Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12110&st=390 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:28:20 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Save 3abn Website, site registered to Gailon Joy
SoulEspresso
post May 5 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #391

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Observer @ May 5 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]194197[/snapback]

I tend to agree with Watchbird. I think it was written tongue-in-check in an effort to stimulate responses. The person who wrote it is probably sitting in a chair laughing while contemplating what people are thinking about it.

Me three. I hope this isn't counterproductive.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
watchbird
post May 5 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #392

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Observer @ May 5 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]194197[/snapback]

I tend to agree with Watchbird. I think it was written tongue-in-check in an effort to stimulate responses. The person who wrote it is probably sitting in a chair laughing while contemplating what people are thinking about it.

"Tongue-in-cheek" is a modern expression used in place of the more formal.... and serious..... literary term, "irony" or ironic. Unfortunately, both the terms tongue-in-cheek and ironic are commonly used in a a wide range of meanings, from coincidence to facetious, all of which are quite different from the formal and serious use of irony as a literary genre.

My intent was to use it in the "literary genre" sense, when I wrote... "It is difficult to tell whether this letter was written tongue-in-cheek or seriously". But I can see, after Observer's reaction, that this was confusing, since it seemed to indicate that I was saying "facetiously or seriously"... which I did not intend to say. What I meant to convey was the contrast between literary irony and literal prose.

For irony... in a literary use... is for very serious purposes. And even when it masquerades as comedy, the author is hiding his tears... not being merely a buffoon. That is to say, even when he attempts to incite laughter, not for the purpose of entertaining, but for the purpose of relaxing his audience enough so they will come to see the issues in a different light... and even come to share his tears. But the writer of the letter did not act as though his purpose was to incite laughter.

A primary example of this in literature.... which is, I think, appropriate to this thread in content as well as an example of literary form... is......

THE FOOL'S PRAYER

by: Edward Rowland Sill (1841-1887)

THE royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!

"No pity, Lord, could change the heart
From red with wrong to white as wool;
The rod must heal the sin: but Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!

"'T is not by guilt the onward sweep
Of truth and right, O Lord, we stay;
'T is by our follies that so long
We hold the earth from heaven away.

"These clumsy feet, still in the mire,
Go crushing blossoms without end;
These hard, well-meaning hands we thrust
Among the heart-strings of a friend.

"The ill-timed truth we might have kept--
Who knows how sharp it pierced and stung?
The word we had not sense to say--
Who knows how grandly it had rung!

"Our faults no tenderness should ask.
The chastening stripes must cleanse them all;
But for our blunders -- oh, in shame
Before the eyes of heaven we fall.

"Earth bears no balsam for mistakes;
Men crown the knave, and scourge the tool
That did his will
; but Thou, O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The room was hushed; in silence rose
The King, and sought his gardens cool,
And walked apart, and murmured low,
"Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Somehow, I sense that it is this "hush" that the writer of the letter may have been trying to evoke. And if I am correct, then he is currently NOT "laughing".... but waiting with "bated breath" "while watching and "contemplating what people are thinking about it". blink.gif

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 5 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #393

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(Observer @ May 5 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]194197[/snapback]

100% absolutely agree with this assessment of the letter. In fact, it would not surprise me to learn that one of our BSDA family has the gift to have written it. If so, thanks for the laughter. If you are merely a lurking guest, come join us. If neither, this is just another example of the potential of the internet to reach people where they are. And at very little financial cost compared to the 10 Commandments weekend it would seem. (Does anyone know how many are expected there?)

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 5 2007, 05:56 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post May 5 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #394

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

I must agree that Alfred Smith appears to have been making a thinly veiled but pertinent point by the absurdity of his letter. I would hope that some who give voice to similar opinions in their allegiance to the absurd will pause and take a reflective walk in a cool garden to seek mercy.

This post has been edited by PeacefullyBewildered: May 5 2007, 12:40 PM

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post May 5 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #395

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

I could have done without reading this literary masterpiece...maybe it served some purpose unbeknown to me... dunno.gif

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
watchbird
post May 5 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #396

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(caribbean sda @ May 5 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]194229[/snapback]

I could have done without reading this literary masterpiece...maybe it served some purpose unbeknown to me... dunno.gif

Look at it this way, CSDA.... is there anything in that letter that has not been already said before by someone defending 3abn on this forum? Yet when all of these things are pulled together in one place they hit us with a lot more weight than when said bit by bit on one subject at a time and held behind the shield of attacking those of us who want to "call sin by its right name".

