Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14315&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:11:43 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hope Channel's New Newsletter Snippets
PeacefulBe
post Jul 21 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 20 2007, 02:22 PM) *
I don't think any channel can be all things to all people, they have to try and hit the happy medeim for the majority of their viewers. That said, have you written them asking them about their programs? If they are not meeting the needs of their watchers maybe they will change, but only if they get input.

I watch neither 3abn or Hope. I just watch BSDA, but not for the rest of the weekend. Off to a hammered dulcimer festival.
Richard

And you and the Mrs. didn't invite PB?! Inconceivable!

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jul 21 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jul 21 2007, 05:12 AM) *
I agree with you 100%, SimplySaved. It can happen if Hope channel is succeeding financially.

The roadblock is that these channels are funded by donations, and people who are able to donate the most substantially tend to be older conservative folks.

Ideally there'd be several channels based on demographics and target audience. I'd love to see some top-notch, edgy, postmodern Adventist programming. But it'll take some mission-minded folks who are willing to pay for it. And the talent to produce it.

You have put your finger on the spot. The younger Adventists often yearn for programs that fit their taste, but we must admit the majority of the donations still come from conservative senior members who demand programs to fit their taste, or they will not give any more.

Danny Shelton has made it clear that he feels HOPE is way too liberal for his taste. . .

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jul 21 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

I found it ironic that Danny thought that the Hope Channel would be too liberal for Garwin because as he says they promoted the Lutheran Church when it looks to me like Garmar (Garwin's foundation) donated to a Catholic Church in 2003 as shown on the 990 page 21. I am not saying there is anything wrong with doing this if that is what he wanted to do. I don't think Danny was aware of this when he made the statement that he did though.

http://tinyurl.com/2mowmk

http://tinyurl.com/23pzse

This post has been edited by lurker: Jul 21 2007, 09:26 PM

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 21 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #19

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jul 20 2007, 03:31 PM) *
Why, LaurenceD, you cheeky, clever little monkey you!

Well, I really had no intentions...it just happened, and I didn't realize what I'd done till it was almost too late. The folks suddenly noted the quality of programming had improved, but I had to inform them they were now watching Hope. Hope is very educational. Going back to the other channel felt like a move into the distant past, an area of darkness where new light is unwelcome.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 21 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #20

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Snoopy @ Jul 20 2007, 04:00 PM) *
You crack me UP!! That is TOO funny!!

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Good to see you back...

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jul 21 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(lurker @ Jul 21 2007, 06:46 PM) *
I found it ironic that Danny thought that the Hope Channel would be too liberal for Garwin because as he says they promoted the Lutheran Church when it looks to me like Garmar (Garwin's foundation) donated to a Catholic Church in 2003 as shown on the 990 page 21. I am not saying there is anything wrong with doing this if that is what he wanted to do. I don't think Danny was aware of this when he made the statement that he did though.

http://tinyurl.com/2mowmk

http://tinyurl.com/23pzse

Lurker,

That is quite a pairing of information! Wonder if Danny is aware of it now?

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 22 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #22

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

Johann:

The thing is this: There are many Christians that fit into my asge group in Adventism who will gladly support ministries that are already ministering to the needs of 21st century. when someone presents a plan for ministry that is relevalent to either the non-Christian but seeking base or a "diversity" of approach to Generation X and Y in adventism (or Christian ministry period) WE DO SUPPORT.

GC had it's roundtable with college students and young adults in Adventism. They are completely aware of what many of the spiritual needs are and have a good idea of the mindset. Remember, it is this same age group that "sows a seed" fianancially into Paula White Ministries and Joel Osteen....even Bishop Eddie Long, Juanita Bynum, Joyce Meyers, and T.D. Jakes because they are being ministered to and finding messages that are not just about prosperity (as some may think) but speak to living as a Christian now. In other words, Hope Channel will have to put the suggestions already given into place FIRST, and then expect more financial support from the 20-40 age demographics.

It would be also helpful if Hope T.V. received feedback from the local churches in differing cultural demographics via survey. With Hope TV being from GC, they should not have a problem getting the Conference presidents and unions on board.

QUOTE(Johann @ Jul 21 2007, 02:21 PM) *
You have put your finger on the spot. The younger Adventists often yearn for programs that fit their taste, but we must admit the majority of the donations still come from conservative senior members who demand programs to fit their taste, or they will not give any more.

Danny Shelton has made it clear that he feels HOPE is way too liberal for his taste. . .

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 22 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 22 2007, 12:12 AM) *
Johann:

The thing is this: There are many Christians that fit into my asge group in Adventism who will gladly support ministries that are already ministering to the needs of 21st century. when someone presents a plan for ministry that is relevalent to either the non-Christian but seeking base or a "diversity" of approach to Generation X and Y in adventism (or Christian ministry period) WE DO SUPPORT.

GC had it's roundtable with college students and young adults in Adventism. They are completely aware of what many of the spiritual needs are and have a good idea of the mindset. Remember, it is this same age group that "sows a seed" fianancially into Paula White Ministries and Joel Osteen....even Bishop Eddie Long, Juanita Bynum, Joyce Meyers, and T.D. Jakes because they are being ministered to and finding messages that are not just about prosperity (as some may think) but speak to living as a Christian now. In other words, Hope Channel will have to put the suggestions already given into place FIRST, and then expect more financial support from the 20-40 age demographics.

