Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18723&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:53:15 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linda's New Website
calvin
post Jan 3 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #16

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Green Cochoa @ Jan 3 2008, 10:37 AM) *
I hear you. I would be unlikely to call it a devotional as well. An inspirational thought? Maybe. Devotional? Nah. But then, I don't call most of those so-called devotional books "devotional" either. If it isn't scripture, it isn't devotional, in my opinion. I don't look fondly at these "Soup for the Soul" type stories, or the "Christmas in my Heart" stuff either. Devotionals? Not for me. I've noticed that many of those kinds of stories do not mention God. (If you don't believe me, start counting...) There is no such thing as a God-less devotional (unless you are devoting yourself to a non-God entity).

However, having said that, I still disagree on the "mud" part. Where is it? And "pity party" is also a bit strong, considering that she has not named or dwelt upon anything which would be uncommon to any of us. The allegory highlights more the goodness of God and the spiritual journey than the "pits of despair."

It probably helps to put things into perspective to recall that Linda was once a great inspiration to many through her televised expressions of faith. For some of these, the events which precipitated her disappearance have been confusing and disappointing. Linda's expression of faith that God has seen her through the trial may be calculated to encourage this group of people. This "devotional" may be more for their benefit than anything else. I see Linda as being sensitive to the fact that others have been inspired through her ministry, and she does not want to fail them. This does not mean she is a perfect writer, or that her motives are 100% pure--can any of us lay claim to such perfection? I think we should be careful about judging, when it is clear that she has focused on a bright future filled with hope and a fresh beginning, through the grace of God. Put yourself in her place: if we said these things about your best effort to be of encouragement to others, how would you react?

Blessings,

Greenie.

I hear you as well. Maybe “pity party” was a bit strong. But that is the way I saw it. I am sure some will be blessed and find encouragement in the letter. Probably more women than men. tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jan 3 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #17

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 3 2008, 05:08 PM) *
I hear you as well. Maybe “pity party” was a bit strong. But that is the way I saw it. I am sure some will be blessed and find encouragement in the letter. Probably more women than men. tongue.gif

OOO you went there huh... be careful Calvin we women know people..... who know people....

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 3 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Oh please!! Like you were going to read her site anyway! Danny has been using 3ABN to take potshots at Linda for almost 4 years now. I personally witnessed that lovefest they gave Danny likening him to every prophet in the Bible, and trashing all who opposed him, dared to question him. They didn't name name, either, but it was just as clear. Linda's only fault was that she mislead everyone by placing her rant as a devotional, but Danny has used donor money to trash her all this time. Same thing! EVen worse, it isn't his money he is abusing.

Numblemess and lack of vindictiveness? Did you ask this of Danny when he made veryone retape their show because Linda was on it? Please!! Humble, standing htere while his cronies continue to pump his head, comparing him to prophets of the Bible. You have got to be kidding me!

You two need ti quit!

Not to mention it sounds a lot like Hannah Hurnard's great book Hinds Feet On High Places (which is semi-autobiographical). Here are some of the character names in Hurnard's Christian allegory: Much Afraid (the main character who is female), Suffering, Sorrow, Craven Fear, Pride, Selfishness . . . an excerpt from an AudioFile review:

"In Hurnard's allegory, Flo Schmidt narrates the story of characters named Much Afraid, Sorrow, and Suffering as they journey to the High Places, where their weaknesses will be turned into strengths and their fears into faith. The Shepherd who leads them is characterized with a kind, gentle voice filled with love and hope. The personalities of Craven Fear, Pride, and Selfishness, who act as antagonists, are depicted with sharp, cutting tones. The testing of each character during the journey is realistic, and tones of joy ring out as Much Afraid and her companions gather memorial stones to mark their progress. G.D.W. © AudioFile 2004, Portland, Maine-- Copyright © AudioFile, Portland, Maine --This text refers to the Audio CD edition."

- FHB

QUOTE(Ian @ Jan 3 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Very Interesting...

I myself was already embarrassed for the author, and turned off by the so called new website devotional quoted. After reading the authors claims on her old website, she was too obviously trying to be autobiographical, and lifting up the heroine and talking about what the heroine did, and what she "deserved" while making stabs at her enemies, and has been said "mudslinging" and trying unsuccessfully to disguise the self-righteousness and personal attacks as a allegory and devotional
I'd rather see humbleness , a lack of vindictiveness, and our Lord uplifted and the glory given to God in a devotional.

But, that's just me, and my review.

To each their own.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 3 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Ian @ Jan 3 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Very Interesting...

