Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15530&st=255 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:01:18 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rhema: The Basic Belief Of The "word Of Faith Movement"..., How does it relate to Adventism?
beartrap
post Sep 28 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #256

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Sep 28 2007, 02:40 PM) *
Who was it that said the strongest argument in favor of the gospel is a loving and lovable Christian?

I think that was Mahatma Ghandi. I believe he is also the man who said "If Christians followed the example of Christ, everyone would be a Christian."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
roxe
post Sep 28 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #257

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Sep 28 2007, 01:21 PM) *
I'm trying to get the hang of this...maybe beartrap could help me. Is this how it works?
John 10:34, 35 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

My Own Rhema Affirmation Sample
I AM now positioned to be among the Gods
He has given me authority and eternal power to be a God also
His Word has come unto me and made me a god
He will not--cannot--break his promise of Scripture
The Lord Jehovah-rapha has made me thus
I trust His Word and send it back to Him
With a humble heart I am now become like Him
Holiness and Righteous shall follow me
I M worthy of his calling and accept his Word
What is tomorrow will be today..I cannot deny Him
I AM anointed to be a god. I believe, now I have spoken.

Laurence,

I think you are getting the hang of it. Your sample is pretty much how the affirmations would be pulled out of those texts. Scary, isn't it...

Didn't you post that SQ also put the emphasis on the words "I am"?? More than anything else, trying to say those two words during the 3 or 4 days I actually tried this, was the thing that made me the most uncomfortable... and I just couldn't continue.

+Quote Post
Musashi
post Sep 28 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 4,291

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 28 2007, 07:15 PM) *
I think that was Mahatma Ghandi. I believe he is also the man who said "If Christians followed the example of Christ, everyone would be a Christian."

"the strongest argument in favor of the gospel is a loving and lovable Christian" MINISTRY OF HEALING P470

--------------------
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
--Henry David Thoreau

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Sep 28 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #259

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 27 2007, 11:22 PM) *
This whole Rhema thing appears to me to be a psychological exercise in

1. wanting something
2. finding a text that says you deserve it
3. Repeating the text that you "says you deserve it" until you believe that you do deserve it
4. Using scripture to lend divine weight to your desire
5. Using the divine weight to cause yourself to believe that it must inevitably happen for you since it is divinely appointed
6. acting on the divine appointment of what you want

This is a spinoff on the many new-age doctrines that tell you that if you want something bad enough, and you believe it will happen, and you visualize it happenning, it will happen, because you will make it happen. At least that is how I see it.

You have such a way with words. Thank you. That is how I have been thinking but didn't have the right words to say it.

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Sep 28 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #260

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(roxe)
Laurence,

I think you are getting the hang of it. Your sample is pretty much how the affirmations would be pulled out of those texts. Scary, isn't it...

Didn't you post that SQ also put the emphasis on the words "I am"?? More than anything else, trying to say those two words during the 3 or 4 days I actually tried this, was the thing that made me the most uncomfortable... and I just couldn't continue.

Thanks, roxe. That sample was only for illustration purposes...to show that one can get carried away with a process. I think Quinn says something to the effect that the possibilities are endless. Since the "ye are gods" text says "he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came," I'm sure Quinn is quite familiar with it. I was wondering what she would do, or has done, with it. DS too. Because, once you believe you're in that place of a god, you can do no wrong, right? That's the feeling I get from that crowd...that eveyone else is always wrong. They are the anointed and blessed. That they have their own spiritual guide at the compound.

I prefer the method that David talks about though, and EGW, and the one that WB mentioned: that we receive God's message and promises into our hearts and this leads us to a solid life based on an even-handed and everlasting principle, not just exhilarating and spasmodic bursts imagining God is speaking though our voice and that we are somehow recieving the "mind of Christ" through the exercise.

Is there much power in it? Yes. And much light? Yes. But no sweet peace that EGW talks about in Early Writings p.55-6 that differentiates the true followers of Christ from those who have been fooled.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Sep 29 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #261

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 28 2007, 05:15 PM) *

beartrap,

Close!

