmer
VP for Recruitment - Dale Bass

Southwestern Union Chapter
President - Dr. Chester V. Clark, Jr.
General Vice President - Neil Nedley
Union Secretary - John Mathews
VP for Evangelism - Jaime Espinal
VP for Recruitment - Cyril Miller

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 7 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #2

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

I know a few of the people on that list. Also, I have seen those same people on 3abn. Of the ones I know, they would be all 3abn supporters, big time, without question.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jul 7 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #3

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

I can't see any harm in folks asking one of them, as opportunity arises, what they think about 3ABN's claim in Federal Court that 3ABN is non-denominational, preaching a non-denominational message, and is not affiliated with ASI or the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Just perhaps, you might get the same reaction I did.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 7 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #4

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Ok, so shoot me, but I am going to ask, even though it proves that I am slow or just not paying attention. So, now htat we know who, what and why exactly is ASI? What is their purpose? At this point they sound like one of those pseudo-religious{new age) kind of groups decribed in Frank Perretti books. Can somebody help me out? Reader's Digest version please?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jul 7 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #5

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

http://www.asiministries.org/article.php?i...4042fecf21e4d67
This is the ASI Missions Link.

In a post in another thread, I accidentally called ASI Missions, ASI Ministries. I knew better, but boo boo'd. I have corrected it now. This is a good link and you can go other places on their site.

Thanks, Gregory, for the list.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jul 7 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #6

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 7 2007, 06:59 PM) *
OK, so shoot me, but I am going to ask, even though it proves that I am slow or just not paying attention. So, now that we know who, what and why exactly is ASI? What is their purpose? At this point they sound like one of those pseudo-religious{new age) kind of groups described in Frank Peretti books. Can somebody help me out? Reader's Digest version please?

Di;

Are you asking "What is ASI?"

Or are you asking "What is ASI Missions?" They are completely different. Yeah, I was confused too. Take a hard look at the ASI MISSIONS BOARD. Those are the ones I am concerned about.

/

Bob;

What answer did you get when you asked ASI Missions about the comment in the Lawsuit. Oops! I am assuming you asked ASI Missions. Maybe you asked ASI. Either way, what answer did you get?

Can you explain to Di the differences between ASI and ASI Missions, Inc. I believe you are well informed in this area.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jul 7 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #7

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jul 7 2007, 06:42 PM) *
I can't see any harm in folks asking one of them, as opportunity arises, what they think about 3ABN's claim in Federal Court that 3ABN is non-denominational, preaching a non-denominational message, and is not affiliated with ASI or the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Just perhaps, you might get the same reaction I did.

And don't you think it is a bit ironic that they express these "non-denominational" and "unique message" statements in the very same lawsuit where they say you're the one who is off the mark in your perceptions?

Am I expected to believe the rest of what they have to say in their lawsuit after reading this?

Sorry, I forgot I was never supposed to read it in the first place.

I think these "non-denominational" statements were supposed to be reduced to ashes and thrown off the top of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota, after the case was concluded. (In time, the Mississippi River, which flows beneath the bridge, takes those ashes out to sea, with those ashes never seen or heard from again.)

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: Jul 7 2007, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jul 7 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

I know some of those people in the list.( just my two pennies.)

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jul 7 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #9

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fran @ Jul 7 2007, 07:26 PM) *
What answer did you get when you asked ASI Missions about the comment in the Lawsuit. Oops! I am assuming you asked ASI Missions. Maybe you asked ASI. Either way, what answer did you get?

Can you explain to Di the differences between ASI and ASI Missions, Inc. I believe you are well informed in this area.

1) I spoke with someone on the above list, and they definitely saw problems with the lawsuit's claims about no affilation and being non-denominational.

2) ASI Missions, Inc., according to my understanding, is the legal entity that doles out the money. ASI is not the entity that doles out the money.

The members of the ASI Executive Commitee are the members of the corporation called ASI Missions, and thus it is the ASI Executive Commitee that selects the ASI Missions, Inc. board.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jul 7 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #10

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jul 7 2007, 08:00 PM) *
And don't you think it is a bit ironic that they express these "non-denominational" and "unique message" statements in the very same lawsuit where they say you're the one who is off the mark in your perceptions?

Am I expected to believe the rest of what they have to say in their lawsuit after reading this?

Sorry, I forgot I was never supposed to read it in the first place.

I think these "non-denominational" statements were supposed to be reduced to ashes and thrown off the top of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota, after the case was concluded. (In time, the Mississippi River, which flows beneath the bridge, takes those ashes out to sea, with those ashes never seen or heard from again.)

Never seen or heard from again, like Wycliffe's bones?

I would say that you are expected to not believe the rest of what they say unless they can support their claims with some sort of shred of evidence.

