Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14799&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:14:46 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings From Dunn Loring Virginia
Nandina
post Aug 11 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,282

[quote name='ex3ABNemployee' post='209612' date='Aug 11 2007, 09:56 PM']Hello, Nandina. Allow me to welcome you here as well. I am neither black nor SDA, but I have found a lot of new friends here.

This post has been edited by Nandina: Aug 11 2007, 09:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nandina
post Aug 11 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #17

OOPS, sorry, clearly I have no idea how this works, so I will try again... thank you all for your warm welcome and your kind words of encouragement!
To answer a couple of questions -
re: a governing body or council - no, our church is "independent" in that regard, and we are loosely affiliated with other like-minded independent churches. I will give some thought as to who, other than Pastor Dryden, might be a good contact person.
re: inquiries/investigations, it is my understanding that contact has been made with Pastor Dryden by some people who were victimized by TS, and who evidently, for the time being, wish to remain anonymous. This makes it somewhat dice-y, and I would say that for the moment we are at somewhat of an impasse. The Sheltons have been apprised of our church's concerns, and to my knowledge have neither confirmed nor denied the things that have been said. They have sent letters (several months ago) to many of our congregants seeking support, more or less, with a sort of, Hey, this is crazy, you know us better than that..." flavor.
There are those in Dunn Loring who have maintained strong bonds of friendship with the Sheltons since they left, and are loath to believe there is even an ounce of truth to any of this. Others of us, whether friends or parishioners during their tenure, have heard too many things to chalk it up to coincidence. Too many inappropriate things and/or conversations took place, which unfortunately each person viewed as an isolated incident, and held their opinions to themselves. Now in light of all we have found out, other people have compared stories, and there is a definite trail of "not-quite-right" wending its way through his time at our church.
However, I am not a board member, just a disappointed person who wonders what, if anything, will "fix" things in VA.
Ian, you asked the status of our investigation with Pastor Dryen, if I am reading your question right? We are not investigating him for any reason. I am not sure where it stands with the cease and desist letter, though I am certain our board has discussed it extensively.
Someone also asked what we would like to see at our church - Best case scenario, I would personally like to see Tommy Shelton come forward, of his own accord, wringing his hands at the realization of the pain he has caused and the damage he has done, saying "Woe is me, I am undone". I would like him to confess to deception, lying, and sexual immorality, and I would like him to beg for help because he knows he is helpless to overcome this terrible problem. I would like to be able to believe that and be so moved that I could say, I will help you! I would like him to go to his victims, and confess. To the church in Illinois and confess. To his family and confess. Is that scenario likely, or reasonable? Not so much. But God is awesome, and He is not willing for any to perish, even TS...
Well, goodnight, blacksda, I will think on all you've said, and the information you seek!

+Quote Post
Ian
post Aug 11 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

deleted reply- thinking and praying about how to reply here un-offensively.

This post has been edited by Ian: Aug 11 2007, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Aug 11 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #19

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Ian @ Aug 11 2007, 08:23 PM) *
deleted reply- thinking and praying about how to reply here un-offensively.

That is commendable.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Aug 11 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #20

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(beartrap @ Aug 11 2007, 09:58 PM) *
That is commendable.

yes.gif mellow.gif

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Whtz Happenin
post Aug 11 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 10 2007, 11:57 PM) *
I hope you will forgive my intrusion, as I am not black, nor am I Adventist, but I check the site several times a week, to see if there is further mention of my former pastor, Tommy Shelton. I first became aware of your site in December, when the board at my church informed the congregants of the allegations against TS (though there were some who had known, heard, or suspected for a long while). I only registered tonight so that I could read past the first page on some of the threads, and thought while I was here I would greet you in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Thank you for what you are trying to do. May your motives remain pure ( I have had to examine my own as I push to make something happen so that our church can move past the "sin in the camp" that went on under the past leadership.) I know for you all there is a bigger picture - the whole 3ABN crisis, and the face of the SDA church in general. For me it is on a smaller scale, but nonetheless critical to me and to the church in Dunn Loring... what is it that we want to happen with respect to the past, and will we ever be able to get on with business as usual? Only God knows the right answer, but light is always better than darkness, and truth is always better than lies... this much I know. Bless you

welcome(1).gif Nandina!
I am sure you will find a lot here in common with the folks here at BSDA, with Jesus being at the top of the list.

