Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16672&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:01:43 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> 10 Commandments Twice Removed - Amazon $0.01, what does it say in a nutshell?
LaurenceD
post Oct 25 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #16

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(SoulEspresso)
Let me see if I can get this right ...Try this from an earlier discussion.

Thanks for the link. I must have read that while I was still lurking. My early concern here at BSDA was with what I perceived as the divorce sham, so I must have overlooked these other issues going on at the time.

Here's what I wonder: if TCTR doesn't esp say anything new to Adventist, and lacks the kind of scholarship that would attract the serious student, and non-adventist are generally turned off by it (as per Amazon reviews), then why have so many copies been sold or given away...and why does 3abn often trumpet it as such a huge success?

Is Shelton and Quinn the extent of 3abn's best scholarship at the compound? This narrow think tank is precisely the problem of independent ministries, in my view. It's no wonder 3abn needs to maintain a separation from the greater organization it feeds off of.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Oct 25 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #17

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Oct 25 2007, 11:24 AM) *
Can someone explain to me how Danny hijacked the ten Commandments weekend? It was not his idea. I first heard about it on TBN. It was the religious right and those affiliated with them, also with some of the most prominent of the chrismatic movement who stated this thing.....website and all. I went there before I heard anything about 3ABN participating. In fact, I initially thought that 3ABN had just joined that group. However, when all was said and done, it looked to be pretty much cancelled by the others with 3ABN solely making a hug progamming project of it, complete with a book hastily thrown together by he and Sehlly. If someone can just explaint hat to me, I realy would appreciate it.

Reminds me of another opportunist from the Missouri-Illinois area, back in the mid to late 1800. There was a certain individual that would hear drift of a train coming through with something valuable on board and he would intercept that train and even walk around preaching to the passengers on board, quoting texts from the bible from memory...just before he robbed them. Very comforting.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Statrei
post Oct 25 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #18

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,919

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 25 2007, 12:38 PM) *
Here's what I wonder: if TCTR doesn't esp say anything new to Adventist, and lacks the kind of scholarship that would attract the serious student, and non-adventist are generally turned off by it (as per Amazon reviews), then why have so many copies been sold or given away...and why does 3abn often trumpet it as such a huge success?
If they sent five boxes to a small country church then it matters not to them that four of the boxes are still unopened in the church basement.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #19

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 25 2007, 10:38 AM) *

It's become clear in this scandal that at least for Danny, 3ABN is about show and success and not particularly about the gospel ... but how long this has been true is anyone's guess. (I know God uses it even today, and up until recently the donors weren't responsible for propagating this attitude. They are now!)

Is Shelton and Quinn the extent of 3abn's best scholarship at the compound? This narrow think tank is precisely the problem of independent ministries, in my view. It's no wonder 3abn needs to maintain a separation from the greater organization it feeds off of.

Well, Ms. Quinn isn't so much a scholar as she is a channeler, apparently. blink.gif

The powers that be in the church have known for years that 3ABN suffers even more than the rest of the denom from theological monoculture--that, in one of my old teacher's words, "All the programming [i.e. theological] decisions are made by one man."

QUOTE(Statrei @ Oct 25 2007, 12:54 PM) *
If they sent five boxes to a small country church then it matters not to them that four of the boxes are still unopened in the church basement.

biggrin.gif

... or how many, after reading a copy, the pastor made "disappear" for fear of embarrassing the church. ninja.gif

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Oct 25 2007, 11:25 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
roxe
post Oct 25 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM) *
Well, Ms. Quinn isn't so much a scholar as she is a channeler, apparently. blink.gif

bold supplied...

thank you!! SE, for giving that description... exactly the word I've been looking for!!
it fits to a T how she describes receiving the instructions she wrote in her book!!

just FYI, I am NOT saying that SQ is a channeler... but what she describes sure sounds like it.

JMO

This post has been edited by roxe: Oct 25 2007, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Oct 25 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Because it was....in royalties for Danny adn Shelly, and they don't have them. As Darius said, what do they care if there are boxes sitting somehwere in church basements and closets. All that counts is that they gave to out...and the authors got paid on that number, not howmany wer actualy read.

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 25 2007, 09:38 AM) *
Thanks for the link. I must have read that while I was still lurking. My early concern here at BSDA was with what I perceived as the divorce sham, so I must have overlooked these other issues going on at the time.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
foofighter
post Oct 25 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,898

QUOTE(roxe @ Oct 25 2007, 08:00 PM) *
bold supplied...

thank you!! SE, for giving that description... exactly the word I've been looking for!!
it fits to a T how she describes receiving the instructions she wrote in her book!!

just FYI, I am NOT saying that SQ is a channeler... but what she describes sure sounds like it.

JMO

roxe,

How does she describe receiving the instructions in the book?

