Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14131&st=75 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:29:07 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> God Is Blessing Danny Shelton Abroad..., blessing him to "received a celebrity welcome!"
SoulEspresso
post Jul 15 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #76

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,262

Who was it in this community that said,
"If you don't clean up your church, the media will clean it for you."

uhm.gif

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Jul 15 2007, 02:38 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 15 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #77

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

SE, I keep trying to tell them, but they ain't trying to hear me!

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 15 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #78

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Now, I see this as a bit different. The church is clearly identified as a SDA church but they have a meeting that is open to any denom. That maybe a meeting to discuss community involvment, etc. Which has nothing to do with preaching or teaching doctrine. That is entirely different from what 3ABN is doing and pclaiming their whole message and existence ahs absolutely nothing to do with any denom in genreal and SDA in particular.

QUOTE(pacunurse30 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:04 AM) *
I have a serious problem with organizations that present themselves as non-denominational, but have very strong ties to a larger denominational body. There are a number of SDA ministries that do this. I mentioned a few months ago that a church here in the DC area has an afternoon program that is promoted as non-denominational. It's almost as if they are a church that happens to meet in an SDA sanctuary. They really try to deny any affiliation with the denomination. The problem with all of this is, it's not true! The motives behind these claims are deceptive, and they will not work. People aren't stupid. They are trying to get people to accept the message bit by bit while pulling the wool over their eyes. This method is not of God, and I ain't afraid to say it.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
mikell
post Jul 15 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 14 2007, 08:52 AM) *
I believe my grandmother had a Bible signed by HMS Richards, but it could have been one of those VOP study Bibles.

From my position of thinking how wrong it was for Shelton to sign Bibles, looks like could been misguided, in seeing that HMS Richards signed Bibles. If what Richards did and what Shelton is doing is apples to apples, then I stand corrected. However, I myself would never sign any Bible, period, but if others do it, then whom am I to think it is not right to do?

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 15 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #80

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

I'm not saying it was OK for him to do so, just agreeing with the other poster that the signing of Bibles is not at all unprecedented. However my feeling is that HMS Richards would not have signed them in a media frenzy rock star like setting. Humble and HMS Richards went hand in hand from my recollections of him. Humble and Danny Shelton would be another story all together IMO. So no, to compare Richards and Shelton are not apples to apples. More like a bitter lemon to a sweet naval orange smile.gif

Richard

QUOTE(mikell @ Jul 15 2007, 09:30 PM) *
From my position of thinking how wrong it was for Shelton to sign Bibles, looks like could been misguided, in seeing that HMS Richards signed Bibles. If what Richards did and what Shelton is doing is apples to apples, then I stand corrected. However, I myself would never sign any Bible, period, but if others do it, then whom am I to think it is not right to do?

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jul 15 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 15 2007, 07:34 PM) *
I'm not saying it was OK for him to do so, just agreeing with the other poster that the signing of Bibles is not at all unprecedented. However my feeling is that HMS Richards would not have signed them in a media frenzy rock star like setting. Humble and HMS Richards went hand in hand from my recollections of him. Humble and Danny Shelton would be another story all together IMO. So no, to compare Richards and Shelton are not apples to apples. More like a bitter lemon to a sweet naval orange smile.gif

Richard

amen.gif notworthy.gif
WOW!!! LOVE your visual!!!

Yes I remember HMS Richards. I would NEVER compare DS with HMSR in a positive light except as very opposite.

I have no idea what HMSR wrote in the Bibles he signed. It would be nice to find someone who does have a Bible he signed to find out.

(ps... offtopic2.gif also comparing HMSR with DS about people putting money in each of their pockets for the ministry... discussing honesty and economical issues...not even in the same ballpark)
JMHO

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
pacunurse30
post Jul 16 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,742

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 15 2007, 07:02 PM) *
Now, I see this as a bit different. The church is clearly identified as a SDA church but they have a meeting that is open to any denom. That maybe a meeting to discuss community involvment, etc. Which has nothing to do with preaching or teaching doctrine. That is entirely different from what 3ABN is doing and pclaiming their whole message and existence ahs absolutely nothing to do with any denom in genreal and SDA in particular.

Are you talking about the church that I mentioned in particular? Or are you saying that it's okay for any church to hold meetings that are open to other denoms? In any case, that is not at all what I'm talking about, and that isn't what this particular church is doing. I know for a fact that the original intent for this service was to slowly introduce people to the mainline church. It then morphed into a pseudo non-denominational church of it's own. It was never meant to be just a meeting where everyone was welcome to discuss Jesus in a forum free of doctrinal disputes. Here are some problems that I've noted with the program, and why I think the motives aren't quite what you've described.

1. The pastor who runs the program claims that it is independantly run and self funded. This is false. The "mother church" has a budget for this program. The funds are derived from offerings taken during mid-day services.

2. Those involved in the ministry are to refrain from using SDA "codewords" that would indicate any affiliation with the SDA denomination.

There is nothing wrong with preaching the simple gospel without having to beat people over the head with doctrine. I'm not saying that we always have to be about doctrine. What I am saying is that we cannot pretend to be something that we're not in an effort to appear more "user friendly." Everyone knows that SDAism is viewed as cultish and unorthodox. Therefore a lot of people would immediately be turned off if they knew a radio station/church/program/magazine/website were SDA. So is it okay to hide that fact in order to draw people in? I don't think so. And I don't think it's going to work in the long run.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jul 16 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #83

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(pacunurse30 @ Jul 16 2007, 05:38 PM) *
Are you talking about the church that I mentioned in particular? Or are you saying that it's okay for any church to hold meetings that are open to other denoms? In any case, that is not at all what I'm talking about, and that isn't what this particular church is doing. I know for a fact that the original intent for this service was to slowly introduce people to the mainline church. It then morphed into a pseudo non-denominational church of it's own. It was never meant to be just a meeting where everyone was welcome to discuss Jesus in a forum free of doctrinal disputes. Here are some problems that I've noted with the program, and why I think the motives aren't quite what you've described.
1. The pastor who runs the program claims that it is independantly run and self funded. This is false. The "mother church" has a budget for this program. The funds are derived from offerings taken during mid-day services.

2. Those involved in the ministry are to refrain from using SDA "codewords" that would indicate any affiliation with the SDA denomination.

There is nothing wrong with preaching the simple gospel without having to beat people over the head with doctrine. I'm not saying that we always have to be about doctrine. What I am saying is that we cannot pretend to be something that we're not in an effort to appear more "user friendly." Everyone knows that SDAism is viewed as cultish and unorthodox. Therefore a lot of people would immediately be turned off if they knew a radio station/church/program/magazine/website were SDA. So is it okay to hide that fact in order to draw people in? I don't think so. And I don't think it's going to work in the long run.

Nope, it's not okay. It is nothing less than dishonest trickery, IMO. If we would study why many outsiders view our denomination as cultish, perhaps we would find it due to how we start out wooing them with attempting to appeal to their fear instead of introducing them to the God of Love that has already won the fight for us and desires our companionship and love above all else. The rest can come later, but should not be hidden.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:29 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church