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
roxe
post Sep 29 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #262

Advanced Member

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Sep 28 2007, 09:37 PM) *
Thanks, roxe. That sample was only for illustration purposes...to show that one can get carried away with a process. I think Quinn says something to the effect that the possibilities are endless. Since the "ye are gods" text says "he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came," I'm sure Quinn is quite familiar with it. I was wondering what she would do, or has done, with it. DS too. Because, once you believe you're in that place of a god, you can do no wrong, right? That's the feeling I get from that crowd...that eveyone else is always wrong. They are the anointed and blessed. That they have their own spiritual guide at the compound.
I prefer the method that David talks about though, and EGW, and the one that WB mentioned: that we receive God's message and promises into our hearts and this leads us to a solid life based on an even-handed and everlasting principle, not just exhilarating and spasmodic bursts imagining God is speaking though our voice and that we are somehow recieving the "mind of Christ" through the exercise.
Is there much power in it? Yes. And much light? Yes. But no sweet peace that EGW talks about in Early Writings p.55-6 that differentiates the true followers of Christ from those who have been fooled.

Once upon a time I spent more than a couple years reading and re-reading EW54-56. Such a simple story... almost too simple. But what wealth of treasure in that simple writing! I never dreamed of all that is there. And the last paragraph... oh my... so sad so many don't understand their prayers may be answered by the enemy instead of God.
See also EW 259-261

+Quote Post
lurker
post Sep 30 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #263

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Puting this here only because it mentioned the word of faith movement. Wait for the whole thing to load- doesn't take long.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20070929/us_t...ersscandalprone

+Quote Post
roxe
post Oct 1 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #264

Advanced Member

Just ran across this page... "How about a few "I AM" affirmations"

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=110657

no.gif

+Quote Post
Ian
post Oct 2 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #265

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

QUOTE(Rosyroi @ Sep 28 2007, 08:53 PM) *
You have such a way with words. Thank you. That is how I have been thinking but didn't have the right words to say it.

Did any of you watch the panel and questions from the audience at the 3ABN campmeeeting?
Shelly Quinn in her answers explained much of this and it is not as you are perceiving it, at all.
In fact , her programs on "Exalting His word" do as well, and so I am quite sure that those who do not have a bias and watch them will think just as I do, that you don't know what you are talking about.

It appears you, and several others don't want to see anything but fault here, and I am convinced that no matter what anyone else offers or explains, that is what you will continue to do.

In my opinion, it t is unfortunate that Mrs Quinn has used the word affirmation, as it has a negative connotation because of the way others have applied it. I am convinceed if she said and taught the exact same things, with the same exact meanings, without using the words "rhema" and "affirmation" you would all be hard pressed to find fault here at all.

Because she has, you are all more interested in what others say and teach and what their meanings are, so that you may apply those things to her, and her writings and interpret it all n that way, to justify your nit picking and faultfinding.

The more I read in this thread, the more I am becoming convinced that all that she says is being taken out of context.

PB, has twice now quoted exact in context quotes showing that this is the case.

Thank you Pb.

I would like to encourage all here to watch Shelly Quinn's programs and judge for yourself, if you do so, you will see how Jesus is lifted up and it is all about what God can and will do when you take him and his word by faith.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Oct 2 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #266

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Ian @ Oct 2 2007, 08:42 AM) *
Did any of you watch the panel and questions from the audience at the 3ABN campmeeeting?
Shelly Quinn in her answers explained much of this and it is not as you are perceiving it, at all.
In fact , her programs on "Exalting His word" do as well, and so I am quite sure that those who do not have a bias and watch them will think just as I do, that you don't know what you are talking about.

It appears you, and several others don't want to see anything but fault here, and I am convinced that no matter what anyone else offers or explains, that is what you will continue to do.

In my opinion, it t is unfortunate that Mrs Quinn has used the word affirmation, as it has a negative connotation because of the way others have applied it. I am convinceed if she said and taught the exact same things, with the same exact meanings, without using the words "rhema" and "affirmation" you would all be hard pressed to find fault here at all.

The word Rhema is used exclusively by certain bodies of believers. You are correct that the "exact same things" can be taught and practiced without using the word. That also is done in certain segments of Christianity. And it is a false practice based on false doctrine whether done without the label or with it.

Affirmation is a more neutral word, and has doctrinally neutral uses both within and without Christian circles. One has to take in the context in which it is used... and the expectations placed upon its use... in order to figure out whether one should "find fault" with its use.

