Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17792&st=165 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:57:43 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reaping The Whirl Wind, IRS Criminal Investigation of 3ABN
Seraphim7
post Dec 5 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #166

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(PeacefulBe @ Dec 5 2007, 10:29 AM) *
There is something to be said for small groups and meeting in private homes at times. However, those here who are promoting this as the better way to have church services need to think about the undue level of stress this could be on women, if carried to excess. crazy.gif

Sorry, in my experience with small group ministry, in our out of ones home, I do not see where the women have been overburdened to care for the group. It is possible one might have a "Marthas" or two in that situation but "IF" it were to happen it would be because of poor planning and/or mismanagement of "people resources". None would have to fear being over burdened because each member of the small "group" is working for the benefit of the whole. Which should be the case with churches where there are buildgins, but sadly is not always the case.

In my city of around 150k, we have a 700-member congregation. While not everyone attends regularly, a large portion do. We have visitors from both the community and out of town SDAs who are able to worship with us because we have a central church building and are not meeting in unknown locations, such as in a private home. . .

Again "if" meetings were held in a persons home I don't see how that qualifies as "unknown locations". It would be the home of somebody one knows if folks were to attend. Small group ministries are not designed, as I understand them, to minister to the needs of church members and community in which it is located. While it is nice when one can entertain visitors from the community and out of town that is not the purpose of a small group ministry.
We have a thriving community services center that ministers to the impoverished with food, clothing and other basic needs... Our sanctuary is a place of celebration...

That is all well and good, but "every" church does not have all that yours has been blessed with...
There is a time and place for congregations to meet in private homes. I can agree with that. But there are areas where a physical building to house the church family is appropriate. I'm going to have to agree with WB on this one.

Though I do not agree fully with all WB has stated I can say Ecc 3:1 To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: yes.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GRAT
post Dec 5 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #167

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,305

In regard to the stress on the woman, I took it to mean having to have your house perfect each week for the visitors to it. Maybe I went there because house cleaning is not my favorite job and I feel stressed when company is coming. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 5 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #168

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(GRAT @ Dec 5 2007, 12:40 PM) *
In regard to the stress on the woman, I took it to mean having to have your house perfect each week for the visitors to it. Maybe I went there because house cleaning is not my favorite job and I feel stressed when company is coming. wacko.gif

thats why good men help their mates so that they don't feel that kind of stress...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Dec 5 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #169

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(GRAT @ Dec 5 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Exactly biggrin.gif

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 5 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #170

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(PeacefulBe @ Dec 5 2007, 08:24 PM) *
Exactly biggrin.gif

Many years ago I found this sign in Germany:

Gott erhalte mir meine Gesundheit und die Arbeitskraft meiner Frau. (May Gud sustain my health and the working strength of my wife)

My wife keeps this sign in the kitchen. It has a drawing of a man resting on a bench watching his wife chopping firewood.

Appropriate???

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post Dec 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #171

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(Johann @ Dec 5 2007, 04:02 PM) *
Many years ago I found this sign in Germany:

Gott erhalte mir meine Gesundheit und die Arbeitskraft meiner Frau. (May Gud sustain my health and the working strength of my wife)

My wife keeps this sign in the kitchen. It has a drawing of a man resting on a bench watching his wife chopping firewood.

Appropriate???

Johann, you must be a good help to her--or she would not think that sign was funny! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 5 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #172

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Dec 5 2007, 09:47 PM) *
Johann, you must be a good help to her--or she would not think that sign was funny! tongue.gif

Or she might be giving me a hint to rise off the bench and give her a hand biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Dec 5 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #173

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

This talk of home church reminds me of Sunday mornings around some of our summer bee yards . As you drive down the roads you will see at certain houses many horses and buggies. It's Amish country, and around here at least, they meet for their services in private homes. They have no churches but they do have little one room schools, and no I don't know why they don't meet in them. Wonderful people, we can learn a lot from them and their ways.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Dec 5 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #174

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

The memorial idea is rooted in Scripture. The Passover was a memorial, and the pillar of stones at the Jordan was a memorial. The Bible says that when the kids asked, "What's that for?" then you'd have an opportunity to share truth or sacred history with them. Memorials are to call to remembrance and to spark the curiosity and endless questions of kids.

Our church, school, publishing, and medical buildings are to draw attention in this way to the true Sabbath.

