Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1144&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:44:31 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This Should Not Be News, But it is.
princessdi
post Jun 25 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #31

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

QUOTE(Nasha @ Jun 24 2004, 09:13 PM)
I must say that by the way it's being put, it sounds like how certain athletes are treated when they make mistakes (ads and contracts pulled).
However, you have to call it what it is. 3ABN just followed the way most would in protecting themselves. What would you have done in this situation if you personally were involved?

Being an christian organization that claims that God is it's head, Jesus it's example, 3ABN should probably be the example of biblical forgiveness. They would have looked less vindictive if they had just played to programs with her in them.

Why does 3ABN need to protect themselves? Just like with celebrities who are unfaithful, this is basically an issue between Danny and Linda Shelton. Not the 3ABN board, not the tv audience. If this story is true she sinned against God and betrayed her husband. It is highly inappropriate for her husband to use the 3ABN board as a tool of his hurt, anger and revenge. There was definitely no need for them to make the disclaimer. In fact, you can bet that this disclaimer was to embarrass and destroy her reputation(this is what happens to women who embarrass their prominent SDA husbands, I've see it done before), because most of the viewing audience would not have even known why she disappeared without them telling it, especially at this point. 3ABN should not have done anything, but decide who was to take her place and oversee a smooth transition that would still maintain a Christ-like image. There was no need to paint her as an enemy of 3ABN.

We know that the world's love and admiration of it's celebrities is fickle and fleeting. They place them upon their pedestals only to watch them for an opportunity to tear them down. For the most part these celebrities have just shown that they are human and fallible, like the rest of us. They fall down, they get up. Unfortunately, all before the public eye. We(SDAs,3ABN, christians period) should not be demonstrating this counterfeit love. We should be demonstrating God's unconditional love to the world.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_kountzer_*
post Jun 25 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #32

Guests

They are just protecting themselves. If a media outlet uses someone's likeness or picture, or voice recordings and they are not in agreement with them using it, that station could be sued. It was a wise move.

DB

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jun 25 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

IMO the actions of 3ABN are no different from SDA disfellowship where the member who has "sinned" pratically disappears from the public platform and cannot sing, read the scripture reading, tell a story or do anything else in the church agan until they are baptised because being baptised is a ticket to active SDA membership.

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 25 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE(kountzer @ Jun 25 2004, 06:44 AM)
They are just protecting themselves. If a media outlet uses someone's likeness or picture, or voice recordings and they are not in agreement with them using it, that station could be sued. It was a wise move.

DB

We are speaking here of images from the past. I will grant you the argument for appearances in the future but to go back and take her out of past recordings is pure vindictiveness.

Denny, this is not the same as the treatment of someone who is disfellowshipped. First, you can't go back and cancel their past appearances on the platform. Brochures with their picture are not destroyed. What they have done is similar to what was done in Russia when people who have fallen out of favor with Lenin or one of these guys would suddenly disappear from photographs. Please, do not try to defend this.

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 25 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE(Nasha @ Jun 25 2004, 12:13 AM)
I must say that by the way it's being put, it sounds like how certain athletes are treated when they make mistakes (ads and contracts pulled).
However, you have to call it what it is. 3ABN just followed the way most would in protecting themselves. What would you have done in this situation if you personally were involved?

3ABN was not personally involved. This is a matter between Linda and her husband. Athletes are paid to represent a company so there is no comparison. There is no similar contract to a recording artist. Royalties, assuming that Linda was paid royalties, are not the same as advertising.

+Quote Post
Denny
post Jun 25 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I do not defend what 3ABN did. Unfortunately typed words do not show "dripping sarcasm". But I agree with your point - a disfellowshipped member's past "good" deeds do not magically disappear.

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 25 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #37

Guests

Which means your post was directed at the practice of disfellowshipping. I get it now. In other words, it was all very Adventist. Forgive me for being focused on 3ABN.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 25 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #38

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(kountzer @ Jun 25 2004, 03:44 AM)

DB

No, DB, it was a extremely vindictive move, and most un-Christ-like. Also, quite an expensive move. To not use her in future broadcasts is one thing and understandable, an attempt to erase her from existence is quite another.

Sure, if reports are true, there ar to be consequences for her actions

Is that what God does to us when we fall. Erase us from His memory? We call ourselves His representatives by calling ourselves Christians. When Cain killed Abel, and was afraid that people would kill him, God not only did not disown Cain, He extended His protection to him.

With all that David did, God never even removed him from being king. He forgave him time after time. Sure he paid consquences for his actions, but God never left forsook him.

Where do we get the idea that we should do any less than?

Db, what can 3ABN be sued for? She reportedly cheated on her husband, not embezzled 3ABN funds.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
mizrobby
post Jun 25 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

Maybe those of you who are really concerned about this mishandling should write to 3ABN. It couldn't make things worse and just may quicken someone's erroneous thought processes.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 25 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #40

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(mizrobby @ Jun 25 2004, 09:32 AM)
Maybe those of you who are really concerned about this mishandling should write to 3ABN. It couldn't make things worse and just may quicken someone's erroneous thought processes.

Good idea, MizRobby. I believe I will.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Guest_kountzer_*
post Jun 25 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jun 25 2004, 04:48 PM)

No, DB, it was a extremely vindictive move, and most un-Christ-like. Also, quite an expensive move. 

How would you know Di? It is so easy to kick back and play holier than thou armchair (or in this case, cyber msg board) referee, and christian media mogul. You have no idea how hot the glare is under those lights, or how much sweat goes into maintaining a venture like 3ABN, or how devastating it is to suffer a personal let down like that in the process.

+Quote Post
dmizzle06
post Jun 25 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #42

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(mizrobby @ Jun 25 2004, 11:32 AM)

Yea, I'm sure ya'll can get some clarifying details about the situation if you hear it from the horse's mouth.

--------------------
...y eso es todo tengo que decir.

+Quote Post
Just a Guy
post Jun 26 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

I, for one, could no longer see Linda Shelton on 3ABN without being immediately reminded of what took place. My mind would be far from whatever the program was discussing. I just keep thinking that she's nothing but a fake. I rather prefer that this constant reminder be removed.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jun 26 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #44

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Just a Guy @ Jun 26 2004, 12:20 PM)
I, for one, could no longer see Linda Shelton on 3ABN without being immediately reminded of what took place. My mind would be far from whatever the program was discussing. I just keep thinking that she's nothing but a fake. I rather prefer that this constant reminder be removed.

How do you know it's Linda? It could be Danny? It could be that he is playing it for all its worth..... afterall it is still considered "media" and the "media" has a habit of bending, manipulating at times the truth. I am NOT saying he is doing that, but we do not have enough info to take that position..... in my opinion......

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Guest_kountzer_*
post Jun 26 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #45

Guests

I just hope 3ABN keeps going. I haven't heard where Danny has done anything wrong. There will always be rumors and innuendos in this sort of matter. I enjoyed their combined ministries together. If they can somehow put it back together I for one would continue watching like nothing happened. I am saddened that what ever occurred, (and I really don't want to know) occurred. If that makes sense. Then again, war and sin first broke out in heaven, so we should not be all that shocked when it breaks out in unexpected places here on earth.

DB

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:44 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church