Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14131&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:29:03 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> God Is Blessing Danny Shelton Abroad..., blessing him to "received a celebrity welcome!"
Denny
post Jul 12 2007, 06:25 AM
Post #16

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

I don't often comment on this thread (my interest ran out a long time ago) however I've worked in the media for almost 20 years don't believe everything you read. If you have a St Lucia contact check out the story first newspapers are good at exaggerating things.

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Jul 12 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #17

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,678

I've said before that Caribbean people view 3ABN as an avenue by which the Advent Message is being proclaimed. St. Lucia is no different, and I'm truly not surprised of the reception of Danny Shelton and the 3ABN rally on that island. Actually, I would have been surprised had it been anything different. Caribbean people are very ardent, earnest Seventh-day Adventists, notwithstanding the fact that 3ABN claims to be a nondenominational entity. They sincerely believe that Danny Shelton and 3ABN are doing a good work and they will support their efforts as best they can. A $7,000 donation coming from the believers in St. Lucia is quite a bit of money. Trust me, it is. Most of the Adventists there are of modest means, but they give generously to support the furtherance of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It was no different when Danny and Linda came to St. Thomas. All the churches met together on that Sabbath and the offering buckets were overflowing. I don't think he signed any Bibles here though. Of course he preached the same rambling message... huh.gif A banquet was also held on the Saturday night of their visit. There was no great media coverage of the visit. In the summer of the same year of his visit to St. Thomas, Linda was put on administrative leave and subsequently fired from her position at 3ABN. I would have to say that 3ABN is still held in high esteem here. The church folk consider me a radical because I don't speak in glowing terms about 3ABN. Of course many of us know members of the family of John Lomacang as his mother was a native of St. Thomas. I know his brother who is a prominent seaman here on the island.

This post has been edited by caribbean sda: Jul 12 2007, 06:51 AM

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 12 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #18

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(lurker)
The problem is that D would accept such adulation and not redirect the glory to God.

He may have had no choice.

It could have been even scarier if he'd redirected the glory to God...all dressed up in the longhorn blazer, with bodyguards, a jet plane, the moneybags of Carnegie, his personal TV and makeup crew, and new wifey by his side.

If 3abn is really responsible for the rapid increase of church membership, what's this really say about us?

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
roxe
post Jul 12 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Jul 11 2007, 11:23 PM) *
I read it also. And OH MY scared.gif - it is just me, or does this take the cake? Yes, I can see Danny, it's all about Jesus.
Is he to the point where he will take all he can, anyway he can, and...hmm, what's next? I am disgusted, and maybe even a little surprised. This troubles me.

come on now, is anyone here REALLY surprised by this??

i'm saddened, but not surprised...

"Lord, spare Thy people..."

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 13 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

[quote name='LaurenceD' post='204049' date='Jul 12 2007, 08:38 AM']He may have had no choice.

It could have been even scarier if he'd redirected the glory to God...all dressed up in the longhorn blazer, with bodyguards, a jet plane, the moneybags of Carnegie, his personal TV and makeup crew, and new wifey by his side.

If 3abn is really responsible for the rapid increase of church membership, what's this really say about us? [quote]

Can't help but comment on the visual picture of the blazer and all....maybe not nice to chuckle but it just rings too true.

This post has been edited by runner4him: Jul 13 2007, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jul 13 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(roxe @ Jul 12 2007, 11:10 PM) *
come on now, is anyone here REALLY surprised by this??

i'm saddened, but not surprised...

"Lord, spare Thy people..."

It should be obious by now that the Lord is not going to force his people to stop following after a ______.

+Quote Post
steffan
post Jul 13 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jul 12 2007, 01:23 AM) *
Hmmm... I wonder how many Holy Bibles Jesus signed. Does the Holy Bible give us that bit of info? What about the apostles? Did they get celebrity welcomes and sign copies of the Holy Bible?

