Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14799&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:10:31 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings From Dunn Loring Virginia
Nandina
post Aug 10 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,282

I hope you will forgive my intrusion, as I am not black, nor am I Adventist, but I check the site several times a week, to see if there is further mention of my former pastor, Tommy Shelton. I first became aware of your site in December, when the board at my church informed the congregants of the allegations against TS (though there were some who had known, heard, or suspected for a long while). I only registered tonight so that I could read past the first page on some of the threads, and thought while I was here I would greet you in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Thank you for what you are trying to do. May your motives remain pure ( I have had to examine my own as I push to make something happen so that our church can move past the "sin in the camp" that went on under the past leadership.) I know for you all there is a bigger picture - the whole 3ABN crisis, and the face of the SDA church in general. For me it is on a smaller scale, but nonetheless critical to me and to the church in Dunn Loring... what is it that we want to happen with respect to the past, and will we ever be able to get on with business as usual? Only God knows the right answer, but light is always better than darkness, and truth is always better than lies... this much I know. Bless you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Aug 10 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 10 2007, 10:57 PM) *
I hope you will forgive my intrusion, as I am not black, nor am I Adventist, but I check the site several times a week, to see if there is further mention of my former pastor, Tommy Shelton. I first became aware of your site in December, when the board at my church informed the congregants of the allegations against TS (though there were some who had known, heard, or suspected for a long while). I only registered tonight so that I could read past the first page on some of the threads, and thought while I was here I would greet you in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Thank you for what you are trying to do. May your motives remain pure ( I have had to examine my own as I push to make something happen so that our church can move past the "sin in the camp" that went on under the past leadership.) I know for you all there is a bigger picture - the whole 3ABN crisis, and the face of the SDA church in general. For me it is on a smaller scale, but nonetheless critical to me and to the church in Dunn Loring... what is it that we want to happen with respect to the past, and will we ever be able to get on with business as usual? Only God knows the right answer, but light is always better than darkness, and truth is always better than lies... this much I know. Bless you

Welcome, Nandina!!! Bless you for "introducing" yourself and please, please do not feel that you are intruding!! I also am not black and not really sure whether I am Adventist or not. I just know that I love Jesus dearly and thank Him every day for loving me and not giving up on me!!

I believe you will find a warm welcome here - I know I did. Actually, several of these fine folk have become very dear friends of mine - certainly no accident in His great plan and perfect timing!!

I sense that you have a story connected to all of this. Many do. Some can share, some cannot. Whatever your situation I pray for a satisfying resolution and that you will find the same rewarding experience at BSDA that I have. Please just don't be a stranger!!

Blessings!......and......welcome.gif

~~Snoopy~~

This post has been edited by Snoopy: Aug 10 2007, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Aug 10 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

welcome.gif Nandina,

You are NOT intruding. I am an Adventist but am not black. I also was not sure if it was ok for me to intrude but I was warmly welcomed and found many very dear friends in here.

Thank you very much for the post. I had been wondering how your church has been doing since the letters from your pastor and other members and former members were introduced in this forum and the "Cease and desist" letter was sent to your church. (if you did not receive a "cease" letter I am mistaken... my memory slips occassionally).

Rosyroi biggrin.gif

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
sister
post Aug 10 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #4

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

Nandina, I too would like to welcome you to our online Christian community. Although we fellowship in different denominations we all have the same Savior, Jesus Christ, and the same desire to spend eternity with Him in Heaven.

My heart goes out to all of you at the Dunn Loring Church. The wickedness that was wrought among your congregation by a man who should have been a Shepard to your flock, but instead was a wolf in sheep’s clothing, preying upon the young and innocent among you, is an abomination in the sight of our Lord. It is with sadness that we gather together here, all of us who have been touched by the wicked deeds of one generation of one family and the pain and suffering that they have brought to so many individuals. I pray for everyone that has been touched by this tragedy, that we will not allow our hearts to be hardened by our experiences, but will allow the Holy Spirit to bring us comfort and healing as we deal with “the sin in the camp”. Although, by the grace of God we can have forgiveness for the offenders, they still are held accountable for their actions and will reap the harvest of their sins against God and his children.

