Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10865&st=90 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:52:42 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ellen White Quote
AmeliaLD
post Sep 24 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,692

Some could cite that this is God showing His preference for Hondas instead of Toyotas.

Oh come on...we all know that God would only buy American. roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Sep 24 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #92

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

rofl1.gif
QUOTE(AmeliaLD @ Sep 24 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]153451[/snapback]

Oh come on...we all know that God would only buy American. roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 25 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #93

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Sep 24 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]153422[/snapback]

But people do this very thing all the time; they take something EGW said that was a specific piece of counsel to a specific set of circumstances and they extrapolate a universal application that all are expected to abide by lest they be deemed rejecting the counsel of God through His prophet...

This is the inherent danger and flaw in using EGW's writings as if they are some kind of theological trump card, overriding and outweighing everything and anything else.

In His service,
Mr. J

Too true Mr J and hence we got or used to have the following Do nots that entered Adventist culture

Do not have baths on Sabbath
Do not intermarry racially

(There are probably more)

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
lurker
post Sep 25 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

This is the first time I have heard that you can't marry out of your race. In my SDA church in Michigan this isn't an issue. And I shower every Sabbath morning before heading for church. This sounds like something out of the 1930's.

This post has been edited by lurker: Sep 25 2006, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Sep 25 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #95

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

I'm from Lake Region and am currently in South Central Conference...it is not an issue here either.... spoton.gif
QUOTE(lurker @ Sep 25 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]153554[/snapback]

This is the first time I have heard that you can't marry out of your race. In my SDA church in Michigan this isn't an issue. And I shower every Sabbath morning before heading for church. This sounds like something out of the 1930's.

I hope we all shower every morning! rofl1.gif

The idea of Preparation Day--and being ready for the Sabbath is still valid scriptutrally, IMO. The issue is to how far in extremes you go with it...

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 25 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #96

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(lurker @ Sep 25 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]153554[/snapback]

the bath one was being practised up to the 1990's the other one well people don't need an excuse to reinforce existing prejudices afro.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Sep 25 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #97

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Sep 24 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]153422[/snapback]

But people do this very thing all the time; they take something EGW said that was a specific piece of counsel to a specific set of circumstances and they extrapolate a universal application that all are expected to abide by lest they be deemed rejecting the counsel of God through His prophet...

This is the inherent danger and flaw in using EGW's writings as if they are some kind of theological trump card, overriding and outweighing everything and anything else.

In His service,
Mr. J

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 25 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]153552[/snapback]

Too true Mr J and hence we got or used to have the following Do nots that entered Adventist culture

Do not have baths on Sabbath
Do not intermarry racially

(There are probably more)

While it is all too true (and sad) that such things have been done, and in some sectors may still be being done, isn't it time that we tore our eyes away from the negatives of the past and turned them instead on the positives of the trajectory of Ellen White studies for the future?

See for example, the writings of Arthur Patrick on the At Issue pages, http://sdanet.org/atissue/white/index.htm and also the MP3 files (or Google videos) of The Ellen White Summit Conference held in Oregon, Nov. 2005. http://ellenwhitesummit.foxyresearch.com/

There is definitely a new day dawning in "Ellen White Apologetics". We are not "there" yet, but I think it will help us get there more quickly if more "catch the wave" and "ride its crest", to use a Patrick metaphor.

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Sep 25 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #98

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(watchbird @ Sep 25 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]153565[/snapback]

While it is all too true (and sad) that such things have been done, and in some sectors may still be being done, isn't it time that we tore our eyes away from the negatives of the past and turned them instead on the positives of the trajectory of Ellen White studies for the future?

See for example, the writings of Arthur Patrick on the At Issue pages, http://sdanet.org/atissue/white/index.htm and also the MP3 files (or Google videos) of The Ellen White Summit Conference held in Oregon, Nov. 2005. http://ellenwhitesummit.foxyresearch.com/

There is definitely a new day dawning in "Ellen White Apologetics". We are not "there" yet, but I think it will help us get there more quickly if more "catch the wave" and "ride its crest", to use a Patrick metaphor.

I totally agree with you, watchbird... in my experience, however, I have found that until people realize they are headed in the direction of the 'negatives of the past', they are not going to see any need on their part to alter that direction...

One could argue that such a myopia is an inevitable result of the "we have the truth" mindset that is so prevalent among us... but that would be another topic for another time, n'est-ce pas?

