Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13535&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:10:51 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> News Release From Amazing Facts---4-25-07
summertime
post May 11 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,655

I have just finished reading the Questions and Answers about the merger of AF and 3ABN. This was a news release of 4-25-07 put out by Amazing Facts. ---The news release consisted of Frequently Asked Quesitons about the merger. This is noted on Maritime SDA by Daryl Fawcett. According to all the questions noted it leads one to believe that there actually will be very little change in the proposed union.

Q. Estimated timeline for the proposed union?
A. All operations at both ministries will continue as normal for the coming months.

Q. Will AF move to Illinois or 3ABN to Ca?
A: No. They will retain their own campuses.

Q. Will 3ABN be assumed by the SDA denomination?
A. No.. Both will fall under a new board to be led by laity. (Maybe this is the answer)

Q. Will Doug Batchelor be the new president of 3ABN?
A: No. DS is still the president of 3ABN.

Q: Will DB move to Illinois?
A; This is unlikely.

Q: Will AF or 3ABN change their name?
A: THere are no plans for either ministry to lose its identity.

Q: Why unite/partner if so many things will remain the same?
A: Uniting AF and 3ABN will complement each other highly in many areas.

Q: Should monthly support be sent to each ministry the same as always?
A: At this time the finances of both ministries will continue to be run separately. Please continue to give as you always have.

I see very little change and I am wondering why things are going to stay so much the same after much has been made about the merger. I would like to understand this merger(?) in a more knowledgeable way. I want to contribute to Amazing Facts but have ceased giving to 3ABN. So what really is the answer?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
post May 11 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #2

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(summertime @ May 11 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]195122[/snapback]

I have just finished reading the Questions and Answers about the merger of AF and 3ABN. This was a news release of 4-25-07 put out by Amazing Facts. ---The news release consisted of Frequently Asked Questions about the merger. This is noted on Maritime SDA by Daryl Fawcett. According to all the questions noted it leads one to believe that there actually will be very little change in the proposed union.

Q. Estimated time-line for the proposed union?
A. All operations at both ministries will continue as normal for the coming months.

Q. Will AF move to Illinois or 3ABN to Ca?
A: No. They will retain their own campuses.

Q. Will 3ABN be assumed by the SDA denomination?
A. No.. Both will fall under a new board to be led by laity. (Maybe this is the answer)

Q. Will Doug Bachelor be the new president of 3ABN?
A: No. DS is still the president of 3ABN.

Q: Will DB move to Illinois?
A; This is unlikely.

Q: Will AF or 3ABN change their name?
A: There are no plans for either ministry to lose its identity.

Q: Why unite/partner if so many things will remain the same?
A: Uniting AF and 3ABN will complement each other highly in many areas.

Q: Should monthly support be sent to each ministry the same as always?
A: At this time the finances of both ministries will continue to be run separately. Please continue to give as you always have.

I see very little change and I am wondering why things are going to stay so much the same after much has been made about the merger. I would like to understand this merger(?) in a more knowledgeable way. I want to contribute to Amazing Facts but have ceased giving to 3ABN. So what really is the answer?

I had to decide not to give to either entity. Not to 3ABN until Management, accounting and culture changes.

I am putting AF on hold waiting for more information.

I do not believe the two entities are sing from the same sheet music. Yet, I believe AF speaks what they believe is truth. This was a very hard choice. We as humans, tend to believe those we love. Yeah, even our children. Then the day comes when you begin to see that all is not as you thought after all. Yeah, even with children.

We actually are esteeming one above the other and don't even realize we are doing it! AF will get my donations when I am 100% sure they have all the needed information to make a knowledgeable decision, and when I know that 3ABN will not get one penny of my donations until changes are made at 3ABN.

I honestly believe AF is not aware of all the facts. I can't throw stones at them because, contrary to common belief, dunno.gif roflmao.gif I don't know everything, especially legal cases! I took several classes in law and even studied federal cases of IRS findings, I have never dealt with State law!

However, I do understand accounting and can read what is in print. We all can understand that.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 11 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #3

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Fran @ May 11 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]195128[/snapback]

I had to decide not to give to either entity. Not to 3ABN until Management, accounting and culture changes.

I am putting AF on hold waiting for more information.

I do not believe the two entities are sing from the same sheet music. Yet, I believe AF speaks what they believe is truth. This was a very hard choice. We as humans, tend to believe those we love. Yeah, even our children. Then the day comes when you begin to see that all is not as you thought after all. Yeah, even with children.

