Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14228&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:11:21 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Giving Down At Amazing Facts
maggiecttr
post Jul 17 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,067

I received a form letter today from Amazing Facts. It's similar to those I receive frequently; this time, it was about the Here We Stand revival series, etc. Anyway, the following caught my eye:
"I'm sorry to say that giving to Amazing Facts has been down recently...." It goes on to say this is likely due to the price of gas, medicine, and food.

Hmmm...I know I haven't given like I used to since the announcement of the merger.

Maggie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 17 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(maggiecttr @ Jul 17 2007, 01:50 PM) *
I received a form letter today from Amazing Facts. It's similar to those I receive frequently; this time, it was about the Here We Stand revival series, etc. Anyway, the following caught my eye:
"I'm sorry to say that giving to Amazing Facts has been down recently...." It goes on to say this is likely due to the price of gas, medicine, and food.

Hmmm...I know I haven't given like I used to since the announcement of the merger.

Maggie

Nor I nor my family and friends.

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jul 17 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

Well, of course BSDA had nothing to do with AFM donations being down. biggrin.gif

Wonder if we will be getting more form letters from other ministries saying the same thing?
Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 17 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Jul 17 2007, 12:12 PM) *
Well, of course BSDA had nothing to do with AFM donations being down.

Of note to me was the fact that the "Here We Stand" series is being promoted on both the Amazing Facts website and the 3abn website as a joint effort.

Perhaps at some point Doug Batchelor will be less busy traveling and speaking and will be able to relax, take some time, and learn a little about the present problems going on. Maybe at that point his mother-in-law or whoever is controlling his input from the SDA public won't have to take so much responsibility.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 17 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #5

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

One of our churches wanted to invite him--this was before the "merger" (or whatever) was announced. I was made responsible for the contact, and I procrastinated. Then word of the merger came out ... so I'll be procrastinating awhile longer.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jul 17 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #6

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jul 18 2007, 12:51 AM) *
One of our churches wanted to invite him--this was before the "merger" (or whatever) was announced. I was made responsible for the contact, and I procrastinated. Then word of the merger came out ... so I'll be procrastinating awhile longer.

res
Another Independent Ministry leader stated they had once invited Doug Batchelor to speak at their "camp meeting." DB had refused because the expected audience was too small for him. So you had better be certain of a huge crowd before breaking your procrastination.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 17 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #7

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

Is this documented?

In any case I'm sure that DB gets invited to speak many times every weekend. Given multiple invites would it generally make sense for him to go with the smaller speaking engagements?

Richard

QUOTE(Johann @ Jul 17 2007, 07:15 PM) *
res
Another Independent Ministry leader stated they had once invited Doug Batchelor to speak at their "camp meeting." DB had refused because the expected audience was too small for him. So you had better be certain of a huge crowd before breaking your procrastination.

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 18 2007, 04:58 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jul 17 2007, 02:25 PM) *
Of note to me was the fact that the "Here We Stand" series is being promoted on both the Amazing Facts website and the 3abn website as a joint effort.

Perhaps at some point Doug Batchelor will be less busy traveling and speaking and will be able to relax, take some time, and learn a little about the present problems going on. Maybe at that point his mother-in-law or whoever is controlling his input from the SDA public won't have to take so much responsibility.

When I called AF I was told he or they "do not have the time to read and check out all that is on save3abn". I guess the word is if "DS says it, I believe it, that settles it for me".

I wish it weren't so. sadwalk.gif

+Quote Post
mikell
post Jul 18 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jul 18 2007, 04:58 AM) *
When I called AF I was told he or they "do not have the time to read and check out all that is on save3abn". I guess the word is if "DS says it, I believe it, that settles it for me".

I wish it weren't so. sadwalk.gif

SAD, very sad, sad.gif

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Jul 18 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #10

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 17 2007, 07:24 PM) *
In any case I'm sure that DB gets invited to speak many times every weekend. Given multiple invites would it generally make sense for him to go with the smaller speaking engagements?

Richard

By this thinking, Phillip should never have gone out to meet the Ethipian eunuch in Acts chapter 8...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Chez
post Jul 18 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,417

QUOTE(Johann @ Jul 17 2007, 06:15 PM) *
res

I remember a few years ago that a group of people invited DB to their church and he was to speak at a public university. His secretary asked questions about the proposed size of the audience and implied that he couldn't speak to a small audience. Later, I asked DB if he had a minimum audience capacity or attendance number. He said that he didn't; however, I have never heard of him speaking to a small group of people. It doesn't mean that he hasn't, but he seems to carefully pick and choose his audience, which is usually quite large.

+Quote Post
mikell
post Jul 18 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(Chez @ Jul 18 2007, 09:17 AM) *
I remember a few years ago that a group of people invited DB to their church and he was to speak at a public university. His secretary asked questions about the proposed size of the audience and implied that he couldn't speak to a small audience. Later, I asked DB if he had a minimum audience capacity or attendance number. He said that he didn't; however, I have never heard of him speaking to a small group of people. It doesn't mean that he hasn't, but he seems to carefully pick and choose his audience, which is usually quite large.

Did Jesus speak only to large numbers? True, He spoke to a large group on the Mount, but did not Christ also spoke to smaller groups of people, such as His 12 Disciples? Could it be, at times speaking to small groups can magnify the message greater throughout the world, then speaking to large ones?

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jul 18 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #13

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

Is it possible DB’s concern for a “larger” crowd is that the greater the numbers the greater the chance there will be folks who accept the message? That should not matter IMO but some folks have funny ideas. dunno.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 18 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #14

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

In DB's defense, his time is limited ... he can't take every engagement he's offered. Perhaps size is a filter?

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 18 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #15

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

Never said it was right, just that it makes logical sense, especially from a monetary point of view.

Richard

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Jul 18 2007, 11:09 AM) *
By this thinking, Phillip should never have gone out to meet the Ethipian eunuch in Acts chapter 8...

In His service,
Mr. J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:11 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church