Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16672&st=45 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:01:49 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> 10 Commandments Twice Removed - Amazon $0.01, what does it say in a nutshell?
beartrap
post Oct 29 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #46

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659

Expedit esse deos, et, ut expedit, esse putemus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Oct 29 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #47

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Brick Step @ Oct 28 2007, 09:44 PM) *
I also rejoice that the record of my sins was “nailed to the cross” in AD 31. All of Scripture testifies that Jesus took upon Himself our sins, that we might have the gift of His perfect righteousness, and receive eternal life. "Good news" indeed! But whatever other troubles there might be, as I understand things at the moment, I don’t think it is fair to pull Shelley Quinn and Danny Shelton down (especially on a website called “BSDA”) for using Colossians 2:14 as they do in their book, Ten Commandments Twice Removed. Adventists have acknowledged the two interpretations of this text (see e.g. 7BC 204), and have for decades favoured the less popular view, i.e. that what was “nailed to the cross" was the ceremonial law.

Long and/or commonly held error remains error. Regardless of how long adventists may have endorsed that view, the fact remains that it is exegetically inconsistent and any hermaneutic that reads into the passage the idea that the cheirographon spoken of is the ceremonial law is irreparably flawed... even if it's in the book on the fundamental beliefs and even if it is endorsed by Mark Finley.

Given the zeal with which Adventists will point out doctrinal error in other denominations, we cannot give our own a free pass when the bad doctrine is coming from our own... because when we do we are become respecters of persons... which is something God loathes.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Oct 29 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #48

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ Oct 29 2007, 03:00 AM) *

Si Dieu n'existait pas, il serait nécessaire de l'inventer

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 29 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #49

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(beartrap @ Oct 29 2007, 02:00 AM) *

Did you convert to Catholicism?

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Oct 29 2007, 08:37 AM
Post #50

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fran @ Oct 29 2007, 10:34 AM) *
Did you convert to Catholicism?

Why is it, anytime someone chooses to say something in latin, catholicism is the immediate Pavlovian response?

It's Ovid, Fran... looooooooooooooong before Catholicism.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 29 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #51

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Oct 29 2007, 09:37 AM) *
Why is it, anytime someone chooses to say something in latin, catholicism is the immediate Pavlovian response?

It's Ovid, Fran... looooooooooooooong before Catholicism.

In His service,
Mr. J

Mr J;
Thank you! spoton.gif I looked it up and all I got was Catholic Pages. I have no clue as to what it means.
I have learned something new today. clap.gif

Now, can you tell me what Beartrap said? I only speak English. (It shows too, huh?) I had to look up the other answers. They were easy to find.

This last post has me stumped! wallbash.gif scratchchin.gif

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Oct 29 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #52

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fran @ Oct 29 2007, 11:04 AM) *
Mr J;
Thank you! spoton.gif I looked it up and all I got was Catholic Pages. I have no clue as to what it means.
I have learned something new today. clap.gif

Now, can you tell me what Beartrap said? I only speak English. (It shows too, huh?) I had to look up the other answers. They were easy to find.

This last post has me stumped! wallbash.gif scratchchin.gif

He said "It is expedient that there should be gods, and, since it is expedient, let us assume that there are..."

I followed with Voltaire's "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

I guess we are now waiting to see if there is a resident nihilist among us...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------

+Quote Post
GRAT
post Oct 29 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,305

blink.gif I thought I had clicked on the wrong thread!

+Quote Post
lurker
post Oct 29 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

In the context of the discussion I inferred that Beartrap might have meant that the starry eyed ones needed people to idolize (such as a certain authoress-speaker) since the quote referred to gods (small g) in the plural. But I may have missed something.

Y'all are so smaaat. I have to google y'alls quotes alla time.

This post has been edited by lurker: Oct 29 2007, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Oct 29 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #55

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(lurker @ Oct 29 2007, 11:30 AM) *
In the context of the discussion I inferred that Beartrap might have meant that the starry eyed ones needed people to idolize (such as a certain authoress-speaker) since the quote referred to gods (small g) in the plural. But I may have missed something.