We actually are esteeming one above the other and don't even realize we are doing it! AF will get my donations when I am 100% sure they have all the needed information to make a knowledgeable decision, and when I know that 3ABN will not get one penny of my donations until changes are made at 3ABN.

I honestly believe AF is not aware of all the facts. I can't throw stones at them because, contrary to common belief, dunno.gif roflmao.gif I don't know everything, especially legal cases! I took several classes in law and even studied federal cases of IRS findings, I have never dealt with State law!

However, I do understand accounting and can read what is in print. We all can understand that.

Very perseptive of you Summertime....you are catching on.

And Fran, I agree and am doing the same thing. I have already written db and told him so.
I can't say with certainty that AF is not aware of all the facts; you would have to assume that is true because you wouldn't think db would walk into this with eyes wide open. But, it really does depend on a persons motive (who ever they may be, and where ever they may be). Nothing would suprise me anymore, nothing.

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
mozart
post May 11 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,207

what i got out of summertime's post was that AF is being just as secretive and evasive as WT, etal. so, why tell us about anything at all if you are not really telling us anything at all? it makes me feel like they are all playing me for a fool. furious.gif scratchchin.gif

as for contributions, i decided long ago that my tithe goes for orphans and widows (Reach, Int'l) and a small ministry that i truly believe in. (www.shepherdscall.com) and to the Groves,TX. local church "rebuilding" budget (church destroyed in hurricane rita)
we give offerings for our local church budget and school where we are now living as well as a portion for buying books to distribute ourselves; mainly "the great controversy" and "finding peace within" (a version of steps to Christ with half the book being STC and the other half being questions with scripture answers) and a non-Adventist booklet titled "how to be free from bitterness" by Jim Wilson. (an amazing little book)

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 11 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]195129[/snapback]

Very perseptive of you Summertime....you are catching on.

And Fran, I agree and am doing the same thing. I have already written db and told him so.
I can't say with certainty that AF is not aware of all the facts; you would have to assume that is true because you wouldn't think db would walk into this with eyes wide open. But, it really does depend on a persons motive (who ever they may be, and where ever they may be). Nothing would suprise me anymore, nothing.

This post has been edited by mozart: May 12 2007, 11:15 AM

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 11 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #5

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(mozart @ May 11 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]195132[/snapback]

what i got out of summertime's post was that AF is being just as secretive and evasive as WT, etal. so, why tell us about anything at all if you are not really telling us anything at all? it makes me feel like they are all playing me for a fool. furious.gif scratchchin.gif

as for contributions, i decided long ago that my tithe goes for orphans and widows and a couple of small ministries that i truly believe in. my offering goes to local church budget and for buying books to distribute; mainly "the great controversy" and "finding peace within" (a version of steps to Christ with half the book being STC and the other half being questions with scripture answers) and a non-Adventist booklet titled "how to be free from bitterness" by Jim Wilson. (an amazing little book)

I hear you Mo....I have said it before, and I will say it again (and maybe once or twice again someday) they underestimate the thinking sda. Guess they will have to learn the hard way.

I too have sent my tithe to other ministries (orphans too) that are sda that I KNOW are using it correctly. I feel ministry is ministry. Some would not agree, I'm sure. But that's ok. I don't mind if they don't agree. I haven't given too much to my local church, there are reasons for that, but, I have contributed to the "new building" fund a few times...fun seeing those little kids collect your dollar bills on their way up to the childrens story and put it all in the little glass (see thru) model of a church...symbolic, isn't it?

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: May 11 2007, 11:29 PM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
summertime
post May 12 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

Because of health reasons I decided to stay home today from church and listen to the Sabbath School on Safe TV by DB and his son Stephen. FOr some reason, because of the way this merger has been made public, I could not feel as trusting DB as I always have. It bothered me a lot. Does he really agree with all the things that have been spouted by DS and have decided to come to his rescue? Or is this merger an example of two entities being unequally yoked together? Why have they made this merger information available to the public if there is really not going to be an effort to make wrongs right? Adding the name of Amazing Facts and DB to the wrongs that we have been watching in the person of Danny SHelton really does not make everything moral and understandably fair.

Maybe sometime in the future we will understand the reason for this merger. Does Amazing Facts feel that merging will be an honest way of being provided more sattelite exposure for the Word of God? Or is this a way of forming the largest Christian station being aired by sattelite? As for my contributions---they will remain in my own home church until I see how this all plays out.

