Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10823&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:26:41 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can Danny Change
Truly Blonde
post Sep 9 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,160

I have been reading the different posts about the hardening of Danny's heart and that we don't see a change and what he would need to do for us to see a change or by your fruits we shall know you. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this and here is what I think. Danny CAN change. Even if the Lord is hardening his heart he can still change. If he stops long enough to listen. We had a guest pastor for our church campout and he told us his story. He was raised in an SDA home. (In the country) At the age of four he was sexually molested by a farm hand. He told no one. From that point on he had abnormal sexual fantasies. In his college years he went as a student missionary and ended up staying for several years. He thought he wanted to be a minister. Felt the Lord was calling him to this. Took Theology but kept having sexual thoughts. Prayed about it over and over. Came to the conclusion that if he got married it would solve all his problems. So he did. Had two children. When he finished schooling he was offered a church. He turned it down. His wife had to go take care of her parents. While she was gone he went to his first gay bar. He became immersed in the gay lifestyle. His wife was told by leaders of the church to divorce him. "That kind never changes." She did. He was in this lifestyle for 16 years. Had three semi permanent partners. Took up all the vices, smoking, drinking,drugs. His parents never gave up on him. They would come to visit and stay with him and his partners. When they left they would always forget and leave something. A book, a phamplet telling him of God's love for him. He wouldn't look at them. After sixteen years he was by a pool at a gay bar in Palm Springs and another gay came up to him and said "Hey pastor what are you doing in a place like this?" He had never told any of his friends or even strangers he had taken theology. He hit rock bottom lived so high he couldn't pay his child support, couldn't pay his bills etc. He thought he could just go to court and straighten things out. WRONG!!! He was arrested and sent to jail til his hearing. Through all of this his exwife was supportive of him. At this time he started praying and asking the Lord to forgive him and to help him turn his life around. The Lord answered that prayer. He started reading all the books his parents had left him and studying his Bible. He was rebaptized and he was offered a church to pastor. An elder in the church said "I give you 2 years and you will be back a homosexual, your kind never change". He was very discouraged and hurt but he clung to the Lord. The Lord heard him and not only that , He brought a new women into his life and they got married and have 2 children and he has been straight for 14 years. His former wife and new wife have become friends. This man is a changed person and he preaches the grace of God. He doesn't tell the details of his story because he doesn't want to glorify Satan. (He has written a book telling more of the details you can get it at the ABC. Its called That Kind Can Never Change, Can They?) He preaches repentance and change. He tells you without repentnce and change there can be no forgiveness. I tell you you can see God shining in his eyes. He loves the Lord and the Lord has done a good work in him. It oozes out of him he can't hide it. He tells you we must die to self, surrender everything to God.

Today in church we had a guest speaker who also talked about surrendering ourselves to God. Dieing to self and he said I can tell you an easy way to tell if you are surrendered to God. Have you ever been hurt by someone? Of course everyone said yes. He told us that if someone hurts our feelings and/or us we are not surrendered to God. If God lives in us these things won't matter to us because there will be no self to hurt. I have to say that hit home to me. There are times when I start feeling a pity party comming on because of things people have said or done to me. I now know that that is self getting in the way of my relationship with God.

SOoooo-the way I see it. Danny can change if he repents and changes. His hard heart can be softened by the Holy Spirit--IF he surrenders his whole self to God. That means-NO ME in 3abn. Just God. I believe that God is working through 3abn. It is winning souls to Jesus Christ everyday. However until Danny surrenders and repents God cannot work through HIM!! As long as he allows people to call him the annointed one and takes credit for 3abn God will not use him for his will.

What do you think? smile.gif tb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Sep 9 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #2

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

As long as he is breathing and in his right mind, he still has a chance. Jesus died for him, also.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
sister
post Sep 9 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #3

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

Blondie,

The Pastor you mentioned was a guest on one of the 3ABN Today programs, interviewed by Danny Shelton. It was one of many opportunities the Lord has given Danny to hear the wooing of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, the call to humble himself and repent...

Sister

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Sep 9 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #4

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Sep 9 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]151023[/snapback]

SOoooo-the way I see it. Danny can change if he repents and changes. His hard heart can be softened by the Holy Spirit--IF he surrenders his whole self to God. That means-NO ME in 3abn. Just God. I believe that God is working through 3abn. It is winning souls to Jesus Christ everyday. However until Danny surrenders and repents God cannot work through HIM!! As long as he allows people to call him the annointed one and takes credit for 3abn God will not use him for his will.

What do you think? smile.gif tb

Truly Blonde, I heartily agree with you. I saw that pastor on 3abn and was so moved by his testimony!

