Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15475&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:07:41 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hospitalization Of Danny Shelton, Forwarded Announcement from Club Adventist
sister
post Sep 19 2007, 04:59 AM
Post #1

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 762

I was forwarded the following announcement that was posted on Club Adventist:

Danny Shelton, founder of 3ABN, was admitted to St. Johns Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri on Sunday, September 16, 2007. Doctors discovered that he had severe arterial blockage to his heart and placed a stint in the main artery to relieve that problem. They also indicated they would be treating other blocked blood vessels with medication while stressing the seriousness of his advanced heart disease. Danny is a life long vegetarian who exercises regularly, however, his father died at an early age of heart disease. Danny was released from the hospital on today, September 18, 2007, and he asked that the 3ABN viewers, listeners and supporters continue to pray for him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post Sep 19 2007, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

Glad they caught it...praying for Danny and family...

shepherdswife

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Sep 19 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(sister @ Sep 19 2007, 04:59 AM) *
I was forwarded the following announcement that was posted on Club Adventist:

We will continue to pray for DS in every way. None of us know from day to day when our health can take a turn for the worse even though we "think" we are doing the right thing. I am sure none of us are happy to see him in this situation of life threatening heart problems and personally and spiritually on dangerous ground.

It is an interesting fact to hear about "a life long vegetarian who exercises regularly" having arterial blockage.

Did anyone see the recent Oprah show with Dr. Oz? They did some experiments with diet changes in different groups of people. One group ate a monkey zoo diet of raw foods only for just ten days and their cholesterol dropped 25%. There were many more helpful tips to help your health.

I agree with the ones who posted in another thread about stress. Stress can do terrible things to us along with negative thinking. As for the diet............how many "vegetarians" are eating all the cream, butter, cheese, fats, desserts at pot luck and in our own pantry? How many of those who "exercise regularly" have purchased exercise equipment and find ourselves too tired today but plan to use it tomorrow?

Take DS's experience as a warning for all of us. Genetics play some role but our own individual choices play an even greater one. (my opinion)

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 19 2007, 05:49 AM
Post #4

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Health seminars teach even us carnivorous heathens a lot: Exercise helps, diet and exercise even more, but for some people heart disease/cholesterol won't yield to anything less than diet + exercise + medication.

Praying for a swift and full recovery. amen.gif

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Sep 19 2007, 06:12 AM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
no_cults
post Sep 19 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,322

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Sep 19 2007, 06:49 AM) *
Health seminars teach even us carnivorous heathens a lot: Exercise helps, diet and exercise even more, but for some people heart disease/cholesterol won't yield to anything less than diet + exercise + medication.

Praying for a swift and full recovery. amen.gif

I believe you are right, but stress also is a major factor.... a real killer.
We have stress because we worry too much and do not trust God
enough.

Remember the song: "Give it All"? If we really did that,and turned
things over to God instead of relying on our own abilities, we would
all be better off.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 19 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #6

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Right, those aren't the only factors. There are all kinds of things that lower one's risk.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Sep 19 2007, 08:05 AM
Post #7

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

They were mistaken about the "lifelong vegetarian" part.

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Sep 19 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 19 2007, 08:05 AM) *
They were mistaken about the "lifelong vegetarian" part.

I thought so..................

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Sep 19 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #9

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

Stress is definitely a varible that has nothing to do with diet....It is difficult even for the strongest Christian when you have little relief from stress that you can't put away, give to someone else or escape. He is definitely in my prayers.

QUOTE(no_cults @ Sep 19 2007, 07:18 AM) *
I believe you are right, but stress also is a major factor.... a real killer.
We have stress because we worry too much and do not trust God
enough.

Remember the song: "Give it All"? If we really did that,and turned
things over to God instead of relying on our own abilities, we would
all be better off.

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 19 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #10

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

Not all stress is bad, it can spur you to fight or flight.

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
inga
post Sep 19 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #11

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(runner4him @ Sep 19 2007, 06:28 AM) *
It is an interesting fact to hear about "a life long vegetarian who exercises regularly" having arterial blockage.
Folks who use dairy products are also called "vegetarians," and these can be as bad as meat for the circulatory system. I was also wondering about the "life long vegetarion," and beartrap answered that one for me.
Did anyone see the recent Oprah show with Dr. Oz? They did some experiments with diet changes in different groups of people. One group ate a monkey zoo diet of raw foods only for just ten days and their cholesterol dropped 25%. There were many more helpful tips to help your health.

I agree with the ones who posted in another thread about stress. Stress can do terrible things to us along with negative thinking.
I was quite surprised to find that one one of the musicians in our church lowered his blood pressure by 1/3 just by changing his thinking pattern -- letting go and letting God.
As for the diet............how many "vegetarians" are eating all the cream, butter, cheese, fats, desserts at pot luck and in our own pantry?
Exactly. Ellen White pointed out that she was shown that sugar is worse than meat in its harm to the body. It's possible to be "vegetarian" and eat a less healthy diet than those who consume moderate amounts of meat.
How many of those who "exercise regularly" have purchased exercise equipment and find ourselves too tired today but plan to use it tomorrow?

Take DS's experience as a warning for all of us. Genetics play some role but our own individual choices play an even greater one. (my opinion)

Indeed! Perhaps we should pray for Danny that he will watch some of Dr. McDougal's and other health programs on 3ABN and put his counsel into practice. Praying for God to perform miracles to undo our every-day choices strikes me as presumptuous.