I myself was already embarrassed for the author, and turned off by the so called new website devotional quoted. After reading the authors claims on her old website, she was too obviously trying to be autobiographical, and lifting up the heroine and talking about what the heroine did, and what she "deserved" while making stabs at her enemies, and has been said "mudslinging" and trying unsuccessfully to disguise the self-righteousness and personal attacks as a allegory and devotional
I'd rather see humbleness , a lack of vindictiveness, and our Lord uplifted and the glory given to God in a devotional.

But, that's just me, and my review.

To each their own.

It's true, this is more of a testimonial than a devotional. Whether you agree with her personal experience or not, it is how she sees HER experience. I say let the woman work through her pain in the way she feels she needs to.

BTW, it did appear, at least to me, that she was giving a lot of glory to God.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 3 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #20

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 3 2008, 05:08 PM) *
I hear you as well. Maybe "pity party" was a bit strong. But that is the way I saw it. I am sure some will be blessed and find encouragement in the letter. Probably more women than men. tongue.gif

Wasnt it terrible, you great males, that Linda should steep so low? It just made you burst, didn't it? Your emotions, your feelings, such horrible writing let you down. It made you cringe?

Do you need some more of that kind of horror? It should never have appeared on Black SDA, should it?

Just for comparison, just so we know what we are talking about, wouldn't it be a fair thing to paralell this with the angelic presentation of Linda Shelton on world wide television as Herodia, and Alyssa as her daughter Salome who requested the cut-off head of John the Baptist on a platter?

Those saints made their devotional Biblical. It was so much more religious than the trash Linda wrote,, wasn't it? It seemed clear that the modern John the Baptist was nobody else than this great televangelist Danny Shelton, who was also presented on those shows as Moses, as David, as a persecuted prophet. It was so Bliblical, it was so sincerely done, wasn't it?

You should clear up any misunderstanding, and make it clear, who is the saint, and who is the villain? Your emotions have shown you and given you a clear picture of this whole affair? Isn't this how you saw it? You are no sickly female who lets such trash influence your thinking, so keep up the thread and be a man! Only girls need any encouragement in their female strange behavior.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 3 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

QUOTE(Johann @ Jan 3 2008, 01:13 PM) *
Wasnt it terrible, you great males, that Linda should steep so low? It just made you burst, didn't it? Your emotions, your feelings, such horrible writing let you down. It made you cringe?

Do you need some more of that kind of horror? It should never have appeared on Black SDA, should it?

Just for comparison, just so we know what we are talking about, wouldn't it be a fair thing to paralell this with the angelic presentation of Linda Shelton on world wide television as Herodia, and Alyssa as her daughter Salome who requested the cut-off head of John the Baptist on a platter?

Those saints made their devotional Biblical. It was so much more religious than the trash Linda wrote,, wasn't it? It seemed clear that the modern John the Baptist was nobody else than this great televangelist Danny Shelton, who was also presented on those shows as Moses, as David, as a persecuted prophet. It was so Bliblical, it was so sincerely done, wasn't it?

You should clear up any misunderstanding, and make it clear, who is the saint, and who is the villain? Your emotions have shown you and given you a clear picture of this whole affair? Isn't this how you saw it? You are no sickly female who lets such trash influence your thinking, so keep up the thread and be a man! Only girls need any encouragement in their female strange behavior.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Jan 3 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #22

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(Johann @ Jan 3 2008, 04:13 PM) *

Johann~

I have reread your post several times and the pain you express through your words is almost palpable. But your emotions have caused you to react rather than even attempt to understand how someone else may view the words that Linda wrote.

Yesterday in another post you said to me:

I find these words invigorating:

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
----John F. Kennedy

I know it must be uncomfortable to read what someone you respect like Calvin thinks of what Linda wrote but you certainly have to realize that not everyone will view it as you do. There was nothing in what Calvin wrote that hinted that he did not think it should have been posted here. But Johann, regardless of posting it here at BSDA, on her new website or anywhere there is going to be a complete spectrum of responses to it. I believe Calvin is right that there will be those who will be blessed but there will also be those who judge it far more harshly than even Calvin has done and they will do so publicly. If Linda or you or anyone else are not prepared for that you are not being remotely realistic.

As for the statements made on 3abn, has this not been criticized elsewhere on BSDA? But IMO, what was or was not said by Danny or anyone else at 3abn will not be the standard Linda's writing will be judged by or compared to.

Rather than react to Calvin's statement might I suggest that you invite all feedback no matter how much discomfort it may cause?

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Jan 3 2008, 08:08 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 3 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #23

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.

QUOTE(Noahswife @ Jan 4 2008, 02:07 AM) *
Johann~

I have reread your post several times and the pain you express through your words is almost palpable. But your emotions have caused you to react rather than even attempt to understand how someone else may view the words that Linda wrote.