God bless you, Nandina, and welcome.

Sister

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Aug 10 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #5

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Nadina, you are so welcome(1).gif here. If we believers don't hang together, we'll all hang separately.

As for me, well, I'm Adventist, but I only wish I were black.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 10 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #6

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

Wecome Nandina!!! As you have probably figured out, you don't have to be black or sda to be part of the BSDA fam! I'm not black, and I'm not sure if I am sda anymore either, but I do love my God very much, and I know He loves me!! That much I am convinced!

I'm so glad you are here! I'm glad you have visited for a time and decided to join and post! You will find wonderful fellowship here, so please feel at home! There are many folk here, like you, that have been affected in some way by just a handful of people, and I pray you will find support here that you might not have thought of! But God in His timing brings things together in the most amazing ways, and this place is one of those amazing "ways", as far as I'm concerned!! We never know all the reasons for things, but we can be amazed by how our God can work all things together still!

May you be blessed and encouraged as you hang out here at this great place! There is so much here at BSDA, be sure to check other forums too!

Sonshineonme smile.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Brenda
post Aug 10 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 1,814

Thank you for your thoughts here, Nandina.

I am SDA but neither Black nor American - but we have the over riding unifying factor of God's love for us and our love for Him and His children.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 10 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #8

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 10 2007, 08:57 PM) *

Nandina,

Welcome to BlackSDA! You are proof that the recent changes the owner of this site recently made are working as he and others thought they would. Calvin decided to only allow first page access to those who are unregistered readers in an attempt to get more to register and become a true part of this community.

As with many others who are in membership here on BSDA, I am not black. I am, however, a part of the one race, the human race, we find mentioned in Acts 17:26:

From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth;

Like you, I am a Christian, a follower of Christ, and I belong to a caring, growing and serving congregation of Seventh-day Adventists.

We have been discussing the allegations of abuse that some have leveled against Tommy Shelton since around the beginning of 2007. The goal of many of us is to discover the truth, whatever that may be. This has also been a subject of investigation by Gailon Arthur Joy and Bob Pickle. They have posted documentation and testimonies over on www.save3abn.com.

I would ask you how you found this particular site. Did your board inform you of BSDA when they first made your congregation aware of the allegations? Did someone else direct you here?

What do you wish to see happen in your church? Another question this raises for me is, has your church board been investigating further the allegations they spoke of and that have obviously disrupted normalcy within your congregation?

I agree that our motives must be pure, and for everyone involved I pray for truth to prevail.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Clay
post Aug 11 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #9

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

On behalf of the staff here at BSDA, welcome, make yourself at home, and if you choose never to post again (we would hope that's not the case) know that you are a part of the family..... again welcome...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 11 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #10

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 10 2007, 09:57 PM) *

Nandina, I am SDA clergy. But, I am Caucasion, not African American. You are indeed welcome here. Our commonalities exceed our differences. We are glad to have you.

This post has been edited by Observer: Aug 11 2007, 07:14 AM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
WillowRun
post Aug 11 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,191

I hope you will forgive my intrusion, as I am not black, nor am I Adventist,

Welcome Nandina! I am not black, but I am SDA. BSDA is a wonderful group of folks! I hope to see you again!

+Quote Post
Fstpicker
post Aug 11 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,979

A hearty welcome to you Nandina, from this infrequent poster as well! It is nice to hear from someone coming from another community of faith outside of our own. Your perspective is welcome and refreshing. You are accepted as a fellow sister in Christ, as we all are, regardless of our denominational affiliation. I'm thankful that Jesus won't ask us what church we come from when we get to heaven. I hope and pray that others will know that we are Christians simply by our love, as the first disciples were known.

God bless you and your church family.

Jeff

This post has been edited by Fstpicker: Aug 11 2007, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
Ian
post Aug 11 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 10 2007, 09:57 PM) *

Hi Nandina,

I appreciate you posting here. I am sure you will not be surprized to find that some of us are wanting to know the facts concerning all this and not sure who to contact or how. Your arrival is a answer to prayer as far as I am concerned.