Now if you think about it, lots of cars or buggies parked outside a home the same day each week can do the same sort of thing, if that's all you can do.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Dec 5 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #175

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Pickle @ Dec 5 2007, 08:33 PM) *
The memorial idea is rooted in Scripture. The Passover was a memorial, and the pillar of stones at the Jordan was a memorial. The Bible says that when the kids asked, "What's that for?" then you'd have an opportunity to share truth or sacred history with them. Memorials are to call to remembrance and to spark the curiosity and endless questions of kids.

Our church, school, publishing, and medical buildings are to draw attention in this way to the true Sabbath.

Now if you think about it, lots of cars or buggies parked outside a home the same day each week can do the same sort of thing, if that's all you can do.

My old Greek teacher used to preach a sermon (I bet he still does) on Joshua 4, where they heap up stones after crossing the Jordan river so their descendants would ask what happened. He'd preach it on mission trips where we'd build for the local congregations, and bring it home by saying that the building was a memorial of what God had done for them. Great sermon.

And I look at some of what's been described here--and there's no doubt that God uses buildings dedicated to these purposes. Used correctly, they don't necessarily become idols. One of my churches is being used increasingly like this; another can hardly pay the bills, and their home meetings are more effective anyway.

For home churches to work, you have to have a level of God-enthusiasm I've rarely experienced in my life. I know it can happen, and that gives me faith that the Spirit has not left the Adventist church. But of the churches I've attended, about 3% have that fire. They meet publicly in facilities, but when I was there didn't own their own buildings. And the real action happened in homes anyhow.

I look at North American Christianity, where most of the growing churches are only poaching members from the dying ones. And I look at Scripture and history to the church of the New Testament, which had no paid pastors and no buildings, and got the gospel to the known world in less than a hundred years. Which should we try to learn from? dunno.gif If we do what we've always done, we'll get what we always got.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, btw. ninja.gif

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Dec 5 2007, 10:33 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Dec 5 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #176

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

Original Christianity was much different than what we know as Christianity today. And it was different than it's next phase...Paulianity, and definitly different than early Catholicism...or later Protestantism. What we're seeing today, as a further modification of Christianity, is what we'd might call Televangelism. What's next in this never-ending morphology of religion? Ipodianity--interactive instant great messaging?

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Dec 6 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #177

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Can you text on those new iPods? And here I thought I was up on tech issues ....

... though one thing the early church didn't have to contend with was the Internet. Stats tell us that like 80% of people will get their spiritual sustenance online by 2025.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
AzA
post Dec 6 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #178

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,427

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Dec 6 2007, 12:16 AM) *
Stats tell us that like 80% of people will get their spiritual sustenance online by 2025.
80% of which people, in which regions, from which class? (Source.)

On the other hand, if the projections are sound and not just wishful, we'd better make sure they have quality food online to feed on! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post Dec 6 2007, 06:11 AM
Post #179

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(AzA @ Dec 6 2007, 02:05 AM) *
80% of which people, in which regions, from which class? (Source.)

On the other hand, if the projections are sound and not just wishful, we'd better make sure they have quality food online to feed on! smile.gif

I agree...God has used many different tools down through history, from face to face communication, written word, prophets, illustrations like the sanctuary, donkeys, ravens, and the church--always using whatever he had available in the most effective way possible. Changes in society are happening quickly, and we need to be able to speak their language if we want them (the lost--as in seek and save...) to hear us. 3ABN and Hope Channel are reaching a segment of society with a part of what it means to be a child of God, but there are many who will never watch it--and it is missing the "one another" component. God needs His people to learn to use all the gifts and tools He has blessed them with to work with Him to accomplish His task--seeking and saving...

Technology will be the language of my sons generation...

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Dec 6 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #180

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Dec 5 2007, 10:16 PM) *
Can you text on those new iPods? And here I thought I was up on tech issues ....

... though one thing the early church didn't have to contend with was the Internet. Stats tell us that like 80% of people will get their spiritual sustenance online by 2025.

Exclusively? If so, the spiritual gifts given to each of us to edifiy the body of Christ will need to evolve and adapt to be useful to this new, online version of the Christian church. How do we replace the smiles, handshakes and hugs?

BTW, one may already watch excellent live and archived church services on churchpond and praizevision. Our church, Santa Rosa SDA, also archives the sermons. These are broadcast twice weekly on local cable access channels and are aired in to our local county jail. Our pastor's face has become well known by many in the criminal justice system. When he walks into the jail to visit, it is common to hear "I know you!"

Still, as wonderful as it is to have the option to watch online, it's like good music - wonderful to have it on CD to listen to and enjoy, but doesn't compare to being at a live performance.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:57 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church