Yesterday in another post you said to me:

I find these words invigorating:

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
----John F. Kennedy

I know it must be uncomfortable to read what someone you respect like Calvin thinks of what Linda wrote but you certainly have to realize that not everyone will view it as you do. There was nothing in what Calvin wrote that hinted that he did not think it should have been posted here. But Johann, regardless of posting it here at BSDA, on her new website or anywhere there is going to be a complete spectrum of responses to it. I believe Calvin is right that there will be those who will be blessed but there will also be those who judge it far more harshly than even Calvin has done and they will do so publicly. If Linda or you or anyone else are not prepared for that you are not being remotely realistic.

As for the statements made on 3abn, has this not been criticized elsewhere on BSDA? But IMO, what was or was not said by Danny or anyone else at 3abn will not be the standard Linda's writing will be judged by or compared to.

Rather than react to Calvin's statement might I suggest that you invite all feedback no matter how much discomfort it may cause?

nw

I don't know what is wrong with you, NW, but again you blame me for applying my words merely to a single post. You must think I am extremely narrow brained. Thanks for the compliment! Are you suggesting that only a single view should be expressed on BlackSDA? Then I see no sense in having this forum.

So I encourage you to keep on expresssing your views. Just don't expect me always to agree with yours. Don't expect me to make exactly the same comparisons you do.

The greatest truth you state is that I respect Calvin highly. That does not mean that my brain is cloned from his, although we do look at many things alike.

Yes, I expect reactions, don't you? Perhaps you regarded my reaction unthinkable? I invite you to think again. You seem to have that capacity, if I am not mistaken.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
Observer
post Jan 4 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #24

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 3 2008, 10:08 AM) *

I can understand why the reactions to her devotional and websiste would be mixed. I also agraee that such comes from people who are not her enemies.

So, consider this:

If it is Linda's intention to proclaim how God has led her through great pain to a higher relationship with Him, how can she do that if she has no reference to that pain?

At this point the issue, in my thinking, becomes the amount of verbage that is devoted to describing the specifics of that pain.

I am reminded of the story of the man who want to prayer meeting every week--obviously an old story. Every week he would ask God to deliver him from his sins, and thank God for the time when he had not fallen sin. So, each week the people at prayer meeting would hear a detailed recitation of his sins and sin became the focus rather than the power of God.

In the long run it will be clearly shown where Linda has her focus. As peope are different, with different personalities, not all will agree.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Dona
post Jan 4 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,296

QUOTE(calvin @ Jan 3 2008, 12:08 PM) *
I hear you as well. Maybe “pity party” was a bit strong. But that is the way I saw it.

Calvin, I saw it exactly the way you saw it.

Dona

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 4 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #26

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Observer @ Jan 4 2008, 08:09 AM) *
I can understand why the reactions to her devotional and websiste would be mixed. I also agraee that such comes from people who are not her enemies.

So, consider this:

If it is Linda's intention to proclaim how God has led her through great pain to a higher relationship with Him, how can she do that if she has no reference to that pain?

At this point the issue, in my thinking, becomes the amount of verbage that is devoted to describing the specifics of that pain.

I am reminded of the story of the man who want to prayer meeting every week--obviously an old story. Every week he would ask God to deliver him from his sins, and thank God for the time when he had not fallen sin. So, each week the people at prayer meeting would hear a detailed recitation of his sins and sin became the focus rather than the power of God.

In the long run it will be clearly shown where Linda has her focus. As peope are different, with different personalities, not all will agree.

Something to consider.

Via scripture, we see a number of instances where God directs his people to set up "stones of remembrance." Those stones were set up as a memorial. For one, so His people would not forget what "He" alone brought them through. Two, so that they would be a reminder that He alone can keep them and preserve them for His purposes when they trust and obey Him. Three, those stones will provide a memorial, so believers and non-believers alike, will see them as a "witness" of the grace and mercy of God towards those who trust and obey Him. These "stones", as I understand them, are not simply for remembrance but also represent dark times, hardships or trials/tribulations in our live.

When any of us expresses what we have been through, and how we overcame those trials, it can/may/will be seen by some as a testimony of Gods goodness and, give us all hope. Each expression of the things we, or others, have experienced, whether by mouth or in written form, may in the future inspire others to believe that they can also overcome. Through Christ Jesus alone.

The question I have to ask myself is this. Are those expressions, when the primary focus is Gods mercy and grace towards us, whether by mouth or in written form, an act of worship or "devotion"? Like I said, it's something to consider.
dunno.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 4 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

Interesting. And a lot of Psalms are like that, perhaps even Psalm 22.

This post has been edited by Pickle: Jan 4 2008, 04:16 PM

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 4 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #28

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 4 2008, 10:16 PM) *
Interesting. And a lot of Psalms are like that, perhaps even Psalm 22.

