Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16407&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:02:15 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barbara Kerr
PeacefulBe
post Oct 22 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

Let's keep in mind that when a person is going through a health crisis, patience, tactfullness, attitude and outlook can suffer greatly. Just ask my husband about how I can get a little snappish after a week or two of migraines. Barbara was still in the midst of her treatment when the thread was moved to a more appropriate area of BSDA, so she may not have interpreted the move as would one who was in normal health.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian
post Oct 22 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(sister @ Oct 21 2007, 07:15 PM) *
I will preface this comment with the following: I have nothing against Barbara Kerr, but she does seem like a bit of an opportunist in desiring a thread about her personal health condition riding on the coat tails of the 3ABN saga, which is a widely read area of BSDA.

Now most of you reading this are familiar with the many posts I have made regarding 3ABN, but if I started a thread in the section about 3ABN, which had nothing to do with 3ABN but concerned another topic and the administrators moved it to a more appropriate section, that should not cause me to be offended. If in the midst of what I was posting, I promoted a personal project, and you all know "sister", you just might want to send me some funds. If that were the case and I was moved to a less trafficed area I would probably be offended.

If what Jodi said is true about Barbara, "She loves you all dearly and misses chatting and sharing with you.", there has been nothing that has stoped her from continuing in her thread once it was moved to another area. The reason for moving it was lack of relevance to the 3ABN saga, nothing personal toward Barbara---which I believe was made quite clear. So why did she stop? BSDA is not just the threads about 3ABN, that is just a small part of it. Of course Barbara's comments posted in another area probably do not get the traffic that it got in the 3abn forum.

We are all grownups here, Barbara received a much greater blessing through her association with Linda Shelton and 3ABN, of infinitely greater value than the masters of the tapes that 3ABN produced and own featuring her cooking. Barbara was given the opportunity of being part of a cancer treatment program, in the early experimental phase, that saved her from disfiguring surgery and additionally her very life. I am sure there are many details concerning her time in Norway that she would choose not to share, but I believe many of the members of BSDA opened their hearts, encouraged and lifted Barbara in prayer during a difficult time in her life. Considering all of that, it is difficult to see how she could feel unwelcome here... Unless she has another agenda.

I am sure some of my comments may seem a bit harsh, but that was not my intention. Sometimes people just need a reality check... I am sure Barbara would understand my comments.

The above seems pretty truthful, upfront, impartial, and fair, IMHO.

I am concerned about Barbara Kerr too, and I am posiitive I am not alone. I would love to hear from her on an appropriate forum here, as I was reading her posts and uplifting her in prayer even before I joined here...(I still am). I also have been wondering how she is doing. I think it would help us all to know how our prayers on her behald are being answered. That kind of thing builds faith, and makes it stronger.

One of the hardest things to overcome is self. I am not pointing any fingers here, I believe "I" and "how I think" and "How I feel" and "what I think is right' or "what I want" taking precidence is a fallen human condition in this sinfull world. I am sure we can all agree that our hardest personal battles involve self, and it is so very easy to become offended due to that.

But I feel that the reality is, that most here, no matter what their stance or opinions on various issues re 3ABN are, care about others here, and I just wish that could be understood. smile.gif

Please let us know how you are doing Barbara. I feel safe in speaking for most in saying, we are very concerned and love you.

We want to hear about you, Barbara, no matter where on this Forum that is. Does it really matter so much where you post?

Blessings...

edit: typos

This post has been edited by Ian: Oct 22 2007, 11:29 AM

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Oct 22 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

....and we have now entered the Twilight Zone.........cue music! LOL!! Just kidding, but this indeed is a strange occurence. I jes sayin'...... dunno.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Oct 22 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #19

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

I was wondering who hacked his account. blink.gif

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
jodi
post Oct 23 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 552

QUOTE(sister @ Oct 21 2007, 08:15 PM) *
I will preface this comment with the following: I have nothing against Barbara Kerr, but she does seem like a bit of an opportunist in desiring a thread about her personal health condition riding on the coat tails of the 3ABN saga, which is a widely read area of BSDA.

Very faulty assumption!!

Now most of you reading this are familiar with the many posts I have made regarding 3ABN, but if I started a thread in the section about 3ABN, which had nothing to do with 3ABN but concerned another topic and the administrators moved it to a more appropriate section, that should not cause me to be offended. If in the midst of what I was posting, I promoted a personal project, and you all know "sister", you just might want to send me some funds. If that were the case and I was moved to a less trafficed area I would probably be offended.