Through Jesus all things are possible. His power is limited only by our own choice.

QUOTE(sister @ Sep 9 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]151032[/snapback]

Blondie,

The Pastor you mentioned was a guest on one of the 3ABN Today programs, interviewed by Danny Shelton. It was one of many opportunities the Lord has given Danny to hear the wooing of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, the call to humble himself and repent...

Sister

Sister, the loved ones of that pastor kept leaving materials for him to read. He read them once he was open to having a change of heart. Perhaps all of these opportunities are not lost on Danny.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 10 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #5

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

where there is life, there is hope.... given that, anyone can change.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Jewel50
post Sep 10 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,871

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 9 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]151071[/snapback]

Amen Clay. That was one of my late husbands favorite sayings. So yes all long as anyone has breath in this and allow the Holy Spirit to work in them there is HOPE. Amen

Jewel

+Quote Post
husbandoftheyear
post Sep 10 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,078

It is always hard to look at someone you would like to take behind the woodshed as a child of God. Dan is, in fact, exactly that and should be graced with God's limitless forgiveness and love.

On the other had - I expect to see a whole lot a whoopin goin on!

bottom.gif

This post has been edited by husbandoftheyear: Sep 10 2006, 04:39 PM

--------------------
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 10 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #8

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(princessdi @ Sep 9 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]151024[/snapback]

As long as he is breathing and in his right mind, he still has a chance. Jesus died for him, also.

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 10 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]151071[/snapback]

Now...will he change?

Probably nope.

doh.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Sep 10 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #9

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Sep 10 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]151235[/snapback]

Now...will he change?

Probably nope.

doh.gif

Anything is possible. But God is limited by a persons willingness to surrender. I'm watching for that white flag....

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Expression
post Sep 11 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,145

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Sep 9 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]151023[/snapback]

Today in church we had a guest speaker who also talked about surrendering ourselves to God. Dieing to self and he said I can tell you an easy way to tell if you are surrendered to God. Have you ever been hurt by someone? Of course everyone said yes. He told us that if someone hurts our feelings and/or us we are not surrendered to God. If God lives in us these things won't matter to us because there will be no self to hurt. I have to say that hit home to me. There are times when I start feeling a pity party comming on because of things people have said or done to me. I now know that that is self getting in the way of my relationship with God.

There is much to be said in regard to change. I feel that many have been thinking about this and I’m glad it was brought up. I may post later about the question at hand, but first I want to address the above statement. If you follow this line of thinking to it’s end result it’s rather disturbing--at least to some.

We say that God created us, true? But we must remember that we’re not just a body. God created us with feelings and emotions. This is what makes us different from mere automations. He made us in His image, with the ability to feel not only joy, but pain.

You might be thinking, “Yeah, we know. What’s your point?”

If we say that hurt equals sin we are attempting to take away the most basic component that makes us different than a machine or robot.

God tells us that in heaven there will be no more pain. Is this because we have turned off our emotions? No. It is because the outside factors that once brought us pain will no longer exist. If we take away someone’s freedom to feel the pain they have experienced we are telling them to deny what they have gone through. This is dangerous and extremely unhealthy.

Well you say, “We are to be dead--dead to self.” Does this mean we are to become a doormat? Theologians can go into great detail on this subject, but when we begin to say that people can no longer be hurt and still be Christian something is wrong. Very wrong. Our emotions are there to protect us, but too often we just shut them off and say, “I gotta forgive and move on.” Thus we are quiet when abuse is rampant and many of the families that compose our churches are in need of serious help.

Those within Adventism need to be learning how to listen and work through their emotions. All too often we suppress them in order to be “Christian” but you can only do that for so long. Our church is filled with people who are emotional wrecks on the inside, but they look good at church because they are “supposed to.”

If we can get people to turn off their emotions we are much more likely to be able to control them. This is something that you often see within cults, and though the Adventist church is not a cult, it surprises me how often ideology such as this appears inside our church.

As long as we live in this sinful world we will be hurt. But we are not to destroy our emotions. Instead of stuffing our feelings we need to ask, “Why do I feel this way?” and begin to work through them. This is the healthy approach. It is only as we work through the hurt that we can begin to find healing.

--------------------
"When you start dealing with real change you are talking about interfering with those who are in possession of something."

"Silence enpowers the evil one."

"Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." Abraham Lincoln

+Quote Post
Hersheys99
post Sep 11 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #11

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 1,672

Very good points Expression & I agree with what you are saying. yes.gif thumbup1.gif

--------------------
My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first one being -- hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
-Erma Bombeck-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
(Unknown)

+Quote Post
summertime
post Sep 11 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

QUOTE(sister @ Sep 9 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]151032[/snapback]

Blondie,

Sister
I thought that tb said that this man never told his story--but he wrote a book and appeared on 3ABN? Maybe I have lost the storyline completely. If his ex-wife had continued to believe in him, why did they not reconcile? Apparently he found himself another wife. So where does that leave his ex-wife?

This post has been edited by summertime: Sep 11 2006, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
Truly Blonde
post Sep 13 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,160

Summertime

What I meant when I said he doesn't tell his story is that he doesn't go into all the nasty details that are better left unsaid. He does tell about his life in general just not in specifics. When he preaches and alludes to his story it is in passing, spending much more time on repentance and change. For example he did not tell us he had been a homosexual in his sermon just said he had lived a very very very bad lifestyle and then told us of his comming to Christ and his asking for forgiveness and repenting and changing. Does that make sense?

When you read his book you find out about his homosexuality. Once again he doesn't go into the nitty gritty that makes people speculate about all the sexual innuendos of a homosexual lifestyle.
About his first wife. He does not tell us if she remarried during that 16 years or not. He just says that she helped him in different ways and that after he remarried that his first and second wife (who by the way had known him thru all of this because she was a good friend of his sisters and knew all his history good and bad) were able to hug and there was no animosity by the first wife to the second wife. I have to assume that the first wife was able to truly forgive him and was a Christian and that was why she was able to help him and to hug the second wife without wanting to be married to him herself, ( if she was even in a position to marry him.)

tb

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Sep 17 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

She has to be a remarkable Christian woman to support her ex-husband emotionally as he struggled with homosexual lifestyle...not every woman can do that....

I do have a better understanding of what Terry McMillian meant in her situation with her now ex-husband. yes.gif

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Sep 13 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]151667[/snapback]

Summertime

What I meant when I said he doesn't tell his story is that he doesn't go into all the nasty details that are better left unsaid. He does tell about his life in general just not in specifics. When he preaches and alludes to his story it is in passing, spending much more time on repentance and change. For example he did not tell us he had been a homosexual in his sermon just said he had lived a very very very bad lifestyle and then told us of his comming to Christ and his asking for forgiveness and repenting and changing. Does that make sense?

When you read his book you find out about his homosexuality. Once again he doesn't go into the nitty gritty that makes people speculate about all the sexual innuendos of a homosexual lifestyle.
About his first wife. He does not tell us if she remarried during that 16 years or not. He just says that she helped him in different ways and that after he remarried that his first and second wife (who by the way had known him thru all of this because she was a good friend of his sisters and knew all his history good and bad) were able to hug and there was no animosity by the first wife to the second wife. I have to assume that the first wife was able to truly forgive him and was a Christian and that was why she was able to help him and to hug the second wife without wanting to be married to him herself, ( if she was even in a position to marry him.)

tb

This post has been edited by simplysaved: Sep 17 2006, 07:18 PM

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
justme
post Sep 19 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,056

Truth Will Triumph Gloriously

Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the
truth may enter in. Isa. 26:2

The truth of God must be enshrined in the heart, and we must be
determined to fight the battles of the Lord, if we would come off
conquerors with the final triumph of the truth; for the truth will
triumph gloriously. . . . If you are seeking to be a blessing to others,
God will bless you. We should bring all the good possible into our
lives, that we may glorify God and be a blessing to humanity.

The church is God's agency for the proclamation of truth, empowered
by Him to do a special work; and if she is loyal to Him, obedient to all
His commandments, there will dwell within her the excellency of divine
grace. If she will be true to her allegiance, if she will honor the Lord
God of Israel, there is no power that can stand against her.

Zeal for God and His cause moved the disciples to bear witness to
the gospel with mighty power. Should not a like zeal fire our hearts
with a determination to tell the story of redeeming love, of Christ and
Him crucified? It is the privilege of every Christian not only to look
for but to hasten the coming of the Saviour.

If the church will put on the robe of Christ's righteousness,
withdrawing from all allegiance with the world, there is before her the
dawn of a bright and glorious day. God's promise to her will stand fast
forever. He will make her an eternal excellency, a joy of many
generations. Truth, passing by those who despise and reject it, will
triumph. Although at times apparently retarded, its progress has never
been checked. When the message of God meets with opposition, He gives it
additional force, that it may exert greater influence. Endowed with
divine energy, it will cut its way through the strongest barriers, and
triumph over every obstacle.

From My Life Today - Page 266

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:26 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church