Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18805&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:07:54 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regarding Allegations Of Sexual Molestation By D S, What has been the response of the Adventist Church?
Artiste
post Jan 1 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,569

Statement by Linda Shelton's daughter, Alyssa Moore:

July 7, 2006

This is a formal statement which is long overdue. I did not disclose this information when the events occurred because I did not want to hurt my mother. I did not want to cause trouble with 3 ABN, and I was too embarrassed to talk about it. Now that some time has passed and circumstances have changed I feel the need to share this information. I want to spare others from being exposed to the same treatment that I have experienced.

1) The repeated inappropriate actions from my ex-stepfather, Danny Shelton, occurred in the summer of the year 2000.

2) I had been away at school for some years. I was happy to be returning home to attend a local University.

3) My mother always went to bed rather early. Her bedroom was upstairs and my bedroom was downstairs. Danny started coming into my room getting into my bed and rubbing my back. He seemed to “accidentally” get too low. I told him I did not want a back rub. He ignored me. This happened repeatedly.

4) I began locking my bedroom door every night. Sometimes he would come to the door and knock again and again. I did not answer. He then repeatedly unlocked my bedroom door and
came into my room. He would then get into my bed. I was not comfortable with this but I was so tired I still fell asleep. I awoke sometimes with his hands in inappropriate places. He would say “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought it was your Mom.” He told me not to tell my Mom. I told him to stay out of my room. He still came. I started sleep on the living room couch so that he could not lie beside me.

5) I felt threatened and very uncomfortable with these things, so I made arrangements to move out.

Signed,

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jan 1 2008, 05:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jan 1 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Approximately a couple of years ago, a notarized copy of the above statement was circulated to Seventh-day Adventist church leaders and General Conference officials.

It has been mentioned previously on this site that there are protocols in place for church dealings with such matters.

Is there any record of responses by the church to the above allegation?

During the past years, church leaders have appeared frequently on 3ABN to report on church missions and activities. Dr. Michael L. Ryan, a Vice President of the Seventh-day Adventist Church can be seen from time to time currently on 3ABN.

In the January, 2008, issue of 3ABN World, Jim Gilley, president of 3ABN, in his editorial titled "I Believe in Miracles", relates the story of recurring miracles accompaning the establishing of 3ABN by Danny Shelton as recorded on tape.

Jim Gilley states, "Recently Danny and I sat in his office and listened to that tape, made 22 years ago. We then recorded 3ABN's 23rd Anniversary program, and we felt God reviving our faith to meet the challenges--just as he did in the early days of this ministry....Danny and I believe, as we all do here at 3ABN, that the greatest days of this ministry are just ahead!...Thanks to you, 3ABN is stronger than ever before..."

Has the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists done anything to correct this injustice?

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jan 1 2008, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 1 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #3

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 1 2008, 05:47 PM) *
....It has been mentioned previously on this site that there are protocols in place for church dealings with such matters.

I just wanted to correct this statement. While it may have been mentioned on this site - I have not been able to find anything in the church manual as to how to "handle" such occurences within the church.

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jan 1 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Jan 1 2008, 03:24 PM) *
I just wanted to correct this statement. While it may have been mentioned on this site - I have not been able to find anything in the church manual as to how to "handle" such occurences within the church.

Watchbird Oct 4, 2006, post #32
One additional note to this is that the GC has, in the last few years.... not sure just when.... taken formal positions about what steps to take in cases like this.... and they DO include notifying the law enforcement agencies immediately upon the allegations....

Why haven't the Family Ministries personell been involved in any of the 3abn allegations? I wish I knew. Does anyone have any direct lines to any of them?

The above mention by Watchbird was what I was referring to.

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jan 1 2008, 05:33 PM

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 1 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #5

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

The way to handle it on a church level is to bring it to the attention of Danny's local church and ask for it to be considered at a church business meeting.

This post has been edited by Pickle: Jan 1 2008, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jan 1 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 1 2008, 03:44 PM) *
The way to handle it on a church level is to bring it to the attention of Danny's local church and ask for it to be considered at a church business meeting.