Interesting conclusion, to think Barbara's comments "had nothing to do with 3ABN"!

If what Jodi said is true about Barbara, "She loves you all dearly and misses chatting and sharing with you.", there has been nothing that has stoped her from continuing in her thread once it was moved to another area. The reason for moving it was lack of relevance to the 3ABN saga, nothing personal toward Barbara---which I believe was made quite clear. So why did she stop? BSDA is not just the threads about 3ABN, that is just a small part of it. Of course Barbara's comments posted in another area probably do not get the traffic that it got in the 3abn forum.

I learned many years ago to never "assume" anything!! You don't know what has stopped Barbara from posting!! In her own time, she will write, but right now, she just can't.

We are all grownups here, Barbara received a much greater blessing through her association with Linda Shelton and 3ABN, of infinitely greater value than the masters of the tapes that 3ABN produced and own featuring her cooking. Barbara was given the opportunity of being part of a cancer treatment program, in the early experimental phase, that saved her from disfiguring surgery and additionally her very life. I am sure there are many details concerning her time in Norway that she would choose not to share, but I believe many of the members of BSDA opened their hearts, encouraged and lifted Barbara in prayer during a difficult time in her life. Considering all of that, it is difficult to see how she could feel unwelcome here... Unless she has another agenda.

Possibly it is all this negativity that goes on!! and, to even suggest that she has another agenda!
I am sure some of my comments may seem a bit harsh, but that was not my intention. Sometimes people just need a reality check... I am sure Barbara would understand my comments.

Your comments are harsh. Perhaps you are the one who needs the reality check.

+Quote Post
msraccoon
post Oct 24 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 1,887

I have been contemplating some of the above not-so-uplifting comments regarding Barbara Kerr. Calvin, yes she may have problems, however they could have nothing to do with this site, or with the thread being moved. Sister and Fran, I admire you greatly, but I was bothered by your comments. After rereading her posts, I do not believe she has another agenda or is an opportunist.

It struck a raw nerve with me, as if I were Barbara herself.

The old saying "never judge a man til you have walked in his shoes" totally applies here. I know whereof I speak.

In the past 3 years I have coped with cancer twice. After the treatments were over, I crashed.
The mental and emotional toll it takes on you can be worse than the cancer itself.

After months of mental anguish and not functioning, I was desperate. I went to a great SDA psychiatrist. He told me I had severe depression AND post traumatic stress disorder. It takes a lot of time to get over it. It can last for months or years.

Yes, I think I may have walked in Barbara's shoes even though I don't know her personally. How isolated she must have felt to be so far away from home.

If those rather harsh statements had been written by me when I was so in distress, I would never come back to this site again. Don't kick a woman when she is down.

You just have no idea what she may be going through.
When it comes to health issues, back off.

msraccoon

+Quote Post
Johann
post Oct 24 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(msraccoon @ Oct 24 2007, 01:06 PM) *

msraccoon

Needs consideration!

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 24 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

My past posts with emiocons were to express my disappointment the posts being made. They were not meant to express displeasure in Barbara.

I believe the posters are the ones that need a reality check! I'm sorry my posts were taken differently than they were intended.

QUOTE(msraccoon @ Oct 24 2007, 06:06 AM) *
I have been contemplating some of the above not-so-uplifting comments regarding Barbara Kerr. Calvin, yes she may have problems, however they could have nothing to do with this site, or with the thread being moved. Sister and Fran, I admire you greatly, but I was bothered by your comments. After rereading her posts, I do not believe she has another agenda or is an opportunist.

It struck a raw nerve with me, as if I were Barbara herself.

The old saying "never judge a man til you have walked in his shoes" totally applies here. I know whereof I speak.

In the past 3 years I have coped with cancer twice. After the treatments were over, I crashed.
The mental and emotional toll it takes on you can be worse than the cancer itself.

After months of mental anguish and not functioning, I was desperate. I went to a great SDA psychiatrist. He told me I had severe depression AND post traumatic stress disorder. It takes a lot of time to get over it. It can last for months or years.

Yes, I think I may have walked in Barbara's shoes even though I don't know her personally. How isolated she must have felt to be so far away from home.