There are lots of statements about the incidences that involve TS and as a result I started a thread to attempt to collect them in one place in order to comprehend how many alleged victims may exist. There is not anything in my post that has not been said elsewhere.

How Many Alleged Victims Of Tommy Shelton? 25+?, Rough Draft of List of Alleged Victims/Timeline
http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=180258

I invited anyone to provide information to make the posting as accurate as possible. Some have posted helpful information, but the most troubling is that no one has provided information to refute the accusations.

If you see anything that may be incorrect or added to, please post within that thread. I am sure we would like to find out that all of this is not true, but unfortunately there are way too many coincidences to provide much hope for this.

Please feel welcome to share your heart, but we understand that things are still ongoing and would not want to jeopardize an investigation, if one is being made.

There are prayers being lifted up around the world for your congregation in VA, as well as for Duane and all the other IL (alleged) victims and TS. The effects of this not only involves the gentlemen directly (allegedly) victimized, but reaches deep into the hearts of all of the people that feel betrayed and hurt by the harmful actions. Praise God that healing and forgiveness is available to all who will accept.

God Bless!

PS Check out "My Controls" near the top and you can select "Board Settings." One feature I like is setting the number of posts and topics to "40."

+Quote Post
ex3ABNemployee
post Aug 12 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,722

QUOTE(Nandina @ Aug 11 2007, 10:12 PM) *
OOPS, sorry, clearly I have no idea how this works, so I will try again... thank you all for your warm welcome and your kind words of encouragement!
To answer a couple of questions -
re: a governing body or council - no, our church is "independent" in that regard, and we are loosely affiliated with other like-minded independent churches. I will give some thought as to who, other than Pastor Dryden, might be a good contact person.
re: inquiries/investigations, it is my understanding that contact has been made with Pastor Dryden by some people who were victimized by TS, and who evidently, for the time being, wish to remain anonymous. This makes it somewhat dice-y, and I would say that for the moment we are at somewhat of an impasse. The Sheltons have been apprised of our church's concerns, and to my knowledge have neither confirmed nor denied the things that have been said. They have sent letters (several months ago) to many of our congregants seeking support, more or less, with a sort of, Hey, this is crazy, you know us better than that..." flavor.
There are those in Dunn Loring who have maintained strong bonds of friendship with the Sheltons since they left, and are loath to believe there is even an ounce of truth to any of this. Others of us, whether friends or parishioners during their tenure, have heard too many things to chalk it up to coincidence. Too many inappropriate things and/or conversations took place, which unfortunately each person viewed as an isolated incident, and held their opinions to themselves. Now in light of all we have found out, other people have compared stories, and there is a definite trail of "not-quite-right" wending its way through his time at our church.
However, I am not a board member, just a disappointed person who wonders what, if anything, will "fix" things in VA.
Ian, you asked the status of our investigation with Pastor Dryen, if I am reading your question right? We are not investigating him for any reason. I am not sure where it stands with the cease and desist letter, though I am certain our board has discussed it extensively.
Someone also asked what we would like to see at our church - Best case scenario, I would personally like to see Tommy Shelton come forward, of his own accord, wringing his hands at the realization of the pain he has caused and the damage he has done, saying "Woe is me, I am undone". I would like him to confess to deception, lying, and sexual immorality, and I would like him to beg for help because he knows he is helpless to overcome this terrible problem. I would like to be able to believe that and be so moved that I could say, I will help you! I would like him to go to his victims, and confess. To the church in Illinois and confess. To his family and confess. Is that scenario likely, or reasonable? Not so much. But God is awesome, and He is not willing for any to perish, even TS...
Well, goodnight, blacksda, I will think on all you've said, and the information you seek!

