Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14875&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:10:35 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does The Bible Endorse Veganism?
lowender
post Aug 13 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,696

Some people practice veganism to be kind to animals. Some practice it for optimal health. Some practice it to protest against big corporations. Some practice it because they believe they can draw closer to God.

Does the Bible support veganism?

Does Ellen White support veganism?

Is veganism a necessary component to being saved?

Let's hear what you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whtz Happenin
post Aug 14 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 14 2007, 01:06 AM) *
Some people practice veganism to be kind to animals. Some practice it for optimal health. Some practice it to protest against big corporations. Some practice it because they believe they can draw closer to God.

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is..."

I use to drive my 1974 Vega to church.
Attached File  74.vega.wagon.500.jpg ( 41.16K ) Number of downloads: 0

Is the fact that I went to church more important than the vehicle that got me there?

I just do my best to make sure that I am following a Christ-ler, then everything else seems to work out.

This post has been edited by Whtz Happenin: Aug 14 2007, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
mystery- man
post Aug 14 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,439

QUOTE(Whtz Happenin @ Aug 14 2007, 12:40 AM) *
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is..."

[attachment=897:74.vega.wagon.500.jpg]
Is the fact that I went to church more important than the vehicle that got me there?

I just do my best to make sure that I am following a Christ-ler, then everything else seems to work out.

I definitly believe this post is in the wrong section, however I will give it a try.

Is the fact that I went to church more important than the vehicle that got me there? That is a loaded question perhaps the car is more important than the church if there is a carbon leak in the exaust system that leaves you incapable of hearing the message.

Is diet essential to salvation; most definitly. If one chooses not to get off of crack cocain it will definitly destroy his walk with God. The health of the body most definitly effects the mind----what you read what you choose to look at what you choose to listen to definitly has a effect on your salvation. Now in ignorance God shows mercy for your lack of knowledge but once you have the light he requires you to follow that knowledge. There are many examples of diet restrains that God put on the children of Israel (such as the clean and unclean meats) because he understood the importance of a healthy body a healthier mind. Obviously Mad Cow desease will make it difficult for your walk with God.

Actually, you dont need the writings of Ellen G. White a study of health principles will show you. I find this topic kinda funny. I remember some time back I was reading in a singles room and I happen upon a young lady that described herself as a vegan. I guessed that she was Avdentist because of the way she described eating habits. She knew nothing of Adventism and had simply studied the effects of meat eating and arrived that she would be better off without it.

+Quote Post
lowender
post Aug 14 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Aug 14 2007, 02:20 AM) *
I definitly believe this post is in the wrong section, however I will give it a try.

Is the fact that I went to church more important than the vehicle that got me there? That is a loaded question perhaps the car is more important than the church if there is a carbon leak in the exaust system that leaves you incapable of hearing the message.

Is diet essential to salvation; most definitly. If one chooses not to get off of crack cocain it will definitly destroy his walk with God. The health of the body most definitly effects the mind----what you read what you choose to look at what you choose to listen to definitly has a effect on your salvation. Now in ignorance God shows mercy for your lack of knowledge but once you have the light he requires you to follow that knowledge. There are many examples of diet restrains that God put on the children of Israel (such as the clean and unclean meats) because he understood the importance of a healthy body a healthier mind. Obviously Mad Cow desease will make it difficult for your walk with God.
Actually, you dont need the writings of Ellen G. White a study of health principles will show you. I find this topic kinda funny. I remember some time back I was reading in a singles room and I happen upon a young lady that described herself as a vegan. I guessed that she was Avdentist because of the way she described eating habits. She knew nothing of Adventism and had simply studied the effects of meat eating and arrived that she would be better off without it.

I really didnt mean to put this in the "3ABN" category... Do you know how i can get it in some other category?

+Quote Post
Brenda
post Aug 14 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 1,814

"Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

If you are practising as a vegan to give glory to God, go for it.

If you are practising as a vegan to give glory/selfrighteousness to yourself, forget it.

Or is my logic perverted?

+Quote Post
Denny
post Aug 14 2007, 04:09 AM
Post #6

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 14 2007, 08:50 AM) *
I really didnt mean to put this in the "3ABN" category... Do you know how i can get it in some other category?

Ask the moderators to move this to another section either The Cafe or Health

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Denny
post Aug 14 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #7

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 14 2007, 06:06 AM) *

Question 1 - No, meat eating was part of the Jewish diet. There will be meat eaters in heaven, in fact they are already there. However it does not condemn veganism either.

Question 2 - Probably, she supported many things, however she is not The Leader is she?

Question 3 - No salvation is never about what we do the sooner we learn this the better. 'The just shall live by faith' not by how many vegan meals one consumes.

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Aug 14 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #8

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

Vega? Did you mean Vegan? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Whtz Happenin @ Aug 14 2007, 02:40 AM) *

[attachment=897:74.vega.wagon.500.jpg]

+Quote Post
blackmasculinity
post Aug 14 2007, 06:29 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 4,045

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 14 2007, 12:06 AM) *

I was raised to be vegan as a good Adventist. As a teenager, I continued but became more impressed with pacifist reasons such as being kinds to animals.

Does th bieble support it? Depends on how you interperet certain texts?
Does Ellen White suppro it? Of course she does, even though she didnot follow it.
Is it a necessary component? Deoepnda on how you are convicted.

--------------------
They can't handle the rainbow.

+Quote Post
Ian
post Aug 14 2007, 08:00 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 13 2007, 11:06 PM) *

Yes.

God's perfect will:

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, [ including diets] and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God's permissive will, if necessary:

Gen 9:2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
Gen 9:5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man

1Cr 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

She supported and pointed to the biblical standards.

Is obedience?

First God delivered Israel from bondage, then he gave them his law and said If ye love me walk in it.