First of all, this whole thread blames Danny for something someone wrote in a paper at St. Lucia. They used their own words, descriptions, etc. He had nothing to do with how they wrote the article. Of course he shook hands with "people" there. The Star can refer to it as "fans" but the 3abn people shake hands with everyone everywhere they go. No different than AF or any other ministry that travels a lot.
Of course Laurence D adds his lies of bodyguards, tv & make up crew and the like. There are and never have been bodyguards. The Truck 'Live" crew will be at a location, obviously, if the event is going to be broadcast and will get there well in advance to prepare. They were not present at St. Lucia. Of course I shouldnt even address that a makeup person travels with him. That is ignorance at it's best.
There has been much to do about the "celebrity" welcome. Once again the words of a reporter, not Danny.

****This post has been edtied for content. Steffan, you have gone too far!!!! You will not spread your venom here!

Runner4Him, I have deleted your post as it directly addressed the offending portions Steffans post. PB, I have edited your post and left the portion that addresses the reamining portions of Steffan's post****

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jul 13 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #23

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

I see you've gotten your courage up to come back and post. Good for you, steffan. Now....

QUOTE(steffan @ Jul 13 2007, 11:04 AM) *
First of all, this whole thread blames Danny for something someone wrote in a paper at St. Lucia. They used their own words, descriptions, etc. He had nothing to do with how they wrote the article. Of course he shook hands with "people" there. The Star can refer to it as "fans" but the 3abn people shake hands with everyone everywhere they go. No different than AF or any other ministry that travels a lot.
Of course Laurence D adds his lies of bodyguards, tv & make up crew and the like. There are and never have been bodyguards. The Truck 'Live" crew will be at a location, obviously, if the event is going to be broadcast and will get there well in advance to prepare. They were not present at St. Lucia. Of course I shouldnt even address that a makeup person travels with him. That is ignorance at it's best.
There has been much to do about the "celebrity" welcome. Once again the words of a reporter, not Danny.

It may have been the reporter's words that described Danny signing his "fans" Holy Bibles. If that was a fabrication, I can't tell you how relieved that would make me! To think that a personality would even think of putting his autograph on God's word in such a manner is, well, blasphemous, IMO.

This post has been edited by princessdi: Jul 13 2007, 01:03 PM

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Jul 13 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(steffan @ Jul 13 2007, 11:04 AM) *

****This post has been edtied for content. Steffan, you have gone too far!!!! You will not spread your venom here!

Runner4Him, I have deleted your post as it directly addressed the offending portions Steffans post. PB, I have edited your post and left the portion that addresses the reamining portions of Steffan's post****

Steffan...not one word about the signing of bibles??? what's with that "oversight"?

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
mikell
post Jul 13 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Jul 13 2007, 03:13 PM) *
Steffan...not one word about the signing of bibles??? what's with that "oversight"?

what a GREAT question. smile.gif
I have never ever heard of any priest preacher not even of a Jim Jones ever signing a Bible! Has any one ever heard of anyone ever signing a Bible, have you Steffan? I believe what ds did is very serious, -- can this be parr to the level of blasphemies of popes since their existence? IMO
I just don't think that signing Bibles is not what a true SDA would do? Even to defend ds signing a Bible. True, you Steffan so far have not done that.
Steffan, honestly; would you sign a Bible if someone asks you to?

This post has been edited by mikell: Jul 13 2007, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 13 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #26

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Steffan,

I suspected you'd be banned, and you have been. Too bad, but you did deserve it. Since you can't respond, I hope you'll consider this post. I do mean it in the best possible spirit.

QUOTE(steffan @ Jul 13 2007, 12:04 PM) *
First of all, this whole thread blames Danny for something someone wrote in a paper at St. Lucia.

Well, it didn't sound like reporting to me. It sounded like a cross between a 3ABN press release and fan mail. But I could be wrong, have been so once or twice before. doh.gif Perhaps it wasn't Danny's fault.

They used their own words, descriptions, etc. He had nothing to do with how they wrote the article. Of course he shook hands with "people" there. The Star can refer to it as "fans" but the 3abn people shake hands with everyone everywhere they go.