If those rather harsh statements had been written by me when I was so in distress, I would never come back to this site again. Don't kick a woman when she is down.

msraccoon

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Brick Step
post Oct 24 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,624

QUOTE(Fran @ Oct 24 2007, 12:15 PM) *
My past posts with emiocons were to express my disappointment the posts being made. They were not meant to express displeasure in Barbara.

I believe the posters are the ones that need a reality check! I'm sorry my posts were taken differently than they were intended.

Fran, it's easy at times for anyone to misunderstand, but I for one never read your posts otherwise than you have just explained.

I think anyone having done serious battle with cancer (I've also had my turn) could empathise with at least much of msraccoon's comments. Testifying of your faith can be one thing. Doing verbal combat (that's how it appears at times) on an internet forum can be almost beyond you.

On the issue of this thread, different points of view and all, I don't think anyone should take too much to heart. We serve a wonderful God. He loves us all completely. He can sort us all out. He can always over-rule and work all things together for the good of those that love Him.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 24 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #25

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(Brick Step @ Oct 24 2007, 07:42 PM) *
Fran, it's easy at times for anyone to misunderstand, but I for one never read your posts otherwise than you have just explained.

I think anyone having done serious battle with cancer (I've also had my turn) could empathise with at least much of msraccoon's comments. Testifying of your faith can be one thing. Doing verbal combat (that's how it appears at times) on an internet forum can be almost beyond you.

On the issue of this thread, different points of view and all, I don't think anyone should take too much to heart. We serve a wonderful God. He loves us all completely. He can sort us all out. He can always over-rule and work all things together for the good of those that love Him.

Exactly!

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
jodi
post Oct 25 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 552

[quote name='Fran' date='Oct 24 2007, 01:15 PM' post='221178']

Thank you, Fran! I understood what you meant! May God bless you for your kindness to all!!

+Quote Post
Shiny Penny
post Oct 29 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,486

QUOTE(sister @ Oct 21 2007, 06:15 PM) *

Perhaps Barbara understands your comments, but they were uncalled for. Maybe Barbara did not know that her posts had been moved to another forum on BSDA. Sometimes it would be good to give someone, anyone - including Barbara - the benefit of the doubt.

--------------------
--Shiny Penny--

My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God... The person who refuses to love doesn't know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can't know him if you don't love. This is how God showed his love for us: God sent his only Son into the world so we might live through him. This is the kind of love we are talking about—not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they've done to our relationship with God. 1 John 4:7-10 (esaajr@asia.com)

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Oct 30 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #28

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(jodi @ Oct 16 2007, 09:50 PM) *
I have also missed hearing from Barbara! I talked with her today and she does plan to write eventually, but she has felt like she wasn't welcome on the 3ABN thread since she had been moved off of it. Please continue to pray for her and her family! She loves you all dearly and misses chatting and sharing with you.

It is unfortunate that BK has taken offense. However if this is how she feels it is appropriate for her to discuss her concerns with the Admin staff in PM. We have different forums for different discussions based on the content and or appropriateness of said discussion.

Your comments about how "she feels" IMO come off as passive agressive and, sparked a variety of response which still have no bearing what so ever on the 3abn issues. To attempt to guilt trip anyone here for making an assessment and/or decision to move the thread is inappropriate and should have been left to discussion in PM with the Admin staff.

As stated by another member later in the thread sometimes one can misunderstand and become offended based on the mental stress they are under due to serious health issues. That is IMO a reasonable asssessment. However it also seems reasonable that one should be able to grasp the issue for what it is and move forward and acknowledge that no personal afront was intended.

To think that anyone would feel the Prayer or Praise and Testimony forums are not appropriate for BK's situation seems strange to me. And obviously from the varied comments, I am not the only one.

Be Blessed

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Oct 30 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #29

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

SP, please read Post #3 duplicated here for your conveience:

I have also missed hearing from Barbara! I talked with her today and she does plan to write eventually, but she has felt like she wasn't welcome on the 3ABN thread since she had been moved off of it. Please continue to pray for her and her family! She loves you all dearly and misses chatting and sharing with you.

She knew her thread had been moved. As Sera said it is then upon her to ask why this move was made, instead of sulking.

QUOTE(Shiny Penny @ Oct 29 2007, 06:51 PM) *
Perhaps Barbara understands your comments, but they were uncalled for. Maybe Barbara did not know that her posts had been moved to another forum on BSDA. Sometimes it would be good to give someone, anyone - including Barbara - the benefit of the doubt.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Oct 30 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #30

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Member No.: 712

snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:02 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church