Well said. Thank you for saying what I have been trying to say on here for a long time. This post more closely reflects my true feelings toward Tommy than anything his defenders try to apply to me.

God is able.

--------------------
Duane Clem

It's not about religion, it's about a relationship.

Gems of Wisdom
"Lisa and Ronda are not Danny's biological father." -- wwjd, 2/8/07
"Watchbird, The facts prove the above lie." -- wwjd, 2/13/07
"Another lie that can be proven..." -- Bystander, 3/18/07
"The thing about lies is they can be proven." -- Aletheia, 3/22/07
"I am not here to argue" -- Aletheia, 4/24/07
"She didn't move to 3ABN, she moved to Illinois" -- Aletheia, 4/25/07
"Hope is liberal. 3abn is not." -- steffan, 6/9/07
"Danny Shelton does not decide what goes on the air, period." -- appletree, 8/22/07

http://www.save-3abn.com/
http://www.investigating3abn.info/
http://rescue3abn.blog.com/
http://www.abundantrest.org/?p=74
http://abundantrest.org/2007/02/18/3abn-sa...ons-retirement/
http://anewsabbathschool.blogspot.com/2006...ain-wrecks.html
http://cafesda.blogspot.com/2006/08/atoday...bn-news_21.html
http://www.atoday.com/email/2007/02/12/
http://spectrummagazine.typepad.com/the_sp...eans_and_e.html

+Quote Post
appletree
post Aug 12 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,244

QUOTE(ex3ABNemployee @ Aug 12 2007, 07:09 AM) *
Well said. Thank you for saying what I have been trying to say on here for a long time. This post more closely reflects my true feelings toward Tommy than anything his defenders try to apply to me.

God is able.

Since Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy claim to "be in the know" about everything, I am shocked that there has not been one mention of Tommy's emergency heart surgery 2 weeks ago. After a stay and discharge in his small local hospital he was taken back a few days later and eventually taken by ambulance to a larger hospital where he underwent a heart cath that resulted in 2 more stints being inserted in his heart. That is a total of 4 with one massive heart attack and 2 emergency procedures to stop a heart attack. Most that know the inside situation feel certain he only survived this last procedure because of prayer intervention by many. Several of his family did not expect to see him come out of the procedure alive. All of this is a result of uncontrollable blood pressure due to the extreme stress these internet sites have caused. He his wife and children live with the internet accusations & repurcussions everyday. Ex 3abn you were replying to the post above yours where someone stated they just wanted to see him apologize to people to his family and so on. I believe you said you received one personally and in an email that addressed some particular accusations. Otherwise how can you or this poster know anything of what has been done or not done where his family is concerned, or where God is concerned. This person claims to know it all and yet, 2 of the board members at Dun Loring said they have yet to know any names of these supposed victims. This is why the meetings there have brought no answers, and no results after convening time and again. They keep hearing of accusations but after all this time no one has stepped forward to share any specifics at these board meetings. The end result is a meeting where the conversation runs aimlessly and nothing gets accomplished. Of course Glen Dryden chairs these meetings.
The above poster says Tommy should go there and explain, apologize and so on, yet none of Tommy's family have been apprised of who these people are and what they profess happened. How can anyone defend themselves against the unknown. Before this last heart emergency Tommy's family had kept in contact with 2 dunloring board members and repeatedly ask what he was being accused of. They don't have answers to this day.
For those that believe he is guilty and should be punished for every accusation made against him, you should all be happy that justice has been done for what you "believe" him to be guilty of. His life is in ruins. He has been humiliated in front of the whole world. He will probably never again perform musically because of this and worst of all ,his health is to a point that his very life is at risk on a daily basis. I am told that when he was brought into the emergency room that his blood pressure was 260/160. Anyone that knows anything about health knows a person cannot live with that kind of continual stress to the heart. He is now, a physically sick and broken man . For those of you who believe everything you have read, is this not punishment enough? Or, should Pickle, Joy and all the rest keep pushing until he's dead? Then the question would remain, would even death be enough to satisfy some?

