Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15002&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:05:50 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Larry Romrell: Adventist Connections?
watchbird
post Aug 21 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Aug 21 2007, 10:14 PM) *
So then ... the Historic Adventist Church and the Seventh-day Adventist Church are two different denominations. The Historic Adventist Church apparently split off from the latter in the early 1990s over issues like ... end-time perfectionism.

If 3ABN is truly non-denominational, it is no problem that they have an Historic Adventist (if that is what he is, and it sure looks that way to me) on the Board. However, since Historic Adventists are considered by the Seventh-day Adventist Church to be an antagonistic group, if that is the way 3ABN wants to head (again, apparently), they should not expect a welcome at SDA churches--and frankly shouldn't be offered one.

Thank you, SoulEspresso, for bringing us at least partway back from the "Land of Diversion".

The thread title question has to do with Larry Romrell and his "Adventist Connections". It also referred back to the questions as to whether Romrell was an Adventist or not. What we have learned so far is that the Historic Adventist Church is a whole different organization from the Seventh-day Adventist Church.... which is the church who signed a world-wide supportive agreement with 3abn a few years back.

Is there anything in this knowledge that will help us understand possible or probably reasons why Larry Romrell was tapped on the shoulder and invited to serve on the 3abn board?

But there is another question that has not really been asked... which I think needs to be answered if we are going to understand the significance of this information for both 3abn viewers and avoiders.... is this.....

What does Historic Adventist mean to others who may have never even heard that there is such as thing as a denomination called the Historic Adventist Church that is separate from the Seventh-day Adventist church?

What would various ones here, for example, think if someone were to speak up and say, I am a member of the Historic Adventist Church? Are there, perhaps, any here who WOULD say that? If so, then what do YOU mean when you say that?

..................... TVsnack.gif...................

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillowRun
post Aug 21 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,191

QUOTE(panther @ Aug 21 2007, 09:30 PM) *
Because Mr. Romrell gave money to build a church doesn't mean he is not an SDA. My husband is an SDA in good and regular standing, an Elder in our Church and he gave a donation to Steps to Life.

Also I remember being taught in one of our Colleges that Christ didn't come during Paul's day because the Church itself was not ready.

Lee

When I was a new convert to SDAism, I ended up entangled in the Historic Adventist movement. From my experience, it seems they like those lines blurred as it is easier to fool new converts like myself. I had no idea what happened until I left SDAism completely in 1997. Historic Adventism, in my opinion, is cult like. It really messes with your head. I watched a friend die from cervical cancer during this because she was in the same quandry I was. They had her convinced that she was messing with her salvation if she didn't follow natural remedies...and she died because of it. I am just now finding my way back to Christ and it's taken me a decade to get there. I don't even feel comfortable in my local SDA church because that line is still blurry in my part of the world. I've been to STL and I've listened to Pastor Grosball on more than one occasion...it really was a head trip.

Thank God for Hi Speed Internet as that is how I am churched.

Willow

This post has been edited by WillowRun: Aug 21 2007, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Aug 21 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #18

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Willow, I'm glad you're here and posting. We need people with your perspective here in this "church" at BSDA ...

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Aug 21 2007, 09:05 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 21 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Willow,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt testimony. No one can argue with your personal experience, although I do anticipate some may try.

I am so thankful that you are finding spiritual growth and blessings here on the internet. It has been my experience as well!

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Aug 22 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #20

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,902

QUOTE(Aletheia @ Aug 22 2007, 12:28 AM) *
All I know is, the church militant is Not the church triumphant, and I agree with Jesus, my brethren are they which hear the word of God and do it, no matter where I find them or what they call themselves.

That's my belief and conviction on all this, and don't feel called to argue further with anyone about it.

moving on...
You know that how?

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 22 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #21

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

I will make a few general comments, as I see and understand what is going on:

1) We do not know for certain whether Mr. Romrell is a Seventh-day Adventist, or if he is not.

2) Regardless of whether he is a SDA, he is associated with a Seventh-day Adventist congregation, officially recognized by the Rocky Mountain Conference. In this association, he is not associated with any kind of an off-shoot.

3) It appears that he substantially contributed to the building of a SDA chruch in Africa. Perhaps this congregation has some sort of a relationship with what we in the U.S. call "historic" Adventism? However, I will suggest that we are going beyond what is reasonable in making that association based upon a media article that uses the phrase "historic Advenist." We cannot assume that such a media article comming out of Africa has the same understanding of "historic" that people posting in BSDA have.

4) Further, if he did contribute to a building to be used by what we call "historic" Adventism, so what? I cannot assume that he understood the issues as some people here understand them. While I am not a so-called Historic Adventist, I can only say blessings on him.