+Quote Post
runner4him
post May 12 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(summertime @ May 12 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]195164[/snapback]

Because of health reasons I decided to stay home today from church and listen to the Sabbath School on Safe TV by DB and his son Stephen. FOr some reason, because of the way this merger has been made public, I could not feel as trusting DB as I always have. It bothered me a lot. Does he really agree with all the things that have been spouted by DS and have decided to come to his rescue? Or is this merger an example of two entities being unequally yoked together? Why have they made this merger information available to the public if there is really not going to be an effort to make wrongs right? Adding the name of Amazing Facts and DB to the wrongs that we have been watching in the person of Danny SHelton really does not make everything moral and understandably fair.

Maybe sometime in the future we will understand the reason for this merger. Does Amazing Facts feel that merging will be an honest way of being provided more sattelite exposure for the Word of God? Or is this a way of forming the largest Christian station being aired by sattelite? As for my contributions---they will remain in my own home church until I see how this all plays out.

I agree...the merger announcement without any clarification is very troubling and just raises more questions for me and many supporters. The lawsuit is another issue...how can DB support a move like that....suing fellow Christians and keeping those who are being sued muzzled? My contributions are also going locally and to the needy...places where I can see how they are being used for the Gospel.

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 24 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #8

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

I have been asked to post a series of email exchanges between an inquiring mind here at BSDA and James Pedersen who is president of the Northern California Conference. I am doing this with the emailed permission of both parties to the exchange. I will post the exchanges edited only to avoid disclosing any bsda member identities.

To: jpedersen@ncc.adventist.org
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: Amazing Facts

Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking my call this afternoon and providing me with the information about Amazing Facts and their relationship with the conference.

I am not certain that I got everything straight so I thought I would email you to verify.

What I understand from you is that Amazing Facts is:

1. A part of the NCC, but actually "under the umbrella" of the conference.
2. The NCC oversees the ministry
2. Amazing Facts has their own separate Board of Directors
3. The NCC provides credentials to Amazing Facts
4. The NCC provides certificates for Amazing Facts
5. When Amazing Facts merges with 3abn, they will no longer be under the NCC umbrella. That relationship will cease.

Is this information correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

One further question I would like to ask is, does the NCC provide financial support for Amazing
Facts?

Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:25 PM

Hi, nice to chat with you. Let me respond with some clarifications to the AF questions you raise.

Amazing Facts is listed in the NAD Yearbook under the Northern California Conference. That makes them an official SDA entity, with ties to NCC — “under the umbrella” of NCC.
Amazing Facts has its own separate board of directors. Thus, the NCC does not directly oversee the ministry. As NCC President, I chair the AF board, as per the AF Bylaws. However, the constituency of AF is technically made up of a majority of NCC members.
As a SDA entity, AF leaders and evangelists are entitled to receive SDA credentials. Currently, those credentials are issued by the Pacific Union Conference, not NCC.
I’m not sure what “certificates” you make reference to. Please clarify.
If AF and 3ABN actually merge, there would be a new constituency and a new board, which would take them out from under the umbrella of the NCC, as I understand it.
There is no direct financial support from NCC to AF. They handle their own payroll, raise their own funds, etc.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me again as needed.

Best wishes,

Jim
--
James E. Pedersen
President
Northern California Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
401 Taylor Blvd.
P.O. Box 23165
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
925-685-4300 x1200
jpedersen@ncc.adventist.org

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 24 2007, 10:09 AM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
IMM
post May 24 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,938

...interesting...

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 24 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #10

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(IMM @ May 24 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]196678[/snapback]

...interesting...

To: Jim Pedersen
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:19 AM

Good morning Jim,

You mentioned that the constituency of AF is "made up of a majority of NCC members". I was wondering who this constituency is. Are they representatives of other ministries, NCC churches, SDA business people, NCC leadership, or?

Has this constituency already approved the proposed merger between AF and 3abn?

Will you still be a board member if AF and 3abn actually merge?

I have been blessed by the ministry of Doug Batchelor and Amazing Facts for years but know little about the actual organization. I and many others are watching this merger news with great interest (and lots of questions).

Have a Blessed Sabbath

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:55 AM

Hello, here are the brief answers.

