Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11914&st=165 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:45:02 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions For Joe Smith, for starters: "mansion" & "huge pool"
Ed White
post Dec 29 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #166

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group:
QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Dec 29 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]166386[/snapback]

Just to keep the record straight, from what I read on their web site, the SDA Kinship is a non-profit organization, a ministry not a church. They support former and present gay members of our church and try to educate the denomination about homosexuality.

http://www.sdakinship.org/about.htm

There are all kinds of education classes out there; does this supersede what heaven has already established & have we forgotten what it is? God loves a homosexual, but He hates homosexuality.
To set the record straight it was a 4-member church of Adventist in Hawaii that the GC went after knowing they could not afford any legal bills. Doesn’t common sense tell us that when a church must use the POWER of the state to enforce it decisions & rulings means it is lacking POWER or has none on it’s own? What a sad state to be in, shackled with such a burden to be without power when the bible says, “Is the Lords hand shortened that it cannot save?”

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sister
post Dec 29 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #167

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 762

WHERE IS JOE SMITH AND WHERE ARE THE QUESTIONS FOR HIM?

Joe Smith are you in fact related to Danny Shelton? Perhaps one of his brothers, maybe Ronnie Shelton? Is that why all of your information comes directly from Danny Shelton? Of course I could be wrong... If I am wrong, please correct me. I am just interested in how close you actually are to the principles involved in the 3ABN saga and how direct your source of information is to the actions that have taken place.

+Quote Post
calvin
post Dec 29 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #168

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

Careful Sister, we don't want to get side tracked with the guess the identity game that I warned everyone about. This is what you have accrused others of doing to you that you found annoying.

+Quote Post
sister
post Dec 29 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #169

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(calvin @ Dec 29 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]166399[/snapback]

Careful Sister, we don't want to get side tracked with the guess the identity game that I warned everyone about. This is what you have accrused others of doing to you that you found annoying.

Sorry, Calvin, I just thought Joe and I might know each other, I should have sent a PM. doh.gif

+Quote Post
Observer
post Dec 30 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #170

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

"Ministry" is a properly trademarked name of a monthly publication of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. As such, it cannot be used in a manner that relates to another publication. However, I believe that "ministry" can properly be used in it common generic sense.

Trademarks, copyrights, and such are interesting:

"Liberty" is probably a trademarked name of another publication. Yet, it is also the name of a non-SDA publication that has been used for many years. I doubt that the SDA church could ever prevent the publishers of that magazine from using the name "Liberty."

While the General Conference has trademarked Seventh-day Adventist, and its various forms, there is a Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement, and common usage of Reformed Seventh-day Adventist. These groups have a history that goes back to the early 1900s. I doubt that the General Conference could prevent them from using their name.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Dec 30 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #171

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

If we do not protect our name the name loses all meaning. I don't think any of us would want the name Seventh-Day Adventist to become generic. The name stands for something, if we don't protect is then it would stand for nothing. It's dishonest, and in fact stealing by Biblical standards, for others to use the name without permission.

Richard

+Quote Post
seeshell
post Dec 30 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #172

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,679

Thanks Observer, for the clarification. I did think ministry was an awfully generic sort of word to be able to trademark...kinda like trying to copyright the word carrots. blink.gif

I agree, Richard, that if everyone and anyone with whatever beliefs were using the name it would soon cease to have meaning, so on the one hand I can see having to protect it...on the other hand, it is troubling to see the church hauling folks into court over it. Admittedly, I have no better solution should the offending party refuse to stop using the name. dunno.gif

--------------------
Shelley

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain

"It is not my first object in life to make people like me." Elizabeth Prentiss

"Níor dhún Dia doras riamh nar oscail Sé ceann eile."

+Quote Post
Observer
post Dec 30 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #173

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(seeshell @ Dec 30 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]166473[/snapback]

Thanks Observer, for the clarification. I did think ministry was an awfully generic sort of word to be able to trademark...kinda like trying to copyright the word carrots. blink.gif

I agree, Richard, that if everyone and anyone with whatever beliefs were using the name it would soon cease to have meaning, so on the one hand I can see having to protect it...on the other hand, it is troubling to see the church hauling folks into court over it. Admittedly, I have no better solution should the offending party refuse to stop using the name. dunno.gif

You are correct. Just as "carrots" could not be copyrighted and a generic useage prohibited, the same applies to "ministry."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Dec 30 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #174

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

If the word carrot was the name of a publication of the Carrot Growers Association of America then could they not copywrite the name to prevent the Carrot Growers International from using it for their journal?