5) Regardless of whether or not he is an official member of the SDA Chruch, the person who lives in Colorado, is actively involved with the official SDA Chruch in a supportive manner. We need to recognize him for that.

This post has been edited by Observer: Aug 22 2007, 07:14 AM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Aug 22 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 22 2007, 08:01 AM) *
I will make a few general comments, as I see and understand what is going on:

1) We do not know for certain whether Mr. Romrell is a Seventh-day Adventist, or if he is not.

2) Regardless of whether he is a SDA, he is associated with a Seventh-day Adventist congregation, officially recognized by the Rocky Mountain Conference. In this association, he is not associated with any kind of an off-shoot.

3) It appears that he substantially contributed to the building of a SDA chruch in Africa. Perhaps this congregation has some sort of a relationship with what we in the U.S. call "historic" Adventism? However, I will suggest that we are going beyond what is reasonable in making that association based upon a media article that uses the phrase "historic Advenist." We cannot assume that such a media article comming out of Africa has the same understanding of "historic" that people posting in BSDA have.

4) Further, if he did contribute to a building to be used by what we can "historic" Adventism, so what? I cannot assume that he understood the issues as some people here understand them. While I am not a so-called Historic Adventist, I can only say blessings on him.

5) Regardless of whether or not he is an official member of the SDA Chruch, the person who lives in Colorado, is actively involved with the official SDA Chruch in a supportive manner. We need to recognize him for that.

Thank you Observer, especially for point 5... since this was a question I have been wondering about specifically.

I think, though that before you blur the lines between the Historic Adventist Church and the SDA church... which often uses the descriptive phrase "historic Adventist", it would be well for you to do a little research noting the difference between the hits you get when you put in "the Historic Adventist Church" and just "historic Adventist".

Somewhere in the hits you will find one which describes the Historic Adventist Movement as a whole.... and one item of interest is their advice to those who are part of their Movement, but do not have any Historic Adventist church in their locality... which is to join their local church until such time as a Historic Church forms nearby. Other hits indicate very clearly that The Historic Adventist Church is an entity directly associated with Grosboll's organization.. and that is operates in many different locations around the world.

For now, at least, I'll leave it to others to give more detailed descriptions of what they find on this topic in general and on Romrell's Adventist connections in particular.

..................TVsnack.gif......................

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 22 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Aug 22 2007, 07:07 AM) *
Thank you Observer, especially for point 5... since this was a question I have been wondering about specifically.

I think, though that before you blur the lines between the Historic Adventist Church and the SDA church... which often uses the descriptive phrase "historic Adventist", it would be well for you to do a little research noting the difference between the hits you get when you put in "the Historic Adventist Church" and just "historic Adventist".

Somewhere in the hits you will find one which describes the Historic Adventist Movement as a whole.... and one item of interest is their advice to those who are part of their Movement, but do not have any Historic Adventist church in their locality... which is to join their local church until such time as a Historic Church forms nearby. Other hits indicate very clearly that The Historic Adventist Church is an entity directly associated with Grosboll's organization.. and that is operates in many different locations around the world.

For now, at least, I'll leave it to others to give more detailed descriptions of what they find on this topic in general and on Romrell's Adventist connections in particular.

..................TVsnack.gif......................

WB:

I well understand the point that you make in regard to Historic Adventism. One of my points is that there maybe some danger in reading quite technical aspects of meanings that we associate with words into media accounts comming from another country.

Here is how the questions could be resolved: Contact the Conference office in Africa where the church was built. Ask them to clairfy as to whether or not that congregation is considered an offshoot, or a regular part of the denomination. That should provide people with the answers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Aug 22 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #24

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Aletheia @ Aug 21 2007, 07:28 PM) *
That's my belief and conviction on all this, and don't feel called to argue further with anyone about it.

moving on...

Then you probably would have been better served to keep your opinion to yourself; once you put it forth into the marketplace of ideas, you no longer have unilateral control over what is done with said opinion. BSDA is a *discussion* forum... not a soapbox on a street corner waiting for you to ascend it and pontificate. If you don't want replies or rebuttals to what you say... don't say it.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 22 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #25

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 22 2007, 07:18 AM) *
WB:

I well understand the point that you make in regard to Historic Adventism. One of my points is that there maybe some danger in reading quite technical aspects of meanings that we associate with words into media accounts comming from another country.

Here is how the questions could be resolved: Contact the Conference office in Africa where the church was built. Ask them to clairfy as to whether or not that congregation is considered an offshoot, or a regular part of the denomination. That should provide people with the answers.