A friend sent me a story this morninng. I hope it is all right to post it here?

I left work early so I could have some uninterrupted study time right
before the final in my Youth Issues class. When I got to class, everybody
was doing their last minute studying. The teacher came in and said he would
review with us for just a little bit before the test. We went through the
review, most of it right on the study guide, but there were some things he
was reviewing that I had never heard of. When questioned about it, he said
that they were in the book and we were responsible for everything in the
book. We couldn't really argue with that.

Finally it was time to take the test.

"Leave them face down on the desk until everyone has one and I'll tell you
to start," our professor instructed.

When we turned them over, every answer on the test was filled in! The
bottom of the last page said the following:

"This is the end of the Final Exam. All the answers on your test are
correct. You will receive an 'A' on the final exam. The reason you passed
the test is because the creator of the test took it for you. All the work
you did in preparation for this test did not help you get the A. You have
just experienced...GRACE

He then went around the room and asked each student individually, "What is
your grade? Do you deserve the grade you are receiving? How much did all
your studying for this exam help you achieve your final grade?"

Now I am not a crier by any stretch of the imagination, but I had to fight
back tears when answering those questions and thinking about how the
Creator has passed the test for me.

Discussion afterward went like this: "I have tried to teach you all
semester that you are a recipient of grace. I've tried to communicate to
you that you need to demonstrate this gift as you work with young people.

Don't hammer them; they are not the enemy. Help them, for they will carry
on your ministry if it is full of GRACE!

Talking about how some of us had probably studied hours and some just a few
minutes, but had all received the same grade, he pointed to a story Jesus
told in Matthew 20. The owner of a vineyard hired people to work in his
field and agreed to pay them a certain amount. Several different times
during the day, he hired more workers. When it was time to pay them, they
all received the same amount. When the ones who had been hired first thing
in the morning began complaining, the boss said, Should you be angry
because I am kind? (Matthew 20:15).

The teacher said he had never done this kind of final before and probably
would never do it again, but because of the content of many of our class
discussions, he felt like we needed to experience grace.

Have you thanked your Creator today because of the grace you have experienced?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 4 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #29

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Beautiful! What a different world this would be if only we could each take His Grace to heart.

Just have to add Tim Calhoun singing "Your Grace".

This post has been edited by PeacefulBe: Jan 4 2008, 04:46 PM

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jan 4 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #30

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Johann @ Jan 4 2008, 04:33 PM) *
A friend sent me a story this morninng. I hope it is all right to post it here?

I left work early so I could have some uninterrupted study time right
before the final in my Youth Issues class. When I got to class, everybody
was doing their last minute studying. The teacher came in and said he would
review with us for just a little bit before the test. We went through the
review, most of it right on the study guide, but there were some things he
was reviewing that I had never heard of. When questioned about it, he said
that they were in the book and we were responsible for everything in the
book. We couldn't really argue with that.

Finally it was time to take the test.

"Leave them face down on the desk until everyone has one and I'll tell you
to start," our professor instructed.

When we turned them over, every answer on the test was filled in! The
bottom of the last page said the following:

"This is the end of the Final Exam. All the answers on your test are
correct. You will receive an 'A' on the final exam. The reason you passed
the test is because the creator of the test took it for you. All the work
you did in preparation for this test did not help you get the A. You have
just experienced...GRACE

He then went around the room and asked each student individually, "What is
your grade? Do you deserve the grade you are receiving? How much did all
your studying for this exam help you achieve your final grade?"

Now I am not a crier by any stretch of the imagination, but I had to fight
back tears when answering those questions and thinking about how the
Creator has passed the test for me.

Discussion afterward went like this: "I have tried to teach you all
semester that you are a recipient of grace. I've tried to communicate to
you that you need to demonstrate this gift as you work with young people.

Don't hammer them; they are not the enemy. Help them, for they will carry
on your ministry if it is full of GRACE!

Talking about how some of us had probably studied hours and some just a few
minutes, but had all received the same grade, he pointed to a story Jesus
told in Matthew 20. The owner of a vineyard hired people to work in his
field and agreed to pay them a certain amount. Several different times
during the day, he hired more workers. When it was time to pay them, they
all received the same amount. When the ones who had been hired first thing
in the morning began complaining, the boss said, Should you be angry
because I am kind? (Matthew 20:15).

The teacher said he had never done this kind of final before and probably
would never do it again, but because of the content of many of our class
discussions, he felt like we needed to experience grace.

Have you thanked your Creator today because of the grace you have experienced?

Johann, I suggest a more appropiate place to post stories like this is in the Devotional Story section of BSDA.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:53 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church