Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14500&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:13:07 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn Diverts Tithe From The Sda Church, ... and admits it on air!
Shepherdswife
post Jul 30 2007, 04:15 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jul 29 2007, 01:01 AM) *
3ABN, the non-denominational TV ministry that has some SDA employees, has referred on-air to the tithe it has received from an individual.

Do we know that this individual who sent tithe in was SDA? Other Christians use the same term. All we know from the clip that I saw was that the person was not currently tithing to their church, and almost sounded like they were a missing member type. If they were not SDA, would that make it different?

Shepherdswife
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post Jul 30 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jul 29 2007, 10:32 PM) *
You are right it should be kept confidential from the public at large but I do know some church members who sit on the nominating committee talk about who pays and who does not. The Pastor often discusses that and does not like some to hold office when they send their tithe elsewhere. At least that is what I have experienced when I have been on the committee even if it was not appropriate to do. I just never questioned it when the Pastor or treasurer talked about it.

It is possible to let the nom com know that a certain person is not elegible for a certain position without discussing it at length, or even stating why. And I believe that it is SDA policy that some positions be held only by people who are tithing, not just the pastor's preference. Not all churches or pastors follow it the same way, though.

shepherdswife

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 30 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Jul 30 2007, 04:28 AM) *
It is possible to let the nom com know that a certain person is not elegible for a certain position without discussing it at length, or even stating why. And I believe that it is SDA policy that some positions be held only by people who are tithing, not just the pastor's preference. Not all churches or pastors follow it the same way, though.

shepherdswife

Thank you for your input. I just never questioned it before when tithing was discussed but it was always understood that whatever was discussed in the committee was confidential and not to be repeated. I did sit on a couple committes where the pastor did bring up the tithe issue especially when the person was withholding it from that particular conference and sending it elsewhere. They had strong feelings about it. And I think you are right about certain positions being held by tithing people.

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 30 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Jul 30 2007, 03:15 AM) *
Do we know that this individual who sent tithe in was SDA? Other Christians use the same term. All we know from the clip that I saw was that the person was not currently tithing to their church, and almost sounded like they were a missing member type. If they were not SDA, would that make it different?

Reports coming from 3ABN indicate that the organization has always accepted tithe which was clearly marked as such--from SDAs presumably since that is their largest viewing audience.

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post Jul 30 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jul 30 2007, 01:19 PM) *
Reports coming from 3ABN indicate that the organization has always accepted tithe which was clearly marked as such--from SDAs presumably since that is their largest viewing audience.

I think that is correct. I vaguely recall that this subject came up several months ago on this forum and someone called 3abn and they acknowledged that they accept tithe money. Some independant ministries tell people that they do not solicit tithe, but that they are a "tithe worthy" organization. The church can't really stop people from sending tithe, but they can insist that the supportive independant
organizations not solicit tithe.

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 30 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Skyhook @ Jul 30 2007, 11:41 AM) *
I think that is correct. I vaguely recall that this subject came up several months ago on this forum and someone called 3abn and they acknowledged that they accept tithe money. Some independant ministries tell people that they do not solicit tithe, but that they are a "tithe worthy" organization. The church can't really stop people from sending tithe, but they can insist that the supportive independant organizations not solicit tithe.

Very interesting!

I have heard that in the past 3ABN denied that they would take tithe.

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jul 30 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Here is what Linda had to say about it in an interview on Club Adventist in 2004 post #15559. http://tinyurl.com/293vl4

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 30 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(lurker @ Jul 30 2007, 01:40 PM) *
Here is what Linda had to say about it in an interview on Club Adventist in 2004 post #15559. http://tinyurl.com/293vl4

In October of 2004, Fran first made a comment on the Club Adventist forum that a reading of the lawsuit indicated to her that Linda had nothing whatsoever to do with finances at 3ABN.

Linda then subsequently answered a question about tithe by stating, "The tithe given to 3ABN is used to support the pastors working for 3ABN."