Because she has, you are all more interested in what others say and teach and what their meanings are, so that you may apply those things to her, and her writings and interpret it all n that way, to justify your nit picking and faultfinding.

The more I read in this thread, the more I am becoming convinced that all that she says is being taken out of context.

PB, has twice now quoted exact in context quotes showing that this is the case.

Thank you Pb.

I would like to encourage all here to watch Shelly Quinn's programs and judge for yourself, if you do so, you will see how Jesus is lifted up and it is all about what God can and will do when you take him and his word by faith.

There is a certain group of doctrines that accompany the use of the word Rhema in Word/Faith communities of faith. It was, in fact, things that I heard Shelly say.... even before I realized that she used the word Rhema with Word/Faith definitions for it..... that involved some of these doctrines, that caused me to realize that she had not left her basic Word/Faith doctrines and definitions behind when she joined the Adventist church.

Unfortunately, this is not all that unusual, with the result that these doctrines have been infiltrating Adventist books for some years. And since Adventist ministers and teachers are for the most part content to preach against only a few doctrinal errors that have been "standard" throughout our history.... many of them not even taking the trouble to keep up with the errancies that have become very popular in the Christian world in the last 50 years.... it is understandable that many do not even recognize them as errors.

As to what she says in her book.... I am still awaiting the arrival of my copy before I say more about that... even about things that have been posted for us here.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Oct 2 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #267

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

Ian, as you have probably gathered if you have read carefully through this thread, we are attempting to carry on a positive exercise in discovery together. The point is to get to the bottom of what Shelly Quinn is really saying in her book and whether or not it merits the concern that roxe and some others have suggested.

There have been a few flare-ups of ad hominem style posts, but for the most part I believe we are meeting the challenge that has been proposed.

I'm certainly sorry that I didn't know Shelly Quinn was going to address concerns about her rhema affirmation process. It is nice to know that we at BSDA are still being heard there in S.IL! I will see if I can find a recording of the program. When was it on, Ian?

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Oct 2 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #268

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

QUOTE(Ian)
...you will see how Jesus is lifted up and it is all about what God can and will do when you take him and his word by faith.

When you say "word" do you mean his written word, or Christ the Word?

Generally, Quinn means the written Word when she says it should be exalted. She makes that very clear. But I agree with EGW that the Father and Son alone should be exalted and that, as she says, the written word should not be a distraction from the one who stands beside it.

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Ian
post Oct 2 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #269

Advanced Member

QUOTE(watchbird @ Oct 2 2007, 07:03 AM) *
The word Rhema is used exclusively by certain bodies of believers.

For example, the early Christian Church... let's not condemn all with that broad brush.

It is found 70 times in the New Testament scriptures.

Here's some examples:

Mat 4:3-4 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every RHEMA that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
"
Jhn 5:46-47 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my RHEMA?

John 6:61- When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? [What] and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the RHEMA that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Jhn 8:20 These RHEMA spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.

John 8:47 -51 He that is of God heareth God's RHEMA: ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God.
Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my RHEMA, he shall never see death.

Mar 9:31-32 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
But they understood not that RHEMA, and were afraid to ask

Luke 9:43-
And they were all amazed at the mighty power of God. But while they wondered every one at all things which Jesus did, he said unto his disciples,
Let these RHEMA sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men.
But they understood not this RHEMA and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that RHEMA

Luk 20:25-26 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.
And they could not take hold of his RHEMA before the people: and they marvelled at his answer, and held their peace.

Jhn 12:48-50 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my RHEMA, hath one that judgeth him: the Logos that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Jhn 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the RHEMA that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do [it].
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Jhn 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy logos
7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
8 For I have given unto them the RHEMA which thou gavest me; and they have received [them], and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

Luke 24:3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down [their] faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
8 And they remembered his RHEMA

Act 5:18 And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
19 But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,
20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the RHEMA of this life.
25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
26 Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
27 And when they had brought them, they set [them] before the council: and the high priest asked them,
28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the [other] apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand [to be] a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are his witnesses of these RHEMA; and [so is] also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
33 When they heard [that], they were cut [to the heart], and took counsel to slay them.

