Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14965&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:04:26 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The General Conference Afraid Of Blacksda?
calvin
post Aug 20 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #16

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 20 2007, 01:37 PM) *
Let us not get paranoid here.

Calvin is likely to be granted a liacense to use the General Conference trademarks.

The Office of General Council wants to know that Calvin is not profiting, or otherwise using BSDA for commercial purposes. As part of that, they want Calvin to assure them that any "banner advertisements" that may appear on this website are not as a result of him "renting" BSDA Space to their owners.

Once Calvin assures the Office of General Council that he is not using their trademarks in a commercial manner, they can be expected to grant him a license to use them.

I don’t think so. When I first received a letter notifying me that BSDA was in violation or GC’s trademark license policy in October, 2006 there were no banner ads or solicitation for donations here. I acted in good faith that they would honor their word and submitted all the requirements for the license, including a letter of recommendation from my Conference President in January 2007. I wait six months and didn’t heard a word from until 2 weeks after I start running banner ads in July, 2007 notifying me my license has been denied. They had no intentions of granting a license, but where waiting dormant for some reason to deny the license, it took them 6 months. This is what I adamantly believe.

I sincerely thought that it would be a good thing to have some type of endorsement for my ministry (that’s right I do consider BSDA a ministry) from the church that I love and spent my entire life of 55 years promoting. But not now, I don’t want any license, if I could I would withdrawal the application. For them to deny me the right to provide a means for contributors to donate funds with a PayPal button is something that I would never agree too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 20 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

Could the GC be under pressure to curb the activities of Blacksda?

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 20 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #18

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(calvin @ Aug 20 2007, 12:36 PM) *
I don’t think so. When I first received a letter notifying me that BSDA was in violation or GC’s trademark license policy in October, 2006 there were no banner ads or solicitation for donations here. I acted in good faith that they would honor their word and submitted all the requirements for the license, including a letter of recommendation from my Conference President in January 2007. I wait six months and didn’t heard a word from until 2 weeks after I start running banner ads in July, 2007 notifying me my license has been denied. They had no intentions of granting a license, but where waiting dormant for some reason to deny the license, it took them 6 months. This is what I adamantly believe.

I sincerely thought that it would be a good thing to have some type of endorsement for my ministry (that’s right I do consider BSDA a ministry) from the church that I love and spent my entire life of 55 years promoting. But not now, I don’t want any license, if I could I would withdrawal the application. For them to deny me the right to provide a means for contributors to donate funds with a PayPal button is something that I would never agree too.

Calvin,

I believe you will find that most members here not only agree that BSDA is an important ministry but that we are also willing to stand firmly with you on your decision not to bow to any inappropriate controls.

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Aug 20 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(Johann @ Aug 20 2007, 12:54 PM) *
Could the GC be under pressure to curb the activities of Blacksda?

What!!?
Curtail all this evil surmising, lies and inuendos?

Hey we need our gossip fix!! (deliberately omitting mentioning all those falsified documents and doctored information obtained via email and/or snailmail and websites or even made up gossip from unscrupulous magazines and tabloids )

nonono.gif

hug.gif my BSDA fix and family

Rosyroi (looking for my tongue in cheek emoticon)

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 20 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 20 2007, 11:37 AM) *
Let us not get paranoid here.

Calvin is likely to be granted a license to use the General Conference trademarks.

The Office of General Council wants to know that Calvin is not profiting, or otherwise using BSDA for commercial purposes. As part of that, they want Calvin to assure them that any "banner advertisements" that may appear on this website are not as a result of him "renting" BSDA Space to their owners.

Once Calvin assures the Office of General Council that he is not using their trademarks in a commercial manner, they can be expected to grant him a license to use them.

As Calvin has indicated above, they probably are not going to do that, unless they change their minds due to public pressure--and I agree with Calvin that I would not want to accept such a license either.

However, why are they talking about "their trademarks" when we have not found any evidence that "SDA" is legally trademarked by the Seventh-day Adventist church?

This post has been edited by Artiste: Aug 20 2007, 02:22 PM

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Aug 20 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

The contention is that SDA is a common law mark. There are common law marks and registered trademarks. SDA is not a registered trademark, but it is said to be a common law mark.

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 20 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Pickle @ Aug 20 2007, 01:29 PM) *
The contention is that SDA is a common law mark. There are common law marks and registered trademarks. SDA is not a registered trademark, but it is said to be a common law mark.

In that case, the "smalldeadanimals.com" association might object to the Seventh-day Adventist church using their "SDA" designation.

+Quote Post
inga
post Aug 20 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(jodi @ Aug 19 2007, 08:22 PM) *
"Adventist" conveys one of the central beliefs of the church, that Jesus is coming again soon. "SDA" does not. "SDA" can be confused with other entities. The Seventh-day Adventist church is a worldwide entity, commnunicating a message in more than 800 languages. In many of those languages, the initials are different, leading to confusion....The Seventh-day Adventist official website states that the preferred shortening of Seventh-day Adventist is to the word "Adventist" for all official or public communication. They state, "the Church's identity should always be clear and accessible." unquote.

