Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18805&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:56:27 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regarding Allegations Of Sexual Molestation By D S, What has been the response of the Adventist Church?
Daryl Fawcett
post Jan 2 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,851

Seems like the SDA Church Manual Committee still has some work to do for the next GC Session.

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 2 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #32

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Noahswife @ Jan 2 2008, 04:21 PM) *
Johann~

What I find surprising about your position here is that in the past you have made it very clear that Alyssa never intended for her private information to be made available for public consumption on the internet. You have more than once openly questioned Calvin's decision to post the letter or even to leave it posted. Have you discussed revisiting this painful and very personal issue with Linda or Alyssa? Do they desire this be discussed so publicly yet again? Do their desires or wishes matter to you? Or do you also take the position that it is unfortunate that there will be victims along the way in order to acheive a desired result?

I think it is unfair to suggest that those who feel there is no point in discussing this matter without a compelling reason to do so (IOW, something new has happened or come to light) are bored or that they have forgotten and need to be reminded. I guarantee that not one person that has read Alyssa's letter and believed it has forgotten and continues to be disgusted if the allegation is true. But some are more concerned with Alyssa getting on with her life and are also disgusted to see her possibly being "used" against her wishes. (Tell me she wants this discussion to continue and I will have nothing more to say). I personally do not believe discussing it again allows her to do so.

Reminded? I will tell you what bringing it up reminds me of. It reminds me once again of a church that continues to sweep things under the rug rather than deal with them. A church that once again failed to listen to someone without the power to compel them to and instead treated her as if she had a lesser value when compared to her step-father in a risk benefit analysis. If the allegations are true I am sorry that Alyssa did not have the courage to take legal action. But I respect her choice not to do so. Only she knows what was right for her. It is not our job to continue to try to make things right for her unless she has requested that we do so.

You suggest patience. I agree. If there are governmental agencies investigating as we have been told then let them do their work and file their charges. If there is concern that others who have experienced something similar to Alyssa's alleged abuse be listened to in the future and the alleged perpetrator dealt with by the church, then I think such a discussion is appropriate without focusing on what happened to Alyssa and the discussion if held on BSDA be outside the 3abn forum so those who genuinely care about all the victims and not just what DS allegedly did can participate.

I will be the first to admit that I have become very cynical and suspicious about the timing of why certain topics are brought up for discussion again when there does not seem to be anything new to discuss. soapzip.gif

nw

Therefore I have sent you a PM requesting you discuss this privately with Linda.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 2 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

They will not act upon that which they refuse to acknowledge as being in existence withint he church. If htey make policy concerning it, they are repsonsible for it. It is much easier to act as if it happens in only isolated instances and "someone" will deal with it, or better yet, the victim will be chirstian enough not to bring up something so unpleasant. In short, they will have to do something with the information provded them by Alyssa.

QUOTE(Daryl Fawcett @ Jan 2 2008, 09:03 AM) *
Seems like the SDA Church Manual Committee still has some work to do for the next GC Session.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 2 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #34

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jan 2 2008, 05:41 PM) *
They will not act upon that which they refuse to acknowledge.

SSSSSShhhhhccccttttt. . . . Perhaps it is none of our business waking up sleeping saints. Some would rather hear them snore.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jan 2 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #35

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

Ok so what is the church expected to do if the alleged victim does not press criminal charges? Its her word against his, there are no independant witnesses if if was your husband/brother/male friend/son accused of such a heinous crime and there was only one alleged victim what would you expect to happen?

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 2 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

They could at least investgate to get that far, and then make some kind of determination, statement, etc. If she wants to keep it on the DL that is one thing, but as it stands she sent them the info, so at the very least an investigation is in order to determine how far this will go.....especially with the SDA name attached to it.

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 2 2008, 10:15 AM) *
Ok so what is the church expected to do if the alleged victim does not press criminal charges? Its her word against his, there are no independant witnesses if if was your husband/brother/male friend/son accused of such a heinous crime and there was only one alleged victim what would you expect to happen?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 2 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #37

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Denny @ Jan 2 2008, 06:15 PM) *

You ain't far off the point, Denny

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 2 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #38

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jan 2 2008, 12:19 PM) *
They could at least investgate to get that far, and then make some kind of determination, statement, etc. If she wants to keep it on the DL that is one thing, but as it stands she sent them the info, so at the very least an investigation is in order to determine how far this will go.....especially with the SDA name attached to it.

The church cannot investigate something that needs to be handled by the police. As Den pointed out, there were no charges filed, so it is reduced to a he said/she said incident. What really is the church expected to do? At some point police would have to get involved, that has not happened, and when the info was sent to various church leaders they should have advised her to file charges...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Observer
post Jan 2 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #39

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 2 2008, 11:22 AM) *
The church cannot investigate something that needs to be handled by the police. As Den pointed out, there were no charges filed, so it is reduced to a he said/she said incident. What really is the church expected to do? At some point police would have to get involved, that has not happened, and when the info was sent to various church leaders they should have advised her to file charges...

There is major truth in what Clay stated, but it is incomplete in one aspect.

In regard to the issue that involves Linda'daughter, the above post is basicly accurate. The denominaiton really does not have the ability to investigate the alligations. In one sense, Danny is beyond the reach of the official church. It is also true that the denomination cannot fill the role of a civilian police agency. In that aspect, formal charges must be filed, investigated and processed by civil authorities.