Act 11:12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14 Who shall tell thee RHEMA, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16 hen remembered I the RHEMA of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as [he did] unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

There is alot more, such as;

Rom 10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The RHEMA is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the RHEMA of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the RHEMA of God.

or:

Matt 18
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses that every RHEMA may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

I think we can all get the idea, rhema by itself is nothing, but when it is the rhema of God, it is everything and it is life. When God speaks, IT IS , just as in the beginning, and it is always good.

Hbr 11:3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the RHEMA of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Heb 1:1-3 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds. Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the RHEMAof his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Eph 5:25.. love... even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the RHEMA,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Our Creator can most certainly recreate us in His image, according to his will his purpose and his word.

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful [is] he that calleth you, who also will do [it]

Hbr 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of RHEMA; which [voice] they that heard intreated that the Logos should not be spoken to them any more:
20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
21 And so terrible was the sight, [that] Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.
25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more [shall not] we [escape], if we turn away from him that [speaketh] from heaven:
26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this [word], Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear
29 For our God is a consuming fire.

What specific words (rhema) was spoken to them? The ten commandments, which are called the ten dabar(Hebrew - for "words" also) in the Old Testament. The text above speaks of our Lord being the mediator of the new covenant, of which he says: that he will put these words, his commandments in our hearts and minds.

Those commandments (dabar) often seen as restrictive are actual promises of what we will do when he does this. He changes us from the inside out. That's why if we love him we will keep them by grace through faith.

Jer 31
But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, [and] the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts [is] his name:
36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, [then] the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever

An affirmation:
"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

1 Peter 1:18
Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers;
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, [see that ye] love one another with a pure heart fervently:
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Logos of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
23 For all flesh [is] as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
24 But the RHEMA of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the RHEMA which by the gospel is preached unto you.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the RHEMA of God:
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints

"The significance of rhema (as distinct from logos) is exemplified in the injunction to take "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," Eph 6:17; here the reference is not to the whole Bible as such, but to the individual scripture which the Spirit brings to our remembrance for use in time of need, a prerequisite being the regular storing of the mind with Scripture. "
--Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words

I know that this is long and there is alot of scripture, but as I tried to explain previously, context, and how words are used is important. I hope this helps some reading here to understand the word "rhema" a little better.

+Quote Post
Ian
post Oct 2 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #270

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PeacefulBe @ Oct 2 2007, 07:46 AM) *
Ian, as you have probably gathered if you have read carefully through this thread, we are attempting to carry on a positive exercise in discovery together. The point is to get to the bottom of what Shelly Quinn is really saying in her book and whether or not it merits the concern that roxe and some others have suggested.

There have been a few flare-ups of ad hominem style posts, but for the most part I believe we are meeting the challenge that has been proposed.

I'm certainly sorry that I didn't know Shelly Quinn was going to address concerns about her rhema affirmation process. It is nice to know that we at BSDA are still being heard there in S.IL! I will see if I can find a recording of the program. When was it on, Ian?

I'm sorry that I don't see all of us looking to find the truth, as you do. To me it appears some here have made up their minds and seek only to support their preconceived negative opinions, and that the spirit of criticism is always governing what they say and see. They don't start with questions, they start with conclusions, and then keep digging to support that.

Please don't take that wrong, I said some, NOT ALL.

I'm not going to play games and pretend to be blind or wear rosy glasses, and ignore the obvious, nor apologise for that. Nor am I going to believe that only the ones that those finding fault with 3abn perceive as being Dannyclones need to be corrected here, or that only they have the wrong spirit. That goes for this thread and any other on this forum. Ask yourself how many mean spirited nasty negative comments and posts you never reply to, or correct.

If you have a hard time figuring it out, pm me, I'll give you a list of posts and words you can critique.

All it does is make myself and others not want to even try to discuss anything, and reveal to the readers how one sided so many here are.

Moving on.

Don't get to excited. I doubt she has read this thread, or comes to BSDA at all.

To clarify, Shelly Quinn's answers were on the Thursday night live program, and were not in relation to any about rhema, or her book, nor do I remember her even using the word rhema or affirmation, but I do remember thinking that I wished all taking part in this thread or reading it, could hear her.

What she said was in answer to questions about how to pray, when you didn't like to, or get anything from it, and being born again, that kind of thing. Her answers were related to what she has been teaching about that though, and related to what we are discussing here, and even the criticisms posted here.

This post has been edited by Ian: Oct 2 2007, 10:50 AM

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:01 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church