I, for one, figure this is a very positive move. The long list of organizations tied to the "SDA" acronym is an excellent illustration of the reason to switch from 'SDA' to 'Adventist.'

Having said that, I'm sure that our GC could not win a law suit against anyone using the "SDA" acronym or "Adventist" in their name. There is an Adventist church as old as the Seventh-day Adventist church. It is not Sabbath-keeping and has remained samll in comparison with our church.

A legal precedent (law suit against SDAKinship) ensures that the GC could not win such a suit.

I'm sorry to see a lawyer hired by the GC using such unethical bluffing techniques to bring organizations into line.

+Quote Post
inga
post Aug 20 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #24

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(calvin @ Aug 20 2007, 02:36 PM) *

Blessings on you, Calvin!!

It is to refreshing and and encouraging to meet men who act on principle -- whether or not I always agree with the principle. (In this case I do.)

I would rather deal with someone who is honest in heart and disagrees with me than with someone who appears to agree with me, but who doesn't appear to be a person of principle.

May God bless you and your family, Calvin, and may BlackSDA be used by God!

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 20 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(inga @ Aug 20 2007, 03:34 PM) *

It is to refreshing and and encouraging to meet men who act on principle -- whether or not I always agree with the principle. (In this case I do.)

I would rather deal with someone who is honest in heart and disagrees with me than with someone who appears to agree with me, but who doesn't appear to be a person of principle.

Thank you, Inga, for those sentiments!

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 20 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #26

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(inga @ Aug 20 2007, 03:20 PM) *
I, for one, figure this is a very positive move. The long list of organizations tied to the "SDA" acronym is an excellent illustration of the reason to switch from 'SDA' to 'Adventist.'

Having said that, I'm sure that our GC could not win a law suit against anyone using the "SDA" acronym or "Adventist" in their name. There is an Adventist church as old as the Seventh-day Adventist church. It is not Sabbath-keeping and has remained samll in comparison with our church.

A legal precedent (law suit against SDAKinship) ensures that the GC could not win such a suit.

I'm sorry to see a lawyer hired by the GC using such unethical bluffing techniques to bring organizations into line.

And yet, as has been discussed in this thread or one up in Calvin's Corner, the GC has spent millions that could have been spent on evangelism or other worthy programs to take fellow believers to court in order to protect these three little letters from being "misused".

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Aug 21 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(inga @ Aug 20 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Amen...we stand with you Calvin!

+Quote Post
judibug60
post Aug 21 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,245

As a Historic Adventist believer, I see all this as a fulfillment of Phrophecy. Ellen White never agreed with or endorsed A one seated leadership of the GC in the beginning, as even stated her grief at the 1st GC session of the non compliance to what she was told they would do...the seat would be rotated....I believe this mess today to be the enevitable end to what she feared many yrs ago it would come down to.
We all have to see these happenings as the last day events unfolding, and I for one, pray continually for the Lords guidance in my everday life, to strive to have the Christ Like Character we MUST have to ever get off this earth....As that is sooner than we all know.

We must concentrate on that and see all these things going on within our denomination, as just what they are...Fulfillment of Prophecy.........

This post has been edited by judibug60: Aug 21 2007, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Aug 21 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #29

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

welcome(1).gif judibug60! Look forward to dialogging with you in the Theology section ...

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
mikell
post Aug 21 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(calvin @ Aug 20 2007, 01:36 PM) *
I don't think so. When I first received a letter notifying me that BSDA was in violation or GC's trademark license policy in October, 2006 there were no banner ads or solicitation for donations here. I acted in good faith that they would honor their word and submitted all the requirements for the license, including a letter of recommendation from my Conference President in January 2007. I wait six months and didn't heard a word from until 2 weeks after I start running banner ads in July, 2007 notifying me my license has been denied. They had no intentions of granting a license, but where waiting dormant for some reason to deny the license, it took them 6 months. This is what I adamantly believe.

I sincerely thought that it would be a good thing to have some type of endorsement for my ministry (that's right I do consider BSDA a ministry) from the church that I love and spent my entire life of 55 years promoting. But not now, I don't want any license, if I could I would withdrawal the application. For them to deny me the right to provide a means for contributors to donate funds with a PayPal button is something that I would never agree too.

Calvin, when the GC stated a violation to the tradmark, did they offer a case history court ruling to back them up on infringement? What I mean is, not only there are multitudes of others using the "SDA's" in their names on Google, but when Toy's R US sued a company who used, the "R US" lettering, they lost. On Google we see many companies using "R US" in their logo. What case can the GC point to for you, to imply threat? Sounds like the GC is trying to intimidate you, and if that is the case, but why would they? I am a STRONG SDA supporter of the GC, but this seems to me out of line on their part and it deeply concerns me. I would like to know why that are doing this to you???

This post has been edited by mikell: Aug 22 2007, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:04 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church