Just as the letters SDA can be copywrited to prevent someone to use them for a church but not for other uses?

My last name is Sherwin, I likly could not use it for a paint company but could for a woodworking operation.

Anyhow that is how this uneducated beekeeper understands the law.

Richard

QUOTE(Observer @ Dec 30 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]166532[/snapback]

You are correct. Just as "carrots" could not be copyrighted and a generic useage prohibited, the same applies to "ministry."

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Dec 30 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #175

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(calvin @ Dec 28 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]166068[/snapback]

For those who are not absorbed by this saga and those looking in from the outside, this should appear rather silly that people are spending so much time debating/discussing and arguing the size of a $250,000 home. Why is this relevant and relevant to what?

It's relevant to the fact that folks want to make it out that Linda is living "high on the hog" while Danny is living "like a pauper" putting all his monies back into 3ABN....

Whatever..... dry.gif

All I know is that I scanned through the entire thread. All I saw was a picture of a MickeyD's sign....

1. I ain't seen no pictures of Danny or Linda's homes/houses/dwellings.
2. I ain't seen no pictures of anyone's pool.
3. I don't know the appraised value of anything.
4. I don't see Joe Smith answering a thang.

That is a recap for folks....

Carry on!

snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Observer
post Dec 31 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #176

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Dec 30 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]166537[/snapback]

If the word carrot was the name of a publication of the Carrot Growers Association of America then could they not copywrite the name to prevent the Carrot Growers International from using it for their journal?

Just as the letters SDA can be copywrited to prevent someone to use them for a church but not for other uses?

My last name is Sherwin, I likly could not use it for a paint company but could for a woodworking operation.

Anyhow that is how this uneducated beekeeper understands the law.

Richard

Richard, you are generally correct. However, it is unlikely that you could call a hardware store the Shirwin Williams Hardward Store, even if your name was Sherwin Williams. That situation has already been litigated, not with Sherwin, with similar situations.

In brief: There are situations regarding the useage of trademarks and clpyrights that are clear-cut. And there are those that are not and fall into so-called grey areas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Dec 31 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #177

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Lemmie say it again......
QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Dec 30 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]166612[/snapback]

It's relevant to the fact that folks want to make it out that Linda is living "high on the hog" while Danny is living "like a pauper" putting all his monies back into 3ABN....

Whatever..... dry.gif

All I know is that I scanned through the entire thread. All I saw was a picture of a MickeyD's sign....

That is a recap for folks....

Carry on!

snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Joe Smith
post Dec 31 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #178

Group:
QUOTE(sister @ Dec 29 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]166395[/snapback]

WHERE IS JOE SMITH AND WHERE ARE THE QUESTIONS FOR HIM?

Joe Smith are you in fact related to Danny Shelton? Perhaps one of his brothers, maybe Ronnie Shelton? Is that why all of your information comes directly from Danny Shelton? Of course I could be wrong... If I am wrong, please correct me. I am just interested in how close you actually are to the principles involved in the 3ABN saga and how direct your source of information is to the actions that have taken place.

Sister, you asked if I am related to Danny Shelton. Let me ask you, would it make my testimony more reliable if I were a relative.... or less reliable?? Sometimes being able to hide our true identity makes it possible to speak our hearts more honestly. I think you know what I mean ,sister.
I will say this, I have not known Danny all my life, but have known him many years. I also would see Danny and Linda occationaly during their 20 year marriage. I have been fairly close to 3ABN since the first as I lived in the area. All my info does NOT come from Danny. I can see problems with the testimonies on both sides. Neither side has it exactly right. I'm glad God is the judge and not me. I may have said some things that I believed true, but I may find out that they are only partial trues. Time will tell.

Joe

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Dec 31 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #179

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Slight change.....
QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Dec 30 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]166612[/snapback]

Whatever..... dry.gif

He did answer some stuff - I'm still puzzled by #'s 1-3.

Carry on!

snack.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Dec 31 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #180

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

Yes, Joe, could you please speak to the question regarding what Danny's house was appraised at, how much he actually paid Linda for her half of the house, and how the outstanding loan affected that payment? Then we will be able to verify that he did indeed pay her above the appraised value.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:45 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church