Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12505&st=135 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:33:16 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AToday NewBreak Article on 3ABN
sonshineonme
post May 22 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #136

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ May 22 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]196501[/snapback]

It i$ alway$ the $$$$$.

I $hould $tart counting the time$ Danny or other$ talk about a$king for donor monie$ at each program. They think we are all $ucker$.

Ro$yRoi

rofl1.gif rofl1.gif rofl1.gif

what a spot on post!!! love it!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 23 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #137

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

There have been many questions regarding 501( c )(3) organizations. I thought I would share the following if anyone is interested......

Q: What is the difference between a public charity and private foundation?

A: All organizations which apply for tax exemption under 501( c )(3) are either classified as "public charities" or "private foundations." A 501( c )(3) tax-exempt organization is classified as a "private foundation" unless it falls under one of three exceptions, in which case it is classified as a public charity: (1) by virtue of its activities (churches, schools, hospitals, and a few others); (2) it is organized and operated exclusively for the benefit of, to perform the functions of, or to carry out the purposes of, a public charity; or (3) it can show that it is "publicly supported" (which generally means receiving financial support from a broad group of funding sources).

With regard to "publicly supported" public charities, the determination of whether an organization is publicly supported is based initially on the information provided by the Organization on its Application for Tax Exemption (IRS Form 1023) and then on the informational tax returns filed annually with the IRS (IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ). Additionally, at the end of its "Advance Ruling Period" the Organization should file IRS Form 8734 to prove that its sources of revenue meet the "public support test" or otherwise meets the operating tests for remaining a public charity.

Why does this classification make a difference? Determination as a public charity, rather than as a private foundation, is generally more desirable for most nonprofit organizations, for several reasons: private foundations are subject to a 2% tax on net investment income; private foundations are generally prohibited from engaging in a number of activities that public charities may undertake, including an absolute prohibition on lobbying activities; contributions to private foundations are not deductible to the donor to the same extent as contributions to public charities; and reporting and disclosure requirements for private foundations are more strict than for public charities.

For those interested here is a bit more regarding these organizations:

http://www.probonopartner.org/publications/pbpfaq.htm

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 23 2007, 12:38 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jun 5 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Much has been made of the influence of a few wealthy donors. I looked at the Garmar 990's and then at this website. http://tinyurl.com/37a2za

And it seems to me that the bulk of the money comes instead from the stockholders in the pews. This site refers to charitable gift annuities from donors in one state only and for a limited period of time.

This post has been edited by lurker: Jun 5 2007, 07:08 AM

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jun 5 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(lurker @ Jun 5 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]198393[/snapback]

Much has been made of the influence of a few wealthy donors. I looked at the Garmar 990's and then at this website. http://tinyurl.com/37a2za

And it seems to me that the bulk of the money comes instead from the stockholders in the pews. This site refers to charitable gift annuities from donors in one state only and for a limited period of time.

Thank you lurker. happydance.gif

This information you have provided has helped me feel less fearful about the presumed power these big money doners seem to have in control over the situation at 3ABN.

There are so many powerful people in our church who apparently effertlessly control quite a bit of our church activities. This is present from the local level all the way up the GC.

I need to remind myself God is in control. He just lets the pharasees get away with things just so long before truth comes out. Today with www truth is comming out years faster than it used to. Of course gossip also travels at least as fast or faster.

JMO

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jun 8 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

As we have been reminded, just becase the GC has made a statement doesn't mean that it is all over. And as I digest some of the information I am still finding, I would like to point out that in this particular document, it was noted that 3ABN issued 18 charitable gift annuities in Washington state after having knowledge that it was required to obtain a certificate of exemption. http://tinyurl.com/37a2za

What is the consensus here? In your opinions did they, in their hunger for money, deliberately break the law? Would the fine have been less if they had waited to issue them until it was legal after they found out they needed a certificate? Were they afraid that the donors would tire of waiting and go with another ministry or to the church with their money?

This post has been edited by lurker: Jun 8 2007, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:33 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church