1. The AF constituency is made up of the AF Board, the NCC Executive Committee, a specified number of pastors and laypeople from NCC, some representatives from the Pacific Union Conference, and a designated number of other people that AF & NCC choose. The majority of these individuals are from NCC.

2. The AF constituency has not yet been convened to approve this proposed merger. I believe that would happen when all the pieces are in place.

3. I do not know if I will still be a member of the newly formed board.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Jim Pedersen

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 24 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #11

500 + posts
Group Icon

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 7:35 AM
Subject: Another Question

Hi Jim,

I meant to ask you this in my last email but it slipped my mind.

Are you familiar with an online publication called Adventist Today? I am not familiar with their views or reputation so I really don't know if what they report is accurate news or not. As a Seventh-day Adventist leader, do you have an opinion about their credibility?

The reason for my question is that an acquaintance recently sent me an email story by Adventist Today that reported numerous shocking details and allegations against some of the leadership of 3abn. Have you read the story? I don't have it in my Inbox any longer but could probably get another copy from my acquaintance if you have not seen it.

It would be very helpful to know your perspective on Adventist Today so I could know what to do with the information contained in that article.

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: Another Question

Hi,

In addition to the official SDA publications (i.e., Adventist Review, Signs of the Times, etc.), there are a number of private SDA publications, each representing a particular viewpoint about the church. One such publication is Adventists Affirm (www.adventisaffirm.org) which represents more of the conservative view of the SDA church. Another one is Adventist Today (www.atoday.com) which represents more of the progressive view of the church. Both of them have valid information, however they will both tend to filter their information through their particular viewpoint.

As president, I’m on the mailing list for both of these publications and I glance at them from time to time. Each of them has helpful information. And I believe they both endeavor to be as accurate as possible in any information that they disseminate.

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes,
Jim Pedersen

Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: Amazing Facts 3abn merger

Dear Jim,

Thank you so much for your perspective on Adventist Today. I had not heard of Adventist Affirm but went to their website and saw an article by David Asscherick in the current issue of their publication. I really enjoy watching David's sermons and series and guess I didn't know he was considered a conservative. I have also been so blessed by ministers who are likely considered fairly liberal. I suppose that puts me into the category of being a moderately liberal Seventh-day Adventist Christian with both progressive and conservative overtones who enjoys hearing messages of truth and the good news of salvation no matter where on the political spectrum the particular vessel of the Lord's Word is standing. I couldn't resist that. It is my opinion that each of us needs to listen for the message and blessing the Holy Spirit has in store for us anytime one of God's ordained opens His Word. I find it such a shame when we get distracted by minutia and miss the meal.

I was most pleased to learn that you are the chair of the Amazing Facts board of directors, for that means that you are most likely the best person for me to approach for answers about some concerns that I have. Late in 2006 a local friend who personally knows both Danny and Linda Shelton, the co-founders of 3abn, shared with me some troubling information that she was told about two of the Shelton brothers, Tommy and Danny. To that date I had made it a point to stay completely away from any public speculation about issues involving the Shelton's divorce or problems concerning 3abn. I have been so blessed by many of the programs they have aired over recent years. However, considering the vehement manner in which my friend relayed specific allegations of sexual abuse by both Tommy and Danny Shelton, first to my adult daughter who was just becoming connected to our church body, and then to me, I decided to do some research in an attempt to disprove the claims she was making.

I began reading through material on a forum that she had referred me to, BlackSDA.com, carefully attempting to verify or refute each claim that I found. My friend forwarded emails to me that she had recieved from Gailon Arthur Joy that contained dialogues between himself and several of the leadership of 3abn. While I was not pleased with some of Mr. Joy's investigative tactics, I have to admit that the emails further raised specific concerns in the area of allegations of sexual misconduct by Tommy Shelton and the appearance that Danny had attempted to cover up the behavior by various means when Gailon's emails introduced the infamous May 2003 "Dryden Letter" sent to the 3abn board chairman, Walt Thompson, MD.