However, there is another sense in which the above is invomplete. You will note that I mentioned the policy of the Walla Walla University Chruch, which was based upon the policy of the Upper Columbia Conference. That policy provides for alligations of sexual misconduct, clearly specified, to be investigated by a committee of the WWU Church, regardless of whether or not civil charges have been (or will be) filed. In the case of a person who wants to be associated with a local congregation, that congregation can investigate regardless of whether or not civil charges have been, or will be, filed. The policy I reference provides for the congregation to take action in regard to any person alleged to have committed specific sexual misconduct, without any requirement for civil charges to be filed.

e.g. A local congregation has the right to restrict access to children in the case of a person alleged to have committed certain types of sexual misconduct and to place other requirements upon that person when that person either attends a church program, or is on church property.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Ian
post Jan 2 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 2 2008, 01:22 PM) *

Exactly. Ancient Israel was both a church and state, led directly by God himself. There is a division of Church and State since the new covenant, because of the mystery of iniquity.

As Christ said render to Ceasar what is his and God what is his, and as Paul said the state is there to do good in these cases...

After something is reported to the state, or civil authorities.then a church may act or discipine a member, but they can't or shouldn't attempt to circumvent or take the place of civil authorities UNLESS it is a issue of following and obeying God first.

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jan 2 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

We all know that unless certain issues are brought to the forum of public opinion they will never be addressed. Issues such as racist and sexist behavior, and good old boy ism. I am a convert to the Adventist church. I believe in the mission of the church and the correctness of its doctrines. I have seen too much to think that the people or the leaders perfectly live the gospel.

I hear preachers say that the reason the gospel message was taken from the Old Testament church and give to the Gentiles was that they did not spread the message to the world. That is not what Jesus said.

Matthew 23:15 What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are!

Sounds like they were making intense efforts to make converts but the Bible indicates that they disdained others as being "lesser" than themselves. When they made converts, those converts were encouraged to become proud and smug also.

It doesn't mean that our situation is hopeless. It means we need to see ourselves as God does. Revelation 3:17
You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

This post has been edited by lurker: Jan 2 2008, 12:44 PM

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jan 2 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(Ian @ Jan 2 2008, 10:40 AM) *
After something is reported to the state, or civil authorities.then a church may act or discipine a member, but they can't or shouldn't attempt to circumvent or take the place of civil authorities UNLESS it is a issue of following and obeying God first.

When did the church become unable to discipline its members for misconduct of a nature that would violate scriptural guidelines of morality? Whether there was a civil case or not?

If a church elder is discovered in an adulterous relationship with another member of the congregation, is the church unable to take action?

Is sexual molestation of a younger person a so much lesser sin than the above? Why wouldn't the church be able exercise church discipline in this case?

+Quote Post
Ian
post Jan 2 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 2 2008, 01:55 PM) *
When did the church become unable to discipline its members for misconduct of a nature that would violate scriptural guidelines of morality? Whether there was a civil case or not?

If a church elder is discovered in an adulterous relationship with another member of the congregation, is the church unable to take action?

Is sexual molestation of a younger person a so much lesser sin than the above? Why wouldn't the church be able exercise church discipline in this case?

Please don't misunderstand me.

I did not say the Church cannot act, or discipline a member. I said first things first. Crimes and alleged crimes are the civil government's jurisdiction, and need to be reported as such, then it may be taken up by the church if necessary.

There's also that little rag called the Declaration of Independance and the bill of rights which we as Americans believe is godly and foundational. When the church starts ignoring such , we are acting exactly like Rome during the dark ages, which is exactly what the bill of rights was designed to prevent.

Also in regards to your example?
apples and oranges.
Adultery is not a police matter, sexual molestation is....

This post has been edited by Ian: Jan 2 2008, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post Jan 2 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 2 2008, 12:55 PM) *

I suspect none would disagree with your main points Artiste. I believe it has been determined ad infinitum that that the only church with any authority to take any action on this is located on the 3abn compound. I would assume they have been made aware of this allegation and have declined to act on it.

If that is in fact the case, the question is why we find it necessary to resurrect this nastiness every few months. I don't know for certain but it appears to be a reaction to a lack of new topics or developments to hash over.

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post
mikell
post Jan 2 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jan 1 2008, 05:32 PM) *
Statement by Linda Shelton's daughter, Alyssa Moore:

July 7, 2006

This is a formal statement which is long overdue. I did not disclose this information when the events occurred because I did not want to hurt my mother. I did not want to cause trouble with 3 ABN, and I was too embarrassed to talk about it. Now that some time has passed and circumstances have changed I feel the need to share this information. I want to spare others from being exposed to the same treatment that I have experienced.

1) The repeated inappropriate actions from my ex-stepfather, Danny Shelton, occurred in the summer of the year 2000.

2) I had been away at school for some years. I was happy to be returning home to attend a local University.

3) My mother always went to bed rather early. Her bedroom was upstairs and my bedroom was downstairs. Danny started coming into my room getting into my bed and rubbing my back. He seemed to "accidentally" get too low. I told him I did not want a back rub. He ignored me. This happened repeatedly.

4) I began locking my bedroom door every night. Sometimes he would come to the door and knock again and again. I did not answer. He then repeatedly unlocked my bedroom door and
came into my room. He would then get into my bed. I was not comfortable with this but I was so tired I still fell asleep. I awoke sometimes with his hands in inappropriate places. He would say "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was your Mom." He told me not to tell my Mom. I told him to stay out of my room. He still came. I started sleep on the living room couch so that he could not lie beside me.

5) I felt threatened and very uncomfortable with these things, so I made arrangements to move out.

Signed,

Forget what the GC should do! Lock up the dirty old man behind bars! Throw away the key!!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:56 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church