Y'all are so smaaat. I have to google y'alls quotes alla time.

I meant to paraphrase Cassius in response to your saying that and say that their fault lies not in their stars but in themselves... but I never got a round tuit so it didn't happen...

round tuits seems to be nearly extinct most days...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brenda
post Oct 29 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,814

Will square tuits do?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Oct 29 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #57

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Very clever, Whitey! spoton.gif

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 29 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #58

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Oct 29 2007, 10:15 AM) *
He said "It is expedient that there should be gods, and, since it is expedient, let us assume that there are..."

I followed with Voltaire's "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

I guess we are now waiting to see if there is a resident nihilist among us...

In His service,
Mr. J

Mr. J;

Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brick Step
post Oct 30 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,624

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Oct 29 2007, 08:28 AM) *
Long and/or commonly held error remains error. Regardless of how long adventists may have endorsed that view, the fact remains that it is exegetically inconsistent and any hermaneutic that reads into the passage the idea that the cheirographon spoken of is the ceremonial law is irreparably flawed... even if it's in the book on the fundamental beliefs and even if it is endorsed by Mark Finley.

Given the zeal with which Adventists will point out doctrinal error in other denominations, we cannot give our own a free pass when the bad doctrine is coming from our own... because when we do we are become respecters of persons... which is something God loathes.

In His service,
Mr. J

“Long and/or commonly held error remains error.” Amen! It is also true that positions endorsed by the Holy Spirit in the long ago remain truth in the here and now.

“Regardless of how long adventists may have endorsed that view, the fact remains that it is exegetically inconsistent and any hermaneutic that reads into the passage the idea that the cheirographon spoken of is the ceremonial law is irreparably flawed even if it's in the book on the fundamental beliefs…” I’ve noticed there’s a lot of smoke on the internet and in other places in regard to the meaning of Colossians 2:14-17. I’m not a Greek scholar, but I respectfully disagree with the assertion that the “handwriting of ordinances” that was “blotted out” and “nailed to his cross” is not in this context a special reference to the ceremonial law. I see a parallel with “the law of commandments contained in ordinances” that was “abolished in his flesh” in Ephesians 2:15.

“… even if it is endorsed by Mark Finley.” The supporting quote I gave was from the prophet, Ellen White, not Mark Finley. It is obvious you meant to say also that a position is wrong, “even if it is endorsed by Ellen White.”

”Given the zeal with which Adventists will point out doctrinal error in other denominations…” For the past several decades in the Adventist churches I have attended, in the overall nothing could be further from the truth. "Doctrinal error in other denominations" has been given little attention, let alone done with "zeal."

“… we cannot give our own a free pass when the bad doctrine is coming from our own… because when we do we are become respecters of persons... which is something God loathes.” AMEN! … so long as we remember that even with the “respecter of persons” issue, it is the sin and not the sinner that God loathes. It would also be “respecting persons”, would it not, to engage in excessive criticism of our own long held doctrines, while condemning our evangelists for graciously presenting truths which cut across the long cherished erroneous beliefs of others?

3ABN. It is appreciated that this must be a trying time for those more closely involved in this 3ABN saga. God be with all parties concerned. Our home is praying daily that fact will be separated from fiction, and truth and justice will prevail, whichever way things must go. May truth and justice also be seen to prevail. In His time and way, we know Providence will show His hand.

This post has been edited by Brick Step: Oct 30 2007, 08:40 PM

+Quote Post
roxe
post Oct 30 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Oct 28 2007, 09:41 PM) *
Was wondering if the "starry-eyed" feelings were from gaining some heavenly insights or just 'startruck' because a celebrity came to town?
Just wondering...

Rosyroi,

I'm not really sure the womens could tell you themselves which it is...

but, from the way the responses were given, it appears that it was from being hypnotized thumbdown.gif

'cuz when I tried asking for details, all I could get was "OH, it was so WONDERFUL!!"
with lots of emotion exhibited...

This post has been edited by roxe: Oct 30 2007, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:01 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church