Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14315&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:11:45 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hope Channel's New Newsletter Snippets
PeacefulBe
post Jul 22 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #31

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

Pete,

Thought provoking... Weigh the pros and cons or be so enamored by the creamy frosting and pretty sprinkles that you go all Homer Simpson and take that bite. (Ummmm, donors, I mean donuts.)

This post has been edited by PeacefullyBewildered: Jul 22 2007, 08:41 AM

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 22 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #32

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

I know that you are saying that is what the senior members have been doing all along. My question is when do we get to the point that we actually believe that God will finance a vision that is clearly from Him? Does not both the Bible (through examples) and EGW in her writings that the money we need for ministry is in the churchbody and that God will have people to send finances to carry out his work? I can testify as a former Youth Leader that my budget for the youth not only doubled because people saw the vision and that it was more than your average AYS to more than double in the 11 months I served---in addition to combined budget. God has the money and will tell a person to give WHEN and only when His complete will is being done in ministry.

It seems like we lack the faith to believe that God will and wait for the money to come first. I support visions and don't give money to organizations (including my church via offering--unless God says other wise) if I don't see a vision or at least hear a vision from God. That is crazy. Which is probably why most Adventist choose not give as much offering on the local level. I give where I see that it will benefit for the kingdom of God, as I am able. And again at 38, my age group does give--we believe in the Biblical principal of sowing a seed. We just try not to sow that seed on stony ground (Mark 4)....

As the old lady in the Wendy's commercial used to say, Where's the Beef?"

QUOTE(Johann @ Jul 22 2007, 08:26 AM) *
Yes, you may be right, simply saved. You might be one of the greatest number of donors among college students and the 20-40 age demographics. But in oarder to get things done, either for HOPE or 3ABN, it is the total amount in dollars and cents that counts. Therefore we are up against such heavy contributors as perhaps the fewer but wealthier conservative contributors. They are still the ones who pay, even if they do not carry as many votes.

We have seen how these people rule the church by threatening to withdraw their contributions to projects which seem essential for the Church to function, unless the Church does what they request.

What will you do in case your electric supply, telephone, and Internet get cut off? You may have the integrity not to be swayed by such threats, but do you know of some who might bend their principles to get what they feel they need?

This post has been edited by simplysaved: Jul 22 2007, 11:53 PM

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 22 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Now, you are cooking with gas!!!! These channels, in an effort to "conform not to the world" have taken any life out of any porgramming. There is a happy medium. We really do need to be relevant.
QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 20 2007, 12:30 PM) *
....and one more thing, is it possible for me to see some balanced diverse, cultural examples from the pulpit (in both temperments of the preachers/speakers and worship experience) --or even ONE CHURCH SERVICE that I can honestly say is reflective of my own Seventh-day Adventist Church? Is that to much for a lady to ask?

Can somebody preach/teach about how to live TODAY while waiting for the Second Coming of Christ in addition to the Health Message??? Can it be done? dunno.gif

Does it make a difference if the overall programming is not relevant or meeting the needs of the majority Adventist constituency? In other words, can we kindly update the program list? Can it please be reflective of more than just the conservative Adventist body (since it represents the Adventist church and "Hope Channel strives to reach the highest standards of Christian ministry and professional integrity. As the official television network of the Adventist Church, we operate according to church policy and are accountable to the church constituency."

That's all I prayerfully ask.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 22 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #34

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Cooking with Gas.... giggle.gif rofl1.gif I prefer electric... roflmao.gif

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 22 2007, 12:13 PM) *
Now, you are cooking with gas!!!! These channels, in an effort to "conform not to the world" have taken any life out of any porgramming. There is a happy medium. We really do need to be relevant.

My thought is this: If you don't want me to buy Joel Osteen's new book, then give me a viable alternative.....or God, give me the words to write.... yes.gif

Don't get me wrong, we don't talk much about the Second Coming of Jesus much anymore and have become country club evangelism--but I have to live today TOO. As long as the messages come accurately from the word of God, I don't care who gives it. Scripture is plain "To the law and to the testimony....." Salvation does not end with the Sabbath. It begins and ends with Jesus.

And to be honest, it might not be a bad idea to have Joel Osteen on Hope TV....am I asking too much? dunno.gif

This post has been edited by simplysaved: Jul 22 2007, 11:36 AM

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 22 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #35

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

See now, some of you young folk may not know about that one! LOL!!

