Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11022&st=60 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:52:58 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Ellen White Reality Check..., something long overdue...
Seraphim7
post Sep 29 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #61

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Sep 27 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]153899[/snapback]

amen.gif
Some to many Black SDA churches in major cities to not place her writing before the Bible...some do not even make regular inferences to EGW....

Well, is it "some or many"? And have you attend all of those some or many churches you speak of to make said statement? Yes/No or, have tried but it became to tiresome and or costly doing all that traveling? Please share. yes.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 29 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #62

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(seraph|m @ Sep 29 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]154419[/snapback]

Well, is it "some or many"? And have you attend all of those some or many churches you speak of to make said statement? Yes/No or, have tried but it became to tiresome and or costly doing all that traveling? Please share. yes.gif

I can't speak to black churches in urban areas, not having been to even one in a long time sadwalk.gif. But in my experience, it depends on the local body.

Right now I live in a very rural part of the country where some congregations use her all the time, to the point of using her to interpret the Bible, and some don't. I think it mostly depends on the lay leadership (since the pastors aren't necessarily there every Sabbath).

It was the same thing when I lived overseas. Individual congregations vary in flavor elsewhere too.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Sep 29 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #63

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Sep 29 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]154421[/snapback]

I can't speak to black churches in urban areas, not having been to even one in a long time sadwalk.gif. But in my experience, it depends on the local body.

Right now I live in a very rural part of the country where some congregations use her all the time, to the point of using her to interpret the Bible, and some don't. I think it mostly depends on the lay leadership (since the pastors aren't necessarily there every Sabbath).

It was the same thing when I lived overseas. Individual congregations vary in flavor elsewhere too.

Though this is true, I was asking SS because her statement suggests she knows for a fact what is or is not going on in some to must churches. Hoping to get some clarification from her. You know, get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. yes.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 29 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #64

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

the fact is that her writings are used incorrectly.... and they are used in a manner she would not have liked... Now let's deal with the issues of the church covering up the leaderships reservations about her writings and how they should be used.... not to mention they met about it then buring the minutes of the meeting for decades....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Sep 30 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #65

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,189

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 29 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]154437[/snapback]

the fact is that her writings are used incorrectly.... and they are used in a manner she would not have liked... Now let's deal with the issues of the church covering up the leaderships reservations about her writings and how they should be used.... not to mention they met about it then buring the minutes of the meeting for decades....

And God's Word is often used incorrectly as well. And tithe gets used incorrectly. And the spiritual gifts get used for selfish purposes. And God's grace is abused. Christ's sacrifice will be in vain for many.

Fact is: we live on a sinful planet in the midst of a war. Fact is, Ellen White didn't like that, nor does God, nor do I.

--------------------
To copyright man's creation is to plagiarize God's gifts.

"Our salvation depends on a knowledge of the truth contained in the Scriptures." (COL 111.3)

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 30 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #66

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Green Cochoa @ Sep 30 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]154482[/snapback]

And God's Word is often used incorrectly as well. And tithe gets used incorrectly. And the spiritual gifts get used for selfish purposes. And God's grace is abused. Christ's sacrifice will be in vain for many.

Fact is: we live on a sinful planet in the midst of a war. Fact is, Ellen White didn't like that, nor does God, nor do I.

and?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 30 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #67

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

The fact remains that many....Many - more than not... (per my visitation of at least 50 different churches in the north to the south; east to west) have stated a Bible scripture; and then stated something akin to...

"We know this to be a fact because EG White also states...."

OR

"Sister White says......and this we know is true...."

That is it. Point Blank.

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Sep 30 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #68

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

snack.gif deep thoughts thus far!!!

+Quote Post
Hersheys99
post Sep 30 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #69

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,672

Then they wonder why some people have a problem & quit attending church when its their self righteous attitudes that caused it or should I say Holier than thou attitudes. dunno.gif

--------------------
My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first one being -- hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
-Erma Bombeck-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
(Unknown)

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 30 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #70

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(Hersheys99 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]154525[/snapback]

Then they wonder why some people have a problem & quit attending church when its their self righteous attitudes that caused it or should I say Holier than thou attitudes. dunno.gif

yes.gif

snack.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Oct 1 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #71

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,902

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Sep 30 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]154503[/snapback]
The fact remains that many....Many - more than not... (per my visitation of at least 50 different churches in the north to the south; east to west) have stated a Bible scripture; and then stated something akin to...

"We know this to be a fact because EG White also states...."

OR

"Sister White says......and this we know is true...."

That is it. Point Blank.
That sounds just wrong...

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Oct 1 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #72

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(västergötland @ Oct 1 2006, 02:58 AM) [snapback]154571[/snapback]

That sounds just wrong...

Yes...it sounds wrong.
...but it is repeated many Sabbaths in many churches.

dunno.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Oct 1 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #73

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Oct 1 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]154589[/snapback]

Yes...it sounds wrong.
...but it is repeated many Sabbaths in many churches.

dunno.gif

Would you consider it "self-righteous" or "wrong" to quote, say, Exodus 20:8 and James 2:10 and then say that we know that the Sabbath is God's law and it's wrong to break it?

--------------------

"Our salvation depends on a knowledge of the truth contained in the Scriptures." (COL 111.3)

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Oct 1 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #74

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

QUOTE(Green Cochoa @ Oct 1 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]154594[/snapback]

Would you consider it "self-righteous" or "wrong" to quote, say, Exodus 20:8 and James 2:10 and then say that we know that the Sabbath is God's law and it's wrong to break it?

What I feel is "wrong" is to say that the Bible is "Right" due to this "agreeing" with EG White..... or even taking it further....

"This is against the Bible - however EG White says it this way so...it must be right..."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Oct 1 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #75

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Oct 1 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]154602[/snapback]

What I feel is "wrong" is to say that the Bible is "Right" due to this "agreeing" with EG White..... or even taking it further....

"This is against the Bible - however EG White says it this way so...it must be right..."

And do you have a list of things that are "against" the Bible which Ellen White says?

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:52 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church