Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11907&st=90 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:46:12 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Danny Steps Down?
Observer
post Dec 28 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #91

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Johann @ Dec 27 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]165926[/snapback]

I am told their individual names were listed in the graphics following the program as . . . Firestone. It is questioned if this is legal as long as Derrell Mundall has not given his consent to it.

A person involved is writing to 3ABN questioning if they cannot be truthful in a minor thing like this, how can 3ABN be trusted as telling the truth in major areas?

Johann, yes, in the US, it is legal. There is not need to write to 3-ABN. No crime has been committed.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Green Cochoa
post Dec 28 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #92

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,189

Yes, television programs are free to put whatever names to people they so desire; real, pseudonym, or otherwise. However, if the name given to someone is incorrect, they won't generate good will this way. If the name on screen in some way belittled or defamed the individual, then I suppose a lawsuit might ensue.

FCC rules govern profanity (at least they used to enforce this--times are changing). They do not dictate names, or even anything about credits at all. BMI and ASCAP have their own rules for music rights and anything else which is copyright might need to be properly disclosed, but there is no requirement for the individuals on the program to be named, much less with their correct or real names. (This is all based on my limited knowledge of FCC rules for broadcast from some years ago, but I do not know the current rules.)

--------------------
To copyright man's creation is to plagiarize God's gifts.

"Our salvation depends on a knowledge of the truth contained in the Scriptures." (COL 111.3)

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Dec 28 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #93

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Uncle Sam @ Dec 27 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]165787[/snapback]

Two things, I found out Danny denies that he is stepping down...

This is not unexpected; anytime it has been suggested or rumored, the first visual in my mind is that of an aged and infirm Charlton Heston at an NRA podium holding a rifle and saying "you wont get [it] unless you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Ed White
post Dec 28 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #94

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group:
QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Dec 28 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]166070[/snapback]

This is not unexpected; anytime it has been suggested or rumored, the first visual in my mind is that of an aged and infirm Charlton Heston at an NRA podium holding a rifle and saying "you wont get [it] unless you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

In His service,
Mr. J

Don't you think the only ones that really truely reconize Danny as a Moses or a Ben Hur is those driving matching baby blue Cad. & their nest is not fully feather yet? But the bible says telling of the eagle mother as she stirs up her soft comfortable nest exposing sharp objects beneath to to inform her brood it's time to be moving on out, they will! As mother always gets her way, just having just a few on the 3ABN board is not enough.

+Quote Post
Daryl Fawcett
post Dec 28 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,851

Isn't this interesting!

We now have two topics about Danny stepping down. smile.gif

One wasn't enough? smile.gif

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

+Quote Post
daylily
post Dec 28 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,715

Ed, that's an interesting tidbit of history that I have never heard before. Thanks for sharing it.

So if Danny isn't stepping down, I wonder what the positive news is that Joe Smith hinted at??

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 28 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #97

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Daryl Fawcett @ Dec 28 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]166152[/snapback]

Isn't this interesting!

We now have two topics about Danny stepping down. smile.gif

One wasn't enough? smile.gif

gonna merge them.....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 30 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #98

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Observer @ Dec 28 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]166063[/snapback]

Johann, yes, in the US, it is legal. There is not need to write to 3-ABN. No crime has been committed.

The question of naming Darell Mundall's children "Firestone" by 3ABN.

I have been told that at least one Federal Court Case has ruled that it might be illegal because this is an official "forum" and done without the consent of the father -- according to the legal experts.

Johann

This post has been edited by Johann: Dec 30 2006, 05:23 PM

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
fallible humanbe...
post Dec 30 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Johann @ Dec 30 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]166536[/snapback]

The question of naming Darell Mundall's children "Firestone" by 3ABN.

I have been told that at least one Federal Court Case has ruled that it might be illegal because this is an official "forum" and done without the consent of the father -- according to the legal experts.

Johann

I would be interested in this, can you cite case law in regards to it? What level was the case tried at?

- fhb

--------------------
But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. - Yoda

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see. - Henry David Thoreau

May those who love us love us. And those who don’t love us– may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. - Keeping Faith

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 30 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #100

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.

QUOTE(fallible humanbeing @ Dec 31 2006, 02:21 AM) [snapback]166545[/snapback]

I would be interested in this, can you cite case law in regards to it? What level was the case tried at?

- fhb

I understand lawyers are investigating.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Dec 30 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #101

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Johann @ Dec 30 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]166556[/snapback]

I understand lawyers are investigating.

Johann,

A number of state courts have sited the Presson decision handed down by the Illinois Supreme Court.
----------------------------------------------

The court held that a change in a minor's surname:

"shall be allowed only when the court finds that change is in the best interest of the minor."

The Court added:

"we cannot prevent [the mother] from calling her son [by his stepfather's surname] or by any other name or nickname within her own living room, and no order should be directed towards enjoining her from referring to him by a name other than [that of the father] within the family confines.[ [Fn. 15]]

In accordance with these observations, the Illinois Supreme Court directed that the injunction be narrowed so that it merely prevented the mother from using any name other than the child's legal name "in any official records, including school, medical or hospital records or membership applications." [Fn. 16]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
fallible humanbe...
post Dec 30 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Dec 30 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]166588[/snapback]

Johann,

A number of state courts have sited the Presson decision handed down by the Illinois Supreme Court.

"shall be allowed only when the court finds that change is in the best interest of the minor."

The Court added:

"we cannot prevent [the mother] from calling her son [by his stepfather's surname] or by any other name or nickname within her own living room, and no order should be directed towards enjoining her from referring to him by a name other than [that of the father] within the family confines.[ [Fn. 15]]

In accordance with these observations, the Illinois Supreme Court directed that the injunction be narrowed so that it merely prevented the mother from using any name other than the child's legal name "in any official records, including school, medical or hospital records or membership applications." [Fn. 16]

So then the question would be, is a credit scroll on a telelvision program "official" in any sort of way? And, what if the biological father has in any way not meet his legal obligations in regards to the children? Are there any qualifiers, any additions in the case or any cases that have built on or added to this decision?

I am not sure that if I were the father that I wouldn't be a bit more than a little upset by this - but, if I hadn't met my obligations do I have the grounds to pursue any legal avenues available to me?

I am not making any claims about the children in questions father - I am very curious.

- fhb

--------------------
But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. - Yoda

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see. - Henry David Thoreau

May those who love us love us. And those who don’t love us– may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. - Keeping Faith

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 30 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #103

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Dec 31 2006, 04:23 AM) [snapback]166588[/snapback]

Johann,

The Court added:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I did not have access to this. So the question then remains if the mother - or anyone else - is permitted to use another name for the children on the 3ABN screen - if that is an official record. Or will 3ABN here claim it hs the right because it is a religious organization?

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:46 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church