Notice how page 13 of the lawsuit makes the claim that Gailon and I have published: "f. Danny Shelton laundered money through 3ABN donations to Cherie Peters, in order to make payments that had been expressly prohibited by the 3ABN Board of directors." Now since the lawsuit makes no complaints about email, only about postings on forums and Save3ABN.com, they will have a hard time proving that one, since neither Gailon nor I was the one who published that one.

If you want to read the post, see http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?a...&pid=174130. Gregory Matthews was the one who posted it, not Gailon or myself.

And I know for a fact that there is a source who has made some sort of claim along those lines. Now if reporters can't report what sources tell them in America anymore, are we returning to the days of the Middle Ages? And is this lawsuit paving the way?

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 8 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 7 2007, 03:59 PM) *
Ok, so shoot me, but I am going to ask, even though it proves that I am slow or just not paying attention. So, now htat we know who, what and why exactly is ASI? What is their purpose? At this point they sound like one of those pseudo-religious{new age) kind of groups decribed in Frank Perretti books. Can somebody help me out? Reader's Digest version please?

ASI is sort of like an SDA businessman's club in which they meet once a year (first week in
August) in some attractive and interesting location from Wednesday evening to Saturday night to have meetings and seminars based loosely on their motto--Sharing Christ in the Marketplace. On Saturday evening they have a dinner and program and raise money which is then parcelled out to various deserving ministries--hence ASI Missions. Many of the businessmen bring their families and kids and then stay the next week for their family vacation. One must be a self-employed businessperson or someone in an executive position (and an SDA in good standing) to become a member.

The organization started out many years ago as an association of self-supporting ministries but then morphed into the self-employed businessman's association. The various institutional church leaders who are associated with ASI are there as liasons between ASI and the SDA church, since church employees cannot, by definition, belong to ASI.

When I belonged to ASI some years ago, I attended meetings, in Calgary, Hawaii, Denver, and Palm Springs. I found the meetings to be very interesting and inspirational since many SDA businessmen are interested in spreading the gospel, but without some of the religious institutional bias that some ASI members believe is found in SDA church leadership.

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jul 8 2007, 10:06 AM

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jul 8 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

My husband was in business for himself. We asked about joining ASI at that time and found out that we did not have enough employees. The business was just my husband with our sons working for him during summer vacations and school breaks. Then we needed more employees but the urge to join had passed.

He got sick and his health went downhill for several years. He downsized the business and worked less and less. He finally had to retire on disability.

I remember thinking we would feel very out of place with all those moneyed people. We certainly could have never kept up because we never did get rich just gave our sons good educations so they could do better than us.

This post has been edited by lurker: Jul 8 2007, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jul 8 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #13

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jul 7 2007, 09:31 PM) *
Never seen or heard from again, like Wycliffe's bones?

I would say that you are expected to not believe the rest of what they say unless they can support their claims with some sort of shred of evidence.

Notice how page 13 of the lawsuit makes the claim that Gailon and I have published: "f. Danny Shelton laundered money through 3ABN donations to Cherie Peters, in order to make payments that had been expressly prohibited by the 3ABN Board of directors." Now since the lawsuit makes no complaints about email, only about postings on forums and Save3ABN.com, they will have a hard time proving that one, since neither Gailon nor I was the one who published that one.

If you want to read the post, see http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?a...&pid=174130. Gregory Matthews was the one who posted it, not Gailon or myself.

And I know for a fact that there is a source who has made some sort of claim along those lines. Now if reporters can't report what sources tell them in America anymore, are we returning to the days of the Middle Ages? And is this lawsuit paving the way?

Bob,

This is a good thing, right? Won't you now be able to check this out? dunno.gif

Maybe it is just too early for me to be thinking! roflmao.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post Jul 8 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(lurker @ Jul 8 2007, 12:07 PM) *
My husband was in business for himself. We asked about joining ASI at that time and found out that we did not have enough employees. The business was just my husband with our sons working for him during summer vacations and school breaks. Then we needed more employees but the urge to join had passed.

He got sick and his health went downhill for several years. He downsized the business and worked less and less. He finally had to retire on disability.

I remember thinking we would feel very out of place with all those moneyed people. We certainly could have never kept up because we never did get rich just gave our sons good educations so they could do better than us.

Lurker, I don't know any ASI members and I'm sure they are fine Christian gentlemen, but from the description, it sounds dreadfully elitist. It almost sounds like an Adventist version of the Bohemian Club.
If you had told them that your little business is just a hobby but you have a very LARGE amount of money, would they have treated you differently?.

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jul 8 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

I don't think they meant to be elitist. Those were the rules and we couldn't travel to their meetings nor give big bucks to help the causes but I am glad for the work they do. Some of them are very good projects and I wish we could have helped.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:11 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church