So maybe the purpose was to let people take a look at it all gathered together in one place. It is very easy to avert our eyes from the unpleasantness of sin. Sometimes it takes being forced to confront it directly in such a way that we have to recognize it for the wrong that it is.

I think Peacefully said it well when she said:

"I must agree that Alfred Smith appears to have been making a thinly veiled but pertinent point by the absurdity of his letter. I would hope that some who give voice to similar opinions in their allegiance to the absurd will pause and take a reflective walk in a cool garden to seek mercy."

And I think that if anyone is laughing, it must be one of those times, when "we laugh so they won't see us cry."

+Quote Post
howdy
post May 5 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #397

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,932

When Smith's letter is so obviously ironic Mr Joy's response does nothing to enhance Joy's status in my books. It appears that Joy took Smith seriously which is soooo funny!! roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
mozart
post May 5 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #398

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,207

was Alfred Smith the guy on the cover of MAD Magazine?
QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ May 5 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]194228[/snapback]

I must agree that Alfred Smith appears to have been making a thinly veiled but pertinent point by the absurdity of his letter. I would hope that some who give voice to similar opinions in their allegiance to the absurd will pause and take a reflective walk in a cool garden to seek mercy.

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 5 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #399

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(mozart @ May 5 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]194257[/snapback]

no, that was Alfred E. Newman......

IPB Image

and I am not suggesting anything... but.... the similarity is striking...

IPB Image

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post May 5 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #400

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(mozart @ May 5 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]194257[/snapback]

There was an Alfred Emmanuel Smith who was the Democratic Presidential candidate in the election of 1928. He was, if I'm not mistaken, the first and only Roman Catholic to run for US President before JFK. He lost to Herbert Hoover.

+Quote Post
mozart
post May 5 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #401

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,207

roflmao.gif awwwww you shaddup now. roflmao.gif
QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]194258[/snapback]

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 6 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #402

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]194258[/snapback]

IPB Image

IPB Image

funny you would see george w.
my whole life i have always seen ted copel in the mad guy. can't shake it, still see that!

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Johann
post May 7 2007, 03:32 AM
Post #403

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Clay @ May 6 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]194258[/snapback]

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks Clay. This gave a great laugh I needed for the day.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Eirene
post May 7 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #404

Advanced Member

Group:
QUOTE(watchbird @ May 5 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]194247[/snapback]

Look at it this way, CSDA.... is there anything in that letter that has not been already said before by someone defending 3abn on this forum? Yet when all of these things are pulled together in one place they hit us with a lot more weight than when said bit by bit on one subject at a time and held behind the shield of attacking those of us who want to "call sin by its right name".

So maybe the purpose was to let people take a look at it all gathered together in one place. It is very easy to avert our eyes from the unpleasantness of sin. Sometimes it takes being forced to confront it directly in such a way that we have to recognize it for the wrong that it is.

You bring up a very good point WB. That is exactly why I have the opinion that Joy or Pickle or one of their "helpers" wrote that ridiculous letter. Someone wanted to put all of their false accusations in a dirty little bundle and make it look the way it looked. The fact that you would lend some credibility to it in your statements doesn't say much for your judgement or discernment. It only shows that you are so biased against 3abn and DS that you can no longer make any sound judgements or have any objective views on the 3abn topic.

This post has been edited by Eirene: May 7 2007, 01:08 PM

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post May 7 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #405

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(Eirene)

You bring up a very good point WB. That is exactly why I have the opinion that Joy or Pickle or one of their "helpers" wrote that ridiculous letter.

Opinion? Am I hearing an echo? I keep hearing that buzz word from you folks.

Someone wanted to put all of their false accusations in a dirty little bundle and make it look the way it looked.

Isn't there a better way to get exercise than jumping to conclusions?

The fact that you would lend some credibility to it in your statements doesn't say much for your judgement or discernment. It only shows that you are so biased against 3abn and DS that you can no longer make any sound judgements or have any objective views on the 3abn topic.

Or, just the opposite may be true...it may show how sharp her discernment really is.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:28 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church