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
justme
post Sep 25 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,056

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Sep 25 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]153558[/snapback]

I'm from Lake Region and am currently in South Central Conference...it is not an issue here either.... spoton.gif
I hope we all shower every morning! rofl1.gif

The idea of Preparation Day--and being ready for the Sabbath is still valid scriptutrally, IMO. The issue is to how far in extremes you go with it...

Here is a little background on the "Preparsation Day" and the "Not Bathing On Sabbath" thing. My grandfather was little boy when his family were friends with James and Ellen White. James and Ellen used to bring wooden toys made in their woodworking shop (James used to make chairs)to my grandfather at Christmas time. Janes and Ellen loved to say "Thank you" to the Gospel Workers she knew at thea time.

We also learned that food preparation used to be much more involved than it is today. They had no freezera or microwave ovens so they had to gather from the garden, clean, cut, slice, dice, by hand to get food ready. She suggested that it would make Sabbath much more pleasant for all if these things were done on Friday. Cooking was done in a wood burning stove, a fire had to be built, and so on.

The same is true of BATHING. The big old tub was brought on from outside (usually) so bathing could be done more discretely. It was setin tyhe middle of the floor so many times furniture had to be moved out of the way. A fire was built out doors to heat the water. Another laborious chore. The hot water hauled in to the tub. No wonder they avoided the bath except at special times.

Now we have instant hot water, the shower or tub is always ready, the food can be kept overnight in refrigerators and microwaved int ime for Sabbath lunch.

She also counselled against riding bicycles at one time because it was such a fas that people spent family food and cl;othing money on bicycles just to be "in style on the boardwalk". Bicycles were very expensive (before Monarch and Schwinn, etc) and people were wasting a lot of time riding around in circles to be seen and admired. The problem was not the bicycle, it was the personal application of it's uses. missionaries love them in the jungles to travel from village to village.

No big deal. But some people has lost the context of the practicality of her messages.

Grtandfather has some wonderful times with her and James. He said they were quite funny and laughed a lot. Willie was a great source of family humor to the Whites. Ellen as a wonderful lady!

At one time I was "clubbed over the head" by some who misused her messages, until I learned to read her in context and pray for wisdom to understand what it meant to me.

I have healed ...!

Now she is helping to heal me. I have found wonderful counsel for healing my heart and body. Ans she was right, 120 years before science learned it, that cancer was cause by a "virus".

###

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Sep 25 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #100

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Sep 25 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]153591[/snapback]

I totally agree with you, watchbird... in my experience, however, I have found that until people realize they are headed in the direction of the 'negatives of the past', they are not going to see any need on their part to alter that direction...

Wellllll...... this may be true for some, but I'd consider it a "last resort".... and if it turned out to be a "last resort" I'd kinda suspect that it wouldn't do any good anyhow. I've found it much more productive to give the other the benefit of the doubt and put the best construction on their use of the passage.... if possible.... and then go examine the context and show how that puts a different light on the way they have applied it. Hey ... it doesn't always work ... but it's a whale of a lot easier on the head than wallbash.gif ...... yes.gif

One could argue that such a myopia is an inevitable result of the "we have the truth" mindset that is so prevalent among us... but that would be another topic for another time, n'est-ce pas?
In His service,
Mr. J

Actually it is probably a part of this topic..... and part of the solution to taking Ellen in context and thus making her truly useful rather than a rusticated old tire iron not good for much other than head bashing bangin.gif . For all too often, the idea that "we have the truth" goes hand in hand with the idea that all truth is to be found in Ellen's writings. When if we would go with open eyes to see how her advice stacks up against that given by other Christian thinkers, we would end up having a lot more respect for both her and the other Christian thinkers.... since so often they say essentially the same things about a large number of essential areas.

Take the two specific topics on which we recently had some Ellen White quotes given ... that of the moral character of persons allowed to occupy our pulpits, and the topic of glossalalia. On both of those issues Evangelical as well as traditional Christian writers have written a LOT of material which takes the same exact positions that Ellen has taken in the quotes we saw. If we but understood that, it would both make us a lot more secure in our own belief system and in Ellen's writings, and a lot less liable to the temptations to spiritual pride as evidenced by our clinging to our suposed "uniqueness" as evidence that "we have the truth".... with the implications both that we are the only ones who have any truth and that we have no truth to learn. Both of which, I know you agree, are equally wrongheaded.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Sep 25 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #101

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Watchbird, thanks so much for the links!

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:52 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church