It would be also helpful if Hope T.V. received feedback from the local churches in differing cultural demographics via survey. With Hope TV being from GC, they should not have a problem getting the Conference presidents and unions on board.

I agree! Many of all ages will give to that which is feeding the soul. I will give...our family's younger generation will give.

I am reminded of a story about a dynamic evangelist who came to the city of New Orleans and had a huge tent meeting with so many baptised that a new church had to be started just to be able to accomodate the hundreds of new members. One church member who traveled a distance to attend some of the meetings with her children could tell you her children emptied their bank accounts and gave to his ministry because it was such an experience to hear that preacher.

It will happen.....let us not be afraid of meeting the needs of the up and coming generation. Jesus taught us the young will come...the old will come....the ones who listen not to His Spirit will not.

I have abandoned liberal and conservative labels for labels that tell me more like surrendered, dedicated, convicted, spirit-filled, converted, having a teachable spirt, loving, open, accepting, following the Master in all things, Bible believer, and on and on.

This post has been edited by runner4him: Jul 22 2007, 04:25 AM

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 22 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #24

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jul 22 2007, 04:19 AM) *
I have abandoned liberal and conservative labels for labels that tell me more like surrendered, dedicated, convicted, spirit-filled, converted, having a teachable spirt, loving, open, accepting, following the Master in all things, Bible believer, and on and on.

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jul 22 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 22 2007, 08:12 AM) *
Johann:

GC had it's roundtable with college students and young adults in Adventism. They are completely aware of what many of the spiritual needs are and have a good idea of the mindset. Remember, it is this same age group that "sows a seed" fianancially into Paula White Miniedstries and Joel Osteen....even Bishop Eddie Long, Juanita Bynum, Joyce Meyers, and T.D. Jakes because they are being ministered to and finding messages that are not just about prosperity (as some may think) but speak to living as a Christian now. In other words, Hope Channel will have to put the suggestions already given into place FIRST, and then expect more financial support from the 20-40 age demographics.

Yes, you may be right, simply saved. You might be one of the greatest number of donors among college students and the 20-40 age demographics. But in oarder to get things done, either for HOPE or 3ABN, it is the total amount in dollars and cents that counts. Therefore we are up against such heavy contributors as perhaps the fewer but wealthier conservative contributors. They are still the ones who pay, even if they do not carry as many votes.

We have seen how these people rule the church by threatening to withdraw their contributions to projects which seem essential for the Church to function, unless the Church does what they request.

What will you do in case your electric supply, telephone, and Internet get cut off? You may have the integrity not to be swayed by such threats, but do you know of some who might bend their principles to get what they feel they need?

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Jul 22 2007, 07:56 AM
Post #26

500 + posts
Group Icon

The Hope Channel already airs programs of interest to teens and young adults. Just saw another one the other day. A live audience of hundreds of teens participating in an interview with an expert on a certain questionable issue in todays world. Also, I saw a program of college students hosting the GC prez...asking these same questions you here are asking about yong people's involvement in the organization.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jul 22 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(lurker @ Jul 21 2007, 08:46 PM) *

Lurker,

If Danny leads us to believe that Garwin is paying for the lawsuit, does that make it true? Is Danny's word dependable?

If so, how come a 3ABN insider is suggesting that it isn't true? That Garwin is not paying for the lawsuit?

But then again, how do we know that the word of the 3ABN insider is dependable?

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jul 22 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Exactly, but he must appear to have Garwin that commited to him so others who want to be on what they think will be the winning side will follow. afro.gif

This post has been edited by lurker: Jul 22 2007, 08:09 AM

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jul 22 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #29

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jul 22 2007, 03:19 AM) *

r4h,

Excellent! When we don't strive to narrowly catagorize people and messages, we are far more likely to have minds open to truth, wherever it may be found!

--------------------
Got Peace?

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jul 22 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #30

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(lurker @ Jul 22 2007, 09:06 AM) *
Exactly, but he must appear to have Garwin that committed to him so others who want to be on what they think will be the winning side will follow. afro.gif

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0111500/proptech.htm

That's called the Bandwagon Effect. See the link posted above.

Bandwagon is one of the most common techniques in both wartime and peacetime and plays an important part in modern advertising. Bandwagon is also one of the seven main propaganda techniques identified by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis in 1938. Bandwagon is an appeal to the subject to follow the crowd, to join in because others are doing so as well. Bandwagon propaganda is, essentially, trying to convince the subject that one side is the winning side, because more people have joined it. The subject is meant to believe that since so many people have joined, that victory is inevitable and defeat impossible. Since the average person always wants to be on the winning side, he or she is compelled to join in. However, in modern propaganda, bandwagon has taken a new twist. The subject is to be convinced by the propaganda that since everyone else is doing it, they will be left out if they do not. This is, effectively, the opposite of the other type of bandwagon, but usually provokes the same results. Subjects of bandwagon are compelled to join in because everyone else is doing so as well. When confronted with bandwagon propaganda, we should weigh the pros and cons of joining in independently from the amount of people who have already joined, and, as with most types of propaganda, we should seek more information.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:11 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church