And a note to all you meat-eating "heathens," as you style yourselves: God never asks us to give up anything that is genuinely good for us. "Heathen" or not, you would do yourself a favor by switching to a plant-based diet (no fish or dairy either) and eating food in a state as near natural as practical. I is possible to relish such a diet, and the rewards are immeasurable.

By the way, it has been demonstrated that lowering blood pressure with medication does not alleviate the damage done to diabetics. Only lifestyle changes prevent the damage. Drugs usually cover up symptoms, but their supposed positive effects are usually illusory. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is the rule.)

For a real education on the topic, I highly recommend Dr. Neil Nedley's book, Proof Positive, which I'm currently reading. It's a big book, but it's anything but boring. It's hard to put down. You can find it at his Dr. Nedley's web site. You can also get it in an electronic version which has several added chapters. (I'm waiting for our church's copy.) The book is currently under major revision; so if you aren't going to read it immediately, I'd bookmark the site & get it later. If you are going to read it immediately and are willing to make lifestyle changes, you'll get the most benefit by getting it now. (I don't expect significant changes in content. There will be changes in graphics and in updated research references.)

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Sep 19 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #12

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(inga @ Sep 19 2007, 11:38 AM) *
Folks who use dairy products are also called "vegetarians," and these can be as bad as meat for the circulatory system. I was also wondering about the "life long vegetarion," and beartrap answered that one for me.I was quite surprised to find that one one of the musicians in our church lowered his blood pressure by 1/3 just by changing his thinking pattern -- letting go and letting God.Exactly. Ellen White pointed out that she was shown that sugar is worse than meat in its harm to the body. It's possible to be "vegetarian" and eat a less healthy diet than those who consume moderate amounts of meat.
Indeed! Perhaps we should pray for Danny that he will watch some of Dr. McDougal's and other health programs on 3ABN and put his counsel into practice. Praying for God to perform miracles to undo our every-day choices strikes me as presumptuous.

And a note to all you meat-eating "heathens," as you style yourselves: God never asks us to give up anything that is genuinely good for us. "Heathen" or not, you would do yourself a favor by switching to a plant-based diet (no fish or dairy either) and eating food in a state as near natural as practical. I is possible to relish such a diet, and the rewards are immeasurable.

By the way, it has been demonstrated that lowering blood pressure with medication does not alleviate the damage done to diabetics. Only lifestyle changes prevent the damage. Drugs usually cover up symptoms, but their supposed positive effects are usually illusory. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is the rule.)

For a real education on the topic, I highly recommend Dr. Neil Nedley's book, Proof Positive, which I'm currently reading. It's a big book, but it's anything but boring. It's hard to put down. You can find it at his Dr. Nedley's web site. You can also get it in an electronic version which has several added chapters. (I'm waiting for our church's copy.) The book is currently under major revision; so if you aren't going to read it immediately, I'd bookmark the site & get it later. If you are going to read it immediately and are willing to make lifestyle changes, you'll get the most benefit by getting it now. (I don't expect significant changes in content. There will be changes in graphics and in updated research references.)

All the counsel and dietary statistics meant to scare folks into lifestyle alteration will not convince one person to change until they feel the need and desire. That is just the nature of most human beings. It took me til I was 55 to feel the need, and this was with a grandma and mother harping sweetly on the subject for decades. The counsel always got worse any time a loved one got sick or dropped dead. We seem to be opportunistic that way, hehe. Like all issues on a person's life journey, this is an area best left between created and Creator. JMHO.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Ian
post Sep 19 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

How did we go from Beartrap clarifying that Danny Shelton wasn't a lifelong vegetarian, to all this about sugar and dairy and this type of thing:

Perhaps we should pray for Danny that he will watch some of Dr. McDougal's and other health programs on 3ABN and put his counsel into practice. Praying for God to perform miracles to undo our every-day choices strikes me as presumptuous.

It is my understanding Dan has not had meat, sugar or dairy in his diet for many, many years.

That was actually posted in the Jim Gilley thread when this was all first announced by appletree.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Ian: Sep 19 2007, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Sep 19 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Ok, well, the Ian, not having meat, sugar, or dairy in his diet for many, many years, in not the same as being a lifelong vegetarian. The man is in his 50's. Many, many years coud be 20+ years which would still allow him to eat meat the major portion of his life. So Beartrap was saying that statement was incorrect, and by your own admission it was. I don't know how we got off on the sugar/diet tangent, but that often happens. Thanks for bringing on back on topic.

QUOTE(Ian @ Sep 19 2007, 03:35 PM) *
How did we go from Beartrap clarifying that Danny Shelton wasn't a lifelong vegetarian, to all this about sugar and dairy and this type of thing:
It is my understanding Dan has not had meat, sugar or dairy in his diet for many, many years.

That was actually posted in the Jim Gilley thread when this was all first announced by appletree.

Thanks.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Sep 19 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #15

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

Danny is very careful with his diet, and has been for a long time. He will not hardly eat anything with sugar or that has much fat content. He eats a lot of fruit. He seems to have a hereditary problem that has most likely been exacerbated by stress. Considering the family history, I would say that he has done remarkably well to go this long before it flared up, and that is probably due to his careful diet and exercise. When it comes to health habits (apart from not getting enough sleep) Danny has been quite exemplary for many years.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Sep 19 2007, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:07 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church