All many of us know regarding the Church in Dunn Loring Virginia, is that it is a Church of God which Tommy Shelton previously Pastored and that it's current Pastor Glenn Dryden has made allegations against Mr Shelton. We do not know any specifics about anything in Virginia.

We do know a Cease and Desist Letter was sent to Pastor Dryden by Attorneys and that your Church board was looking in to all this, but really nothing other then that. (Possibly others may know more but have kept it to themselves)

WWW.save3abn has published a letter where Mr Shelton's license was suspended but no follow up documents, or inquiies so I have already made my own inquiries about the follow up and conclusions of the Illinois committee who suspended Tommy Shelton's ministerial licence in the 80s pending their investigation, and am waiting to hear back from them. I understand from initial inquiries that the Ezra Church of God (where all this began) in not their jurisdiction anymore.

But that is all in Illinois.

As you are a member in the Virginia Church maybe you can help.

Does the Dunn Loring Church have some kind of governing body or organization which oversees your Churches which we could contact? If so, what is the name of it and do you know how to contact them?

Can you also furnish a e-mail address where we can contact your Church board for an update and statement regarding all this? Who would be the person in charge or best person to contact, other the your Pastor as this controversy concerns him also.? Even a phone number would help.

I for one, with their permission, would be willing to publish their comments, and any statement they may wish to make, or any release of information here.

And finally, can you personally tell us the status of the inquiries nd investigation going on in your Church as far as both Tommy Shelton, and Glenn Dryden are concerned?

If you are not willing to do so, I will understand but thought it worth asking. smile.gif

If you are not willing or cannot provide names, numbers or addresses of contacts publicly, that I will also understand, but please do send me a private message with any information you can and I will keep it confidential.

All, or any of this would be extremely helpful.

I Thank you in advance.

In the Love of our Lord,
Ian

This post has been edited by Ian: Aug 11 2007, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Aug 11 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

A hearty welcome to you Nandina, from this infrequent poster as well! It is nice to hear from someone coming from another community of faith outside of our own. Your perspective is welcome and refreshing. You are accepted as a fellow sister in Christ, as we all are, regardless of our denominational affiliation. I'm thankful that Jesus won't ask us what church we come from when we get to heaven. I hope and pray that others will know that we are Christians simply by our love, as the first disciples were known.

God bless you and your church family.

Jeff
how thoughtful and sincere...if only more would be like this!

+Quote Post
ex3ABNemployee
post Aug 11 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,722

Hello, Nandina. Allow me to welcome you here as well. I am neither black nor SDA, but I have found a lot of new friends here.

As you may know, I attended Ezra under both Tommy Shelton's and Glenn Dryden's pastorates. I have also issued a statement regarding what happened between myself and Tommy. It can be found at http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-vict...m-statement.htm if you haven't seen it. If you have any questions for me, or any information you think may be helpful, please feel free to contact me, by private message if you wish. Like many others have said, I feel you can give a new perspective on the events of the past few years. Thank you for your willingness to join us here. Please don't be a stranger!

--------------------
Duane Clem

It's not about religion, it's about a relationship.

Gems of Wisdom
"Lisa and Ronda are not Danny's biological father." -- wwjd, 2/8/07
"Watchbird, The facts prove the above lie." -- wwjd, 2/13/07
"Another lie that can be proven..." -- Bystander, 3/18/07
"The thing about lies is they can be proven." -- Aletheia, 3/22/07
"I am not here to argue" -- Aletheia, 4/24/07
"She didn't move to 3ABN, she moved to Illinois" -- Aletheia, 4/25/07
"Hope is liberal. 3abn is not." -- steffan, 6/9/07
"Danny Shelton does not decide what goes on the air, period." -- appletree, 8/22/07

http://www.save-3abn.com/
http://www.investigating3abn.info/
http://rescue3abn.blog.com/
http://www.abundantrest.org/?p=74
http://abundantrest.org/2007/02/18/3abn-sa...ons-retirement/
http://anewsabbathschool.blogspot.com/2006...ain-wrecks.html
http://cafesda.blogspot.com/2006/08/atoday...bn-news_21.html
http://www.atoday.com/email/2007/02/12/
http://spectrummagazine.typepad.com/the_sp...eans_and_e.html

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:10 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church