Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10635&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:45:17 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Palm Springs Cancels 3abn, And any other action news
beartrap
post Aug 29 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #31

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659

Gerald Penick approved the Desert Hot Springs Church for hosting a 3ABN fund raising rally to be held September 9. It will feature Danny Shelton, Tommy Shelton, and Steve Darmody. The Elders of the church voted unanymously to host this rally.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Aug 29 2006, 11:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 29 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #32

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(beartrap @ Aug 29 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]148836[/snapback]

Gerald Penick approved the Desert Hot Springs Church for hosting a 3ABN fund raising rally to be held September 9. It will feature Danny Shelton, Tommy Shelton, and Steve Darmody. The Elders of the church voted unanymously to host this rally.

Disappointing, but not surprising. sad.gif Guess my letter to the prez didn't mean much to him. The rest is left to be seen. scratchchin.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Aug 30 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #33

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Aug 29 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]148838[/snapback]

Disappointing, but not surprising. sad.gif Guess my letter to the prez didn't mean much to him. The rest is left to be seen. scratchchin.gif

I, personally, think your letter did mean something.

And one more thing. Don't make the mistake of presuming all 30 of those attending weekly are aware of everything and agree with it.

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: Aug 30 2006, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post Aug 30 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #34

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(beartrap @ Aug 29 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]148836[/snapback]

that is because either they are not aware about all the goings on at 3abn..... or they know and don't care......

I am curious, is this church a predominantly black church, white church or mixed?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 30 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #35

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

The temp. pastor of that church is Irven Thomsen. He was employed, for a short time, at 3-ABN. He left their employment after becoming concerned over certain issues that he became aware of.

He is to be commended for taking an ethical stand which resulted in his leaving their employment.

Whatever we do, we should not criticize him.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Clay
post Aug 30 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 30 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]148851[/snapback]

The temp. pastor of that church is Irven Thomsen. He was employed, for a short time, at 3-ABN. He left their employment after becoming concerned over certain issues that he became aware of.

He is to be commended for taking an ethical stand which resulted in his leaving their employment.
Whatever we do, we should not criticize him.

yes we should... or remember that some pastors are reluctant to stand up for what they know is right..... you indicated that he left the employment of 3abn after ethical concerns..... yet sonshine reported this:

"I spoke with the pastor of the Desert Hot Springs Church (Irven Thomsen, interim pastor filling in for just a short time), and he said that his church leadership has decided to turn it over to the Southeastern CA Conference president, Gerald Pennick, and let him make the final decision."

rather than make a decision he kicks it up to the prez... does he share with the prez his concerns about 3abn, or is he satisfied that he does not have to make the decision? If he informs the president of his concerns about 3abn and the president decides to go ahead with the rally fine, but if he puts the whole thing in the presidents lap and never shares what he knows... that is a cop out.... a Herod, Pilate kind of thing.... but that's just from where I sit....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 30 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #37

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Clay @ Aug 30 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]148855[/snapback]

yes we should... or remember that some pastors are reluctant to stand up for what they know is right..... you indicated that he left the employment of 3abn after ethical concerns..... yet sonshine reported this:
rather than make a decision he kicks it up to the prez... does he share with the prez his concerns about 3abn, or is he satisfied that he does not have to make the decision? If he informs the president of his concerns about 3abn and the president decides to go ahead with the rally fine, but if he puts the whole thing in the presidents lap and never shares what he knows... that is a cop out.... a Herod, Pilate kind of thing.... but that's just from where I sit....

This post has been edited by Johann: Aug 30 2006, 07:29 AM

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
lurker
post Aug 30 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Knowing these appearances are fund raisers and that people might be duped out of their money to line Danny's pockets in one of these meetings is I guess what bothers me the most. I think someone ought to be there to ask them a few questions in public. Danny shouldn't be the only one who gets to do all the talking.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 30 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #39

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ Aug 30 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]148855[/snapback]

There were reasons it was "kicked up" as you say. It was not the pastors choice that it be kicked up. He was more then ready to give an answer. He does not have the power to make a choice when he also has elders that are making the choice. Assuming the way to take are of it was to kick it up, the prez most likely spoke to these elders, and as you saw, beartrap said the elders voted unanimously. It's all too familiar of a backdrop. One person shouts from the hilltop "watch out!" having the advantage of the climb and what's below, and the rest not being at the hiltop THINK they know what's best for them already....it's call blindful bliss. Too bad we can't have hind sight in front of us. (sorry, had to change my wording, it didn't come out like I wanted the first time)

This is NOT the pastors fault. I'm sure there was some "informing". And it is very frustrating to watch. But this is nothing new under the sun.