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 13 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(appletree @ Aug 12 2007, 10:27 PM) *
All of this is a result of uncontrollable blood pressure due to the extreme stress these internet sites have caused.

Was that the doctor's final determination?

Maybe the extreme stress was caused by him having to live with his own guilt.

This post has been edited by Artiste: Aug 13 2007, 01:15 AM

+Quote Post
mikell
post Aug 13 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(appletree @ Aug 12 2007, 11:27 PM) *
For those that believe he is guilty and should be punished for every accusation made against him, you should all be happy that justice has been done for what you "believe" him to be guilty of. His life is in ruins. He has been humiliated in front of the whole world. He will probably never again perform musically because of this and worst of all ,his health is to a point that his very life is at risk on a daily basis. I am told that when he was brought into the emergency room that his blood pressure was 260/160. Anyone that knows anything about health knows a person cannot live with that kind of continual stress to the heart. He is now, a physically sick and broken man . For those of you who believe everything you have read, is this not punishment enough? Or, should Pickle, Joy and all the rest keep pushing until he's dead? Then the question would remain, would even death be enough to satisfy some?

Who among us are happy about what Tommy is going through? Of course, we will here at bsda pray for his recovery and for his repentance from his past sins and his sin of being a pedophile, so if death does come he will be found in the Kingdom of God. No one here wants Tommy to die or to be forever lost, but only for him to live on forever in heaven to come. No one I read here is judging Tommy to face the Great White Throne Judgment in Revelation 20:11-15, if you have read of someone here who wants Tommy to suffer now and in the next life to come, please share their names with us. Who are the ones here are that vindictive?

Should you be so quick to judge/condemn some here to be so hateful for one of God's children to suffer? Jesus said in Mt. 7:1, 2, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. you judging/condemning some here, it seems that you are then judging/condemning yourself, according to Jesus, would not that be correct?

This post has been edited by mikell: Aug 13 2007, 01:46 AM

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Aug 13 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #26

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(appletree @ Aug 13 2007, 01:27 AM) *
Since Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy claim to "be in the know" about everything, I am shocked that there has not been one mention of Tommy's emergency heart surgery 2 weeks ago. After a stay and discharge in his small local hospital he was taken back a few days later and eventually taken by ambulance to a larger hospital where he underwent a heart cath that resulted in 2 more stints being inserted in his heart.

For the umpteenth time, Danny Bystander wwjd appletree, the word is "stent". A "stint" is a vernacular term for a period of time...

That is a total of 4 with one massive heart attack and 2 emergency procedures to stop a heart attack.

And that has bearing on the validity of the allegations of pastoral sexual abuse, how exactly?

Most that know the inside situation feel certain he only survived this last procedure because of prayer intervention by many. Several of his family did not expect to see him come out of the procedure alive.

nopity.gif

All of this is a result of uncontrollable blood pressure due to the extreme stress these internet sites have caused. He his wife and children live with the internet accusations & repurcussions everyday. Ex 3abn you were replying to the post above yours where someone stated they just wanted to see him apologize to people to his family and so on. I believe you said you received one personally and in an email that addressed some particular accusations. Otherwise how can you or this poster know anything of what has been done or not done where his family is concerned, or where God is concerned. This person claims to know it all and yet, 2 of the board members at Dun Loring said they have yet to know any names of these supposed victims. This is why the meetings there have brought no answers, and no results after convening time and again. They keep hearing of accusations but after all this time no one has stepped forward to share any specifics at these board meetings. The end result is a meeting where the conversation runs aimlessly and nothing gets accomplished. Of course Glen Dryden chairs these meetings.
The above poster says Tommy should go there and explain, apologize and so on, yet none of Tommy's family have been apprised of who these people are and what they profess happened. How can anyone defend themselves against the unknown. Before this last heart emergency Tommy's family had kept in contact with 2 dunloring board members and repeatedly ask what he was being accused of. They don't have answers to this day.

