Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18756&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:55:38 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Important Meeting, What split our church for 50 years
Skyhook
post Jan 5 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(PeacefulBe @ Jan 4 2008, 04:07 PM) *
Is the determination of the nature of Jesus, pre or post fall human, salvific?

I'm with SE. Love is more important than being right.

Pb, the critics of QOD claimed that the Evangelicals were told that our church believed that Christ was born with a human nature like Adam before the fall, whereas the Adventist church has always believed and taught that Christ had a fallen nature like ours but was completely without sin. The critics claim that to teach otherwise would mean that Christ had an advantage we do not have and thus cannot be our example. This would mean according to thier line of thinking that it is impossible for us to overcome sin in this life. In other words, the gospel that is based on a pre-fall nature would be grace without power to overcome sin, ie. "cheap grace."
That is my understanding of thier position.
They say it is definately a salvific issue which is one reason the controversy has not died down after 50 years.

This post has been edited by Skyhook: Jan 5 2008, 07:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 5 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Skyhook @ Jan 5 2008, 04:03 PM) *
Pb, the critics of QOD claimed that the Evangelicals were told that our church believed that Christ was born with a human nature like Adam before the fall, whereas the Adventist church has always believed and taught that Christ had a fallen nature like ours but was completely without sin. The critics claim that to teach otherwise would mean that Christ had an advantage we do not have and thus cannot be our example. This would mean according to thier line of thinking that it is impossible for us to overcome sin in this life. In other words, the gospel that is based on a pre-fall nature would be grace without power to overcome sin, ie. "cheap grace."
That is my understanding of thier position.
They say it is definately a salvific issue which is one reason the controversy has not died down after 50 years.

Thank you, Skyhook. That was informative. I suppose if it is a salvific issue for them they must settle it for their own sakes.

I do understand the lineage the Bible gives, and love the story of Naomi and Ruth and the little bundle Ruth already had in the oven as she followed her mother-in-law home. I personally just don't see how the nature of Christ is an issue because whatever nature He had He, the Son of God, still sacrificed His life to pay our death wages. Nothing can cheapen His grace in my eyes.

Perhaps the problem is more that some are so focused on the shiney yellow bricks on the SDA road that they don't realize that the true path to salvation is knowing and following Him, not the yellow brick road.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jan 13 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(lurker @ Jan 4 2008, 05:34 PM) *
Forgiveness? Well, they talk a good game. Let's see if they will forgive and drop the lawsuit.

I have heard some say this whole thing with 3abn and the Shelton mess has brought us to the place where a split in the church is possible. They say that is part of the fear factor in speaking out one way or the other for those in power.

Yesterday a friend quoted a conference president who was using the whole thing to say that what was going on in his conference wasn't nearly as bad as ".....what Danny Shelton and 3ABN are doing..... "

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 13 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jan 13 2008, 04:08 PM) *
I have heard some say this whole thing with 3abn and the Shelton mess has brought us to the place where a split in the church is possible. They say that is part of the fear factor in speaking out one way or the other for those in power.

Yesterday a friend quoted a conference president who was using the whole thing to say that what was going on in his conference wasn't nearly as bad as ".....what Danny Shelton and 3ABN are doing..... "

I have discovered that teachers and pastors in different parts of the world are following our threads closely without participating themselves. This is one reason the information we give here is of greater importance than what some of you claim.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:55 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church