That's certainly fair. But you didn't address whether Danny signed any Bibles. I mean, he didn't write the Book ...

Of course I shouldn't even address that a makeup person travels with him. That is ignorance at it's best.

But this doesn't tell us whether he does or does not have a makeup person with him when he travels. Would traveling without one reduce the opportunity for celebrity worship? Shouldn't we see our leaders "warts and all"? Doug Batchelor is as bald as a friggerzoid, and he has no problem with it.

After all, the tone of the article could best be described as fawning, wouldn't you agree? Should you have contact with Danny, would you mind recommending that he start limiting his appearances to keep God's people from falling into "celebrity worship"? He may not have intended such, but when it happens, it's idolatry, don't you think? If it isn't idolatry, what is it?

Of course, the best thing for 3ABN at every level (and our church) would be for Danny to resign, along with his board, and take a sabbatical. The lawsuit alone has done such horrible things to their reputation, considering 3ABN's track record of high regard for Scripture and the counsel of EGW.
  • 3ABN is bleeding money, is it not?
  • If they are to be an effective transmitter of the gospel, shouldn't they cast aside everything that hinders?
  • Isn't the message of Jesus more important than careers or leadership positions?
  • If there has been wrongdoing, wouldn't it be best to come clean?
  • Even if some or most of the allegations are based on misunderstandings, wouldn't it be better to step down rather than risk the continuing damage to the cause of Jesus?
Please take this in the tone it's offered--we want to see everybody connected with these problems in the kingdom, and we want to see as many people in the kingdom as possible no matter how the gospel is transmitted to them. If you see anyone in authority at 3ABN, I hope you'll share these concerns. We want the ministry to succeed, but we don't know how that can happen without a new leader, new board, and many new hosts. dunno.gif

Soul

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Jul 13 2007, 07:52 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jul 13 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jul 13 2007, 08:37 PM) *
  • Even if some or most of the allegations are based on misunderstandings, wouldn't it be better to step down rather than risk the continuing damage to the cause of Jesus?

Actually, I think giving explanations for the misunderstandings would be very helpful, rather than keeping so mum about it.

And Walt sending out his emails full of alleged answers while begging folks to keep them confidential, that really is counter-productive in the long run. Especially now.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 13 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #28

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(steffan)
Of course Laurence D adds his lies of bodyguards, tv & make up crew and the like.

A month or two ago steffan demonstrated his comprehension level when he got a couple double negatives backwards. I see he's intent on carrying on the tradition...

Now he appears unable to separate the edu-brain term "if" ("if he'd redirected the glory to God...all dressed up in the longhorn blazer, with bodyguards, a jet plane, the moneybags of Carnegie, his personal TV and makeup crew, and new wifey by his side") from stating something as a fact. Maybe someone that knows him personally can relate this message to him: when the term "if" is used, it doesn't mean something is being stated as a fact. Therefore the statement is unable to contain a lie.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 13 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #29

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jul 13 2007, 08:51 PM) *
Actually, I think giving explanations for the misunderstandings would be very helpful, rather than keeping so mum about it.

And Walt sending out his emails full of alleged answers while begging folks to keep them confidential, that really is counter-productive in the long run. Especially now.

I do think that because Danny, Walt & Co insist on staying at the helm, we'll have our answers, whether they want us to or not. "Be sure your sin will find you out," "He that covereth his sin shall not prosper," etc.

But the status quo is not good for either the church. I'd much prefer full disclosure, but given the choice between a Danny-less 3ABN and what we've currently got, I'd take a Danny-less 3ABN. (When I say "Danny-less" I would expect him to take his minions too ... they've been damaged beyond repair, too.)

Memo to 3ABN: the good old days are gone. Time to move on. Tell the truth and have done with it.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Delford
post Jul 14 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #30

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,165

Well, about 40 years ago I attended evangelistic meetings by Elder Delafield, a SDA evangelist, and he signed my Bible that I earned from going to the meetings. He signed lots of Bibles.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:29 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church