1. The Glenn Dryden letter sent to Walt Thompson, MD May 14, 2003
http://www.save3abn.com/glenn-dryden-to-wa...on-may-2003.htm

2. 3abn attorney, Mike Riva's, letter of response to Glenn Dryden, June 13, 2003
http://www.save3abn.com/mike-riva-to-glenn...n-june-2003.htm

3. Glenn Dryden's reply, June 20, 2003
http://www.save3abn.com/glenn-drydens-repl...a-june-2003.htm

4. Glenn Dryden announces that there are three instances of misconduct in Dunne Loring, VA, one who was a minor at the time, December 3, 2006
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-new-...allegations.htm

5. Mike Riva sends another threatening letter, January 5, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/mike-riva-to-dunn-...anuary-2007.htm

This concern became even greater when another investigator, Bob Pickle, began posting signed statements from alleged victims of pastoral sexual abuse:
1. Roger Clem's letter to Tommy Shelton regarding his alleged abuse in 1988 at age 16, written approx. 2004
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-victim-roger-clem.htm - or -
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=162245

2. Brad Dunning, now a pentacostal minister, made this statement on January 4, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...rad-dunning.htm - or -
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=167570

3. Scott Clem, brother of one alleged victim and one admitted victim of pastoral sexual abuse, made this statement on January 7, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...em-response.htm - or -
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=168297

Then, an email confession written by Tommy Shelton and a statement by the victim, Duane Clem, was posted on www.save3abn.com:
Tommy's email confession to Duane Clem in 2005 was posted on January 8, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-confession.htm

Duane Clem's statements posted on save3abn in late January, 2007:

1. Duane's initial shock to things posted on the internet, December 29, 2006
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...-background.htm

2. His apology to Gailon Joy and Bob Pickle, January 2, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...lem-apology.htm

3. Duane Clem's statement concerning his abuse by Tommy Shelton, January 20, 2007
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...m-statement.htm
After hiding, for around 20 years, the abuse at the hands of the pastor his whole family loved and respected, when Duane Clem finally came forward and publically admitted his victimization, he truly started on a journey. It has been a privilege to surround that young man with love and support through discussion on BlackSDA.com as well as ChristianForums.com where he is standing up for the other alleged victims as well as himself as several people attempt to discredit all of them. It has been a joy to watch him truly begin to come out of his own denial and start to heal.

On February 4, 2007, Sherry Avery submitted a signed statement of an incident she observed first-hand between Tommy Shelton and a young man, as well as the reaction of many individuals once she spoke to some about the incident.
http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...rry-avery-1.htm

Then, shortly after all of these testimonies were posted, Adventist Today published the article about Tommy Shelton's retirement from 3abn and the report of many allegations of sexual abuse.
http://www.atoday.com/email/2007/02/12/

Combining the email confession by Tommy Shelton with all of these signed statements and the AToday article, a very compelling case is made that Duane Clem is not the only victim of pastoral sexual abuse and that there is a strong possibility that Danny Shelton has attempted to cover up his brother's behavior with minimization of his actions and intimidation of both the alleged victims and those attempting to expose the truth. What it shows me is that there is enough evidence to warrant a thorough investigation of these matters to confirm or rebut the claims, and then take the appropriate steps to put these matters to rest.

What does this have to do with you as the chairman of the Amazing Facts board of directors? Since news of the possible merger came out on April 19, many have wondered what Doug Batchelor's position is on the allegations. It was extremely troubling to me to read the forum responses from one man who claim to know Doug personally:

On 4/20/2007 at 4:07PM PDT, steffan said:?I am sorry, I had to post here after hearing all that is being said here. It is too funny not to.?Doug and Danny had a meeting Thursday at 4pm central time with all of the 3abn employees. They were told that this merge would not change any of their positions, work schedules or anything else. Doug made a point to say that he intends to keep his church in Sacramento and still run amazing facts and WOULD NOT have any say in day to day 3abn operations just as Danny will have no say in day to day operations of AF. Except for a merger of the boards and Danny and Doug taking more time to evangelize, most everything will remain as is. Doug and Danny, AF & 3abn will remain 2000 miles apart and will continue business as usual with Danny over 3abn and Doug over AF.?So, all this business of Doug cleaning house or that he doesn't realize what he has gotten himself into is absolutely a huge laugh. He had 20 or so highly respected people on his board advising him as well as Danny's board advising him. AF and 3ABN has worked together closely for years. That is the reason the AF people are not worried about allegations. They know they are false and shrug off the people behind it. To say that Danny was running scared as stated above is, again, crazy. If he was running scared he would have resigned, not expanded, and remained in charge of 3abn.?Not hard people, get a grip. As much as you hate to face it, that is the truth of it. As much as you want to read stuff into it, you can't. It is all good.?http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192236??