This argument has been made... repeatedly... ad nauseam... and it is still notworking.gif

Surely, after all this time, your camp could come up with something original.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Aug 13 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(appletree @ Aug 13 2007, 01:27 AM) *
All of this is a result of uncontrollable blood pressure due to the extreme stress these internet sites have caused.

And before those on "these internet sites" learned anything about Tommy's past actions.... his health problems were caused by........ uhm.gif .........

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Aug 13 2007, 07:15 AM
Post #28

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(appletree @ Aug 13 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Since Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy claim to "be in the know" about everything, I am shocked that there has not been one mention of Tommy's emergency heart surgery 2 weeks ago.

Do you have any documentation to substantiate this claim?

I think the allegations started being posted on the internet by April 2006. However, it was after Glenn Dryden's announcement of new allegations in Virginia on Dec. 3 (which were posted on Dec. 5) that Tommy suddenly, allegedly became so ill he couldn't attend the 3ABN rally in Florida.

Thus, if Tommy really did have to retire because of high blood pressure brought on by allegations, the evidence suggests that it isn't allegations per se that cause such difficulties but allegations from places where the statute of limitations is such that he could still be prosecuted. And that is understandable.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 13 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #29

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Appletree,

Let us not overlook the hereditiy that is also at play in Tommy's health issues. It might be tempting to lay blame on those who are calling for the truth to be verified or refuted, but that is not the real picture.

Stress is not helpful for one who is ill. If I was Tommy I would certainly do all in my power to put these issues to rest.

As a fellow Christian I offer my humble prayer to God that He will hold Tommy and his family close in His arms and give them peace and the strength to trust fully in Him.

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Nandina
post Aug 13 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(ex3ABNemployee @ Aug 12 2007, 07:09 AM)

God is able.

Since Mr. Pickle and Mr. Joy claim to "be in the know" about everything, I am shocked that there has not been one mention of Tommy's emergency heart surgery 2 weeks ago. After a stay and discharge in his small local hospital he was taken back a few days later and eventually taken by ambulance to a larger hospital where he underwent a heart cath that resulted in 2 more stints being inserted in his heart. That is a total of 4 with one massive heart attack and 2 emergency procedures to stop a heart attack. Most that know the inside situation feel certain he only survived this last procedure because of prayer intervention by many. Several of his family did not expect to see him come out of the procedure alive. All of this is a result of uncontrollable blood pressure due to the extreme stress these internet sites have caused. He his wife and children live with the internet accusations & repurcussions everyday. Ex 3abn you were replying to the post above yours where someone stated they just wanted to see him apologize to people to his family and so on. I believe you said you received one personally and in an email that addressed some particular accusations. Otherwise how can you or this poster know anything of what has been done or not done where his family is concerned, or where God is concerned. This person claims to know it all and yet, 2 of the board members at Dun Loring said they have yet to know any names of these supposed victims. This is why the meetings there have brought no answers, and no results after convening time and again. They keep hearing of accusations but after all this time no one has stepped forward to share any specifics at these board meetings. The end result is a meeting where the conversation runs aimlessly and nothing gets accomplished. Of course Glen Dryden chairs these meetings.
For those that believe he is guilty and should be punished for every accusation made against him, you should all be happy that justice has been done for what you "believe" him to be guilty of. His life is in ruins. He has been humiliated in front of the whole world. He will probably never again perform musically because of this and worst of all ,his health is to a point that his very life is at risk on a daily basis. I am told that when he was brought into the emergency room that his blood pressure was 260/160. Anyone that knows anything about health knows a person cannot live with that kind of continual stress

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:14 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church