I think you should answer these questions:

Was the forbidden fruit in Eden a matter of salvation for Adam and Eve?

Do vegans break your bones, or threaten, or harm you or your family in some way?

Do they take away your right to eat what you choose? or condemn you for doing so?

+Quote Post
Clay
post Aug 14 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #11

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

No.....

Gen 9:3-4 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herb. (4) But you shall not eat of flesh with the life in it, or the blood of it.

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
lowender
post Aug 14 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ian @ Aug 14 2007, 09:00 AM) *
Yes.

God's perfect will:

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, [ including diets] and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 9:2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
Gen 9:5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man
1Cr 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
Is obedience?

First God delivered Israel from bondage, then he gave them his law and said If ye love me walk in it.

Do vegans break your bones, or threaten, or harm you or your family in some way?

Do they take away your right to eat what you choose? or condemn you for doing so?

Good points... I think the forbidden fruit in Eden wasn't so much a matter of what was eaten, but the matter of obediance.

+Quote Post
lowender
post Aug 14 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(lowender @ Aug 14 2007, 11:05 AM) *
Good points... I think the forbidden fruit in Eden wasn't so much a matter of what was eaten, but the matter of obediance.

But I have been condemned for eating meat, and cheese... these were sda vegans who were saying i was sinning, not that i was killing an animal...

+Quote Post
Denny
post Aug 14 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ian @ Aug 14 2007, 03:00 PM) *
Yes.

God's perfect will:

God's perfect will

The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

Is obedience?

God's permissive will
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them

So who is ready to join my Adventist nudist colony so we can be exactly like God original fashion designed? What no takers? blink.gif

Er bigger question do vegans sin?

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
Aletheia
post Aug 14 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #15

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,621

QUOTE(Clay @ Aug 14 2007, 11:45 AM) *
No.....

Gen 9:3-4 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herb. (4) But you shall not eat of flesh with the life in it, or the blood of it.

A little offtopic, but a question I have wondered about before. What exactly is meant by "every moving thing"??

Certainly we know God never meant the unclean animals, for their was only one pair of each of them on the ark (and seven of the clean) and so each if eaten would have made that species extinct.

So we know Noah didn't have a Hog roast on leaving the ark.

The Hebrew word is 'remes" ( Strongs #7431 ) and in every other use is translated "creeping thing" or "that creepeth"

Remes is most often only one of a list, in addition to beast or catlle and fowls etc..

See:

Creation:
Gen 1:24 And God 0430 said 0559 , Let the earth 0776 bring forth 03318 the living 02416 creature 05315 after his kind 04327, cattle 0929, and creeping thing 07431, and beast 02416 of the earth 0776 after his kind 04327: and it was so.

Gen 1:25 And God 0430 made 06213 the beast 02416 of the earth 0776 after his kind 04327, and cattle 0929 after their kind 04327, and every thing that creepeth 07431 upon the earth 0127 after his kind 04327: and God 0430 saw 07200 that [it was] good 02896.

Gen 1:26 And God 0430 said 0559 , Let us make 06213 man 0120 in our image 06754, after our likeness 01823: and let them have dominion 07287 over the fish 01710 of the sea 03220, and over the fowl 05775 of the air 08064, and over the cattle 0929, and over all the earth 0776, and over every creeping thing 07431 that creepeth 07430 upon the earth 0776.

The Flood
Gen 6:7 And the LORD 03068 said 0559 , I will destroy 04229 man 0120 whom I have created 01254 from the face 06440 of the earth 0127; both man 0120, and 05704 beast 0929, and the creeping thing 07431, and the fowls 05775 of the air 08064; for it repenteth 05162 me that I have made 06213 them.

Gen 6:20 Of fowls 05775 after their kind 04327, and of cattle 0929 after their kind 04327, of every creeping thing 07431 of the earth 0127 after his kind 04327, two 08147 of every [sort] shall come 0935 unto thee, to keep [them] alive 02421 .

Gen 7:14 They 01992, and every beast 02416 after his kind 04327, and all the cattle 0929 after their kind 04327, and every creeping thing 07431 that creepeth 07430 upon the earth 0776 after his kind 04327, and every fowl 05775 after his kind 04327, every bird 06833 of every sort 03671.

Gen 7:23 And every living substance 03351 was destroyed 04229 which was upon the face 06440 of the ground 0127, both man 0120, and cattle 0929, and the creeping things 07431, and the fowl 05775 of the heaven 08064; and they were destroyed 04229 from the earth 0776: and Noah 05146 only 0389 remained 07604 [alive], and they that 0834 [were] with him in the ark 08392.

Gen 8:17 Bring forth 03318 with thee every living thing 02416 that [is] with thee, of all flesh 01320, [both] of fowl 05775, and of cattle 0929, and of every creeping thing 07431 that creepeth 07430 upon the earth 0776; that they may breed abundantly 08317 in the earth 0776, and be fruitful 06509 , and multiply 07235 upon the earth 0776.

Gen 8:19 Every beast 02416, every creeping thing 07431, and every fowl 05775, [and] whatsoever 03605 creepeth 07430 upon the earth 0776, after their kinds 04940, went forth 03318 out of the ark 08392.

Gen 9:3 Every moving thing 07431 that liveth 02416 shall be meat 0402 for you; even as the green 03418 herb 06212 have I given 05414 you all things.

Remes is only used 17 times, if you want to see the other verses where it is found, go here:

http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon...amp;Version=kjv

I can't agree with the definition by Thayers on blue letter bible for it is not found referring to the definitions they give?????

This post has been edited by Aletheia: Aug 14 2007, 10:20 AM

--------------------
And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD. .. in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD. Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. Lev 19:12-18

Pro 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:10 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church