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Oct 26 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(foofighter)
How does she describe receiving the instructions in the book?

Quinn says God used her and that she was able to write her book in only three weeks...inferring that was somehow a remarkable or miraculous accomplishment. From my perspective in reading her other book, I don't think Quinn fits the usual definitions of "channeling" which associated with communications with the dead, or UFOs, or disembodied entities, etc., but she does fit within the definitions of "automatic writing" IMO, which is a related aspect of channeling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Johann
post Oct 26 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 26 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Quinn says God used her and that she was able to write her book in only three weeks...inferring that was somehow a remarkable or miraculous accomplishment. From my perspective in reading her other book, I don't think Quinn fits the usual definitions of "channeling" which associated with communications with the dead, or UFOs, or disembodied entities, etc., but she does fit within the definitions of "automatic writing" IMO, which is a related aspect of channeling.

Do you feel this is on the verge of danger associated with the proclamation of truth?

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Oct 26 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #25

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

See LD, this is exactly what I am talking about, they basically hijacked the concept, and then eve got an inspired book. Folks just put God in anything they please. nonono.gif I would really like to know the real story behind this.

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 26 2007, 09:02 AM) *

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Oct 26 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #26

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Johann)
Do you feel this is on the verge of danger associated with the proclamation of truth?

Not really. Most intelligent folks don't use the concept of "automatic receiving" every time someone writes a book or preaches something they call truth. People who do, know how easy it is to come under the influence of someone like that...drinking in everything they say without question. That's really cultish. As Christians, and esp SDA Christians, we're advised to question everything someone says or writes and place it in our test tube and line it up against a stright edge. That's exactly what we did in Watchbird's thread, "Rhema."

One of the quickest ways of sorting out someone who is making proclamations from themselves only...is when they stop in mid-thought, mid-stream, and say something like, "where did that come from? Thank-you, Jesus." That's exactly what happened with a certain self-styled evangelist on 3abn while I was watching one day. He appeared to take great pleasure in self analysis, in somehow thinking of himself as annointed while preaching.

We know from some of the parables in the bible that when we have a mission we only press onward. We don't stop mid-stream and get hung up with self analysis, or looking back on our selves, or glory in that kind of self awareness. Lot's wife had an experience in looking back and we know what can happen. What do you think the salt represented?

For Quinn to write about how God used her, and how quickly she was able to write her book, is definitely a warning to this soul to be wary. Very wary. But, thankfully there are other ways of deciphering content on it's own merit...aside from who and how they perceive thmeselves. It's just mighty strange for an author, or organization, to be trumpeting the success of their publications...rather than someone else doing it, or some other independent organization. That's a little bit like a politician owning a newspaper and writing an editorial, or having his/her editorial staff write a recommendation for himself as the best candidate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Oct 26 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #27

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi)
See LD, this is exactly what I am talking about, they basically hijacked the concept, and then eve got an inspired book. Folks just put God in anything they please. nonono.gif I would really like to know the real story behind this.

Yep. I'd like to know the real story also. Oh to be in hoty's shoes! Don't you find it strange that the new president is now offering his book for sale too? Books can be a real money-maker. That's the first thing he's appeared to go for. You know, if Jesus had all the royalties off of the NT, there probably woundn't be any need for tithes and offerings, or continually petitioning a TV audience for donations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Oct 26 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

OK?!!

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 26 2007, 12:52 PM) *
Yep. I'd like to know the real story also. Oh to be in hoty's shoes! Don't you find it strange that the new president is now offering his book for sale too? Books can be a real money-maker. That's the first thing he's appeared to go for. You know, if Jesus had all the royalties off of the NT, there probably woundn't be any need for tithes and offerings, or continually petitioning a TV audience for donations.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
pacunurse30
post Oct 26 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,742

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Oct 25 2007, 03:44 PM) *
It's become clear in this scandal that at least for Danny, 3ABN is about show and success and not particularly about the gospel ... but how long this has been true is anyone's guess. (I know God uses it even today, and up until recently the donors weren't responsible for propagating this attitude. They are now!)

The powers that be in the church have known for years that 3ABN suffers even more than the rest of the denom from theological monoculture--that, in one of my old teacher's words, "All the programming [i.e. theological] decisions are made by one man."
biggrin.gif

... or how many, after reading a copy, the pastor made "disappear" for fear of embarrassing the church. ninja.gif

ROFLMBBAO rofl1.gif roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
pacunurse30
post Oct 26 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,742

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Oct 26 2007, 12:02 PM) *

I did not read the book, but judging from some of the things I read on the reviews at Amazon the material was nothing new under the sun! They used the same weak "facts" that have been used for the last 50 years. I find it interesting that someone researched the data given in the book and wasn't able to find substantial info supporting them. Makes you wonder.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:01 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church