Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9215&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:59:10 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forgiveness... what is it?, a spinoff from the Linda thread....
sonshineonme
post May 11 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(statrei @ May 11 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]130305[/snapback]

If the only reason you repent for offending someone is because that is the only way to get something you want then it is a plain as the nose on your face that you are not truly sorry, so the repentance means nothing. Love repents even though it does not have to.

It should never be the reason for repenting. Ever. Applying the real and true reason brings healing and closeness. It's personal - not a "rule" or "forced" thing. It's based on love for the other. Maybe this kind of love is only from God. JMO.

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
denisebyers
post May 11 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,654

What about this verse? This tells me that the goodness of God leadeth us to repentence. I really love the book of Romans, and this is one of my favorite verses.

Romans 2:4Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Isn't that beautiful?! I love it!

This post has been edited by denisebyers: May 11 2006, 10:45 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 11 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(denisebyers @ May 11 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]130309[/snapback]

What about this verse? This tells me that the goodness of God leadeth us to repentence. I really love the book of Romans, and this is one of my favorite verses.

Romans 2:4Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

yes.... but I tend to like the modern translations a bit better... like this one...

Romans 2:3-4
(3) When you judge people for doing these things but then do them yourself, do you think you will escape God's judgment?
(4) Do you have contempt for God, who is very kind to you, puts up with you, and deals patiently with you? Don't you realize that it is God's kindness that is trying to lead you to him and change the way you think and act?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
denisebyers
post May 11 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,654

When I read the KJV, when it says the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentence, I see that as we behold Him, get to know Him more each day, by his character, his life here on earth, he was so loving, merciful, compassionate, this changes us. As we keep our mind on Him, get to know Him more, and mediate on His words, this leads us to repentence, by the Holy Spirit working on our lives. I know this has put a change in my life. He is an awesome God......too awesome to describe....there's so much to learn everyday, and I love this! And yes, His love does change the way we think and act.

This post has been edited by denisebyers: May 11 2006, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 11 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #20

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Clay @ May 11 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]130311[/snapback]

yes.... but I tend to like the modern translations a bit better... like this one...

Romans 2:3-4
(3) When you judge people for doing these things but then do them yourself, do you think you will escape God's judgment?
(4) Do you have contempt for God, who is very kind to you, puts up with you, and deals patiently with you? Don't you realize that it is God's kindness that is trying to lead you to him and change the way you think and act?

I love that translation Clay - somehow I grew up not seeing this part of Christ - and the past 20 years I have spent getting to know God and His real personal intrest in ME, His caring of ME, that I am important to Him - not just what I do wrong, but His wanting to get to my heart and make me a real and new creature. Only by Love can this happen. Not being beat over the head. Thanks Clay and Denise! When we really come to understand this, that's when REAL change comes and it sticks!

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post May 11 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Clay @ May 11 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]130291[/snapback]

Jesus died for all your sins.... the moment he did that were they not forgiven?

They were atoned for...if you look at the day of atonement, while the sacrifice was sufficient to atone for the sin of all... there were still some who were not covered by it solely based on the choice those individuals made.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post May 11 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #22

Guests

The fact that the goodness of God leads us to repentance does not mean that we have not been already forgiven. The text is only speaking to the effect of the goodness of God on the individual.

+Quote Post
Denny
post May 12 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #23

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ May 11 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]130327[/snapback]

They were atoned for...if you look at the day of atonement, while the sacrifice was sufficient to atone for the sin of all... there were still some who were not covered by it solely based on the choice those individuals made.

In His service,
Mr. J

If you choose to forgive your children but they choose not to be reconciled/be at one with you does that make your act of forgiveness null and void?

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Prisca
post May 12 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(denisebyers @ May 11 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]130309[/snapback]

The goodness of God does not lead to repentence when ingratitude trips the person up. That is a part of that despising right? You have to have a sense of gratitude/thankfullness/awareness in order to continue down that path to repentence.

QUOTE(Denny @ May 12 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]130408[/snapback]

If you choose to forgive your children but they choose not to be reconciled/be at one with you does that make your act of forgiveness null and void?

It depends. You may forgive your addict child but not allow him/her to return to the home to cause havoc and present a danger to yourself or anyone else in the family. Is that what you mean by reconciled?

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post May 12 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #25

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Denny @ May 12 2006, 04:18 AM) [snapback]130408[/snapback]

There is a distinct difference between my extending forgiveness and my receiving it. The prodigal son had long been forgiven by his father but he did not receive it until he sought it. I can extend forgiveness unilaterally; I cannot receive it unilaterally, however.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 12 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #26

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

Should acknowledgement of wrongdoing and penitence ever occur, we would be the first to forgive and forget. Unfortunately, that has not happened, and we must move on.
Dr. Walter Thompson, Open letter from 3ABN, April 5, 2006

It is clearly stated that 3ABN's position on forgiveness is that it must be conditional. In the absence of "acknowledgement of wrongdoing and penitence" one does not forgive, they simply move on.

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post May 12 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 12 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]130450[/snapback]

It is clearly stated that 3ABN's position on forgiveness is that it must be conditional. In the absence of "acknowledgement of wrongdoing and penitence" one does not forgive, they simply move on.

And that public stance is, in my mind, worse than what Danny has done. They have publicly adopted a stance that is contrary to the very nature of the Creator.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jul 8 2006, 01:13 PM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(statrei @ May 12 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]130453[/snapback]

And that public stance is, in my mind, worse than what Danny has done. They have publicly adopted a stance that is contrary to the very nature of the Creator.

aint that just like good christian folks.... who belong to a good christian .org......

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:59 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church