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: Aug 30 2006, 08:34 AM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

+Quote Post
Observer
post Aug 30 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #40

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

[/quote]

The issues as to why he left 3-ABN are known in the Conference in which he works. I cannot immagine the President not being informed of the issues at the time he was placed on the Conference pastoral staff.

Due to the statements regarding the posision of the local elders, and the fact that he was simply a temp. pastor to the congregation, I believe he felt that he had no other choice.

I think that we should not criticize him. I think that this is especially true due to the stand he took at 3-ABN. Sometimes the issues are cut and dried, and very clear. At other times they are not so clear, this was likely the case due to his perception of his authority. He very well may not have had the authority to do anything else.

This post has been edited by Observer: Aug 30 2006, 08:13 AM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
calvin
post Aug 30 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #41

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 30 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]148870[/snapback]

The issues as to why he left 3-ABN are known in the Conference in which he works. I cannot immagine the President not being informed of the issues at the time he was placed on the Conference pastoral staff.

Due to the statements regarding the posision of the local elders, and the fact that he was simply a temp. pastor to the congregation, I believe he felt that he had no other choice.

I think that we should not criticize him. I think that this is especially true due to the stand he took at 3-ABN. Sometimes the issues are cut and dried, and very clear. At other times they are not so clear, this was likely the case due to his perception of his authority. He very well may not have had the authority to do anything else.

I agree Observer. Pastors often don’t rule with absolute authority, especially when you have a congregation of well educated independent thinkers…and he was a temp. pastor at that.. He may have been out voted and it came to this. Difficult for me to pass judgment with the information we have here.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 30 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #42

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(calvin @ Aug 30 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]148874[/snapback]

I agree Observer. Pastors often don’t rule with absolute authority, especially when you have a congregation of well educated independent thinkers…and he was a temp. pastor at that.. He may have been out voted and it came to this. Difficult for me to pass judgment with the information we have here.

Calvin,
You hit the nail on the head.
He was out voted.
That's the bottom line.
May or may not have had anything to do with him being a interim pastor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Truly Blonde
post Aug 30 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,160

QUOTE(Observer @ Aug 30 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]148870[/snapback]

Your statement that the conference president knows why he left 3abn may not be accurate. I think sometimes we give to much credit for people knowing all the facts. Last Sabbath the Ministerial Secretary of our Union was at our church. After the worship service my husband went to him and asked him if he was aware of the mess at 3abn. He told us he didn't know anything about it. When my husband told him just some of the things we have been reading here he told us he was sure the General Conference would take care of any problems. He also told us that only the local church could do anything about Danny. We told him that the church was owned by Danny. Thankfully, when he said people should then go to the conference, our pastor was there and he said he had received a letter from either the pastor or the Dr. (I don't remember which)that the president of the conference was on the board of 3abn. He then told us we should be out saving souls and not spending our time on these rumors. We were a bit discouraged. We came away with the realization that even though there are a lot of people reading the posts on blacksda there are many more who know nothing is going on. Also in our S.S. class my husband told our class we needed to be praying for 3abn (we did) there were some in our class who made the comment that they were uncomfortable with my husband bring up a problem within the church. They felt any problem 3abn had should not be talked about!!!!! and he didn't even tell them what the problem was just said we needed to pray for 3abn. Johann I know you think we are at critical mass but it doesn't seem that way to me. Any words of encouragement? please.gif

PS If I knew how to just get the part of the quote I wanted this wouldn't be so long. Sorry
Truly Blonde

+Quote Post
Johann
post Aug 30 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #44

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Truly Blonde @ Aug 30 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]148884[/snapback]

Johann I know you think we are at critical mass but it doesn't seem that way to me. Any words of encouragement? please.gif

---y
Truly Blonde

Danny is back from Russia. Probably reay for another round.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Freedom
post Aug 30 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 1,913

QUOTE(Clay @ Aug 30 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]148855[/snapback]

Excuse, me but...............!!!

Ervin Thomsen did give the head elder information regarding 3ABN and felt best if the Conference Prez. made the decision since he was a former employee of 3ABN. He does NOT support what has taken place at 3ABN. Ervin along with other workers took a stand against some things that took place.
Those of you that know the inner workings of 3ABN know the problems that arise to ones that take a stand for RIGHT!

Someone asked about DHS church, it is very small and guessing that there are 30 in "regular" attendance is being generous! I have been to this church on several occasions. I know the head elder and his wife and their two boys. This is a white church and most of the "elders" are snowbirders and away at this time. It is in a small desert town .....

I would suggest calling the DHS church and leaving a message and the head elder (Tom Moen) will call you back

(760) 251 9992 Church

Or else one could call the Southeastern conference office. Their contact information has already been posted.

This post has been edited by Freedom: Aug 30 2006, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:45 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church