Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10733&st=45 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:54:46 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Security At 3abn, Necessity or Paranoia?
inga
post Sep 8 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #46

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 577

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 8 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]150848[/snapback]

Perimeter security aside... how can that level of audio/visual monitoring of the employees be justified? Monitoring their conversations out in the parking lot? Sheesh!

My thoughts exactly, before I read your post, Beartrap.

It seems to me that the perimeter security and the audio/visual monitoring supposedly set off by key phrases (I don't see how that's possible. Maybe someone can enlighten me) sends a message greater than the sum of its parts. And that message is what folks here were responding to and fhb ignored.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Sep 8 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #47

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Ralph @ Sep 4 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]149776[/snapback]

How long have they had these security doors and what seems to be the general reaction to them? Probably the most important question, don't the doors have crash bars in case of fire?

Hey HOTY, did you ever tell us if there are crash bars on the doors? Did I miss that? dunno.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Sep 9 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #48

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(inga @ Sep 8 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]150864[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, before I read your post, Beartrap.

It seems to me that the perimeter security and the audio/visual monitoring supposedly set off by key phrases (I don't see how that's possible. Maybe someone can enlighten me) sends a message greater than the sum of its parts. And that message is what folks here were responding to and fhb ignored.

Key words/phrases are programmed into the security software that operates the servers recording the A/V and when the system recognizes one of those words/phrases it alerts on it and makes the administrator aware, giving her/him the opportunity to zero in on that conversation, live or recorded, and listen to it. This is something that 3ABN has been doing with the email and telephone systems for a couple of years.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Sep 9 2006, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Sep 9 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #49

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 9 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]150876[/snapback]

Key words/phrases are programmed into the security software that operates the servers recording the A/V and when the system recognizes one of those words/phrases it alerts on it and makes the administrator aware, giving her/him the opportunity to zero in on that conversation, live or recorded, and listen to it. This is something that 3ABN has been doing with the email and telephone systems for a couple of years.

hmm...Maybe George Orwell was not so far fetchced back in 1948 when he wrote the novel 1984. Big Brother is alive and well in West Frankfort. I know some companies who are concerned about industrial espionage employ security measures like those described above. I guess Danny is concerned about espionage as well. Do the rank and file employees know that they are being spied on in this way? scratchchin.gif I would be hard pressed to work for such an organization that "big brothered" me like that. Perish the thought...maybe I do and I am blissfully unaware of such a thing! no.gif

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
husbandoftheyear
post Sep 9 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Sep 8 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]150867[/snapback]

Hey HOTY, did you ever tell us if there are crash bars on the doors? Did I miss that? dunno.gif

No - you didn't miss anything. I'm sure that FHB can enlighten you!

rofl1.gif

(Just poking fun FHB - please don't write a law-book size response...)

Seriously - no - there are not crash bars on the doors.

--------------------
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
fallible humanbe...
post Sep 9 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(husbandoftheyear @ Sep 9 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]151003[/snapback]

Well, I don't post that often - in small bunches - so of course I have so much saved up they have to be long. When I think you have run out of serious reading material I post more . . .

- fhb

--------------------
But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. - Yoda

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see. - Henry David Thoreau

May those who love us love us. And those who don’t love us– may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. - Keeping Faith

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Sep 10 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #52

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(husbandoftheyear @ Sep 9 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]151003[/snapback]

rofl1.gif

And has someone called OSHA about this? Here is the code for ANY building in the US. Also, one other thing, what happens if there is a fire? Do these doors open automatically? Have you thought about getting all the employees outside in the parking lot and refuse to go in untill the "security" system keeps people from getting in, but not out? With no windows in much of the place, that also breaks the egress code...read this:

Means of egress. - 1926.34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) - Table of Contents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Part Number: 1926
• Part Title: Safety and Health Regulations for Construction
• Subpart: C
• Subpart Title: General Safety and Health Provisions
• Standard Number: 1926.34
• Title: Means of egress.

1926.34(a)

"General." In every building or structure exits shall be so arranged and maintained as to provide free and unobstructed egress from all parts of the building or structure at all times when it is occupied. No lock or fastening to prevent free escape from the inside of any building shall be installed except in mental, penal, or corrective institutions where supervisory personnel is continually on duty and effective provisions are made to remove occupants in case of fire or other emergency.

1926.34(cool.gif

"Exit marking." Exits shall be marked by a readily visible sign. Access to exits shall be marked by readily visible signs in all cases where the exit or way to reach it is not immediately visible to the occupants.

1926.34©

"Maintenance and workmanship." Means of egress shall be continually maintained free of all obstructions or impediments to full instant use in the case of fire or other emergency.

[58 FR 35083; June 30, 1993]

Here is the link too
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.sh...&p_id=10620

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:54 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church