Well, you know my anthem. I have been asking this in ALL media areas. You have to buy Psalty and VeggieTales for our children. I would be glad to buy something from one of our own media centers. There is a group from oneof the church's in this area who have a dvd. They did the children's story at our church yesterday and they are good. Ia m goin to buy their DVD for my great nephew. We complaineda bout Let Behind book series....how many publishing houses do we have.....talented writers? We really do need to get it together.

Oh and I forgot something in the last post. Why are politics involved in the giving to ministries? Why are folks just giving, if they play the music they like, hte preachers they like, the programming they will like? This always means to the exclusion of those they themselves deem "inaapropriate". I think what you and I are both saying it that here are enough hours in the day for HOPE and 3ABN to acknowledge that we do have differing spiritual "need" withint he Adventist church. Different cultures that should be included and acknowledged. We call ourselves a world church, we need to reflect that.

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 22 2007, 10:28 AM) *
Cooking with Gas.... giggle.gif rofl1.gif I prefer electric... roflmao.gif
My thought is this: If you don't want me to buy Joel Osteen's new book, then give me a viable alternative.....or God, give me the words to write.... yes.gif

Don't get me wrong, we don't talk much about the Second Coming of Jesus much anymore and have become country club evangelism--but I have to live today TOO. As long as the messages come accurately from the word of God, I don't care who gives it. Scripture is plain "To the law and to the testimony....." Salvation does not end with the Sabbath. It begins and ends with Jesus.

And to be honest, it might not be a bad idea to have Joel Osteen on Hope TV....am I asking too much? dunno.gif

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 22 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

For me I contribute to combined budget as a Child of God, but do not "just give money" to support a thrown together program at the last minute. I am not at all about politics in church...and believe that more people will go to hell because of it (IMHO). But if you are asking me to give additional funds for a department that has done NOTHING or NOTHING but service it's self, it won't happen. I'll give it to World Vision for to help someone, or give it to a ministry that has been making a difference Adventist or not.

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 22 2007, 12:52 PM) *

Well, you know my anthem. I have been asking this in ALL media areas. You have to buy Psalty and VeggieTales for our children. I would be glad to buy something from one of our own media centers. There is a group from oneof the church's in this area who have a dvd. They did the children's story at our church yesterday and they are good. Ia m goin to buy their DVD for my great nephew. We complaineda bout Let Behind book series....how many publishing houses do we have.....talented writers? We really do need to get it together.

Oh and I forgot something in the last post. Why are politics involved in the giving to ministries? Why are folks just giving, if they play the music they like, hte preachers they like, the programming they will like? This always means to the exclusion of those they themselves deem "inaapropriate". I think what you and I are both saying it that here are enough hours in the day for HOPE and 3ABN to acknowledge that we do have differing spiritual "need" withint he Adventist church. Different cultures that should be included and acknowledged. We call ourselves a world church, we need to reflect that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 22 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #37

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

My humble apology smile.gif

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jul 21 2007, 04:13 PM) *
And you and the Mrs. didn't invite PB?! Inconceivable!

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jul 22 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #38

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jul 22 2007, 10:52 AM) *

Preach on, Sis! Maybe some folk will hear.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jul 23 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #39

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

You know Sarah, many people thinkas you do, and they should.

I just have to take this opportunity to tell about the women at my church. I asked them at the beginning of the year, after outlining what I had in mind and had been planning since November for our Women's Day program, to each give just $10 per month up until that time. It would have come to roughly $40 per member. You know those women gave over and above that. We had a great day with no expense spared( for starters we had not one but two recording artist plus our own Missthg to supply the music for the weekend), and Praise God, we will have money in our dept. with yet and still half the year to go! We have two other major project for the rest of the year. One a women's Health weekend in Oct. and our outreach program at Christmas. We also can sponsor at least two women to the annual retreat coming up in November. So< I praise God for their support! People will give if you plan and make them feel a part of the event.

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 22 2007, 11:01 AM) *
For me I contribute to combined budget as a Child of God, but do not "just give money" to support a thrown together program at the last minute. I am not at all about politics in church...and believe that more people will go to hell because of it (IMHO). But if you are asking me to give additional funds for a department that has done NOTHING or NOTHING but service it's self, it won't happen. I'll give it to World Vision for to help someone, or give it to a ministry that has been making a difference Adventist or not.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jul 23 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

$lightly offtopic.gif but I had to find $omeplace to furious.gif

... la$t thur$day evening, during the clo$ing prayer Danny $helton reque$ted donation$ no le$$ than 2 time$ from the viewer$. We hear the $ame thing during the programming but during prayer while talking to God? sad.gif

Thank you and now back to our regular programming....