FYI:

I have sent the following e-mail to the President of the Ghana Union Conference:

Date: August 22, 2007

To: President, Ghana Union Conference
Elder Samuel Larmie

Subject: Question regarding a SDA congregation in Ghana.

Congregation:
New Life Historic Adventist Church
Pastor: Joseph Class-Peters

1) I have a question in regard to the above congregation. I am confused as to its exact location. Therefore, if you cannot answer my question I would appreciate it if you could forward this message to the appropriate Conference President for a response to me.

2) Recent weeks, this congregation has been mentioned on SDA Internet chat sites. Some questions have been raised in regard to this congregation. I am a SDA minister who lives and works in the United Stated. My style, when questions are raised, is to go to the source and ask. That I what I am doing with you. My intention, once I receive an authorative answer, is to post that answer on the Internet to satisfy the questions.

3) Questions:

Is the above congregation formally associated with the Ghana Union Conference as a recognized SDA congregation?

Is the above congregation, in any way, considered to be an off-shoot of the recognized SDA Church?

Is its pastor, Joseph Class-Peters, or his replacement if that is the case, a recognized SDA clergy person?

What is the amount of money that a Mr. Larry Romrell contributed to the building of that church?

Elder Larmie, thank you very much for considering these questions. They are of some Internet speculation and discussion. I believe that it would be helpful if we could receive an authorative answer.

Gregory Matthews

NOTE: I have sent the above e-mail to two different e-mail addresses for the President of the Ghana Union Conference/Ghana Union Conference.

Each of the two messages has resulted in a reply that has informed me that the message has been delivered, and a reply that the message failed to deliver. As a result, I am uncertain as to whether or not the message has been recieved. However, based upon past practice, messages sent from that e-mail box, which resulted in conflicting messages regarding reciept were actually recieved. My source for the two e-mail addresses was authorative and current.

NOTE # 2: The above e-mail addresses are public, and are not private. Therefore, any of you who wish to contact the Ghana Union Conference may do so as follows:

gucpres@wwwplus.com

guc@adventistsghana.com

Telephone: 233 (21) 223-720

The Mailing address is:

P. O. Box GP 1016
Accra, Ghana

The President is: Samuel A. Larmie

This post has been edited by Observer: Aug 22 2007, 09:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Aug 22 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #26

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Aletheia @ Aug 21 2007, 07:51 PM) *
Now, I'd like to move on...

You keep saying this... and yet you never quite manage to do it...

I suppose if we give in and let you have the last word, peut-etre, then you might actually accomplish this, non?

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post Aug 22 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(watchbird @ Aug 22 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Having had experience with "historic" Adventists, I have a hard time imagining one of them living on his level and working with high-up media and big money corporations of any kind. They are usually the "live simply in the country on very little" types.

Just my observation... blink.gif

shepherdswife

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 22 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #28

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 22 2007, 03:42 PM) *
FYI:

I have sent the following e-mail to the President of the Ghana Union Conference:
NOTE: I have sent the above e-mail to two different e-mail addresses for the President of the Ghana Union Conference/Ghana Union Conference.

Each of the two messages has resulted in a reply that has informed me that the message has been delivered, and a reply that the message failed to deliver. As a result, I am uncertain as to whether or not the message has been recieved. However, based upon past practice, messages sent from that e-mail box, which resulted in conflicting messages regarding reciept were actually recieved. My source for the two e-mail addresses was authorative and current.

NOTE # 2: The above e-mail addresses are public, and are not private. Therefore, any of you who wish to contact the one Ghana Union Conference may do so as follows:

gucpres@wwwplus.com

guc@adventistsghana.com

Telephone: 233 (21) 223-720

The Mailing address is:

P. O. Box GP 1016
Accra, Ghana
The President is: Samuel A. Larmie

I have made numerous attempt to call that and several other phone numbers in Ghana, but the lines have always been busy.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 22 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #29

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Johann @ Aug 22 2007, 10:38 AM) *
I have made numerous attempt to call that and several other phone numbers in Ghana, but the lines have always been busy.

I imagine that the lines would be busy for the Union office.

You might try the fax number if you can fax: 233 (21) 227-024

One additional voice number is (I think?): 233 (21) 248-521

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 22 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Aug 22 2007, 08:34 AM) *
Having had experience with "historic" Adventists, I have a hard time imagining one of them living on his level and working with high-up media and big money corporations of any kind. They are usually the "live simply in the country on very little" types.

Just my observation... blink.gif

shepherdswife

Sometimes opposites attract.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:05 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church