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jul 30 2007, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jul 30 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(Skyhook @ Jul 30 2007, 12:41 PM) *
I think that is correct. I vaguely recall that this subject came up several months ago on this forum and someone called 3abn and they acknowledged that they accept tithe money. Some independant ministries tell people that they do not solicit tithe, but that they are a "tithe worthy" organization. The church can't really stop people from sending tithe, but they can insist that the supportive independant
organizations not solicit tithe.

Well if they accept it and broadcast about it ...it looks like it is an acceptable thing to the innocent viewer and then it goes into ? fund and pays for things like the jet plane or the law suit or ?? Please correct me if I have this wrong. unsure.gif oops.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 30 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

A number of years ago, maybe 20 or so, there was a SDA teacher who won $50,000 in a lottery. Not only would the church not accept the tithe (tainted money) but he lost his job over gambling.

Richard

QUOTE(Skyhook @ Jul 30 2007, 02:31 AM) *
This is a little off topic, but here is an interesting news article.
Jerry Yang, a 39 year old psychologist just won the world's championship of poker in Las Vegas. He will give 10% of his $8.25 million winnings to charities including Ronald McDonald House, Make a Wish Foundation, Feed the Children, and his alma mater, Loma Linda University.
So, maybe he's not an Adventist, but one never knows. I wonder if the school will accept his donation. If not, I'm pretty sure I know of a "non denominational organization" who would.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289740,00.html

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Jul 30 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jul 30 2007, 05:42 PM) *
A number of years ago, maybe 20 or so, there was a SDA teacher who won $50,000 in a lottery. Not only would the church not accept the tithe (tainted money) but he lost his job over gambling.

The "church" accepting the money from an SDA employee and Loma Linda University accepting something from an alumnus might possibly be treated differently. Also 20 years or so can make a difference in attitudes and practices...for example, look at what the church is tolerating with 3ABN now, as a supporting ministry.

This post has been edited by Artiste: Jul 30 2007, 06:55 PM

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jul 30 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

You know I was thinking the same thing about the passage of time. Makes you wonder what has happened to our backbone the last couple of decades don't it?

Somehow I believe Loma Linda will accept the money.

QUOTE(Artiste @ Jul 30 2007, 08:54 PM) *
The "church" accepting the money from an SDA employee and Loma Linda University accepting something from an alumnus might possibly be treated differently. Also 20 years or so can make a difference in attitudes and practices...for example, look at what the church is tolerating with 3ABN now, as a supporting ministry.

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jul 30 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

I had to get out my Kleenex reading those questions and Linda's answers. I noticed she NEVER said anything bad against Danny or others at the compound. She has a very forgiving loving spirit that showed through in her answers she gave.

Confirms my former feelings when I first heard bad things against Linda and I tried finding out what the the real story was. I didn't believe the rumors. Thank you BSDA for standing up and allowing the truth to be told and for allowing the other side to vent their feelings. Shows the true colors on all sides.

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jul 30 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #29

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Jul 30 2007, 08:59 PM) *
Confirms my former feelings when I first heard bad things against Linda and I tried finding out what the the real story was. I didn't believe the rumors. Thank you BSDA for standing up and allowing the truth to be told and for allowing the other side to vent their feelings. Shows the true colors on all sides.

One side goes to lawyers, the other side goes to the Lord ....

Don't get me wrong, lawyers are entirely necessary, and all proper respect to Linda's counsel, Pickle & Joy's .... but where one draws one's strength from comes through on the outside, and no one can hide it.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post Jul 31 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

Here is a link to the saga of a fairly affluent Adventist dentist who was involved in handling his affluent father's finances as his father became very old--like over 100 yrs old. The father left a lot of money and property to the church with stipulations as to how it would be divided by the church for various purposes. The dentist also has given large amounts to the church. The story documents the behavior of the various conference trust service people and conference president as well as General Conference
people in relation to the aged father and mother and the dentist. It is only by the grace of God that the dentist did not become embittered and disillusioned at the incompetance and negligence and deviousness of some of these church officials in dealing with people and money.

http://www.advmca.org/articles/Truth%20Decay.html

This post has been edited by Skyhook: Jul 31 2007, 01:38 AM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:13 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church