Ro$yroi

This post has been edited by Rosyroi: Jul 23 2007, 01:40 PM

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jul 23 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #41

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Jul 23 2007, 02:34 PM) *

... la$t thur$day evening, during the clo$ing prayer Danny $helton reque$ted donation$ no le$$ than 2 time$ from the viewer$. We hear the $ame thing during the programming but during prayer while talking to God? sad.gif

Ro$yroi

why do you keep watching?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Jul 23 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #42

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Jul 20 2007, 06:11 PM) *

When an organization states that

"Hope Channel strives to reach the highest standards of Christian ministry and professional integrity. As the official television network of the Adventist Church, we operate according to church policy and are accountable to the church constituency."

"Hope Channel leadership is appointed by the world church. Our operating board is comprised of church leaders and lay leaders from around the world."

The programming should reflect just that. One can expect less from an independent minstry (although they should not) but have to "raise the bar" when it comes to official entities of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (or any church for that matter)--best intentions and all.

They have not claimed to be anything; they state what they are striving to do... and just like you they come closer to attaining it in some points than they do in others...and they remain a work in progress and while you are giving 3ABN  a free pass, there is no website called savedthruhopechannel.com... independent ministry or not, any entity that claims the ability to save is blasphemous...and yet you are silent in that regard...

Why is that?

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Daryl Fawcett
post Jul 23 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,851

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 20 2007, 06:22 PM) *
I don't think any channel can be all things to all people, they have to try and hit the happy medeim for the majority of their viewers. That said, have you written them asking them about their programs? If they are not meeting the needs of their watchers maybe they will change, but only if they get input.

I watch neither 3abn or Hope. I just watch BSDA, but not for the rest of the weekend. Off to a hammered dulcimer festival.

Richard

Don't you also watch MSDAOL? smile.gif

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 23 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #44

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

I am glad that you were able to vent. smile.gif

Your frustration is valid, but know that ALL of the Christian Cable and local stations do that--some much more intense than you would imagine. What would make 3ABN any different? Hope TV is doing the same thing....

A media channel operates very differently than departments and ministries within the local church--and conferences. I would expect any all media bradcasting channels to ask for that--yes, some have even stated that there are certain ministries and things that will not be able to occur without a triple increase in donations.

And I will say it again, people are more interested in whether or not that ministry is making a positive difference in their lives. That is what prompts them to give. My educated guess (and I may be wrong) is that 3ABN will receive what it needs financially to move forward. Summer months are always slow for ministries and the local churches. I receive 1-2 requests for donations and to provide monthly support for Hope TV and have for a few years now. It does not make me question them as being "money hungry". The Bible clearly states that you have not because you ask not. People will either choose to give or not to give.

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Jul 23 2007, 02:34 PM) *

Ro$yroi

This post has been edited by simplysaved: Jul 23 2007, 06:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jul 23 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #45

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

To be honest, I have not looked at the site nor read the comments. To also be honest, I would probably respond differently to it than do some. I don't see it as being blasphemous to state that God is blessing and using you as a tool to win souls. BTJM. Many ministries report how many souls have come to Christ, how many people have been successful through the specific ministry they provide, as per scripture that is the fruit. I don't view those ministries as any less Christian.

Being fair, if people were seeking to attack a ministry which I had been in charge of and involved with on this scale--whatever the reasons--I would probably want to show or highlight the positives of the ministry as well--just as Hope Channel has attempted to do.

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Jul 23 2007, 05:59 PM) *
The programming should reflect just that. One can expect less from an independent minstry (although they should not) but have to "raise the bar" when it comes to official entities of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (or any church for that matter)--best intentions and all.[/color]
They have not claimed to be anything; they state what they are striving to do... and just like you they come closer to attaining it in some points than they do in others...and they remain a work in progress and while you are giving 3ABN  a free pass, there is no website called savedthruhopechannel.com... independent ministry or not, any entity that claims the ability to save is blasphemous...and yet you are silent in that regard...

Why is that?

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:11 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church