Is Danny's local church closely affilated with 3ABN?

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 1 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #7

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

GC is repsonding just as it is responding to the other issues with 3ABN, they are acting as if it hasnt' happened. They are going to do absolutely nothing about it. I was one also who received this letter a few months before it was posted here. I know myself that it went to ur local ocnference office. GC will do nothing. That alone should have been emough for them to ditance themselves from 3ABN until it was investigated, but they haven't. I don't know why we think we(SDAs) are immune to the type of bad publicity that plagues the RCC.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Daryl Fawcett
post Jan 1 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,851

I thought there were some previous directives from the GC to distance themselves from 3ABN?

Aren't they posted here in a topic somewhere, or was that only over at Maritime SDA OnLine?

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 1 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #9

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 1 2008, 05:54 PM) *

Yes. 3ABN owns the building and land, and many of the members are employed by 3ABN.

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post Jan 1 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(Daryl Fawcett @ Jan 1 2008, 09:17 PM) *
I thought there were some previous directives from the GC to distance themselves from 3ABN?

Aren't they posted here in a topic somewhere, or was that only over at Maritime SDA OnLine?

There was an announcement from the GC a few months ago that stated that those who are employed directly by the GC are not to be involved in any new programing with 3abn. If I recall correctly they mentioned that 3abn's board was working on certain problems, and the announcement expressed confidence that the board would be able to deal with the problems successfully.

That information is here somewhere. And probably on Save3abn as well.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 1 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #11

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

this ground has been covered before.... several times.... is there something new or something that was missed the other times we discussed this? I am curious...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 1 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #12

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

How about he moved the church from in town onto 3ABN property, and John Lomacang is the pastor......close enough for ya'?

However, I am with Clay. What is the point? Clearly GC is going to do nothing. I believe the directive was very vague, not really traceable to GC, and made in some remote conference...........somebody correct me if I am wrong.

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 1 2008, 03:54 PM) *

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Jan 1 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #13

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jan 1 2008, 10:04 PM) *

However, I am with Clay. What is the point? Clearly GC is going to do nothing. I believe the directive ws very vague, not really traceable to GC, and made in some remote conference...........somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I am with both of you. Although I am more than disgusted that there appears to have been no investigation (at any level) into the allegations made in Alyssa's letter, what does further discussion accomplish at this point unless one does so hoping that MAYBE THIS TIME something just might be done about it. Has anyone bothered to ask Alyssa if she wants it discussed yet again if she has declined to pursue legal action?

If Alyssa wants this rehashed in hopes of acheiving a different outcome then someone should contact her to verify that otherwise IMO you only continue to victimize her for reasons that have nothing to do with helping her heal and get on with her life.

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Jan 1 2008, 09:58 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 1 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #14

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 1 2008, 06:32 PM) *
Watchbird Oct 4, 2006, post #32
The above mention by Watchbird was what I was referring to.

I know what you were stating Artiste - what I was referring to was the statement about "the church" having actual "rules" as to how to handle sexual abuse/molestation. I have not been able to find such rules/statements in the Church Handbook.
QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 1 2008, 09:32 PM) *
this ground has been covered before.... several times.... is there something new or something that was missed the other times we discussed this? I am curious...

Nothing new. The man is still on TV. He has not been brought up on charges. He was not "cast out" as we (SDA's) so quickly do unwed mothers.

Nothing. Nay-thang. Not a thang.

Carry on!
snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Jan 1 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #15

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

I completed a qualitative study about two years ago where I gained the bylaws/rules/handbook instructions of Catholicism, United Methodist, and lastly SDA as to what should be done in in the respected churches. I was not able to find actual statements directed at what should be done within the SDA church if it is discovered that a member is sexually abused/molested or is sexually abusing/molesting.

I may be wrong - but the Pastor that I interviewed got the Church Handbook out and tried to find the section. He could not.

As for the Catholic and United Methodist churches - they had an entire section of their bylaws/rules/handbook dedicated to the topic of sexual abuse/molestation.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:07 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church