Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1144&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:44:29 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This Should Not Be News, But it is.
Clay
post Jun 22 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #16

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

Good point Darius..... as to the self-delusion..... hmmmm I am always like that.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 22 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #17

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(mizrobby @ Jun 22 2004, 05:28 AM)
In terms of bright lights and false lights--My husband and I have a good friend who is now divorced from her husband. Previously, she and her husband were indirectly connected to the 3ABN family. She and her husband were similar in appearance and behavior to the Shelton's although they are African American. He was extremely fanatical in his views, would interrupt the Pastor while he was preaching to say the Pastor was in error. She would be quite embarrassed and beg him to talk with the Pastor after church rather than being disruptive. He was brilliant and could break down God's word like not many others. His Bible studies, I understand, were unmatched by any. Years ago, I could see that our friend was miserable in her marriage, but I couldn't put my finger on it, other than I knew she didn't want to live that kind of strict life. Needless to say, when she finally decided to divorce her husband, she revealed that he was whipping her behind on a regular basis (oh, she did fight back but he was a former pro athlete, so to not much avail). He refused to give her a divorce until one Sunday morning, a group of us decided to have breakfast together at one of the local eateries. I looked up and saw him with a much younger woman--one of his Bible students, both wrapped up in love and lip-locking. He's 50+ and the young lady was approx. 22 years of age. He had dyed his hair black and had on makeup. I almost didn't recognize him. Well, there was a big commotion--most of us in our group were church officers and he was indeed busted. The young lady didn't realize he was still married.He finally granted her a divorce after more than 3 years of fighting against it. She is still trying to de-program from years of brainwashing and abuse.

Point is--it is so important that we are convicted by God and not dictated to by man. If your public image is not your private convictions, you will soon unravel privately and then publically. Even E.G. speaks in Adventist Home about not giving your will to man and in doing so, it becomes a sin. It also sets a dangerous precedent when we judge others by our own righteous standards. We can't divine what others are going thru and would be petrified if others knew what we are going through. Let's keep one another lifted up in sincere and fervent prayer. We all need it and prayer is an underutilized resource. Jesus is indeed, ON HIS WAY...

Just sad situations. Lord help us all. We should all be in prayer for the current situation and those affected by this ministry.

I know Pastor Lomacang and his wife. They used to pastor in this area, and attend our church as often as possible. He and Doug Bachelor used to participate in the round table discussion with pastors from other denominations on a local TV religious program. They were excellent, without be condescending I might add.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_kountzer_*
post Jun 22 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #18

Guests

My goodness Di, you have the word condescending on the brain. Mix some patronizing up in that mix. It means basically the same thing.

Db cool.gif

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 22 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #19

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(kountzer @ Jun 22 2004, 03:36 PM)
My goodness Di, you have the word condescending on the brain. Mix some patronizing up in that mix. It means basically the same thing.

Db cool.gif

Hush, DB! tongue.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jun 22 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #20

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(claborn1960 @ Jun 22 2004, 07:41 AM)
Good point MizRobby,
In another forum it was pointed out that we do not have enough info to "take sides" in terms of who was innocent and who is/was guilty. I do know that she will be putting up a website soon.... www.lindashelton.org

Perhaps her side of the situation will be told.....

p.s. sorry Calvin if that is a breach of protocol.... if it is I am sure you will edit..... smile.gif

No offense taken Clay. I know you are not out to hustle us.

My Mother told me that Curtis has had go back and re-tape all his programs on 3ABN to get Linda out of the programs. Have not spoke to my brother about this, makes for good gossip and discussion. I am like Darius, just pray for the family and what they are going through. Differcult for us to pass judgement.

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 23 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE(calvin @ Jun 22 2004, 11:24 PM)
My Mother told me that Curtis has had go back and re-tape all his programs on 3ABN to get Linda out of the programs.

Again I ask, what is the sense behind this? This reflects a certain amount of vindictiveness. In our hymnals we have songs written by people with all sorts of shady backgrounds yet we will remove the praise songs a woman sang because she disappointed us? Where is the testimony in this? Oh, I know what is behind this. Money. They are trying to preserve their source of funding; those ultra-conservative Adventists who will only support the cause of Christ if it does what they want. Whatever Linda may have done 3ABN's reaction is disgraceful (but very Adventist).

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 23 2004, 09:07 AM
Post #22

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(statrei @ Jun 23 2004, 04:24 AM)
Again I ask, what is the sense behind this? This reflects a certain amount of vindictiveness. In our hymnals we have songs written by people with all sorts of shady backgrounds yet we will remove the praise songs a woman sang because she disappointed us? Where is the testimony in this? Oh, I know what is behind this. Money. They are trying to preserve their source of funding; those ultra-conservative Adventists who will only support the cause of Christ if it does what they want. Whatever Linda may have done 3ABN's reaction is disgraceful (but very Adventist).

I thought this kind of extreme, also.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 23 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #23

Guests

After reading my last post I would add that I am disappointed the Curtis went along with the suggestion to re-tape his programs. This is disgraceful. I can't say it strongly enough. furious.gif

+Quote Post
pmorris68
post Jun 24 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 399

QUOTE(statrei @ Jun 23 2004, 09:45 AM)
After reading my last post I would add that I am disappointed the Curtis went along with the suggestion to re-tape his programs. This is disgraceful. I can't say it strongly enough. furious.gif

Well that is the typical ultra conservative Adventist way. They don't deal with nothing... Just pretend its not happening. Sad very sad! no.gif

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Jun 24 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #25

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(statrei @ Jun 23 2004, 11:45 AM)

You assume it was a suggestion. And while I recognize the opportunity to take a stand on principle may have gone by the boards, I can't hold Calvin's brother accountable for doing his job and meeting his contractul obligation.

I do hold Danny Shelton and 3ABN management accountable for being generally spiteful in forcing the shows to be retaped so she was not included, however. Their actions demonstrate a clear lack of forgiveness... but Calvin's brother is not wrong for staying clear of what is nothing more than the fallout of the demise of the Shelton's marriage, IMO.

In His service,
Kevin Josey

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 24 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Jun 24 2004, 07:29 AM)
I do hold Danny Shelton and 3ABN management accountable for being generally spiteful in forcing the shows to be retaped so she was not included, however.

LIving with a man with that mentality it makes you wonder what Linda lived through. Humpty Dumpty was pushed. 2guns.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 24 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #27

Guests

Kevin, I am not holding Curtis responsible. I said I was disappointed. As to contractual obligation, I can think of no contract that would require one to go back and retape a perfectly good segment in order to remove someone who have fallen into disrepute. Even future recordings of new segments would be questionable but the argument would have more force there.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 24 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #28

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(statrei @ Jun 24 2004, 04:32 AM)
LIving with a man with that mentality it makes you wonder what Linda lived through. Humpty Dumpty was pushed. 2guns.gif

Same thought crossed my mind, Darius.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 24 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #29

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 24 2004, 02:57 AM)
Well that is the typical ultra conservative Adventist way. They don't deal with nothing... Just pretend its not happening. Sad very sad! no.gif

I agree, but is it God's way. He absolutely does not treat us this way. He wipes our sins from existence, not us. How can they justify these actions, and are they answerable to any governing body?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Nasha
post Jun 24 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #30

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 397

I must say that by the way it's being put, it sounds like how certain athletes are treated when they make mistakes (ads and contracts pulled).
However, you have to call it what it is. 3ABN just followed the way most would in protecting themselves. What would you have done in this situation if you personally were involved?

--------------------
He starts with you

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:44 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church