On 4/20/2007 at 7:31PM PDT, PeacefullyBewildered said:?Your statement that I have bolded above causes me some concerns. Do you have first hand knowledge from Doug Batchelor and his AF team that they are not worried about allegations and that they know they are false and shrug off the people behind it? Are these statements you have heard for yourself??PB?http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192255?

On 4/20/2007 at 7:57PM PDT, steffan said:?And Yes PB. I did get it firsthand that Doug could care less about the allegations on the internet. Just ask Gailon if Doug would take his call today.?http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192262

4/22/07 at 6:50AM, PDT, steffanphilip said:
I do not need to be told about what Doug thinks. I specifically said, "I know Doug."?http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=34143302#post34143302??

What I would appreciate learning from you is whether or not Doug and Amazing Facts truly do shrug off the allegations that have been raised. Are Doug and Amazing Facts 100% certain that the signed statements and documentation on www.save3abn.com are not true? A merger between 3abn and Amazing Facts could certainly make for a powerful evangelistic force but would it not be prudent to make be sure that all is right behind the scenes at 3abn before finalizing those plans?

Jim, I know this is a lot of information to present you with. I have remained involved with this endeavor only because I believe that the Lord has placed a burden on my heart to see sin exposed and victims, both admitted and alleged, ministered to properly. I have not taken this lightly. I have prayed and sought advice from both the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy and found clear counsel of our duty to reprove sin and the consequences if we neglect to do so.

"The prejudice which has arisen against us because we have reproved the wrongs that God has shown me existed, and the cry that has been raised of harshness and severity, are unjust. God bids us speak, and we will not be silent. If wrongs are apparent among His people, and if the servants of God pass on indifferent to them, they virtually sustain and justify the sinner, and are alike guilty and will just as surely receive the displeasure of God; for they will be made responsible for the sins of the guilty. In vision I have been pointed to many instances where the displeasure of God has been incurred by a neglect on the part of His servants to deal with the wrongs and sins existing among them. Those who have excused these wrongs have been thought by the people to be very amiable and lovely in disposition, simply because they shunned to discharge a plain Scriptural duty. The task was not agreeable to their feelings; therefore they avoided it. {3T 265.2}"

Beware lest you deal harshly with those who you think have made mistakes, while others, more guilty and more deserving of reproof, who should be severely rebuked for their unChristlike conduct, are sustained and treated as friends."--RH Mar. 12, 1895.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider this information and I look forward to hearing your response and perspectives.

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 24 2007, 03:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 24 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #12

500 + posts
Group Icon

Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider this information and I look forward to hearing your response and perspectives.

Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 3:20 PM

Hello, it will take me a while to review all of this and get an answer back to you. I’ve got a really busy week, so it may take me until next week to get back to you on it, in order to give you a rational response. I hope that is ok with you. I’ll try to get to it as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Jim Pedersen

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:38 AM

Hello, I have finally had the time to take a look at the material you’ve sent. It is obvious that there have been several issues behind the scenes at 3ABN, some going back a number of years. My response to you will be rather short, compared with the amount of information that you shared with me. That is not intended to dismiss anything you have shared, but just due to the nature of the on-going discussions, as well as my own lack of knowledge of many of the specific issues involved.

From my working with the AF Board I know that many of the members have questions and concerns about any inappropriate actions on the part of any individual connected with 3ABN. They want to be very careful that nothing is done to tarnish the reputation of AF. While AF may indeed bring credibility to 3ABN, they want to be careful that AF isn’t blind to anything, or get hurt in the merger process.

The AF Board is continuing to have discussions about the merger, and will have a firm say in the process of what is acceptable and what is not from the AF viewpoint. That board will be able to specify what are non-negotiables, etc.

I believe your concerns are valid, and I will attempt to appropriately represent those areas as the AF Board meets.

Thank you for your interest in God’s work. And I know that you’ll continue to make this a matter of prayer, as will we all.

Best wishes,
Jim

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:06 AM

Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to address these concerns. It is reassuring to hear that there are AF Board members who have questions and concerns and don't want AF to be tarnished in the process of the merger. To hear that AF does not want to be blind to anything is also most reassuring!

I am very pleased that you affirm the validity of the concerns I have presented and that you will attempt to appropriately represent them to the AF Board. I join with numerous individuals who are and will continue to be pray that God will direct the Amazing Facts Board of Directors and Doug Batchelor during this process.

If there is anything that I could do to further help in this area, such as put you in touch with folks close to the situation, I would be most willing to do so. Just let me know.

Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 10:44 AM
Subject: It's a small world after all

Dear Jim,

Regarding the AF/3abn merger, your input has been so helpful in answering questions that I have had. I am wondering if you would mind if I would pass the information along to various friends with similar questions and concerns? I believe that sharing the information would put a lot of their speculation and concern to rest.

As I'm sure you are aware, there are many interested parties watching this proposed merger. I, and numerous others, would feel far more comfortable if the new Amazing Facts/3abn ministry were to operate under the umbrella of either the General Conference or the North American Division as Amazing Facts has with the Northern California Conference. In my humble opinion, the oversite that such a relationship would provide would be beneficial to both the merged ministries and our denomination.

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 24 2007, 03:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 24 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #13

500 + posts
Group Icon

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: It's a small world after all

I don’t believe anything I’ve shared with you is confidential in nature. Of course, there’s always a little nervousness in being quoted far and wide! But if some of the answers can help others in their understanding of this process, then I guess I’m ok with your sharing it.

The journey isn’t over yet. There are a lot of discussions that need to take place. But we’re prayerfully taking things step by step.

All the best,
Jim Pedersen

--------------------

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post May 24 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #14

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Wow!! I sure hope the AF board has more clout than the 3ABN board ... if it does, we may see some change after all.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post May 24 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #15

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

The following posts are copied from the information sent to Jim:

On 4/20/2007 at 4:07PM PDT, steffan said:?I am sorry, I had to post here after hearing all that is being said here. It is too funny not to.?Doug and Danny had a meeting Thursday at 4pm central time with all of the 3abn employees. They were told that this merge would not change any of their positions, work schedules or anything else. Doug made a point to say that he intends to keep his church in Sacramento and still run amazing facts and WOULD NOT have any say in day to day 3abn operations just as Danny will have no say in day to day operations of AF. Except for a merger of the boards and Danny and Doug taking more time to evangelize, most everything will remain as is. Doug and Danny, AF & 3abn will remain 2000 miles apart and will continue business as usual with Danny over 3abn and Doug over AF.?So, all this business of Doug cleaning house or that he doesn't realize what he has gotten himself into is absolutely a huge laugh. He had 20 or so highly respected people on his board advising him as well as Danny's board advising him. AF and 3ABN has worked together closely for years. That is the reason the AF people are not worried about allegations. They know they are false and shrug off the people behind it. To say that Danny was running scared as stated above is, again, crazy. If he was running scared he would have resigned, not expanded, and remained in charge of 3abn.?Not hard people, get a grip. As much as you hate to face it, that is the truth of it. As much as you want to read stuff into it, you can't. It is all good.?http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192236??

On 4/20/2007 at 7:31PM PDT, PeacefullyBewildered said:?Your statement that I have bolded above causes me some concerns. Do you have first hand knowledge from Doug Batchelor and his AF team that they are not worried about allegations and that they know they are false and shrug off the people behind it? Are these statements you have heard for yourself??PBhttp://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192255?

On 4/20/2007 at 7:57PM PDT, steffan said:?And Yes PB. I did get it firsthand that Doug could care less about the allegations on the internet. Just ask Gailon if Doug would take his call today.?http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index...dpost&p=192262

4/22/07 at 6:50AM, PDT, steffanphilip said:
I do not need to be told about what Doug thinks. I specifically said, "I know Doug."
?http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=34143302#post34143302??

And now Jim, who certainly knows Doug and the AF Board, states the following:

From my working with the AF Board I know that many of the members have questions and concerns about any inappropriate actions on the part of any individual connected with 3ABN. They want to be very careful that nothing is done to tarnish the reputation of AF. While AF may indeed bring credibility to 3ABN, they want to be careful that AF isn’t blind to anything, or get hurt in the merger process.

The AF Board is continuing to have discussions about the merger, and will have a firm say in the process of what is acceptable and what is not from the AF viewpoint. That board will be able to specify what are non-negotiables, etc.

I believe your concerns are valid, and I will attempt to appropriately represent those areas as the AF Board meets.

IMO, he is quite clearly saying that the concerns that were raised have not been dismissed. These statements should give all of us hope that as far as the Amazing Facts Board of Directors is concerned they are proceeding with eyes wide open in an attitude of prayerfullness!

This post has been edited by PeacefullyBewildered: May 24 2007, 05:37 PM

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:10 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church